Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open water newbie

• 16-10-2020 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    First post in this forum so kinda feel like an impostor.

While most people at this time of the year are looking at transitioning from open water to the pool I am interested in doing the opposite. I started pool swimming regularly for the Swim For A Mile challenge a few months ago and now that it looks like that is never going to happen I am looking for a new challenge and thinking about doing some open water swims/competitions next year (or whenever things like that are allowed again), maybe even an aquabike.

So my question:
    If I am going to be swimming in open water (probably Loughrea lake as it is the closest open water to me) and possibly the sea, what thickness of wet suit should I be looking at?

Many thanks,
    RN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Lakes this time of year will be colder than sea. I’m not up on my wetsuits but I’d say you wouldn’t want to be restricting your arms with thick neoprene. Are you ordering online?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

a standard swimming wetsuit should be fine - 3mm legs and 1/2mm on core.

I wore mine for the first time (this year) today and was quiet warm in it.

Suggest you get fitted in a shop rather than buy online because if it dosent fit right it wont feel comfortable. I made this mistake twice!

A tow float/swim buoy is also a good idea for safety

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭randomname2005

mad m wrote: »
    Lakes this time of year will be colder than sea. I’m not up on my wetsuits but I’d say you wouldn’t want to be restricting your arms with thick neoprene. Are you ordering online?

Honestly I don't know. I would like to have some ideas before going to a shop and with covid not even sure if I could try on anything

Thanks for the help

Ryder wrote: »
    a standard swimming wetsuit should be fine - 3mm legs and 1/2mm on core.

I wore mine for the first time (this year) today and was quiet warm in it.

Suggest you get fitted in a shop rather than buy online because if it dosent fit right it wont feel comfortable. I made this mistake twice!

A tow float/swim buoy is also a good idea for safety

Was planning on getting a float.

I was thinking I would need 5mm, just as well I asked! Will see if there are any shops that will allow me to get measured or try on.
    Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

Some advice that will hopefully help you....

Get a wetsuit specially for swimming. All brands fit different so study the size guides carefully. You will find the right size by going online but it might take a few returns etc.

Go with a social group or club. Experience is crucial so listen to what more experienced swimmers tell you. This time of year it's a cold thing. I just recently got my own wetsuit and love it.

Also consider a neoprene hat. Tow float is a must. Get a whistle to attach to it.

Once you get into it, enjoy as it's addictive

• Advertisement

batman1 wrote: »
    Some advice that will hopefully help you....

Get a wetsuit specially for swimming. All brands fit different so study the size guides carefully. You will find the right size by going online but it might take a few returns etc.

Go with a social group or club. Experience is crucial so listen to what more experienced swimmers tell you. This time of year it's a cold thing. I just recently got my own wetsuit and love it.

Also consider a neoprene hat. Tow float is a must. Get a whistle to attach to it.

Once you get into it, enjoy as it's addictive

Thanks. All off now until the next reduction in lock down level at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

As well as the above when with a group only stay in as long as you are comfortable, don’t stay just because others are in. They’ll have more experience at dealing with the cold, as soon as you spot any signs of you getting too cold get out and wrap up as even when you’re out your core will keep dropping for a bit.

Great vid from one of the outdoors swimming groups detailing some of the things to watch out for, one I remember if fumbles, if you start to lose dexterity in your fingers (think drink driving exercises) its time to exit.

Taltos wrote: »
    As well as the above when with a group only stay in as long as you are comfortable, don’t stay just because others are in. They’ll have more experience at dealing with the cold, as soon as you spot any signs of you getting too cold get out and wrap up as even when you’re out your core will keep dropping for a bit.

Great vid from one of the outdoors swimming groups detailing some of the things to watch out for, one I remember if fumbles, if you start to lose dexterity in your fingers (think drink driving exercises) its time to exit.

Thanks for the pointers, good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jrby

Hi,

My wife has started swimming again and I was looking to get her a wetsuit for Christmas.

Any suggestions as to where. Ideally would want to get her to be able to bring it back in the likely event it won't fit so she can get a different one.

Thanks

jrby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

jrby wrote: »
    Hi,

My wife has started swimming again and I was looking to get her a wetsuit for Christmas.

Any suggestions as to where. Ideally would want to get her to be able to bring it back in the likely event it won't fit so she can get a different one.

Thanks

jrby

A few people I swim with have recently got some from Wiggle. The Wiggle own brand DHB. They seem good quality and the sizing seems easy enough to figure out. The Aeron model was the one most of them went for.. about 160 euro. Ideally it would be nice to buy one locally and support our own economy but not sure if that is possible..

• Advertisement

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    A few people I swim with have recently got some from Wiggle. The Wiggle own brand DHB. They seem good quality and the sizing seems easy enough to figure out. The Aeron model was the one most of them went for.. about 160 euro. Ideally it would be nice to buy one locally and support our own economy but not sure if that is possible..

Just had a look and seem to be low on large mens sizes :(.
    Thanks for the guidance

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Zone3 have a sale on too. Haven’t used them myself just spotted the sale.

Advertisement