Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackeral 2020

• 09-06-2020 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

Any sign of them on East Coast at all?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Two of us fished Howth yesterday from kayaks. Other chap got one mack and I got zero!
    Chatting to two lads on a boat behind Ireland's Eye and they had about twenty between them. Still very sporadic.
    Lots of Pollock though. At times it was like hitting shoals of macks with a full house on every drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Two of us fished Howth yesterday from kayaks. Other chap got one mack and I got zero!
    Chatting to two lads on a boat behind Ireland's Eye and they had about twenty between them. Still very sporadic.
    Lots of Pollock though. At times it was like hitting shoals of macks with a full house on every drop.

I was on the outside of Dún Laoghaire East pier yesterday. Didn't seem to be aything about, there was a few others along there too. Lads up the West didn't land any either. I'll be back out to other spots around Dublin over the next few weeks so there's time yet for the numbers to get bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Been up wicklow pier few times and not had a sniff. Plenty of dogs about but not had any macks yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Plenty caught in Co Clare over the weekend, not as big as I'd like but will do for bait

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

US2 wrote: »
    Plenty caught in Co Clare over the weekend, not as big as I'd like but will do for bait

Been out around Dunlicky/Kilkee cliffs a few times myself in the last week, some nice sizes but few and far between for the length of time spent out, had caught more from 7:30 - 9pm when was there, did start about 5 ish give or take a few, left just before dark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

7 mackerel today from the beautiful Sheep’s head in Bantry. Most were quite decent in size . Beautiful day to be out .

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Mapaputsi

Hoping to do a little bit of angling for Mackeral in the coming weeks – have not fished for years but used to go to Ballyvaughan/Black Head and go from the rocks there, had some good evenings in the past but plenty of barren ones also.

Anyone on here been around that area recently and can tell me if I’m wasting my time?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Went out last Saturday between 6 of us caught 3 very small mackerel released them but caught some lovely pollock biggest i seen in a few years i was on a boat off Lambay island

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Mapaputsi wrote: »
    Hoping to do a little bit of angling for Mackeral in the coming weeks – have not fished for years but used to go to Ballyvaughan/Black Head and go from the rocks there, had some good evenings in the past but plenty of barren ones also.

Anyone on here been around that area recently and can tell me if I’m wasting my time?
    Thanks!

Fished there last year, we got 2 mackeral for the week , it's a fxckin joke what them trawlers are getting away with

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

Mapaputsi wrote: »

Thanks!

Was up that way over a week ago, spent couple of evening out, first was down around black head, just down from the lighthouse, was a bust. after that headed towards ballyvaughan and went off the rocks along that road, between 4 of us, we managed a whole pollock, decent enough size, but that was it. we had spent the best part of the day fishing off the rock just south of black head and then spend the end of the day up no the north side of it. Wasnt really a successful trip with the 1 fish, we were using a mix of mackeral and black lug for bait. will probably head further south towards carrigaholt or bridges of ross for next time out

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

CraigM84 wrote: »
    Was up that way over a week ago, spent couple of evening out, first was down around black head, just down from the lighthouse, was a bust. after that headed towards ballyvaughan and went off the rocks along that road, between 4 of us, we managed a whole pollock, decent enough size, but that was it. we had spent the best part of the day fishing off the rock just south of black head and then spend the end of the day up no the north side of it. Wasnt really a successful trip with the 1 fish, we were using a mix of mackeral and black lug for bait. will probably head further south towards carrigaholt or bridges of ross for next time out

Are you looking for rock fishing or beach mark's, North Clare fishes better from the middle of August up until late October..

Yes head southwards, much easier to catch fish from The Bridges of Ross around as far as Leabasheeda in the Estuary...
    Plenty of marks you'll find them online.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wayguk

nothing from howth pier monday, tuesday.
    nothing from portmarnock/malahide yesterday either.
    lots of dog fish.
    do you think the mackerel are late this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭pollocks

Plenty Mack's this morning from Tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 23,180 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thousands of whitebait/sprat jumping on to the beach in Ballymoney, Wexford yesterday. Reckon there must be plenty of Mackrel along the coast chasing them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭flended12

ted1 wrote: »
    Thousands of whitebait/sprat jumping on to the beach in Ballymoney, Wexford yesterday. Reckon there must be plenty of Mackrel along the coast chasing them in.

Good size Mack's off the kayak last few days off wexford coast, blackhall strand. About 2 miles out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Slightly off topic but not entirely... any advice on what kind of rod I would need to fish for mackerel from rocks or piers? Planning a 2 week trip along the coast in west Cork and south Kerry soon, could be an interesting add on for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but not entirely... any advice on what kind of rod I would need to fish for mackerel from rocks or piers? Planning a 2 week trip along the coast in west Cork and south Kerry soon, could be an interesting add on for the kids

The Shakespeare Agility MPV is a great multi purpose rod which will cover a variety of fishing types

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Down in connemara camping in renvyle. No joy this week for Mack's but plenty of doggies. Any suggestions for Mack's around here?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wayguk

they've arrived last night in dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Annagh head last week, tides good this week for evening fishing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

Fished 1 hour up and 1 hour down at poolbeg today and didn't get any, only saw 1 person caught 2 mackerel while I was there and another guy got a decent smooth hound. Now I did catch 4 mackerel yesterday but it was on the boat, got 2 fishing around the Rockabill and another 2 outside the harbour off Lambay.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭westsidestory

Going to be in Courtown Thursday, any advice on evening/early night fishing there?

No mackerel in Skerries today, 1 hour up and 1 hour down lunchtime..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cabletiesfix

A few mackerel last night at Buncrana pier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Going out to howth next week
    Skipper says plenty of mackerel caught for bait
    40 kg yesterday
    Plenty of tope too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

Anything out in Poolbeg?

safetyboy wrote: »
    Anything out in Poolbeg?

Here's a report from Mackerel reports thread on sea-angling-ireland.org:
    Postby GKC0806 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:36 pm

Just went for a walk with this Mrs along Poolbeg lighthouse pier - 2:30pm to 3:00pm, on the rising to full tide.
    A dozen gents at the very end all flinging various mack sabikis and feathers and most catching a couple. One gent in particular obviously casting into a hotspot, as he had filled a large bag with >30, and a few gents were getting them in 3's and 4's at a time. In 20 minutes we sat there, we saw a fair bundle being landed.
    All seemed around 30-40cm size, so fairly decent.

So it's looking good atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭flended12

Plenty of Mack's caught off kilcoole beach south of greystones the other day.

Caught 7 mackerel off Lions head in Howth this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

had a look in Youghal last evening bit after hide tide - lot of people out , some fish caught inc. lad with 6 on cast - but not crazy when i was passing (brief enough) - plenty sprat about

Advertisement