Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Being recorded

• 14-11-2019 1:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭

Does anyone else not feel comfortable being recorded? Is it getting more and more common these days? It's interesting how some people are completely okay with it and others are not. Take lecturers for example. I remember one lecturer I used to have would record all his lectures, but they were recorded in such a way that there was video too, and his head took up about half the screen. He was completely okay with it. I wonder does the recording of lectures mean that students are less likely to ask questions!

I went along to interview coaching recently and I was informed only when I got there that it would be recorded. I wasn't particularly comfortable with this. I said I'd prefer for it not to be recorded. I didn't say this with a lot of certainty though, as this was sprung on me anyway. He quickly tried to reassure me that I should have it recorded, and I reluctantly said okay so. I shouldn't have said this as the inevitable awkward moment came a few minutes later when I asked him to turn it off. He said okay and turned it off.

It might be fine to be recorded if it was a lecture from him that was being recorded, and my total dialogue would have been less than 10%. But this was really a conversation between us and I had a lot of questions for him. I just felt that I couldn't think freely when I was being recorded. Does anyone ever feel this way?

It got a bit annoying later when he was asking me about my hobbies, and he asked about how many lengths of the pool I'd do. I said 'six'. I didn't realise we were apparently in interview role play mode at the time. He said "only six, why? It says you do triathlons on your CV". He was ex military so he wouldn't get the idea of only putting in 100% effort on the day itself. I felt like saying "would you mind your own business?". He then said "I know it might seem like I'm nit picking here, but a comment like that could give the impression that you don't commit to things". I guess what it could be is that if you anticipate a confrontation, you don't want to think you're being recorded.

I'm so glad I stopped the recording. Because later on he mentioned about how I didn't smile when I came in the door. He'd never have considered that that might have been because he didn't make me feel at ease. He then went on to stress the importance of smiling during an interview, and then he said "smile" to me. There's something patronising about being told to smile. So it was kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of moment. So I'm glad I don't have to relive such cringeworthy moments like that with a recording!

The last time I was fired I'm pretty sure the lady recorded the interaction. It made sense that she would as we were the only two in the room.

Comments

You only do six lengths of the pool. They shouldn't let you near the starting line of a triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Not mad about being recorded either, especially with little or no warning.

It sounds like you were being interviewed by someone who just watched The Joker and took it a bit too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,357 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I would not like to be recorded but you are coming across as very self conscious have you always been like that.

Extream self-consciousness can be a symptom of some underlying condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

I think there are two subjects here, the recording and the interview as it went and I can read it's more about the interview coaching then the recording you didn't like!

But it was a coaching interview, so the guy might have been a bit awkward and not the most sensitive, but I think he made fair points and only wanted to do his job, showing you your flaws in the interview and your behaviour.

Your now p***, instead you should be happy about the things he pointed out to you because they're valid points.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You only do six lengths of the pool. They wouldn't let you near the starting line of a triathlon.

I've never seen them ask how many lengths of a pool you do on a triathlon entry form.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

tara73 wrote: »
    Your now p***, instead you should be happy about the things he pointed out to you because they're valid points.
    He presumed that I'd behave the same way in an interview as I would around him.

I graduated three years ago from my undergrad and I still have no industry experience in my field. In other words, I'm ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ACADasltiv

To be honest, I don't think the interview coach did much wrong. Coaches recording interviews is standard practice so that they have a way of showing you what you look like and what you should be doing differently. My dad was sent on a dole course during the recession which was his first time in formal education since secondary school, and he was delighted to be able to show us all his recording (which was done in front of the whole class), because he had never had a formal interview in his life and the coach told him he came across very well.

I would also agree with the 6 lengths comment, I mean unless you're incredibly unfit or recovering from an injury I would think 10 lengths would be a warm up, and I go swimming an average of once a year. To say you went swimming and did 6 lengths is an unusual comment and of course you would enquire further.

Even your last comment about being f*cked shows how little faith you have in yourself, and that something employers can smell and will absolutely run a mile from. As someone who has gone to their GP and been prescribed SSRI's for anxiety in the past, I think the big issue here is you're letting your anxiety rule your life and if sitting in front of a camera for an interview coaching session caused all of this stress then maybe you should talk to your doctor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

You only do six lengths of the pool. They wouldn't let you near the starting line of a triathlon.

It'd want to be long course lengths at least, 6 short course lengths is frankly insulting!

ACADasltiv wrote: »
    I would also agree with the 6 lengths comment, I mean unless you're incredibly unfit or recovering from an injury I would think 10 lengths would be a warm up, and I go swimming an average of once a year. To say you went swimming and did 6 lengths is an unusual comment and of course you would enquire further.
    Well actually I would do weights for every muscle group and run 5 km before I go swimming. I do the sauna too which will tire one more. So if you factor in that I do all that before going swimming, then there's no shame in doing just 6 lengths.

In reality though , most guys who do 40 lengths are probably just going through a phase. Not many people keep 40 lengths consistent over their entire live. When that coach was later talking to me about how he has a problem with his shoulder and how he thought he needed to change his swimming technique as a result, I had to laugh to myself!
    ACADasltiv wrote: »
    Even your last comment about being f*cked shows how little faith you have in yourself, and that something employers can smell and will absolutely run a mile from.
    You're reading into my comment too much. Blind optimism can only go so far, and I've given it a go for three years. If the ratio of results to effort is too low, then there comes a time when everyone (you included) is going to start to feel resentful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

AFAIK, it’s not illegal to film or photograph somebody in public but there should be some kind of etiquette about it. I see people posting “funny” pictures on social media of people they see out and about and the person’s face won’t be obscured and it’s clear that they didn’t know they were being photographed. Not cool. Not illegal, but not cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

It was interview coaching. A big part of that is showing you how you would be perceived by an interviewer. So recording it would allow you to see how you present yourself. Nitpicking your answers is the same - in an interview everything you say and do will be judged.

What were you expecting from interview coaching? Lollipops? He did his job. I wish I was lucky enough to have a service like that to prepare me for interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ACADasltiv

Well actually I would do weights for every muscle group and run 5 km before I go swimming. I do the sauna too which will tire one more. So if you factor in that I do all that before going swimming, then there's no shame in doing just 6 lengths.

That is the exact response the interviewer wanted to hear, you're expanding on 6 lengths and turning it into an answer he can actually understand and probably identify with. I used to have the exact same approach as you in situations like that, before I realised that most people are incredibly understanding and actually do want you to perform well.

I had an ex-army college lecturer who was an absolute dick to people who weren't giving 100% at everything they do. When I think back now, had I explained the problems I was going through juggling an almost full-time job with full-time college, I know he would have been much more understanding of my situation.
    In reality though , most guys who do 40 lengths are probably just going through a phase. Not many people keep 40 lengths consistent over their entire live. When that coach was later talking to me about how he has a problem with his shoulder and how he thought he needed to change his swimming technique as a result, I had to laugh to myself!

Again, I would only think it worthwhile going swimming if I was doing 40 lengths, hence the reason I only end up going once a year. Someone doing 6 lengths x 3 days a week is doing 936 lengths per year, which puts mine to shame.
    You're reading into my comment too much. Blind optimism can only go so far, and I've given it a go for three years. If the ratio of results to effort is too low, then there comes a time when everyone (you included) is going to start to feel resentful.

Yeah, to be fair my last comment was more preachy than I wanted it to be. My guess would be that working on your communication skills would solve all of your career issues. Remember that the person on the other side of the table only knows what you're telling them, which is why what you're saying and how you're saying it are so important. You're going to an interview coach because you feel you deserve a job, so tell them why you deserve a job and ask how you should express this to potential employers.

Every interview I've ever been in has asked about personal interests, so if you go to the gym a lot then that is 100% going to come up in an interview. The interview coach should be helping you to perfect that one perfect answer that you will give to every single potential employer you meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

You only do six lengths of the pool. They shouldn't let you near the starting line of a triathlon.

It's hardly worth getting wet to do just 6 lengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

AFAIK, it’s not illegal to film or photograph somebody in public but there should be some kind of etiquette about it. I see people posting “funny” pictures on social media of people they see out and about and the person’s face won’t be obscured and it’s clear that they didn’t know they were being photographed. Not cool. Not illegal, but not cool.

That sounds incredibly horrible to me. Any pranks or anything like that on unsuspecting members of the public should I believe be illegal also. You'd think they could be taken down and prosecuted for harassment at the very least.

The notion that what you do in public is a free for all is not ok. By walking in public you are consenting to a one time showing of yourself to the people you calculate you will come across in public - we all make this calculation sometimes for what we will wear, whether we will shave and what we do. You aren't consenting to some drone coming along and taking zoomed up shots of you in the wilderness for example to be replayed again and again by millions of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

In reality though , most guys who do 40 lengths are probably just going through a phase. Not many people keep 40 lengths consistent over their entire live.

That I find to be BS my partner has swam 120 lengths 4 times a week for the last 45 years. Try not to group all people into your worldview please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I despise the face that everyone is carrying around a device that constantly surveils and records their every step and utterance.

Recently I Googled a shop and Google told me how busy it was on that time of day, obviously from analysing data from recording people’s locations from their phones. It also told me the date I last visited that shop, in 2014.

I’m giving some serious thought to getting rid of my smart phone and banning their usage in my home. My wife is into the idea but my children are far from keen. Signing up to be spied on, turkeys voting for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

It's very weird, all the recording. I'm of an age where I still wonder if it would be rude to take out my phone and photograph or video something, but it appears many feel zero compunction about lepping up in public and unselfconsciously making free with their digital eye. It does mean one gets to see the most extraordinary videos though, like floods, or tornados, or random people doing very weird things. Also on my social media feeds for whatever reason there are a lot of funny baby videos. I usually smile at these but at the same time think it is odd for these children to grow up with this persistent watcher, like they are always potentially on a stage in a play. It has to condition the ego in unforeseeable ways. Changes the sense of self. Of the nature of inner awareness. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I know the type. Bit thoughtless, criticising your manner at a time you're naturally tense, and he's far from put you at your ease. Being recorded on top of that sounds so stressful.

Recording people for any reason without their knowledge and consent (Not under duress either), is really bloody low. People are too handy with phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I know the type. Bit thoughtless, criticising your manner at a time you're naturally tense, and he's far from put you at your ease. Being recorded on top of that sounds so stressful.

:confused: This was interview coaching? Do you think he should only have given praise rather than honest feedback? And recording the mock interview is for the benefit of the interviewee, so they can watch it back and see what mistakes they have made, in order to do better in job interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

OP

i think the start of the problem is that you were not preadvised of the recording. I know its common place to do this and critique it afterwards. My concern would be the unprofessionalism in not telling you up front. Were you asked to sign any forms allowing the recording and explaining what would happen with the data?

While the interviewer sounds rude, the question on 6 lengths of the pool, if done correctly in an interview, is an opportunity for your personality and passion for the sport to come out. You should expect questions on this in a real interview. Having an opportunity to talk about something in more detail is great. Expand on why only 6 lengths... talk about how it fits into your training plan & how you fit your training around life/work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've never seen them ask how many lengths of a pool you do on a triathlon entry form.
    Tip : Most pools here are 25m so you'd have to be doing 60 lengths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

There are only 3 Olympic size pools in Ireland (50 meter). University of Limerick, UCD and National Aquatic Center

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I used to record my lectures in college, and the lecturers didn't object.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    It's hardly worth getting wet to do just 6 lengths.
    But there's the benefits of the sauna too.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I’m giving some serious thought to getting rid of my smart phone and banning their usage in my home. My wife is into the idea but my children are far from keen. Signing up to be spied on, turkeys voting for Christmas.
    But in reality there's no one spying on you, or cares where your phone has been.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are only 3 Olympic size pools in Ireland (50 meter). University of Limerick, UCD and National Aquatic Center
    Didn't the army get a 48m pool just so they wouldn't be forced to share it with Olympic hopefuls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

In my course at the moment there's a student that has requested lectures be recorded, which has been granted by the college provided that the person stops the recording if another student is speaking. I immediately said I have no issue with me being recorded so carry on if I'm yapping away.

As for in public, tough luck I'm afraid. As it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Didn't the army get a 48m pool just so they wouldn't be forced to share it with Olympic hopefuls ?

Out in the Irish Sea, I hope.

branie2 wrote: »
    I used to record my lectures in college, and the lecturers didn't object.

It depends on the lecturer. I record my own lectures to avoid any misunderstandings, but I have a ban on students doing any recording for themselves. The problem is that it's so easy to edit/modify video footage these days.

I get all students to sign a contract on entry to my classes regarding acceptable behavior. It removes many types of possible conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m old enough to remember when there was none and I’m only 35. :eek:

Advertisement