Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Problem drinkers will still drink just as much but they will be experimenting with home brewed shoite and there will be many mass poisonings from home-brew spirits like there is on other third world dictatorships.
    "Listen, rummy, I'm gonna say it plain and simple. Where'd you pinch the hooch? Is some blind tiger jerking suds on the side?"

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

All the more reason to home brew

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

The poitin stills be back out in force. Smuggling of alcohol will start up once again big time.

Ps couldn't vote in poll as did not like the choices, so I abstained. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Zaph wrote: »
    The poll is flawed as it doesn't cover enough options. As a nation we clearly do have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol and how we consume it. Not all of us obviously, but there is a significant portion of the population who do.

I don't know about all this. I used to drink like a viking when I was a young lad, all my friends used to drink as much as possible. But as we got older the desire to drink just went. Now I go to the pub and have 3 or 4 pints and I'm done. Not even drunk as such, I'm just done, I don't want any more.

Young people will probably always be binge drinkers. They have literally nothing better to be doing. They live comfortable lives and are suckling at the teet of civilized western democracy.

I also find it sort of hard to believe that we're currently the worst for drink. My father went to the pub on a very regular basis, they could drink without thinking of consequences and get rightly hammered, my mother can now drink me under the table, she can knock back brandy like a boss. All her friends can too.

Young people will always binge drink (bar the onset of a war or some sort of political travesty), we may be particularly good at it, that could simply be down to genes, but the rest of Europe tries its damndest to keep up at a party.

I don't see how anything they do is going to convince young people to not enjoy their youth. In the vast majority of cases, the majority of those people will just lose that ability to drink like a fish and grow up, get responsibilities, have to deal with babies.

That just leaves alcoholics. I think these kind for laws are more likely to push those people onto something harder and drive drinking underground with the rest of the frowned upon drugs.

It's a typical half arsed waste of time move from our government. It's like they just enjoy coming up with ways of avoiding doing anything productive thinking if they look busy enough we'll get off their backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

What the feck is it with FG. Would they ever leave us the fck alone with all this crap.

Hope the EU tell them to shove their plan where the water charges dont shine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Gonna buy van loads of cans every week in the northern territory and sell them at €1 a pop down here, see.

You'll not catch me copper, see.

That was supposed to be a prohibition joke. Not sure if I pulled it off too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Gonna buy van loads of cans every week in the northern territory and sell them at €1 a pop down here, see.

That was supposed to be a prohibition joke. Not sure if I pulled it off too well.

Looks like the Beer Barron will be making a reappearance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

So... If I am reading this right. It's now going to be cheaper to get drunk or pissed drinking spirits rather than beer. If this is about alcoholism, my word, that is throwing petrol on the fire. What utter plonkers. Anyone who has witnessed proper alcoholism knows spirits are quite literally the most addictive and devistating ones out of the alcohol range.

I really wish this government would just keep out of this area, they haven't got a ****ing breeze about any of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

ScumLord wrote: »
    I my mother can now drink me under the table, she can knock back brandy like a boss. All her friends can too.

It's a mammy thing - mine passed away almost a quarter of a century ago but I'm yet to see anyone knock back as much vodka and orange as her and remain standing and speaking coherently!

No hangovers neither - and she didn't drink all the time, maybe once a month.

Wasn't genetic - few pints and am a gonna these days!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Can you box us off with some Stella lad ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Just thinking about it there also. Would it not have made more sense to restrict the alcohol content of products? IE, bring cans down to 2/3% max and spirits down to 21% max. I really fail to see how price is going to stop an alcoholic from buying the same amount of drink. You don't see people addicted to heroin saying '**** lads, too expensive for me today, I will have to take a break'. Oh wait. Forgot they problem doesn't exist according to this government cause heroin is illegal.

Class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Alcohol is far too cheap in this country, particularly in the off-trade.
    Compared to 20 years ago prices have fallen dramatically in real terms.

It's time something was done to address this considering the cost that cheap alcohol causes our society.

I'm all n favor of minimum pricing and I applaud its imminent introduction.

Personally, I can't really see it affecting me as I don't drink the type of cheap alcohol this will most likely target.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »

Personally, I can't really see it affecting me as I don't drink the type of cheap alcohol this will most likely target.

It's rather naive of you to think this won't push up the price of all other drink

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 16,514 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Am i the only one that doesn't see where it says minimum pricing is 'nigh'?

I see some detail on the bill itself, and health professionals calling on politicians to support it, but no real evidence that the government are 'set to bring in minimum pricing'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

GLaDOS wrote: »
    It's rather naive of you to think this won't push up the price of all other drink

I don't really mind if it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

ScumLord wrote: »
    Young people will probably always be binge drinkers. They have literally nothing better to be doing. They live comfortable lives and are suckling at the teet of civilized western democracy.

The government wants to curb binge drinking but it doesn't have a plan to divert young people into other activities.

No talk about investing in sport or anything like that.

So basically, the plan is to stop students drinking cheap booze at home and to drink more expensive booze at home instead.

Foolproof.

Why cant we just put up them curtains to stop us/you seen the alcohol, sure work .

Well it certainly wont effect me as I of it nearly 8 years :-) Wonder will the price of green tea go up ??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

TallGlass wrote: »
    Just thinking about it there also. Would it not have made more sense to restrict the alcohol content of products? IE, bring cans down to 2/3% max and spirits down to 21% max.
    That could maybe kill the craft beer market. I'd rather see them reduce tax on locally made craft beers so that they're competitive with mainstream beers.

I just don't see that price is a problem. Other countries have cheaper drink and they're not drinking as much as us. So it's not the price, it's something else that makes us the biggest binge drinkers.

I do think that Pubs should go back to the original concept of a public house. It's not about drinking, it's about having a meeting place, the trouble for anything these days is if you can't find a way to monetise it, it will fail.
    So basically, the plan is to stop students drinking cheap booze at home and to drink more expensive booze at home instead.

Foolproof.
    It only encourages a black market. How can they not see that every time this has been done in the pat, anywhere in the world it's always lead to more dangerous behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It will just push teenagers towards drugs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Alcohol is far too cheap in this country, particularly in the off-trade.
    Compared to 20 years ago prices have fallen dramatically in real terms.

It's time something was done to address this considering the cost that cheap alcohol causes our society.

I'm all n favor of minimum pricing and I applaud its imminent introduction.

Bollocks
    Edit
    I live in Germany and can buy a six pack of beer and a bottle of booze for less than €15.
    So the "chape booze" argument is just bollocks.
    Its a handy instant argument for people who want to push a lazy agenda and haven't really thought this through, just to get exposure and votes. Same sh*te as "speed kills"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bottle of wine in France €1 Germany is dirt cheap also.

This is just another stealth tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I spent €25 on 3 beers and two of them were 330ml. This won't affect me so I hope it's brought in and pushes more people towards nicer plonk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

With motorways Northern Ireland is only a few hours away. A day trip to Wales is also nice. Stupid government. Anyone that believes this is a health initiative is in dreamland. Pure tax raising exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

It's just legislation designed to stifle competition that hurts vested interest industries with political influence.

If it was genuinely about addressing binge drinking, it would be addressing the places where alcohol wreaks the most havoc: pubs and the surrounds.

It doesn't even raise extra revenue that could go towards health or education.

I myself drink mostly (for want of a better word) craft stuff so it won't hit my pocket that much.

That said, it will be interesting to see if Irish retailers, grubbers that they are, won't be tempted to raise the price of 'premium' stuff if 'cheap' starts nudging it in price. If this thread is a yardstick, it would appear many consumers are moronic enough to see paying extortionate prices as a merit badge of taste to distinguish themselves from The Plebs so would probably swallow concurrent price hikes at that product level too.

I can definitely see a monthly shopping trip to Belfast on the cards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

This is a funny one. I completely disagree with it however. I have a decent salary and plenty of expendable income, thank God, but I actually like cheap beer like Tennents and Prazsky and the Lidl and Aldi 79c cans for some reason. Just flavourless cold lager, yummy.
    Even if craft beer (which I am not too keen on) was the same price, I'd probably still buy the pissy stuff.

Anyway, why do we even bother discussing these things? We will feign outrage on threads and in the workplace and (ironically) down the boozer drinking overpriced pints, but we'll just let the Government go ahead and charge feckin' 4 euros a can if they want.

If they brought this in, I would be up for not purchasing one drop of alcohol in this country until they reversed the laws. I'd say if even 25% of us stopped buying booze in any form for a while, those shower of c*nts on Kildare St would soon reverse their law to satisfy their various lobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

RasTa wrote: »
    I spent €25 on 3 beers and two of them were 330ml. This won't affect me so I hope it's brought in and pushes more people towards nicer plonk.

I assume you're joking. I love crafts and spend a lot of money on same, but you sound like a satirical archetype.

It's a poor law and shouldn't be thought of as not being so because of a snobbish attitude towards people's drinks of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I remember when this was discussed before people were saying that the Government might have a problem getting this passed because the EU Commission wasn't in favour of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

minimum pricing doesn't work. where it has been introduced they're has been no effect on consumption. waste of time, failure, pointless.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

Advertisement