Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ruining a wedding

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Ah sure my sister forgot to bring her bouquet to her wedding. The venue owner picked out a few blooms from her garden and made a pretty little posy at the last minute, because it was too late to go back & get the bouquet.

That's not even the worst bit. Sister also forgot to book the priest for a blessing, because she thought Mam was doing it. She was working in Dublin at the time, but getting married down home, hence the misunderstanding. This only came to light just before the wedding. We rang our parish priest to see if there was any remote chance he could do the honours, but he was engaged elsewhere.

That wan spent more time worrying about getting her tan and nails perfect than checking the more important stuff. This is par for the course, my sister is disorganised AF. Like, how can you forget to call the priest.

Now, she was marrying a Scottish Protestant in a small country house, so it isn't as disastrous as some of your stories. The Scots didn't notice, but you can be sure the Irish side did! :D No holy bits! *vapours*
    We made up some ****e about 'Oh there'll be a private blessing' later, but it never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Years ago I was at a wedding and after dinner we were heading down town for a few drinks while the floor was being cleared and the band were setting up.
    Anyway, I was sitting in the foyer waiting on the people I was with when this man much worse for wear comes staggering along holding the wall for support.
    He pops off towards the toilet.
    About 2 mins after another man comes down the same way.
    The second fella comes straight back out of the toilet and shouts down the hall at 2 friends
    "He's sh1t himself again".
    The "again" part made me wonder;
    Had he done it earlier in the day?
    Or
    Was this a regular occurrence at weddings/when he'd had a skin full?

Whichever it was, none of them seemed particularly shocked.
    The 3 lads went in after your man and arm in arm walked him back out through the foyer with his legs at 10 and 4 and a strong odour blowing through the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭screamer

Turfcutter wrote: »
    The speeches get tiresome when 6 or 7 people get up and repeat the same stuff.
    When each of them thanks the hotel (for doing what they're paid to do), the priest, the singer in the church.
    Like ffs, think on your feet and cut all that stuff out once it has been said 5 times already.

It always sounds wooden when someone is reading verbatim from a script. The worst one I heard was a person reading a speech written for them and they couldn't make out the hand writing.

Yeah thanking the hotel, or the wedding co ordinator just makes me laugh. You’re paying heftily for having your wedding at their hotel, you’d think it was all given for free. A waste of time in a speech and a nonsensical thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

screamer wrote: »
    Yeah thanking the hotel, or the wedding co ordinator just makes me laugh. You’re paying heftily for having your wedding at their hotel, you’d think it was all given for free. A waste of time in a speech and a nonsensical thing to do

I think that harkens back to a time when all receptions would have been held locally and the people serving at the reception would be well known and possibly even friends of the attendees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Was at a wedding where the groom mistakenly said the name of an ex instead of his new wife. The ex was also at the wedding so it got a bit awkward. Hilarious!

• Advertisement

I think it’s polite to thank them if the whole thing went well. The whole crew at the hotel for ours were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭appledrop

Was at a wedding where the groom mistakenly said the name of an ex instead of his new wife. The ex was also at the wedding so it got a bit awkward. Hilarious!

Jaysus, are they still together!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I think it’s polite to thank them if the whole thing went well. The whole crew at the hotel for ours were brilliant.

Hardly a waste of time either..it takes 10 seconds to say and thank you to the hotel for all their hard work. It's a lovely thing to do.

Not a ruined wedding as such as it didn't go ahead but my friend was supposed to be getting married last September but postponed it due to Covid.
    Himself and the wife to be hadn't lived together before but were going out for years. Circumstances changed during lockdown and they moved in together. He called off the wedding and apparently they can't stand each other now!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

An aunt of mine was attending the wedding of an old school friend. The father of the bride was a prominent citizen and the reception took place in the best hotel in the region. Before the ceremony the priest had to rush to administer the last rights to an aged parishioner on his deathbed and was delayed half an hour. Anyway the rest of the festivities passed of well apart from some long winded speeches by local dignitaries. It seemed like nothing could spoil the day until the cutting of the cake...didnt a ghost materialise beside the happy couple! No one said anything because the bride had a particular fear of ghosts. The phantom lingered until after the first dance then flew out a nearby window.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Was her name Rachel and was it in London?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

An aunt of mine was attending the wedding of an old school friend. The father of the bride was a prominent citizen and the reception took place in the best hotel in the region. Before the ceremony the priest had to rush to administer the last rights to an aged parishioner on his deathbed and was delayed half an hour. Anyway the rest of the festivities passed of well apart from some long winded speeches by local dignitaries. It seemed like nothing could spoil the day until the cutting of the cake...didnt a ghost materialise beside the happy couple! No one said anything because the bride had a particular fear of ghosts. The phantom lingered until after the first dance then flew out a nearby window.
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Years ago I was at a wedding and after dinner we were heading down town for a few drinks while the floor was being cleared and the band were setting up.
    Anyway, I was sitting in the foyer waiting on the people I was with when this man much worse for wear comes staggering along holding the wall for support.
    He pops off towards the toilet.
    About 2 mins after another man comes down the same way.
    The second fella comes straight back out of the toilet and shouts down the hall at 2 friends
    "He's sh1t himself again".
    The "again" part made me wonder;
    Had he done it earlier in the day?
    Or
    Was this a regular occurrence at weddings/when he'd had a skin full?

Whichever it was, none of them seemed particularly shocked.
    The 3 lads went in after your man and arm in arm walked him back out through the foyer with his legs at 10 and 4 and a strong odour blowing through the air.
    There's a saying that goes 'Never trust a fart after mile 20 of a marathon'.

It can also be read 'never trust a 7pm fart after a day on the Guinness'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah I dunno I often found it mad that the hotel manager and hotel staff would be thanked profusely

The hotel is charging top dollar for the whole thing. It’s not like they are doing it for the good of their health

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭chosen1

Yeah I dunno I often found it mad that the hotel manager and hotel staff would be thanked profusely

The hotel is charging top dollar for the whole thing. It’s not like they are doing it for the good of their health

As another poster said, it's just polite to thank someone for their service and takes 5 seconds.

I bet you don't thank the bus driver either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭spakman

Do you not thank restaurant staff when you're out for a meal?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

spakman wrote: »
    Do you not thank restaurant staff when you're out for a meal?

Don’t mind a quick thanks at the end but I’ve been at weddings where they are gushing praise and eternal thanks to the hotel. That’s ott in my view.

Quick thanks at end no problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Don’t mind a quick thanks at the end but I’ve been at weddings where they are gushing praise and eternal thanks to the hotel. That’s ott in my view.

Quick thanks at end no problem

I’ve been to lots of weddings and I’ve never heard anything other than a polite thank you of the staff at the venue followed by a quick round of applause.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Back in the day there was a great hotel in our town for weddings. It was within walking distance of the church and right across the street from one of the best pubs in the county

It was customary for the drinkers in attendance at the wedding to decamp to the pub after the church while the photographs were been taken and then again after the meal and while the band was setting up.

I was at one wedding and the head bridesmaid ended up coming over to the pub and read everyone the riot act (including her own husband) because the band had started and the place was half empty. I think it was a very common occurrence.

These were the days before taxis were readily available and people would also meet at the pub for a few quick ones before the church. I knew one guy who didn’t make it to the church for his own sisters wedding because a monsoon opened up right when then we’re getting ready to leave.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There were 182 people at our wedding.

We didn’t do ‘Afters’ ‘cause we think that’s a joke.

We paid for our own wedding and it cost more than the €100 a head our social circle would typically give. Hence no concerns about “making money” from the exercise.

We have no wedding list and never had a discussion with anyone about presents.

From memory, we got around 8 presents. The rest of the guests gave cash. I think we got about €25,000 in cash plus a few nice gifts.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you friends with Richard Branson and Sir Alan Sugar?

Really surprised at all the stories here about couples trying to work out how much money they stand to gain from getting married. As if it's about the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

spacetweek wrote: »
    Really surprised at all the stories here about couples trying to work out how much money they stand to gain from getting married. As if it's about the money.

I find it in poor taste to be honest. Our wedding has been pushed from last month to next year so we can hopefully have close family and friends at it. Some of our guests wouldn’t have much moneywise. We aren’t inviting them for gifts we are inviting them because they are great people who are there for us in the good times and more importantly in the bad times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Speeches are the best way to ruin a wedding. I was at one where the father of the groom gave a one hour eulogy to Fianna Fáil to an audience that went from bemused to irritated to outraged and finally bored off their tits when the clown couldn’t take the hint that half of us went to the jacks and got lost in the bar on the way back.

That was probably upstaged by another father of the groom who was a trainee accountant who was less than diligent in applying himself to his exams. His loving father expressed the hope that now that “X” was married, he would settle down, do some work and pass his exams. Everyone went from looking earnestly at the top table to squirming and staring at the floor. It’s not the time for a father son reality check really.

One you couldn’t foresee was a wedding that was brought to a premature halt by one of the guests collapsing and dying. That was awkward. For a while, then the residents bar got swarmed. Nothing like a wedding and a wake on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Didn't ruin the wedding but was memorable- best man stood up for the speech and said "I'm not one for speeches/good at speeches so thank you all for coming. Enjoy the evening" and sat down.

We thought it was a joke at first but that was the speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

This one comes under the "Almost ruining a wedding" category.

I was at a wedding about 16 or 17 years ago of 2 close friends. One of the happy couple was related to Bishop Edward Daly, who was the main celebrant at the wedding mass. At the meal, I was sitting at a table just in front of the top table.

Bishop Daly (RIP) for those who might not know, was the priest who bravely risked his life during Bloody Sunday in Derry in 1972. He was famously filmed waving a blood-soaked handkerchief as a white flag while leading a wounded 17 year old boy away from the gunfire while the British Paratroopers were firing on anyone who moved.

The wedding was lovely, and the groom's father stood up to make his speech. He rightly wanted to acknowledge how special and proud it was to have someone of Bishop Daly's calibre present, and wanted to acknowledge in particular, the bravery of the bishop during Bloody Sunday.

When he started this part of the speech, he first spoke about how everyone remembers where they were when they heard JFK got shot. He then spoke about how everyone remembered where they were when they heard that the Pope got shot, followed by the September 11 attacks.

Just as he was about to talk about Bloody Sunday, I jokingly said to my friend sitting next to me

"Here we go - the 4 Funerals & a Wedding Speech".

Unfortunately, it came out a lot louder than intended. 2 people at my table kicked me hard in the shins, and when I looked around, the groom was glaring at me and his new wife was staring down at her dessert.

Realising my stupidity, and wanting the ground to swallow me, I looked over to see if the Bishop had heard me along with everyone else.

He was smiliing at me and winked.

The grooms father continued, and got a great applause. It was genuinely a lovely speech and I was relieved that my idiotic badly-timed pun didn't ruin it.

Afterwards, I apologised profusely to the couple who saw the funny side of it, and I brough the grooms father to the bar for an apologetic pint. He told me he was concentrating so much on his written speech that he hadn't heard anything.

Bishop Daly came over and kindly said that he found it funny even if others hadn't, and as ther was no harm intended or done, I should forget about it and enjoy the day.

I feel very lucky to have friends like this couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Porklife wrote: »
    Hardly a waste of time either..it takes 10 seconds to say and thank you to the hotel for all their hard work. It's a lovely thing to do.

Not a ruined wedding as such as it didn't go ahead but my friend was supposed to be getting married last September but postponed it due to Covid.
    Himself and the wife to be hadn't lived together before but were going out for years. Circumstances changed during lockdown and they moved in together. He called off the wedding and apparently they can't stand each other now!
    Better a cancelled wedding than a difficult divorce. I can't understand how anyone would get married without living together for at least 5 years first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

Better a cancelled wedding than a difficult divorce. I can't understand how anyone would get married without living together for at least 5 years first.

I wouldn't necessarily think 5 years but totally agree about living together for some time first.
    They were high school sweethearts and had travelled extensively together and seemed like such a happy couple but after just a few months living together, it's all over.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Friend of my wife's had her eyeball scratched by her 3 year old daughter on the morning of her wedding. She had to go to the doctor and got an eye patch, so covered it with sunglasses.

For the wedding photos, which were taken outdoors on a very sunny day, all the bridesmaids put sunglasses on too so it would look like a theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

L1011 wrote: »
    I've seen one bouquet toss at the ~10 weddings I've been at. Its not that common at all.

I've never been to a wedding where it wasn't done!

I've only seen the garter removal done once. Jaysus it is fair cringy stuff

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

dinneenp wrote: »
    Didn't ruin the wedding but was memorable- best man stood up for the speech and said "I'm not one for speeches/good at speeches so thank you all for coming. Enjoy the evening" and sat down.

We thought it was a joke at first but that was the speech.

I think we might have been the same wedding...

The one I was at, the best man was known for being a talker and centre of attention. Apparently even before the wedding, people were placing bets on how long his speech would be. As a kind of "I'll show them" move, he decided to give the shortest speech ever. I'm glad we weren't subjected to an hour long speech, but it did seem kind of disrespectful to the couple getting married.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I was at a wedding where the PRIEST (uncle of the groom) called the bride by the ex's name several times during the ceremony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

spacetweek wrote: »

I get the distinct impresison that is very much to the fore for a lot of couples.

I have seen couples wholly expecting to pay for the hotel, meal etc etc the morning after in cash from the envelopes. In fact they expect it. The more left over the better.

If the whole night works out at €50.00 per head and you are pulling in €100 to €200.00 per head then happy days plus whatever the parents may have paid for.

Advertisement