Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

where to get me a cargo bike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Will anybody bother cutting into the wooden box if you add a lockable lid? Might have to run the hinges down the sides for security though.

Yeah a lid was a thought, but after a few more thoughts I started considering trying to work some kind of tarp over it, thanks.
    nak wrote: »
    We have the box Harry vs Larry supply ~€300.

Thanks, trying to keep it cheap for the moment tbh. Might pick one up if I'm in Copenhagen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yeah a lid was a thought, but after a few more thoughts I started considering trying to work some kind of tarp over it, thanks.

If you want to go DIY, you could consider recycling some election posters. I made up a cover for a car trailer out of the last election and a bag of rivets...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    If you want to go DIY, you could consider recycling some election posters. I made up a cover for a car trailer out of the last election and a bag of rivets...

How many years to I have to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Concise reviews of different cargo bikes:
    292728.jpg

Seen here:
    http://www.copenhagenize.com/2014/01/tricked-out-rides-which-bicycle.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

After seeing another cargobike around town last night I went on a hunt for them again but still nothing in my range but I did get a great price from an english company cargobike.co.uk

775 for their lugger
    125 for front disc brake upgrade
    95 for a box

Can't find a weight for it but even in Sterling it seems like a good price

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    After seeing another cargobike around town last night I went on a hunt for them again but still nothing in my range but I did get a great price from an english company cargobike.co.uk

775 for their lugger
    125 for front disc brake upgrade
    95 for a box

Can't find a weight for it but even in Sterling it seems like a good price

They say they build it in UK so might be ok. Can't see them list tubing though. You could probably sort the box yourself and save money, but disc brakes are a definite.

My offer to try the Bullitt still open.

My offer to try the Bullitt still open.

I've had a go on the Bullitt before, and almost got a second hand one in January but I was beaten to the bike by a guy who got there 20 minutes before me. I just can't justify the new price for it, well I can but I can't afford it would be more honest. If I could I definitely would as it was, IMO the same as riding any decent commuter, I have ever ridden.

If I haven't sourced a second hand one or decent equivalent by next year I am going to get a new one but until then I shall keep looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Has to be said that the quality of some of the cheaper cargo bikes on display on Sunday was pretty poor. The Bullitt is well worth the money. Ours is still going strong, but it's well looked after and lives in the hallway (it's spoiled really).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

If your handy with the spanners, the Bullit frame kit is currently €1,317 with about €300 shipping. You can then put whatever you want on gear wise. (You need to let them know if your going internal or external so they can supply the correct drop outs.) I am seriously considering this route, and sacrificing my commuting bike for the parts, but will need to source a front wheel. The bottom bracket is threaded as an FYI. I have not done much research on this, or at least that is what my wife is being told.

idiottje wrote: »
    If your handy with the spanners, the Bullit frame kit is currently €1,317 with about €300 shipping. You can then put whatever you want on gear wise. (You need to let them know if your going internal or external so they can supply the correct drop outs.) I am seriously considering this route, and sacrificing my commuting bike for the parts, but will need to source a front wheel. The bottom bracket is threaded as an FYI. I have not done much research on this, or at least that is what my wife is being told.

Just to be clear, you mean internal hub rather than internal cabling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Just to be clear, you mean internal hub rather than internal cabling.

My husband changed the rear wheel on ours from the original one with the Alfine hub to a wheel with a Shimano cassette without issue.

They say they build it in UK so might be ok. Can't see them list tubing though.

They have got back to me with a typical weight of 28kg without the box, although they have pointed out that they are all custom built so it would depend on the desired length in the end.

Does not sound terrible considering I have heard cheap steel cargo bikes coming in at 34kg+ sans box.

I do like the idea of the frameset and building it up myself but would want to work out the costings for wheels and gearsets etc. My father is quite a handy carpenter and metalworker as well so if I go for it next year I may give him the dimensions for the box (on the bullitt site) to create a custom one if he has time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It might not be posable at the current scale of the cargo bike industry, even across Europe and beyond, but I'd love to see a cargo bike at purchase finance system mirroring a lot of what happens with the financing and sales of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mrsFitz

Just a quick heads up. The next cargo bike championships are happening in the Phoenix park again, this year on Sunday the 21st of June.
    Looking forward to seeing a few more new bikes/faces there.
    spread the word!

These new? Peter Walker of the Guardian mentioned them (and their resemblance to a 1950s' vision of a space rocket) on Twitter.

http://boxercycles.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

the rocket is deadly looking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

mrsFitz wrote: »
    Just a quick heads up. The next cargo bike championships are happening in the Phoenix park again, this year on Sunday the 21st of June.
    Looking forward to seeing a few more new bikes/faces there.
    spread the word!

Do we need to get a ticket as a spectator? Thanks.

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Do we need to get a ticket as a spectator? Thanks.

Not as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

Got an old Cargo bike here taking up valuable space (and dust) in my workshop.
    It works, but needs a new home.

Letting it go at cost price to make room.

PM email address for pics of the beastie if interested.

I might finally have got my finances enough in order to get a bakfiets.

Does anyone know up to what age would it be reasonable to carry children in a bakfiets for someone who's pretty fit (I already carry them one at a time in a trailer, and I pull dozens of kilos of cargo in trailers pretty frequently)? Two children, currently just turned six and approaching four. Six-year-old is pretty average size, three-year-old is small for her age. I was hoping to get about two years carrying both of them before the older one would be ok for longer journeys on her own bike and I'd transport the younger alone. I'm thinking of getting the short-wheel-base one from Greenaer, as I have a goods trailer for extra capacity anyway.

http://www.greenaer.ie/product/bakfiets-cargo-bike-short/

• Advertisement

Also, someone mentioned this to me. First I'd ever heard of it. I reckon a cargo bike would be a lot better, but this is maybe an option:
    http://rideweehoo.com/products/igo-two-2/

Could carry mine for shorter journeys til he was 10 and he's tall for his age

Sorry, that's in a bullitt though

Could carry mine for shorter journeys til he was 10 and he's tall for his age

Sorry, that's in a bullitt though

Might be roughly comparable (Bullitt is lighter, I guess, though). Thanks! That's good to hear. Would have loved to have got this earlier, but reckon can still get good use out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

I have a bakfiets.nl short, but would recommend the long. I doubt there's much difference in weight, cost etc, but the extra space would allow the kids to spread out, maybe lie down, sleep? One of the great things about the bakfiets is the manoeuvrability, and a trailer may detract from this (I've never used a trailer, so don't know).

An option for the older kids is to ride on the carrier. My wife sometimes rides on the carrier, me on the saddle and the kids in the box: they love it!

Mucco wrote: »
    I have a bakfiets.nl short, but would recommend the long. I doubt there's much difference in weight, cost etc,

No, the short is about €100 cheaper, so not much at all. In fact, there's an ex-demo long on offer for about €1300 on the Greenaer website.
    but the extra space would allow the kids to spread out, maybe lie down, sleep? One of the great things about the bakfiets is the manoeuvrability, and a trailer may detract from this (I've never used a trailer, so don't know).
    Don't think it would make that much difference, but I guess I only know how a trailer feels with a standard bike.
    An option for the older kids is to ride on the carrier. My wife sometimes rides on the carrier, me on the saddle and the kids in the box: they love it!

I was thinking that might be an option!

I was thinking the short would be more manoeuvrable, and more likely to fit in my (fairly big) shed.

I'll definitely have a look at the long as well, now you've said that.

My wife has been told that the brakes on the bakfiets are poor and always need fixing.

Has anyone who's used one found the brakes wanting? I am leaning strongly towards the bakfiets, not least because I can just about afford it and it's always come out well in any online discussions or reviews I've seen.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

tomasrojo wrote: »
    My wife has been told that the brakes on the bakfiets are poor and always need fixing.

Has anyone who's used one found the brakes wanting? I am leaning strongly towards the bakfiets, not least because I can just about afford it and it's always come out well in any online discussions or reviews I've seen.

Who told her that?

I don't think I've had any major on-going issues with the brakes -- last serviced around a year ago now and they work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

they're internal roller brakes, standard Dutch bike setup. while they might not be more troublesome, they're definitely less effective than disc brakes. which is not ideal if you're carrying precious cargo

one of the reasons I went with the bullitt is the disc brakes. another being that no matter what went wrong with it, I'd be reasonably certain I could get it running again pretty quickly with spares in the garage, or "donations" from one of my other bikes worst case

monument wrote: »
    Who told her that?

I don't think I've had any major on-going issues with the brakes -- last serviced around a year ago now and they work fine.

Someone with an interest in selling Niholas and Bullitts, funnily enough. Definitely has worked with bakfietsen in the past, but I understand that Shimano roller brakes have improved a lot in the last few years.

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    they're internal roller brakes, standard Dutch bike setup. while they might not be more troublesome, they're definitely less effective than disc brakes. which is not ideal if you're carrying precious cargo

one of the reasons I went with the bullitt is the disc brakes. another being that no matter what went wrong with it, I'd be reasonably certain I could get it running again pretty quickly with spares in the garage, or "donations" from one of my other bikes worst case

I think the Bullitt is outside my price range. I've been using cantilever brakes on my main bike for five years, so my expectations of brakes may not be as high as most anyway.

I think from what I've read the bakfiets should do me fine. I'll give it a test run anyway.

Thanks, all!

Advertisement