Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Exactly if consumption goes up increase MUP it's not working

If consumption goes down increase MUP it's working

Either way MUP will increase particularly if the North eventually brings it in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Exactly if consumption goes up increase MUP it's not working

If consumption goes down increase MUP it's working

Either way MUP will increase particularly if the North eventually brings it in

Did the change from 11.30pm to 10.00pm finish ever have an actual impact?

I do not think i have ever seen a study reviewing its impact - positive or negative.

This will be much the same - brought in - new norm - then the anti drink fruits can start inventing the next scheme.

If only they would relax with a drink or 2 they might find some pleasure in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

tjhook wrote: »
    I think at this stage MUP is a done deal. The next question is how is its effectiveness going to be measured?

If alcohol consumption goes down in the coming year, does it prove MUP works?

If alcohol consumption goes up does it mean MUP works but more is needed?

A kind of "heads I win, tails you lose"?

Its being going down steadily since the start of the new millenium. We're mid table in Europe for alcohol consumption, and falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

^^^ the findings, statistics call them what you will, will be twisted and bent to fit whatever agenda suits, the average Joe and Mary will be ones who foot the bill in the end

I do not think i have ever seen a study reviewing its impact - positive or negative.

This will be much the same - brought in - new norm - then the anti drink fruits can start inventing the next scheme.

If only they would relax with a drink or 2 they might find some pleasure in life.

The only change it made was that people had to buy alcohol earlier in the day

I still think it's mad that you can't get a bottle of wine etc before lunch on a Sunday

Contrast that to Krakow, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris where you can go on a night out and get a few beers on the way home as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

tjhook wrote: »
    I think at this stage MUP is a done deal. The next question is how is its effectiveness going to be measured?

If alcohol consumption goes down in the coming year, does it prove MUP works?

If alcohol consumption goes up does it mean MUP works but more is needed?

A kind of "heads I win, tails you lose"?

The thing those for MUP will never admit to is alcohol consumption has dropped to 2/3 of what it was in 2005 in a year over year decline so if that trend simply continues they will just falsely claim MUP was responsible.

Also the Irony is that alcohol consumption has decreased for the entire time they have claimed alcohol was getting cheaper.... try to get them to square that circle

• Registered Users Posts: 37,713 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

It's all a load of bollocks. Basically making targets of Alcoholics and students 'lads because ye can't behave yourselves on cheap drink were putting the price up, that will show you'

Government will make a killing with the tax from this

PTH2009 wrote: »

How is this misinformation still going around? There will be a neglible increase in taxes from this as its a minimum price cap not a tax hike, the vast vast majority of the new hiked prices will go to the shops and the alcohol producers.

VinLieger wrote: »
    How is this misinformation still going around? There will be a neglible increase in taxes from this as its a minimum price cap not a tax hike, the vast vast majority of the new hiked prices will go to the shops and therefore the alcohol producers.

I'd say its more assumption than misinformation - assumed that any increase will mean monies generated are used to fight the issues.

But unlike sugar and carbon taxes this one doesn't equate as you rightly point out.

Personally that makes less sense to me - all we are doing is damaging market competition and impacting the everyday person who is not an alco.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

PTH2009 wrote: »
    It's all a load of bollocks. Basically making targets of Alcoholics and students 'lads because ye can't behave yourselves on cheap drink were putting the price up, that will show you'

The only Government that'll be making a killing from it will be Her Majesty's Government, unless Stormont enacts the same folly.

And they came for the alcoholics and the students first... my concern is that eventually they will ratchet up MUP so the prices are the same as pubs across the board.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yes, they could at least argue justification if it was going to help those with issues.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Yes, they could at least argue justification if it was going to help those with issues.

If the entirety of the new price increase was a ring fenced tax hike going towards treatment etc I literally wouldn't have a problem and tbh would welcome it.

If the entirety of the new price increase was a ring fenced tax hike going towards treatment etc I literally wouldn't have a problem and tbh would welcome it.

Ditto to that - Never love tax increases but when they are put aside to get a job done i can get behind them.

This is pure nonsense though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭buried

This is exactly it. A easy cash grab from some of the most vulnerable in society. All in order to keep the greasy gold plated pensions for another section of our society, a section who if they had to survive in a actual functional and productive real economy, would be dead in a ditch long ago.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I got a nagin for the train instead of after, only real change...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Rte.ie said there was “only” a 6.6% in consumption in their article this morning.

Since when is it their job to decide what’s a good or bad rate of consumption?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Sunday Independent had an opinion piece challenging the assumptions behind MUP (paywalled alas!)

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/minimum-unit-pricing-of-alcohol-may-well-prove-acostly-solution-40378369.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Who is really driving all this - I mean there must be a group of lunatics somewhere behind the scenes, those sad sorry types that have few to no friends and hate anything anyone does that may constitute having fun.
    Alcohol Action Ireland

The "Independent" (almost entirely government funded) charity

I don't believe that it's that simple.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't believe that it's that simple.

So what is it?

there's a definite cultural problem in Ireland with alcohol that could definitely do with changing.

an over-reliance culturally on it due to a general lack of imagination and pure laziness in my opinion and cultural acceptance of excessive drinking and indeed encouragement of it.

this is even evident in the cultural norms present where being excessively drunk is "great craic" and hangovers are even celebrated.

the Irish vintners association would have you believe that the only fun to be had in Ireland was in a pub when in fact most of them are very uncomfortable and crappy places which you could only put up with if you're at least half-pissed.

one of the few good things to come out of the pandemic might be an adjustment of the Irish relationship with the pub

but going at the problem by increasing the off-trade price when it's already only behind Finland in the EU is not a good solution

it's a classic Irish type of solution though.

p.s. the two poll options are complete cack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Mecrab

Will I still be able to get 4 cans of pratsky for a 5er?

1st January 2022 apparently for MUP

Mecrab wrote: »
    Will I still be able to get 4 cans of pratsky for a 5er?

No you won't

€1.66 a can so €6.63 for a 4 pack

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Garibaldi?

1st January 2022 apparently for MUP
    Time to start brewing your own folks! Should be nicely matured by then!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Of all the problems we have in this country ...

Gambling ads rammed down our throats on RTE, now I can’t even pre drink thinking I got a bit of value on my slab once a year.

No you won't

€1.66 a can so €6.63 for a 4 pack

And that will be round up to a clean 7.00 just for good measure. So a 40% increase in your cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So what is it?

I don't know.

But I certainly don't think it's down to a relatively tiny special interest group pulling the strings of all the major parties.

This was put forth by FG as a measure to appease publican pressure to get people to stop drinking at home and into pubs more. Over the years it then became a "health" issue, but we all know that's baloney and just a smoke screen. And I also think that there will be an increase in duty on alcohol in the near future too, as part of the MUP scam. Maybe not in the next budget, but in one soon after.

But like everything else that happens in Ireland, I suspect that this measure will probably come down to a desired financial outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    It's common sense. If Joe Soap has access to alcohol and drugs, and suddenly the price of one of those products increases, the alternative looks a lot more appealing.

Personally, I don't really drink (about a can a month if you averaged it out across a year) and I've never touched drugs in any form. However, I can still see the obvious transition from one to the other that many people will make. Especially those in their teens who can now get off their tits for a fraction of the price than alcohol.

Drug use is widely accepted in Irish society, despite the damage it does. People will turn to it fairly fast, in my opinion.

That's not what the research into the post-Scottish introduction I linked says. so it isn't common sense. The vast majority of people who drink have no interest in drugs. People who do use drugs as a substitute are already using anyway - they might do some more but that's not the same as suggesting widespread replacement.

Someone who drinks a bottle of wine every night won't suddenly turn to drugs as an alternative.

I don't know.

But I certainly don't think it's down to a relatively tiny special interest group pulling the strings of all the major parties.

This was put forth by FG as a measure to appease publican pressure to get people to stop drinking at home and into pubs more. Over the years it then became a "health" issue, but we all know that's baloney and just a smoke screen. And I also think that there will be an increase in duty on alcohol in the near future too, as part of the MUP scam. Maybe not in the next budget, but in one soon after.

But like everything else that happens in Ireland, I suspect that this measure will probably come down to a desired financial outcome.

That is very true, though they do have an influence.

Can see Feank Feighnan has come out very on the side of this on Twitter. It won't go well for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Economics101

This was put forth by FG as a measure to appease publican pressure to get people to stop drinking at home and into pubs more. /QUOTE]

'Twas ever thus, the power of the publicans over politicians in Ireland

Advertisement