Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Winter 2020/Spring 2021

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Good ongoing live stream here that is keeping a watch on those big storms breaking out across the southern US states at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9gE73dwnJk

I saw that there was a "rare" warning issued. Could be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Drone footage of tornado in Alabama from that current storm system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8g-Q1Uzbyc

New Moon

Drone footage of tornado in Alabama from that current storm system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8g-Q1Uzbyc

Stunning.

It's almost as if all the energy in the cloud is just feeling its way of how to touch the ground.
    Beautiful, but terrifying.

I know I am being very OT, but I love this compilation of tornado sightings.

It doesn't focus on the destruction that these things can bring, but the sheer beauty of the tornado is undeniable.
    Such variety in its shape and structure.
    Beautiful.

thank you to all those storm chasers who risk their lives just to capture the beauty and power of nature.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I know I am being very OT, but I love this compilation of tornado sightings.

It doesn't focus on the destruction that these things can bring, but the sheer beauty of the tornado is undeniable.
    Such variety in its shape and structure.
    Beautiful.

Beautiful but deadly. This footage, captured in April 2015 in Illinois, is the most frightening yet awe inspiring I have ever seen of a tornado. Sadly, the wife of man who took this video died due to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk5Y2biSpog

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Interested in seeing how much thunderstorm activity might happen tomorrow. Plenty of convection with a few hundred J/kg available at times and good lapse rates especially from the early afternoon to the late afternoon. Low level shear available, peak DLS early and later so missing out a bit in the afternoon during peak diurnal heating but still some available. Hard to pinpoint activity ,anywhere could see a few sparks but the afternoon looks the best chance moving from W to E across the country. Convection could produce big squally showers of rain and hail giving locally strong gusts of wind. Might see a few reports of large hail tomorrow. Showers wintry in nature especially higher ground and some interest in snow accumulations in the W, NW especially towards evening.

sD80l9Y.png

hCi55zn.png

eNuHXtS.gif

ov0CO77.gif

8ggWSve.png

Uh8Hbq5.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cold air advecting out of Greenland / Canada behind the cold fronts that are making their way over the country now. Might see a few sferics show up along the Atlantic coastal counties by early morning.

VQecxZD.gif

nsbhawn.gif

4RXEbv5.gif

dPxEnpu.gif

Nice NASA EOSDIS sat pic of the cold airmass from earlier today.

XvrvWXS.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Nice NASA EOSDIS sat pic of the cold airmass from earlier today.

XvrvWXS.png

Look at the frigid eastern Canadian landmass less than 1900 miles away. Such a contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Looks like some activity around Carna (Galway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavy hail in Galway city, good coating on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Snow just now, followed by persistent sleet, after a morning of nice sun now very dark.

600FT ASL - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Heavy snow shower this morning at 6.30. Tipp, limerick Clare border. Snow on tops of near mountain at 600m asl

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/

NtTRjMl.png

Day 1 Convective Outlook
    VALID 06:00 UTC Fri 26 Mar 2021 - 05:59 UTC Sat 27 Mar 2021

ISSUED 07:32 UTC Fri 26 Mar 2021

ISSUED BY: Dan

An upper trough will migrate eastwards across the British Isles during Friday and Friday night, the associated cold pool creating an environment with steep mid-level lapse rates and yielding 300-500 J/kg CAPE in response to SSTs and diurnal heating inland. A cold front and associated band of rain will track eastwards across Britain during daylight hours, clearing to the North Sea around 16z. Forcing and the strongly-sheared environment will allow embedded line convection to occur capable of producing hail and squally winds in portions of the front, and this may intensify somewhat as the front approaches the E Midlands / E Anglia / SE England during the afternoon hours given some modest surface heating prior to its arrival. An isolated tornado cannot be ruled out where breaks develop in any bowing segments.

Scattered showers will follow the cold front, especially numerous across Ireland during Friday afternoon as an occlusion swings through, this then tracking eastwards into western Britain during the evening hours. Showers will tend to become more isolated with time during the early hours of Saturday as ridging builds from the west, mainly confined to NW England and SW / W / NW Scotland by the end of the night. Some sporadic lightning could occur from any shower, hence the broad LOW threat level issued, with gusty winds and hail likely in many of the showers (and snow even on modest hills).

Shear weakens within the trough axis, but some notable backing of low-level winds is expected from Munster, N Leinster to Ulster during Friday daytime, and this could be the focus for some better organisation of cells with perhaps some slightly larger hail and an isolated tornado. Shear will increase across SW Ireland later in the afternoon as the trough axis shifts eastwards, although by this stage the depth of convection may be slightly shallower. A low-end SLGT has been introduced for some sporadic lightning, but confidence is rather low in this aspect due to a messy mixture of dynamic and convective modes. The focus for some sporadic lightning may shift to the Bristol Channel and adjacent parts of S Wales / SW England for a few hours during the evening period, along with W Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Kicking off now drumshambo/ballymore

Meteorite can you do me a favor check out that strike about an hour ago, you know my location. It did not hit the house but was not far off, in the garden I think I have lost most of the electrical items in the house again. Only have my phone (which works in the village). I will check the cctv when I get the pc back up i might have a good clise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

checked lightening maps and theres nothing

skinny90 wrote: »
    checked lightening maps and theres nothing

It hit at 14:17 took out power in the Sneem area and most stuff in the house. Must have registered somewhere it as big.... My place is NE of sneem must have been very close to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭dmc17

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    It hit at 14:17 took out power in the Sneem area and most stuff in the house. Must have registered somewhere it as big.... My place is NE of sneem must have been very close to the house.

This it?

Met-eireann.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

not doubting ya just wondering why it didnt register.

see this link

https://www.blitzortung.org/en/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

• Advertisement

dmc17 wrote: »
    This it?

Met-eireann.jpg

No , I am in that yellow blob to the north on the other side. That is the squall that produced it about at about 14:17.

skinny90 wrote: »
    not doubting ya just wondering why it didnt register.

see this link

https://www.blitzortung.org/en/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

Hopefully one of the sites recorded it, I am just going back home now (just ordered a new router) and will see if I can find where it hit My boy was in the garden at the time, says he felt it in his chest and now believes in God! I checked the cctv and although the pc was OK all the cameras blew at the same time, instantiously, the only footage I have is of large hail just before the strike.

Meteorite can you do me a favor check out that strike about an hour ago, you know my location. It did not hit the house but was not far off, in the garden I think I have lost most of the electrical items in the house again. Only have my phone (which works in the village). I will check the cctv when I get the pc back up i might have a good clise up.

Turned up on Meteologix site.

Some magnet for strikes down there, the lift off the mountains must play it's part. Hope not too much damage and glad nobody got hurt.

https://meteologix.com/ie/lightning

Bq2mS5C.png

4hnLlpg.png

Turned up on Meteologix site.

Some magnet for strikes down there, the lift off the mountains must play it's part. Hope not too much damage and glad nobody got hurt.

https://meteologix.com/ie/lightning

Bq2mS5C.png

4hnLlpg.png

Thanks a lot for looking that up. I have my mobile phone taped to a stick stuck out of the window and I am connecting to it from a tablet so I dont have much of a connection. The loss adjuster who came out after the previous strike said that my area has the most strikes in Ireland, not sure how true that is. Another theory from the wireless company is that there is a big copper deposit in the mountain. The strike last week was close, but this one was really close, even the new Samsung washing machine blew up, all the led lights in the house are gone as are all the CCTV cameras. When I get the CCTV back up I am going to install an all sky camera and put it on a separate battery system to try and capture the next strike on camera. The hail before hand was intense, that's all the cameras captured...

That's interesting SlowBlowin. I use to sail quite a bit and going around Brandon pt the compass would often swing about and was told of a known anomaly in that area. I often heard there was a theory why so many planes crashed on and near Mt Brandon during WW2 was because of possible deposits of metal ore that affected the compasses on the planes ? Don't know how true it is or if any research was ever done to look into it ,no doubt the cloudy conditions and being so far out in the peninsula had effect also in the days of fairly primitive instrumentation. OT but for anybody interested a link below of Wartime Aircraft Crashes in Ireland and page open is of Kerry.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~wrgi/tableker.html

For the record the rainfall radar for the time of the strike.

Netweather

PR3mMhv.png

khVgTPf.gif

Interesting article on the BBC about cloud top temperatures.

Super-cold thunderstorm sets temperature record.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56542408

Saturday still showing potential for Convective weather under the passage of an upper trough and associated cold pool. Lapse rates should be half decent and with good sunny spells expected diurnal heating should aid convection. Models showing outbreak of heavy wintry showers with hail as the day progresses, peaking in the afternoon. Not a lot of shear available so if thunderstorms do break out will probably be pulse like and short lived. Will see.

9uTbw11.png

RwEISWN.png

MhbXi5f.png

FW2IpVj.gif

Might be worth keeping an eye on this rail cam in NE Missouri over the next few hours. Some big storms just to its south that may move into this area later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAQUGsUzWbE

Lightning radar for region:

https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;ts=0;y=38.1562;x=-90.6537;z=7;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

New Moon

Might be worth keeping an eye on this rail cam in NE Missouri over the next few hours. Some big storms just to its south that may move into this area later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAQUGsUzWbE

Lightning radar for region:

https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;ts=0;y=38.1562;x=-90.6537;z=7;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

I just thought you might like to know ,a car crossed that level crossing a few minutes ago
    Looks like bits of sleet falling

• Advertisement

Saturday still showing potential for Convective weather

I will be wearing my new wetsuit, rubber gloves and wellies !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement