Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rugby League's Off-Topic thread.

• 03-09-2015 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

So, I was thinking where to post my eight thousandth bit of uninteresting bullplop, and decided upon my own little forum, of peace and solitude, where the quiet is only occasionally broken by the odd welcome visitor.

So here it is, number 8000.

Off to print a screen grab of this now and stick it on my wall, next to my 15 metre swimming certificate (which I cheated to get).

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That's not even 3 a day - you are supposed to have more fruit and veg portions than that.....

• Site Banned Posts: 175 ✭✭jimjimjimmy

Clearly a case of a moderator abusing their power with a meaningless thread ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Clearly a case of a moderator abusing their power with a meaningless thread ;)

BANNED*

*Not really, rely on you and couple of others to keep me from talking to myself ALL the time!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

*Not really, rely on you and couple of others to keep me from talking to myself ALL the time!
    You've the Soccer forum if you want to interact with others. Cricket gives you a chance for more intellectual discussion. Here you have peace and tranquility - what more can you ask for?

BTW is there a hint of a Yorkshire accent in some of your posts DWW?

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    BTW is there a hint of a Yorkshire accent in some of your posts DWW?

Nope, a year living in the wilds of North Yorkshire is about all Beasty.

Whereabouts in North Yorkshire?

(I was born in the North Riding, 10 miles south of Middlesbrough, and lived in North Yorkshire until heading off to Uni)

North Yorkshire has little in the way of a RL tradition though (equally until Scarborough were elevated to the old Football League they didn't have a football team, other than York City who in the very old days was shared with the East and West Ridings - Middlesbrough was though in the North Riding until it became transformed into North Yorkshire back in the 60s)

Whereabouts in North Yorkshire?

(I was born in the North Riding, 10 miles south of Middlesbrough, and lived in North Yorkshire until heading off to Uni)

North Yorkshire has little in the way of a RL tradition though (equally until Scarborough were elevated to the old Football League they didn't have a football team, other than York City who in the very old days was shared with the East and West Ridings - Middlesbrough was though in the North Riding until it became transformed into North Yorkshire back in the 60s)

I was in a large place near Richmond "for work" until I moved down South to the Salisbury area "for work" :)

Also worked as a shopfitter on a place in Stockton-on-Tees when I was younger. Well loafed about whilst the people who knew what they were doing worked!

As I've already steered it down that route, why not make this a proper "off-topic" thread (as that may attract more posting/posters than talking about RL!)

As I've already steered it down that route, why not make this a proper "off-topic" thread (as that may attract more posting/posters than talking about RL!)

It's still early in the season (its last few games of season in UK and Oz) and there are loads of posters who like RL (5ish at a push, but quality not quantity). So there really is no need for an off topic thread (I'll change the title of this to off topic thread tomorrow).

So thanks but no thanks (thanks).

Oh and If people just watched a couple of games, like the NRL served up in the last 48 hours they'd see what a great game Rugby League is! (but they won't :()

• Advertisement

Used to watch a local team just beside Headingley station on Sunday mornings for a year or two. It was certainly "interesting" at that level in the mid 1980s (before the sport cleaned itself up). Occasionally would watch Leeds and when I moved back to Manchester I went to Wigan once or twice. It was and remains a sport very dominated in England by teams in certain parts of Lancashire and Yorkshire though.

Going back far enough the Challenge Cup Final was not that far behind the FA Cup final in terms of the occasion the BBC would make out of it. I guess a lot changed once Union became professional meaning there was a lot less crossover of players from Union into League. I do think Sky have put quite a bit into re-raising the game's profile a bit though (and it's prepared to embrace technology to make it more attractive).

Alas it never got a foothold in Ireland and Union is now way to big over here for it ever to happen. I am sure a large proportion of the population would hardly know it exists as a separate sport to Union

Lower leagues in England and Wales are much more geographically diverse now, but maintaining that for more than a season of two will be the problem, particularly when you see it's exclusively the southern teams at the Bottom of League 1. Sky have put good money into the game, particularly the latest deal, shame they won't stump up for the NRL and promote that with their sports news channel etc. Might have a few bob now they aren't paying for premiership rugby!

Off topic shenanigoats to begin.

Now.

All suggestions for the regular renaming of this thread will be gratefully received but there's a very high chance mine will get picked. ;)

Maybe you should simply update it every time you post - should be 8069 posts! now....

Done

D'oh!

Think that deserves a double thanks!!

Anyway, I'm knackered after all that activity. Heading off to bed to dream up a strategy to bring Frisbee back to life....

The answer to all life's problems (if alcohol is not available) is Lemon Sorbet. Could happily eat a tub a day.

Brave new thread title there DWW. Fortunately I don't think your co-mod ever visits this forum ....

Brave new thread title there DWW. Fortunately I don't think your co-mod ever visits this forum ....

I have billboards up asking if anyone has seen him. Don't think the lads in yawnion let him out though.

• Advertisement

Here I am bitterly looking over the fence at the louder, more popular and successful neighbours.

Why not change the thread title to something like:
    "Sam Burgess, showing them how to play Rugby since 2014"
    :)

Done, next title will involve Frisbee to piggyback off that forums success.

He looked good for the 20 minutes from what I endured of the game. He's an Englishman a few Aussies actually still like, going by reading the press this morning.

Still thought the Wigan Saints game was a better spectacle. :D

Think I'll do a "your name here" off topic thread for next title.

Thank Jebus the bar staff are so slow to serve in Terminal 2 Dublin Airport, otherwise I fear I'd be more hammered than I already am.

I'll keep my eye out for you - just in case you end up getting half your posts in the Soccer forum reported for trolling in an inebriated fashion .....

I'll keep my eye out for you - just in case you end up getting half your posts in the Soccer forum reported for trolling in an inebriated fashion .....

Hahaha thanks. It's a victory I'm still awake to hear my flight called. Only finished nights this morning, and sleep deprivation and beer not good combination (or very good combination depending on how you see it!) . I missed my terminal on airport bus already today and that was before beer.

14c fupp yeah. Who wants a window seat when you can have aisle.

Just hope you're not in charge of the emergency exit .....

On the topic of topics, I love them, third only to star bar and picnic in nut based confectionery. Prove me wrong people, prove me wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Topics... never been a fan of the nutty chocolate. More of a lion bar man myself.

It's good to see that the big game in Manchester on saturday evening will be between Leeds and Wigan and not England and Uruguay.

Am I the only one who thinks it was a deliberate ploy by union to play in the same city on the same day as Leagues showcase match?

Advertisement