Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting C Licence through FAS.

• 28-10-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Has any boards members gained their C licence through FAS? Im thinking about doing Heavy Goods Vehicle Driving (HGV) - Rigid course in ballyfermot. Im not sure if you get your licence through this course though. anyone ever do it?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭donkey balls

They have private driving schools do the actual driver training the driver CPC afaik is done in house,I never done mine with FAS but allways heard of a back log with courses like these due to the amount of $$$$ it costs.
    I presume you would have to pay for your own medical&provisional licence it is a good thing to have even better if they pay for your artic licence:D,i paid for mine back in the 90s and it cost me a small fortune which is keeping me employed at present as my other field of work has nothing doing at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

yeah i was over in my Local employment service centre today..and they said they would help me out paying for the licence and theory test. i have a medical card so the medical will be free as will the eye test if needed. a friend of mine said he got his licence through fas. he now drives for dublin bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

:eek:.How can this be done? I tried fas once and she said that the course was only to get you up to the test stage.You still had to do the normal test.Cheers! now ya tell me:rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Fas only provide 8 hours training per student. Last I heard it was contracted to Alexandrea School of Motoring.

To even be eligable to apply you have to get your leaner permit first, Which means;
    Eye Test - €20-30
    Medical - €50
    Theory Test - €37
    Pictures - €6
    Permit - €15

So it will cost roughly 120-140 quid to get your permit.

The course doesn't include the test, CPC exams. So either way it will still cost money to get your license.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

yes...this is true.. but Obair (Local Employment services) are willing to pay all these fees for me. im sure if you enquire they will do the same for you. my brother got 6 driving lessons last week. and that was the reason i made the enquiry. i also have a medical card so the eye/medical exam will me free of charge.

If you look on the fas website..it says

This course has been designed to provide business with personnel who are skilled as Class C licensed drivers of Heavy Goods Vehicles with Rigid Bodies and DRIVER CPC Certification. (DRIVER CPC - Driver Certificate of Professional Competence. The aim of the course is to provide the trainees with the skills and related knowledge in the rules of the road, driving a heavy goods vehicle - rigid body, care and maintenance of the vehicle, loading and unloading the vehicle, customer care and documentation and to develop their attitudes, personal effectiveness, and job seeking skills which will enable them to obtain employment driving rigid body heavy goods vehicles.

I sent them a mail to find out if the exams are included in the course..i was told they were by a friend.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Fas only provide 8 hours training per student. Last I heard it was contracted to Alexandrea School of Motoring.

To even be eligable to apply you have to get your leaner permit first, Which means;
    Eye Test - €20-30
    Medical - €50
    Theory Test - €37
    Pictures - €6
    Permit - €15

So it will cost roughly 120-140 quid to get your permit.

The course doesn't include the test, CPC exams. So either way it will still cost money to get your license.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Nah FAS would be of no use to me i have my artic licence since 98,Not to dampen your spirits if you do manage to get the licence but there is f**k all jobs at present for newly qualified drivers.
    At present there is an over supply so employers can be particular regarding experience and who they employ,Also the wages offered these days are the same or less than someone working in a fastfood chain or low skilled job.

,Also the wages offered these days are the same or less than someone working in a fastfood chain or low skilled job.

Listen to the Donkey people! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭irish_bhoy09

any body know if fas are still running these courses?

any body know if fas are still running these courses?

Not sure, I haven't seen them on their website. Best bet is to call them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corkboy10

I know this thread is a bit old but as of this month (august 2013) they still do rigid and artic courses i got the rigid off them as well as ADR but no job with it (yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭specialized105

corkboy10 wrote: »
    I know this thread is a bit old but as of this month (august 2013) they still do rigid and artic courses i got the rigid off them as well as ADR but no job with it (yet)
    hi who do u apply through for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭irish_bhoy09

hi who do u apply through for this?

Local fas office id say

Advertisement