Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge temperature

• 26-05-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

This may be a silly question. I have a small fridge with a little freezer box at the top. There is a dial on the inside of the fridge with numbers 1-7.

Do these numbers mean the temperature? If I have it at 3 or 4 is that ok? I don't store much in the fridge.

Also the freezer box door gets covered in ice that I have to chip off everytime I want to get something out. But the fridge has only been on for about a month or two (just moved into the house). Should this be happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭eire1

1-7 are the temp settings, 7 being the highest- coldest. Leave it at about 4. If the freezer is doing that the door might be left open too long, or a bad door seal could be letting hot air in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Mink wrote: »
    This may be a silly question. I have a small fridge with a little freezer box at the top. There is a dial on the inside of the fridge with numbers 1-7.

Do these numbers mean the temperature? If I have it at 3 or 4 is that ok? I don't store much in the fridge.

Also the freezer box door gets covered in ice that I have to chip off everytime I want to get something out. But the fridge has only been on for about a month or two (just moved into the house). Should this be happening?

As pointed out, 7 is "colder" and 1 is "warmer".

Switch the dial as close to the 1 side of things as possible - consistant with decent shelf life of stuff in the fridge. The "warmer" the fridge, the less ice build you get (all else considered)

Don't leave the door to the fridge open for periods of time. Open, take your stuff out/put it in, then close. You let more warm air in if you leave the door open whilst you work in the kitchen - moisture then turns to ice

Open and close the door gently - rather than yanking open and slamming shut. This too reduces the amount of air moving in/out and reduces ice build up

Does the fridge motor actually stop and start periodically (it should stop when it reaches the set temperature and you can here it stopping and starting up). Sometimes the temp control doesn't work properly meaning the fridge just gets colder and colder - despite your dial setting.

Is the ice box door closing properly - they often get broken, letting in more moist air. A little ice build up will often prevent the door closing to the box letting morre air in = more ice. Defrost the fridge completely from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cat_M

eire1 wrote: »
    1-7 are the temp settings, 7 being the highest- coldest. Leave it at about 4. If the freezer is doing that the door might be left open too long, or a bad door seal could be letting hot air in

My fridge-freezer settings are 1-5. What should it be at? It's never more than half full. I never touched it til recently when i had visitors the black llight came on - i guess cos suddenly the fridge was chock-a-block and i guessed the temp was no longer adequate so I turned it lower. Seemed fine. Since they left, fridge has been mostly empty and suddenly everthing was freezing even my milk, so must have been too cold. Now I can' t rem what I had it at originally. It's currently 2.5, half-way, just a guess, though!

Advertisement