Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A guide to make sliding sash windows

Options
  • 27-06-2015 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I've 3 windows to fit into an old cottage and I was thinking the possibility of making the windows myself from wood rather than put in upvc

I tried googling a guide for it and I came across a blog of a guy in england doing just that but there wasn't a guide with it. He was going to make a book but no sign of it yet.

6GSNXSB.jpg

I should have any equipment but just need direction. Any recommendations for reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I would recommend 'The House restorers Guide' by Hugh Lander. It talks about restoring sashes rather than a complete new build but has some great detail.
    As long as you have the gear including a router table it shouldn't be too difficult. I think the cast iron weights have been replaced by a friction system ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

http://www.doorandwindowseals.com/ this is a dublin company that sells all the bits and bobs that you will need nice guys to talk to. and if you are not using pulleys and weights then it "spiral balances" that you need to take the weight of the sash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Could you get a complete window that has been removed, it's the easiest way to get correct dimensions, and you would see first hand how they are made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Could you get a complete window that has been removed, it's the easiest way to get correct dimensions, and you would see first hand how they are made

I updated my original post. The existing window isn't great for restoring or getting dimensions from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

It's really easy to make sliding sashes. Take out the old window and take it apart piece by piece. You can copy all identically if it's a restoration for single glazing or you can bulk up the sashes to take double glazing.seals and slips and parting beads and everything can be bought in England at a fraction of the price than here and that's including postage. Make sure you use a good hardwood for the cill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Miname wrote: »
    It's really easy to make sliding sashes. Take out the old window and take it apart piece by piece. You can copy all identically if it's a restoration for single glazing or you can bulk up the sashes to take double glazing.seals and slips and parting beads and everything can be bought in England at a fraction of the price than here and that's including postage. Make sure you use a good hardwood for the cill.

Can you share some of the links? I fancy trying to restore a window.

Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Vexorg wrote: »
    Can you share some of the links? I fancy trying to restore a window.

Thx

Il see if I can find some of the catelogues in the workshop. But definately the best way is to split an old sash and look at the make up of them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If you are considering making an exact copy of the existing window, then taking out and disassembling the window is the way to go.

But, if you intend to make a window with either spiral balances, friction systems, bonavara sliding profiles, then you are only using the ope sizes of the existing window , and little else. As any of the newer system materials will not match your old window details.

You really have to decide which way to go on this first off, either repair existing window and replace with new pulleys ect, or replace with a modern equivalent in wood.

I probably would have section detail specs of modern sash window types, and definitely have books and details on traditional methods of sash window making, that I could get specs from.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

An excellent book on sash window making in the traditional manner is by J.W.Riley called
    A Manual Of Carpentry And Joinery. May be tricky enough to get though.

Newnes 6 Volume set of Carpentry and Joinery is also another excellent reference work.

The Illustrated Carpenter and Builder is also another periodical that was widely sold dating back to the late 1800,s.
    It often turns up in auctions, boot sales ect. It is one of the most comprehensive works on the craft, and should be
    snapped up if it ever becomes available to you.

Advertisement