Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIM/Cad viewer?

• 28-01-2021 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

Are there any free BIM viewers and DWG viewers out there?

In terms of BIM has anyone used Dalux? I am not trying to manipulate drawings, I am only trying to observe the details on the structure makeup.

In relation to DWG drawings I wish to calculate areas/lengths/etc.

I have thought about using Bluebeam Revu, it does more than I need so I am just wondering about the viewers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ManÓg84

Are there any free BIM viewers and DWG viewers out there?

In terms of BIM has anyone used Dalux? I am not trying to manipulate drawings, I am only trying to observe the details on the structure makeup.

In relation to DWG drawings I wish to calculate areas/lengths/etc.

I have thought about using Bluebeam Revu, it does more than I need so I am just wondering about the viewers.

Autodesk free viewer for Cad https://viewer.autodesk.com/

Navis works freedom viewer for BIM 3D models
    https://www.autodesk.eu/products/navisworks/3d-viewers?plc=NAVSIM&term=1-YEAR&support=ADVANCED&quantity=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

ManÓg84 wrote: »

Yeah, I found Autodesk Navisworks Freedom over the weekend for rvt files.
    Also found Autodesk Design Review and Autodesk TrueView downloads, for dwg drawings, on the Autodesk website. Haven't had a chance to text yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

TrueView is very handy really, you can open and take measurements from autocad files.
    If you're looking for a viewer for structural models, Navisworks Freedom is always good, but would also recommend BIM Vision. I'd use that a lot to look at IFC file types from steel fabricators for building frames.

Now another question.

Most house drawings come to use in pdf format. We need to obtain measurements. Bluebeam would allow use to do that but it does a lot more than we would need. I found this on Adobe today, has anyone use it?

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/acrobat/using/grids-guides-measurements-pdfs.html

I know it is not compatible with BIM drawings like .rvt, but I need to measure plans sent in .dwg and pdf as well

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ManÓg84

I use pdf xchange editor or the pro edition for this.
    Now another question.

Most house drawings come to use in pdf format. We need to obtain measurements. Bluebeam would allow use to do that but it does a lot more than we would need. I found this on Adobe today, has anyone use it?

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/acrobat/using/grids-guides-measurements-pdfs.html

I know it is not compatible with BIM drawings like .rvt, but I need to measure plans sent in .dwg and pdf as well

• Advertisement

ManÓg84 wrote: »
    I use pdf xchange editor or the pro edition for this.

I have been trying this out this morning but having a great deal of difficulty. Program keeps freezing on me making it very difficult to use. The more measurements that I take the more it freezes.

I am looking to use Navisworks to obtain element buildups and building measurements for BIM projects as well. A revit package is far to expensive for what I need it for. Even Revit Lite is too expensive. I am looking to read the info that is already there, the Properties and dims, etc. I am trying to get this from Navisworks but all these file types are driving me crazy.

I exported an rvt file from Revit. I added Navisworks to Revit in External Tools and exported an .rvt file in 3d wireframe mode into .nwc file but Navisworks is looking for an .ncd file.

Where am I going wrong and how do I solve this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I am looking to use Navisworks to obtain element buildups and building measurements for BIM projects as well. A revit package is far to expensive for what I need it for. Even Revit Lite is too expensive. I am looking to read the info that is already there, the Properties and dims, etc. I am trying to get this from Navisworks but all these file types are driving me crazy.

I exported an rvt file from Revit. I added Navisworks to Revit in External Tools and exported an .rvt file in 3d wireframe mode into .nwc file but Navisworks is looking for an .ncd file.

Where am I going wrong and how do I solve this?

I use Revit and Navisworks daily for work.
    I think I can see what you're describing...

Revit exports NWC files, which are a Navisworks cache file. This can only be opened by Navisworks Simulate or Navisworks Manage (I use Manage). They can then be saved from here as an NWD file.

You haven't stipulated but I'm guessing you're using the free viewer, Navisworks Freedom, with which you can only open NWD files, not NWF or NWC unfortunately.

I use Revit and Navisworks daily for work.
    I think I can see what you're describing...

Revit exports NWC files, which are a Navisworks cache file. This can only be opened by Navisworks Simulate or Navisworks Manage (I use Manage). They can then be saved from here as an NWD file.

You haven't stipulated but I'm guessing you're using the free viewer, Navisworks Freedom, with which you can only open NWD files, not NWF or NWC unfortunately.

Yes Navisworks Freedom. I am looking for a program that I can assess domestic bim project information for creating a Part L Compliance reports.

Advertisement