Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

• 25-01-2019 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Areas most at risk: Connaught, West Munster, Ulster

Anticipated hazards:
    • Heavy snow showers
    • Low night time temperature
    • Ice

Possible warning level(s): Yellow, Orange

Good cross model agreement now for early next week and the warning period starts within 72 hrs. From Monday evening, through Tuesday and most of Wednesday wintry showers turning readily to snow and there is a risk of disruption in the western half of the country. This looks like extending further east in to Leinster (particularly north Leinster) for Tuesday.

Snow showers more isolated elsewhere. Likely scattered thunderstorms also.

Night time temperatures between -6 and -1c away from windward coasts of the Atlantic with sharp frosts and ice issues.

Moderate northwesterly breezes.

gfseu-0-84.png?18

gfseu-1-90.png?18

Precipitation

90-574UK.GIF?25-18

Dew Point

90-101UK.GIF?25-18

Tuesday temperatures

90-580UK.GIF?25-18

Tuesday windchill

90-290UK.GIF?25-18

Mod Note : This is a busy thread , stay on topic and be civil. New posters please read the forum charter.

Off topic posts will be removed.

The Mod Team will not tolerate deliberate attempts to derail the thread and personal abuse.

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

Ah it’s great to have you back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Hope you and the GFS are right. For me, the uppers just aren't low enough for snow to all levels. All other models showing between -4 and -7 rather than the magic -8.
    ECM in particular keeping -8 a good bit away from us throughout.

Still think it will be a nowcast between a sloppy mess and very cold, miserable rain.

Above 250m of course, snow for sure.

(I really hope I'm wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I’ll have two tickets please..(just in case I lose one).

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

And we are off ladies and gentlemen all aboard the slow moving polar coaster that could have it’s rails greased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Mmmmmmm, this would be lovely if it happens.

• Advertisement

I’m hoping the 29th evening stroke night will give us the goodies. Model consensus - on Tuesday.

Cold that’s what we need for it to snow but more importantly for the snow to stay, that SSW drip feed will deliver a cold one - probably a few milder blips but overall it’ll be cold next week and please please please freezing proper winter the week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭giveitholly

G'wan kermit!!

• Registered Users Posts: 66,282 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Any bread?

Any bread?

Stockpile flour and lard mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Better not let any diggers near Lidl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

sdanseo wrote: »
    Hope you and the GFS are right. For me, the uppers just aren't low enough for snow to all levels. All other models showing between -4 and -7 rather than the magic -8.
    ECM in particular keeping -8 a good bit away from us throughout.

Still think it will be a nowcast between a sloppy mess and very cold, miserable rain.

Above 250m of course, snow for sure.

(I really hope I'm wrong)

I would have to agree with you. I just see the uppers being too marginal for our liking , I hope this changes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Better not let any diggers near Lidl

even better no scrotes near lidl

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

528 dam line well South of Ireland on Tues, plenty of precipitation feeding in from embedded troughs in a brisk NW'ly

4djlQYZ.gif

North westerly yum 😋

528 dam line well South of Ireland on Tues, plenty of precipitation feeding in from embedded troughs in a brisk NW'ly

Unfortunately 528 doesn’t guarantee snow as per GL’s snow requirements!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I think the uppers are ok, the thicknesses are nice and low and the dew point is decently low. Troughs could bring heavier precip (snow more likely in heavier showers) if they form. It's not all about the uppers. The ECM brings a pocket of -8 uppers too btw for what it's worth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Unfortunately 528 doesn’t guarantee snow as per GL’s snow requirements!!

That's right but it's a good start .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Westies be like to the Easties
    aZlgS1w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

All minimum variable requirements for snow would appear to be comfortably met based on the model guidance at the moment.

I really wouldn't worry about it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I've a strong feeling tonight we are on the cusp!! I expect some pretty decent upgrades by the morning

• Advertisement

January snow storm in the words of another poster “username checks out”

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I think the uppers are ok, the thicknesses are nice and low and the dew point is decently low. Troughs could bring heavier precip (snow more likely in heavier showers) if they form. It's not all about the uppers. The ECM brings a pocket of -8 uppers too btw for what it's worth.

Why you being modest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Artane2002

NMB wrote: »
    Why you being modest ?

Because we've been getting screwed out of cold/snow all winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yay!

Just turned on phone and see the thread Ive been waiting on all Winter.

Roll on the slushy mess

Though prob be freezing n ill be saying how are all these showers missing us

Few then to many 10 day stepping stones, not screwed - it’s computer models weather and super fun trying to work out what’s happening- lighten up and come up here to the shallows enjoy the surface don’t be so serious

Forgot to quote artane2000 but I’m replying to him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The pub run GFS charts posted above are, of course, the coldest of the models.

GFS Sounding for Galway area at the same time (13Z Tuesday). Cold enough for snow.

sondagegfs_19_6_90_0_1548458603.png

Now the ARPEGE. Rain.
    sondagearpegefr_202_454_96_0_1548459585.png

850-1000 thicknesses 1287 versus 1317 dam. A huge difference.

The WRF and Arome soundings will be available closer to the time, but I wouldn't be so confident of a notable event at low levels.

I've a strong feeling tonight we are on the cusp!! I expect some pretty decent upgrades by the morning

Hmm you would have to jinx it wouldn’t you!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Model evolutions are certainly something to keep an eye on. I'll be looking at Tuesday to see how the situations develops anyway!

Hopefully something, anything! A nice covering of hail would be a conciliation at this point, the only white I've seen in this country this year has been in the actual kitchen freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Meh, looks like a standard north westerly, we had one earlier this week and it wasn't exactly exciting. Looks more of a westerly quadrant this time so more of the country effected I guess..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Advertisement