Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things dat Trivyully Annoy You (part whatever) *MOD WARNING IN OP* NEW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

At the moment I am a part time cleaner for two primary schools. I cycle 20 mins to one, work there for 2 hours, then cycle 15 mins to the next one, work there for 3 hours, then cycle 5 mins home.

Yesterday my boss gave me a new schedule, to do the latter school for the full 5 hours as the coworker I worked with in there was being relocated, leaving the extra two hours open, and it would be handy for me as it's only a 5 minute cycle to and from.

I was delighted, knowing I wouldn't be half dead by the time I arrived and could actually pick up more pace much quicker (I'm not very fit), I had an extra 20 minutes of free time before I'd leave, and I could start doing the new times that same day.

Wellll sh*t. TA incoming. No more than an hour into my new shift, my boss dropped by to tell me the plan has been cancelled and I'm back on the two schools. She was very apologetic so I can't fault her as it was out of her control, but man, I got a taste of it last night and I loved it. I hope it gets sorted out sooner than later.

TA that I had a better work schedule for one day before getting switched back to my original schedule.

Sinusitis. It's such a pain in the nostrich. Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Celebs on social media junping aboard the George Floyd bandwagon again after the guilty verdict last night.

Oh please. Most of them couldn't care less, and if they were there at the scene on the day in question (they wouldn't have because it was in a predominatedly black neighbourhood), they wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

Although I think Irish people celebrating the verdict may actually be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

People who don't see the issue with a police officer kneeling on the neck of a man already restrained are part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

People who don't see the issue with a police officer kneeling on the neck of a man already restrained are part of the problem.

I'd prefer ignorance over jumping on a bandwagon and showing faux empathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Why is the empathy fake?

maybe some of us are capable of actual empathy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Trying to connect a mouse over Bluetooth. Its not going too well:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

cj maxx wrote: »
    Trying to connect a mouse over Bluetooth. Its not going too well:(

Don't forget, the poor mouse has feelings.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Bredabe

In an effort to see if the suicide awareness training we all did had stuck, we all got a communication from a challenged colleague who used the phrases which we were told to look out for in communications with at-risk or stressed clients.

Not a single response to the messages.

So much for help is out there and just talk to someone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

People who ring into radio stations raging over something. What do they expect to achieve only high blood pressure?

Antares35 wrote: »
    Why is the empathy fake?
    maybe some of us are capable of actual empathy?

I don't believe people when they say they have empathy for someone who they don't know, usually in a different country, and have nothing to do with them. Sympathy, yeah, I can see how people would have that, but empathy is thrown around willy nilly these days and not a hope everyone who says it can genuinely feel empathy for people they don't know.

"The ability to understand and share the feelings of others". I don't think anyone here has been held on the ground, arrested, with a cops knee on their neck for 9 minutes, so I find it hard to believe people can really understand and share that feeling.

It's another thing that TA's me, people believing they feel empathy when it's in fact sympathy and they completely forget about it as soon as they scroll past the article or find something better to be doing. Just an opinion!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't believe people when they say they have empathy for someone who they don't know, usually in a different country, and have nothing to do with them. Sympathy, yeah, I can see how people would have that, but empathy is thrown around willy nilly these days and not a hope everyone who says it can genuinely feel empathy for people they don't know.

Of course you can feel empathy for someone you don't know. Why wouldn't you be able to??

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Of course you can feel empathy for someone you don't know. Why wouldn't you be able to??

It's more the definition. I can't genuinely feel empathy for a lot of people because I can't understand how they feel due to not experiencing the same event. I could possibly feel empathy for people who say they suffer from anxiety (because I have anxiety myself), but I usually don't because I have a very low view of humanity in general and I don't expect anyone else to understand or care about my personal issues. And I've even less chance of feeling empathy if I don't know them, because I don't know them so how can I feel empathy for them?

Similarly, I feel very little to no empathy for anyone who is rich. They have the best opportunity to get genuine help for their problems, something a lot of us don't/can't afford.

Edited to add: I've no doubt people believe they feel empathy, but I don't believe it's genuine.

I'm like a f*cking briar today and can't get rid of it. I'm worn out from my own crankiness and rage.

It's more the definition. I can't genuinely feel empathy for a lot of people because I can't understand how they feel due to not experiencing the same event. I could possibly feel empathy for people who say they suffer from anxiety (because I have anxiety myself), but I usually don't because I have a very low view of humanity in general and I don't expect anyone else to understand or care about my personal issues. And I've even less chance of feeling empathy if I don't know them, because I don't know them so how can I feel empathy for them?

Similarly, I feel very little to no empathy for anyone who is rich. They have the best opportunity to get genuine help for their problems, something a lot of us don't/can't afford.

Edited to add: I've no doubt people believe they feel empathy, but I don't believe it's genuine.

A somewhat related TA I have is when voyeurism is masqueraded as sympathy. You see it when people discuss horrible tragedies. All this "tut, terrible for the family" etc. But secretly they are probably lapping up the salacious or sordid details.

The length of time an mandm direct return is taking. I mean jaysus.

Exactly. It all ties back to the same for me, faux empathy, bandwagonning and complete nosiness. The vast majority of these people, especially those on social media, actually don't care, but want to be seen to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I'm not sure if there's a word for this but it drives me crrrRAZY!!

I'll say something arbitrary or mudane in passing to my sister and she will then take 10 minutes explaining to me why it's not a good idea or why it wouldn't work which is exactly my point to begin with.

I was saying this morning how much I miss travelling and how I'd love to go to Bali or Fiji for a holiday soon but being pregnant, that obviously can't happen but it's nice to daydream.
    She then left me a 9 minute voicemail on whatsapp saying how everybody hates babies on airplanes and how I'd need to breastfeed and change nappies and how much of a logistical nightmare it would be. She went on to regale me with stories of friends bringing babies on holidays and how it ruins it for the entire group and that I should just forget about it for the next few years.
    🀬😡🀬
    I know all of that, hence why i wont be doing it. The clue was in the word daydreaming.

She does it about food too or movies or anything. I'll say I'm not a fan of Tarantino these days but he made some crackers back in the day and she'll list all the reasons how nowadays he's lost his touch and i should really appreciate his earlier work more yada yada yada.

God give me strenght, it makes me wanna rip my ear off and post it to her in Germany with a note saying listen to yourself woman!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No offence, but your sister sounds like a neckbeard geek.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

No offence, but your sister sounds like a neckbeard geek.

Well she's a teacher and you'd guess that within minutes of meeting her, put it that way.
    Only 2 years older than me but she acts like my grandmother who's so much wiser. Very annoying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

I wanted to have a shower, husband wanted dinner. So guess who's making dinner? We're both ratty cos the vaccine is kicking our arses today but **** me. You're a grown man. How about YOU make ME dinner for a ****ing change?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

We had a "town hall" for our local office with our American CEO today on Teams.

In telling us about the difficulties of the pandemic, he explained that he recently bought a new mansion in Maryland, and you wouldn't believe the difficulties he faced in buying a hot tub for it. They're just not to be had anywhere. He then wasn't sure if we knew what a hot tub was, so he tried to use every other word he could think of for it (jacuzzi, bath, garden tub, etc). He then explained that he wasn't on the list for the vaccine in Maryland, so he had to go to his other house in North Carolina, where it seems they're giving the vaccine out to anyone who wants it.Tough life.

Then the local resident office nut-job then chimed in to say that he read on the internet that you can build your own DIY hot tub. He then proceeded to explain that he's thinking of opening a glamping business in his (rural) garden, and he's planning to build his own hot tub as an attraction. He then started asking the American CEO if he was keeping up with the Irish economy "in the news", but then fell victim to what I can only assume is a terminal case of word association, and started ranting about ergonomics instead of economics, finally demanding that we all have an ergonomic assessment of our home offices since we're working from home.

My TA is that I can't figure out who the hero is in this story.

We had a "town hall" for our local office with our American CEO today on Teams.

In telling us about the difficulties of the pandemic, he explained that he recently bought a new mansion in Maryland, and you wouldn't believe the difficulties he faced in buying a hot tub for it. They're just not to be had anywhere. He then wasn't sure if we knew what a hot tub was, so he tried to use every other word he could think of for it (jacuzzi, bath, garden tub, etc). He then explained that he wasn't on the list for the vaccine in Maryland, so he had to go to his other house in North Carolina, where it seems they're giving the vaccine out to anyone who wants it.Tough life.

Resident office nut-job then chimed in to say that he read on the internet that you can build your own DIY hot tub. He then proceeded to explain that he's thinking of opening a glamping business in his (rural) garden, and he's planning to build his own hot tub as an attraction. He then started asking the American CEO if he was keeping up with the Irish economy "in the news", but then fell victim to what I can only assume is a terminal case of word association, and started ranting about ergonomics instead of economics, finally demanding that we all have an ergonomic assessment of our home offices since we're working from home.

My TA is that I can't figure out who the hero is in this story.

i don't understand. an ergonomic assessment of a home office makes much more sense than an economic assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

i don't understand. an ergonomic assessment of a home office makes much more sense than an economic assessment.

He started off just randomly talking about the "economic situation in Ireland" and then suddenly, out of nowhere, started talking about ergonomics. Just a total stream of consciousness. There was absolutely no logical connection between the two thoughts. I guess it makes no sense because it made no sense.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Gregor, I think you were the hero for listening to that drivel without exploding or laughing. Seriously, some people don't know they're born.

My particularly trivial annoyance for today is that I went to pick up the hairspray bottle and instead I used the dry shampoo one. And I was in a hurry, too. Great. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

People who ring into radio stations raging over something. What do they expect to achieve only high blood pressure?

This reminded me of something I meant to post here a few months ago.

I was in a taxi and Joe Duffy was on the radio. Some woman was ringing in complaining that her daughter's leap card ran out of money but she boarded the Dart anyway and ended up being fined by an inspector. Nothing wrong with that but the woman was trying to argue that the inspector should have been more lenient because the daughter was a school girl.

So then Joe Duffy asked what Irish Rail said when she contacted them, and she said she didn't contact them yet and ringing him was the first thing she did!

Seriously, FFS. What kind of person rings Joe Duffy first rather then the actual company they have a grievance with! I don't understand that mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

He started off just randomly talking about the "economic situation in Ireland" and then suddenly, out of nowhere, started talking about ergonomics. Just a total stream of consciousness. There was absolutely no logical connection between the two thoughts. I guess it makes no sense because it made no sense.

Has this guy picked up some tips on presentation from DJT ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Archeron

Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice cream. Now there are even more ways to enjoy your favorite cookie dough...
    It might have rainbow colored diabetes pieces and be coated in eco friendly fair-trade chocolate and be called a peace pop, but it's still gack. Americanized gack.

Whats the collective term for bandwagons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Archeron wrote: »
    Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice cream. Now there are even more ways to enjoy your favorite cookie dough...
    It might have rainbow colored diabetes pieces and be coated in eco friendly fair-trade chocolate and be called a peace pop, but it's still gack. Americanized gack.

Whats the collective term for bandwagons?

I picked up that peace pop last week at the petrol station and I realised at the counter it was three bloody euro.

Advertisement