Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish "influencers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That Kieran corrigan guy is so irritating

Constantly begging for companies to send him anything (once it’s free)

A lot of the stuff he “promotes” are low level local products/services

Surely to fcuk he can’t be much of a success on it and it’s only a matter of time before he quits??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

fvp4 wrote: »
    Every time I read these threads though I wonder why people who don’t like influencers are affected by influencers. This isn’t a broadcast situation, you have to choose to follow them.
    They are annoyed by influencers who don't influence them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Have any of ye seen tattle.life? Just a bunch of people bitching about influencers. Some nasty stuff on there. I know an Irish influencer and some of the comments about her being a Mother and things like "I hear she doesn't even talk to her stepfather" are a bit much. You can not like the business of influencers but to go on that website and spend your time actually digging into their personal lives is a bit too much.

Google your favourite influencer and site:tattle.life and you'll see what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Every time I read these threads though I wonder why people who don’t like influencers are affected by influencers. This isn’t a broadcast situation, you have to choose to follow them.

People have wife's , husbands, siblings, kids, friends who fall for the nonsense there pedalling that's probably why ,

While they constantly go on about Mental health they are the very people that put pressure on young women (mostly) to be a certain way ,

I hope to god my daughters have the sense not be "influenced " by them

One week there fitness guru's and life's about keeping in shape and your body is a temple , its frees the mind,
    A year down the line they have partied to much and put on a stack of weight and all of a sudden life's about being yourself and not worrying about personally appearance. Would ye ever F*CK off with yourself

I joined Instagram to have a look at different wedding suppliers and to get ideas. My feed is now full of elaborate OTT US weddings, babies, pregnant women, engagement rings, and teeny tiny clothes from French vintage shops.
    So I click on stuff like food in an effort to get rid of the above.

The majority of them are an endless stream of posing and fakery. None are relatable to me. I'm neither overweight or model thin or full of fillers or rich or poor or "mama to x amount of kids/dogs/budgies". It is a fascinating world though. These people are stealing a living from how they look, where they live and what they buy.

I believe many of them require constant external validation in order to bolster wafer thin self esteem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Anyone under 100k followers really isn't making that much unless they have brought out a brand themselves and using that social media presence to market it. I have a friend who would have north of 50k followers, he started out as an internet funny man but now he specifically creates content for brands, he doesn't just hawk low level brands on his page. He gets sent stuff almost daily from brands though he tells me, small brands with probably a lower presence than his.

Instagram is absolutely toxic though, it is the epitome of fake. From people posing next to luxury cars they don't own, trying on designer clothes and posting pictures of them in it, to beauty filters, airbrushed photos.

I have a totally different view of Instagram, but I follow normal people I know and one or two celebs, and a hashtag for my local area. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

Irish Instagram influencers seem to be the sort that would love to be on the likes of RTE, or maybe already are. Once any sort of camera is shoved in front of their face they go into this sort of TV presenter craic shtick that died out a lame death 40 years ago.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

bertsmom wrote: »
    There are some that I follow and find brilliant but these are all people running a business and using their Instagram profile for marketing whilst giving advice and tips on what they sell ie. A paint shop that recommends which product for which job etc BUT there's others like one Dublin girl who is an absolute shambles always giving out wrong information and always on the beg. Her latest thing was saying this particular brand of hot chocolate could increase the size of your heart by up to thirty per cent!!! This kind of rubbish is very dangerous and I think should be dealt with by immediately taking down the account not a weak half assed apology.
    They are so quick to say they are being bullied or trolled then when people call out their lies or complete misinformation. Definitely needs a lot more regulation and stricter standards for all the 'lifestyle and makeup' and health and fitness instahuns.

Well make-up has to abide by very strict EU regulation to make it onto the market at all, so I wouldn't be too worried about what make-up these influencers are recommending.

But I agree with your general point, they don't necessarily know what they're talking about.

have no instagram,just not for me

But my understanding is,its essentially similar to an adult late-late toy show....where they give stuff to "influencers" to review

Is buff egan an influencer??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

buried wrote: »
    Irish Instagram influencers seem to be the sort that would love to be on the likes of RTE, or maybe already are. Once any sort of camera is shoved in front of their face they go into this sort of TV presenter craic shtick that died out a lame death 40 years ago.

Well said. The likes of that dose James kavanagh does this really dated mid 80s presenting style. It’s utter sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

On of the saddest things I saw was one Irish influencer, can’t remember her name but she went out with an Irish rugby player, was on the cover of one of those news paper magazines. And the caption was something like “I didn’t know how to tell my followers my father had cancer”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Boscoirl wrote: »
    On of the saddest things I saw was one Irish influencer, can’t remember her name but she went out with an Irish rugby player, was on the cover of one of those news paper magazines. And the caption was something like “I didn’t know how to tell my followers my father had cancer”

Vogue apparently on one of her awful "documentaries" stated she was depressed as her post didn't get enough likes.....ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I just dont understand why businesses give these morons free products. Would they ever make a return on their money?
    Some of these influencers have no shame when it comes to asking for free stuff too. Free hotel rooms, free meals...all for a favorable review.

I looked it up before as I was baffled by it. But these people get views and are niche markets advertisers are after.
    Fools and their money - broadly speaking..

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I looked it up before as I was baffled by it. But these people get views and are niche markets advertisers are after.
    Fools and their money - broadly speaking..

You had to look it up? Obviously someone with a few hundred thousand followers has some "influence". The cost of giving them some free merchandise for.a mention is a pretty trivial cost in the long run of things.

Actually one of the celebs I follow on Twitter, a TV actress, occasionally promotes stuff. She says when it is paid though.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

I Just hate the word influencer. They a promoters of product's that used to be on shop Windows and adds. Now they are on social media which is the way its gonna be.

Would big media call themselves influencers ie promoting one side of a story in a war or pro Democrat Pro republican.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bunny_mac

Boscoirl wrote: »

:facepalm:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Whenever I hear a grown man talking about "influencers", positively or negatively, whatever respect I had for him (usually very little, to be fair) drops considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I love how they constantly incorrectly spell chancer as influencer.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

Influencers are just people who were influenced by others on the dream of getting paid to be on instagram who now the sell the dream of getting paid to be on instagram to other people who someday hope to get paid to be on instagram.

It's the same with online business coaches. Their only business is selling business coaching to people who want to become business coaches despite never running a business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

I used to really enjoy IG back when it was "just" a photography app. I haven't logged in since October, and I don't miss it at all.

I used to follow lots of dog accounts on IG and I'd get a load of doggie influencer accounts popping up in my feed as potential follows. I'm not into dog pics where the dog is styled up like a human with the obligatory hashtag shoutouts to its' sponsors, but they're obviously the ones that get the best metrics. All I wanted to see were regular cute dog photos but IG seem to think that cute dogs equals a dog dolled up in jumper with matching hat, collar, purse and shoes.

Still, its not great when a dog influencer on Instagram has a bigger designer wardrobe than you do... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Lmkrnr wrote: »
    I Just hate the word influencer. They a promoters of product's that used to be on shop Windows and adds. Now they are on social media which is the way its gonna be.

Cheaper than hiring a well known name to promote your product. Instead paying a kings ransom to Beyonce, its cheaper to use these influencers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

growleaves wrote:
    Well make-up has to abide by very strict EU regulation to make it onto the market at all, so I wouldn't be too worried about what make-up these influencers are recommending.

Oh I agree the make up side of things I just find a bit irritating like why have a filter on showing cosmetics it's pointless, the customer has no idea what it would look like.
    My issue with that particular Dublin instagrammer that I spoke about is her wildly stupid and sometimes downright dangerous notions for example she was saying how she wanted to lose 28 pounds in 28 days which whilst as an adult I can see she's just an absolute fool a younger or just more vulnerable person may think that's a perfectly healthy goal which I think is where regulations are needed and consequences for these stupid notions are warranted.
    Same one also said they 'adopted' their new pup which would lead one to believe they adopted from a reputable shelter but no this one just 'got' the dog from people they knew but was happy to let people think they had rescued. That as well as the chocolate increasing your heart by 30% just makes me annoyed and also angry that people would believe what these people say and take it as facts instead of the complete nonsense it is. I think the one I'm on about would do any business more harm than good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I don't follow any of them but I do dip in and out from time to time, out of nosiness.

It's all grand, saying you're not interested or you'd never follow them but the thing is, they're sadly here to stay. There's a reason why your average Joe / Josie neighbour can become an influencer and sure it's helped if they have the whole package (beauty, fabulous house, kids, tragic story etc...) to shill. They operate just like MLMs or those mad conspiracy stories on social media - by being "real" and being your friend. They start off as a person, just like you, with the same worries and stresses - so you can relate to them and maybe pick up tips / life hacks. Then they start to grow and you get to see that transition and you get to cheer them on as they become recognised. You're so happy that someone like you, a friend, can be recognised. Then they peak at aspirational level. The gold standard of what ever their (so called) USP is (MUA, interior design, cleaning, mammy, illness warrior etc...). Very few manage to rise above this to platinum level.

These influencers then become untouchable. They can sprout any old ****e without repercussions unless it's super serious and then there's the apology video. If you have any criticism at all, you're a hater, jealous, tearing women down and you're met with a weaponised #BeKind, think about what happened to poor Caroline Flack - the insinuation that you're genuine criticism could lead to a suicide or self harm.

The thing is, these influencers work for themselves and think of their brand as their business. But they don't think of the HR side of things at all. They think us stupid for not copping that their #AF bags them €€€

Unfortunately they are here to stay. Brands are pumping more and more investment into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

wyrn wrote:
    Unfortunately they are here to stay. Brands are pumping more and more investment into them.

I agree I think influencers are here to stay but thankfully I do think there will be a higher standard that they will be held to as people are sick of the false and dangerous crap the more lazy of them are coming out with.
    There are good Irish influencers I think who do a decent job of marketing whilst you know its advertising and not them spouting crap they've just made up and show you a product. I think regulations would only be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Can someone please explain to my they are all so cringy and annoying.

the wife follows some of them on Insta and that Kieran Corrigan lad is the absolute pits.

Every day hes on the beg, forever looking for free stuff. and his voice like nails on chalkboard.

anyone else fed up with the influencer types at this point?

Ireland just doesn't have the climate for influencers. It's a sheep mentality here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,218 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You had to look it up? Obviously someone with a few hundred thousand followers has some "influence". The cost of giving them some free merchandise for.a mention is a pretty trivial cost in the long run of things.

Actually one of the celebs I follow on Twitter, a TV actress, occasionally promotes stuff. She says when it is paid though.

Not my demographic at all! I would not follow 'celebs' who are promoting stuff.
    I can see why people do though monkey see monkey do etc. Some people like the glamour and want to imitate them.
    I had no idea that it was such handy money for them them just mentioning a few products.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Motivator

Can someone please explain to my they are all so cringy and annoying.

the wife follows some of them on Insta and that Kieran Corrigan lad is the absolute pits.

Every day hes on the beg, forever looking for free stuff. and his voice like nails on chalkboard.

anyone else fed up with the influencer types at this point?

I never heard of Kieran Corrigan but just looked him up. The sooner someone takes a baseball bat to that cûnts face the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭BeginnerRunner

The REAL insidious part is the illusion that anyone with a phone and internet access could be an influencer, but 99.9% of them won't.

I've seen so many reports that most kids aspire to being a vlogger now as a preferred career option. It's scary how naive / mislead they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

"Influencers" = Glorified sales assistants on commission from the brands they promote.

Influencers Instagram accounts = Continous infomercial loops.

To thine own self be true

Advertisement