Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

008 or 009 or whoever being a female secret agent though - I don't see an issue with that idea, but I can only imagine the cringey way it'd be handled.

Aren't the almost always killed.

EddieN75 wrote: »
    Maybe it will be as successful as female Ghostbusters. I think about 27 people went to see that movie. 9 of which left after 39 mins

Male ghostbusters was **** .... there I said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

But it would be agent 007 not James Bond

Janes Bond

• Registered Users Posts: 33,016 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Want there already a Jane Bond?

Anyway, as far as I know, it's meant to be a pseudonym - different people taking the identity of the 'James Bond' name as well as the 007 license.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Its a female 007 not a female Bond in the new film.
    Bond will never be a woman.

I wouldn't have a problem with a female 007 if the character was in some way realistic but most of these female heroines are Mary Sue's.
    120lb women wearing high heels beating the daylights out of 220lb men without barely a scratch, I'm not buying that.

Ive seen the names Emma Thompson and Gillian Anderson touted - neither of whom are young.

Watched Rosamund Pike in I Care A Lot - she could do a job. She's already been in a Bind movie, too.

Now, who to play Mr. Moneypenny...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqoZbey8CHg

Jeopardy contestant is now a white supremacist because he used the number three.

Rather strangely my dad had a handbag in the eighties. A little leather one. He would use it during the summer when he didn't have enough pockets.

This is a rather large rugby player type from the country. So not very effeminate.

Sorry not relevant but a strange memory now I think about it. You often see French men with them as well.

Maybe men should have handbags. They have backpacks, why not.
    Sorry this is off topic, but you've just reminded me of being in America several years ago, and trying to rent a car. I was with a friend, sitting across the table from this middle-aged American, big lump of a man – this was in the state of Wisconsin, they eat a lot of cheese, so you can imagine. Anyway, I think his name was Nick, took our drivers' licences and payment, stroked his beard for just a moment, and agreed that everything seemed to be in order. He said "Follow me, I'll show your your car"
    Then he got up, picked up something, I can only describe it as a clutch purse with a short strap, which he unceremoniously tried to squeeze over one of his enormous shoulders. I got an awful fit of giggles.

It wasnt the handbag itself, it was just so unexpected.i think he used the handbag to carry all the keys. They probably are quite useful!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

550x390.jpg

I remember these things being rather popular some decades ago.
    Handy enough for family dads on holidays to keep all the passports and other crap in before everything went digital and you were somewhere where it was shorts and t-shirt weather.
    But a full size handbag... get out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

tigger123 wrote: »
    Roger Moore was 51 years of age when he was wheezing his way around Moonraker. I find that pretty hard to buy tbh.

Not sure what weight Katie Taylor is, but I'd wager she'd beat the sh*te out of a lot blokes I know.

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/77818

Here's her stats. A massive 5 foot 5 inches tall.

https://superstarsbio.com/bios/roger-moore/

Rodger Moore was 6 foot 2 inches.

I'm sure she cudda given him a black eye providing she had a ladder handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqoZbey8CHg

Jeopardy contestant is now a white supremacist because he used the number three.

Christ that's a tough watch. I think I made it to 40 seconds.

Who is making this tripe, honestly?

• Advertisement

I asked a colleague why in Promising Young Woman she went after random men (I've not seen the film).

I suggested that had she found out who assaulted her friend and did for him, no one would disagree he deserved a kicking if the escaped legal punishment. But why anyone ?

It's a horror movie! I haven't seen it either but I assume it is a horror.

Having not seeing it looks like a exploitation film of the 1970s... Woman gets raped and seeks revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I asked a colleague why in Promising Young Woman she went after random men (I've not seen the film).

I suggested that had she found out who assaulted her friend and did for him, no one would disagree he deserved a kicking if the escaped legal punishment. But why anyone ?

I got the "no uterus, no opinion!" and a finger click. From a white girl from Donnabate!

Yeah, this definitely happened.

Yeah... agreed....

I got the "no uterus, no opinion!" and a finger click. From a white girl from Donnabate!

Why start a conversation about a film you've never seen with a minor detail and then go on to discuss the main character's motives as if you had...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gw80

I actually can't watch anything that Netflix has produced, it is all completely woke ****e,
    The bad guys are nearly always white and the cops and good guys are nearly always black or a complete United colours of beniton mix of minorities, it's just the same thing over and over.

Ahh, rant over

gw80 wrote: »
    I actually can't watch anything that Netflix has produced, it is all completely woke ****e,
    The bad guys are nearly always white and the cops and good guys are nearly always black or a complete United colours of beniton mix of minorities, it's just the same thing over and over.

Ahh, rant over

That's exactly the opposite of "woke ****e"...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Amazing the way people pretend not to see this, surely the likes of Megan Rapinoe when she says "I earn way less than Messi, JUST BECAUSE I AM A WOMAN" - realise it's a crock of shyte ?

She must understand basic economics ?

This line is constantly trotted out and it's not true. She never said she wanted to the same as messi. It was the the same as the US mens soccer team.

However I don't know the income of the US mens soccer team and womens, but if she wants the same percentage of income that the men get, that could be considered fair enough. Although, from the little bit I know they signed a contract so they have to honour it, it happens in every business in the world. Guys doing the same job on different wages. But she never mentioned earning messi wages

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ahh, rant over
    I don't have an issue with that, as long as they can do the job it can seem realistic.

I recently watched a show (can't remember the name), and a swat team were breaking in somewhere stopping a terrorist. The 2 main people kicking in doors and heading up the swat team were women. Hard to take serious tbh. Same with shows where a 5 foot 2 woman can do karate so she batters a group of massive lads. It's always kicks. Come the fúck on! It's grand if it's sci-fi, like yer one in Guardians of the Galaxy who's supposed to be a super weapon. But a normal girl battering a group of hefty lads who's job is to beat people up, come on.

Cienciano wrote: »
    However I don't know the income of the US mens soccer team and womens, but if she wants the same percentage of income that the men get, that could be considered fair enough. Although, from the little bit I know they signed a contract so they have to honour it, it happens in every business in the world. Guys doing the same job on different wages. But she never mentioned earning messi wages

Yeah I always felt she was aiming low. :D

Are we supposed to believe everything everyone says?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

This line is constantly trotted out and it's not true. She never said she wanted to the same as messi. It was the the same as the US mens soccer team.

Maybe this is specific to Soccer though probably covers many sports.

Wages are connected directly to the amount the club/group/org paying the wages earns from having these players on the pitch.

So if men garner more attention for a sport and their employers make more then their wages should (and are) be higher.

If womens teams in a sport are less popular thats just reality - they can be paid accordingly - its not unfair, it's actually very fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,985 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If womens teams in a sport are less popular thats just reality - they can be paid accordingly - its not unfair, it's actually very fair.

100% it is, but the stupid ones calling for equal pay can't understand simple economics.

Messi helps Adidas, Pepsi, Sony etc sell millions upon millions of pounds of products every single week/month/year.

Thats why he gets what he gets. Thats why not every single footballer in the world earns the same money. Because some are more lucrative to companies than others.

And unfortunately for certain women sports stars at present, the same applies. Its nothing to do with their gender. Its to do with how much stuff they can help sell.

The Williams sisters were never short of advertising deals. They earned more than many male tennis stars. But they were marketable.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    The Williams sisters were never short of advertising deals. They earned more than many male tennis stars. But they were marketable.

Ladies tennis I think has out performed men's since the 1970s. And possibly before but were paid less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Elmo wrote: »
    Ladies tennis I think has out performed men's since the 1970s. And possibly before but were paid less.

Then that is a justifiable grievance that is being drowned out by all the gibberish from sports where women's teams have no following at all.

Where a sport is anywhere near equal in viewership I believe every efforst should be made - or alternatively where a womens sport is more popular the ladies should get higher pay than the men.

But that means acceptance of the facts highlighted by the poster you quoted.

You make less for the sport - you get less money. That really is fair and should be end of discussion no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Complete and utter nonsense.

Complete and utter nonsense.

TBH I have no Idea, but I agree if the sport is equally popular then both should be paid the same. (I just saw that movie with Holly Hunter)

If your sport can bring in money from sporting rights and ticket sales etc.

How is the US ladies soccer team doing in terms of revenue and their league?

I recently watched a show (can't remember the name), and a swat team were breaking in somewhere stopping a terrorist. The 2 main people kicking in doors and heading up the swat team were women. Hard to take serious tbh. Same with shows where a 5 foot 2 woman can do karate so she batters a group of massive lads. It's always kicks. Come the fúck on! It's grand if it's sci-fi, like yer one in Guardians of the Galaxy who's supposed to be a super weapon. But a normal girl battering a group of hefty lads who's job is to beat people up, come on.

Good explanation of why this is happening here, from 10:16

TBH I have no Idea, but I agree if the sport is equally popular then both should be paid the same. (I just saw that movie with Holly Hunter)

If your sport can bring in money from sporting rights and ticket sales etc.

How is the US ladies soccer team doing in terms of revenue and their league?

Pat-cash-img29318_668uteyurtyurty.JPG

Seriously though mens tennis is the bigger draw and always has been.
    You have 3 of the greatest players dominating the game over the last 15 years, Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.
    These guys are legends.

Men play best of 5 sets, their matches make up the bulk of the Grand Slams tv schedule, and they sell more tickets for their tournaments.
    Women get equal prize money which is commendable, and the standard of womens tennis is good, I enjoy watching it but thats not to say mens tennis isnt better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I don't have an issue with that, as long as they can do the job it can seem realistic.

Was the first film The Heat, with melissa mccarthy and sandra bullock?
    I think the second film might have been Police Academy....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gw80

That's exactly the opposite of "woke ****e"...

Whatever it is, its ****e,
    It's in the whole woke area,

Whatever it is, its ****e,
    It's in the whole woke area,

Exactly what do you think woke is...?

What you complained about was racial stereotyping (white means cop, black means criminal) the very thing woke peope over-react to.... or am I picking you up wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Not sure what your problem is but yes it did - anyone who watches Sky will have seen it trailed over and over again; there's been endless interview about it - Emerald Fennell who I knew from Call The Midwife talked about the plot.

When did we become so cynical ?

The conversation sounds faker than a three euro note.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement