Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Broadband - Price Increase - Break Contract

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Been with Virgin for just over a year for broadband and TV (two TV points in the home). Was paying around €69 and then when that deal ended a couple of months ago, price increased to €104.99 (would be increasing to €107.99 in Jan with price increase).

I’m very interested in Sky’s current offer of TV/BB and free TV. I called Virgin there to see what’s the best they can do. Offered me €84 for the first 6 months and then €99 for the next 6 months. Also increased my BB from 240mg to 250mg. Doesn’t seem too bad, not sure if I could’ve gotten much better?

I find the Horizon TV box pretty poor. Would much prefer to have Sky TV, but i’m unsure as to how good their broadband is. I live in Dublin 9, so not rural or anything. I’m happy with the Virgin broadband, but I prefer to have bundles, as there’s usually better value that way

I'd usually agree with bundles being value but Virgins tv offering is so bad it's worth paying a few euros extra for sky tv IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Lads ,

My contract expires with VM end of month. Just few questions about Sky. What do I need for them to connect me? Have always been with VM. Not mad on having wires run all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've a week left of my cancellation period. Vodafone going in on Wednesday. Just can't justify what Virgin were charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

Caranica wrote: »
    I've a week left of my cancellation period. Vodafone going in on Wednesday. Just can't justify what Virgin were charging.

Same as myself, not o ly that but there's road works on at the moment for SIRO in our area and Vodafone allows us to upgrade to it once it activates in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

mad m wrote: »
    Lads ,

My contract expires with VM end of month. Just few questions about Sky. What do I need for them to connect me? Have always been with VM. Not mad on having wires run all over the place.

For broadband only?

It connects to your telephone socket. Should only be a messy job if you decide you want your router somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

For broadband only?

It connects to your telephone socket. Should only be a messy job if you decide you want your router somewhere else.

BB,TV&phone

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

I was on 360Mbps BB, basic TV, landline that included international mobiles. Had been on a "6 month half price". Was at €89 and facing €3.50. Called up a few weeks ago... considered dropping to 250Mbps and dropping international mobiles... best offer was €76 from loyalty... so cancelled.

Then I called back on Black Friday and was offered €44.5 x 6 + €89 x 6 = €801.... for the 250Mbps BB, basic TV, landline with calls (but not international mobikes). So virtually same as new customer offee but without the Google Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Caranica wrote: »

Same here. Vodafone put in last Friday so still in my 14 day cooling of period. So far its been grand, not as good as VM but good none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

mad m wrote: »
    BB,TV&phone

BB & phone come through the phone socket as per above.

TV, well, they'll stick a dish on the side of your house and run cables from that, drill a hole through your wall, feed the cables in and then the cables have to get from the hole in the wall to your TV. How messy it gets depends on where your TV is in relation to where the dish is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Mav11 wrote: »
    Same here. Vodafone put in last Friday so still in my 14 day cooling of period. So far its been grand, not as good as VM but good none the less.

Anyone know when the cooling off period begins, I signed up with Vodafone on 21st November and took delivery and installation 9th December, bit of a disaster so far with Internet dropping, TV and phone haven't worked so far, have I missed the boat?

• Advertisement

Anyone know when the cooling off period begins, I signed up with Vodafone on 21st November and took delivery and installation 9th December, bit of a disaster so far with Internet dropping, TV and phone haven't worked so far, have I missed the boat?

No, the cooling period only kicks in from the date on the contract which should be once the service is provided. If in doubt, ring Vodafone.

Should be the 23rd December! I clarified that it was from the date of installation, before I signed up. But you would need to check with VF first.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭surrender monkey

Just wondering how long it took you to get your modem. I signed up to the vodafone offer and it's been a disaster. I was still finishing my 30 day cancellation with eir and vodafone took over my line immediately. They had said 15 to 25 days I still haven't got a modem two weeks later but my service is live so i still have to pay. So I'm paying eir and vodafone for broadband and I have no broadband what so ever.

Just wondering how long it took you to get your modem. I signed up to the vodafone offer and it's been a disaster. I was still finishing my 30 day cancellation with eir and vodafone took over my line immediately. They had said 15 to 25 days I still haven't got a modem two weeks later but my service is live so i still have to pay. So I'm paying eir and vodafone for broadband and I have no broadband what so ever.

Only a matter of a few days, modem came in the post and then contacted by Open eir who sent out an engineer from Kuen and Nagel to commission. All in all a week or so from placing the order:)

Only a matter of a few days, modem came in the post and then contacted by Open eir who sent out an engineer from Kuen and Nagel to commission. All in all a week or so from placing the order:)

By the way living in Dublin if that matters!

My engineer is due this week but I haven't received any modem? Moving to Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭kindalen

Moved to Vodafone. Siro brought the Vodafone modem with them when installing. Have gigabit broadband, performing very well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭surrender monkey

By the way living in Dublin if that matters!

Yes living in Dublin too. Filled out the application online. Two days later got a text to say they had taken over my line and to plug in my modem. I never got a modem and they cancelled my eir broadband. So now I'm paying two companies for broadband and I've none !

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

I was chatting with them online today - told em I wasn’t happy with increase. I’m on 58.50 for 240 broadband & phone (which has never been used) so will go up to 61.50 in January. Said it was ridiculous to be paying over 60 for just broadband as I don’t use phone. And I was tempted by a VF offer of 25 / 40 for 1st year. The agent directed me to the naked package 250mb which is 59 a month.
    I mentioned that there’s a 6 month offer of 44 for that. He replied yes - only for new customers. I said what about longtime loyal customers and he replied sorry nothing I can do. Unreal.

Anyway as I was on VF’s website, I put in my address and it says I’d get download speeds of up to 12Mbps and that the speed wasn’t enough to get Vodafone TV.
    Is that a sh1t speed? I don’t have TV service so all we do is stream - usually 2-3 devices at the same time. Mostly YouTube & Netflix /amazon. Usage peaked around 400GB in August but generally approx 200-250GB per month. Would VF cut it? I’m nervous about moving but don’t want to be continually shafted by VM either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

240 with Virgin Media is 240 Mbps so yes, it's a massive drop to go to a 12 Mbps line. That's the maximum you'd get too. Netflix needs at least 2 but recommends over 5 so I wouldn't switch if I were you.

• Advertisement

Karmella wrote: »
    I was chatting with them online today - told em I wasn’t happy with increase. I’m on 58.50 for 240 broadband & phone (which has never been used) so will go up to 61.50 in January. Said it was ridiculous to be paying over 60 for just broadband as I don’t use phone. And I was tempted by a VF offer of 25 / 40 for 1st year. The agent directed me to the naked package 250mb which is 59 a month.
    I mentioned that there’s a 6 month offer of 44 for that. He replied yes - only for new customers. I said what about longtime loyal customers and he replied sorry nothing I can do. Unreal.

Anyway as I was on VF’s website, I put in my address and it says I’d get download speeds of up to 12Mbps and that the speed wasn’t enough to get Vodafone TV.
    Is that a sh1t speed? I don’t have TV service so all we do is stream - usually 2-3 devices at the same time. Mostly YouTube & Netflix /amazon. Usage peaked around 400GB in August but generally approx 200-250GB per month. Would VF cut it? I’m nervous about moving but don’t want to be continually shafted by VM either.

Vodafone are working with SIRO. That's 1GB broadband that you'd have soon enough with vf.

John_Mc wrote: »
    240 with Virgin Media is 240 Mbps so yes, it's a massive drop to go to a 12 Mbps line. That's the maximum you'd get too. Netflix needs at least 2 but recommends over 5 so I wouldn't switch if I were you.

Good to know thank you. Just checked sky and can get the “Superfast” 75 mbps for 40 a month. Anyone know if that would be good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭podge3

John_Mc wrote: »
    Netflix needs at least 2 but recommends over 5 so I wouldn't switch if I were you.
    That's for SD. Bandwidth requirement goes right up to 25 megs for 4k HDR.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I mentioned that there’s a 6 month offer of 44 for that. He replied yes - only for new customers. I said what about longtime loyal customers and he replied sorry nothing I can do. Unreal..

I was in the exact same boat, phoned them earlier and moved to 250 naked, 44 for 9 months then 59 last 3, all I did was ask for it.
    Just phone back, it's quite pot luck on who you get talking to.
    Unfortunately I do not have SIRO available so all other providers pale in comparison when it comes to broadband

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I...I mentioned that there’s a 6 month offer of 44 for that. He replied yes - only for new customers. I said what about longtime loyal customers and he replied sorry nothing I can do....

Nothing he can do. You need to cancel. Then just before the 30 days up, talk to the retention team. The regular agents can do nothing.

You have to haggle like its a market stall. Just have to do that with the right person. Very immature and unprofessional how this is managed.

slave1 wrote: »
    I was in the exact same boat, phoned them earlier and moved to 250 naked, 44 for 9 months then 59 last 3, all I did was ask for it.
    Just phone back, it's quite pot luck on who you get talking to.
    Unfortunately I do not have SIRO available so all other providers pale in comparison when it comes to broadband

That is a good deal, did you threaten to cancel? I guess I need to ring so and see what they offer, I was only on online chat so might get someone different ... I agree with the other poster - it’s so unprofessional .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

My contract is up. Can you cancel over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Found VM useless on the increase and asked anything they could do.

They couldn't even understand that I emailed to cancel and said I couldn't have done it that way....

I was happy enough to stay but not with another increase....

Poor poor customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I called them and said I want to cancel and they offered me the 44 for 9 months deal.

• Advertisement

Switched to Vodafone. Did a speedtest on both WiFi networks last night as Virgin cancels on Friday. Very little between 100mb Vodafone (getting 80 something) and 240mb Virgin (getting 90 something) other than a huge difference in cost. Problem with the TV service though, still waiting for it to be connected. Not impressed with their customer service

Advertisement