Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I saw an abandoned classic and took a pic thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

junkyard wrote:
    This week outside Dungourney Co. Cork. A Triumph Mayflower, a Saab 96, a couple of Renault 4's and an old Land Rover (not in the picture) next to a house. There were a couple of vile purple coloured Talbot Sunbeam's too but I didn't think they were worth photographing tbh.:rolleyes: :)

I know exactly that place. I wonder what the story is. 2 miles further up the road there is a field full of granadas.

Tom Rigney in dungourney has a hearse inside in his workshop too. No idea what it is, but it has been there since before I was born I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

maidhc wrote:
    I know exactly that place. I wonder what the story is. 2 miles further up the road there is a field full of granadas.

Tom Rigney in dungourney has a hearse inside in his workshop too. No idea what it is, but it has been there since before I was born I reckon.
    The hearse he has was from my town, I remember it on the road. Is the field full of Granadas up towards Clonmult maidhc?

junkyard wrote:
    The hearse he has was from my town, I remember it on the road. Is the field full of Granadas up towards Clonmult maidhc?

It is. There was a Ford 4000 there too once, but I got my hands on that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Especially for junkyard;)
    zodiac001.jpg

zodiac002.jpg

taken at Riverstown, Co Sligo

Thanks maidhc, I must investigate.:D Thanks for the photo Blue850, is it a recent photo and is the hearse still there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

junkyard - was that you towing an old Granada Hearse on the M4 (eastbound) last Saturday evening?

I turned to the wife and said "that's probably junkyard" and she said "Who?"!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

I took the photo of the Zodiac hearse about 3 weeks ago at the Folk museum in Riverstown. its in a field behind the museum.

junkyard - was that you towing an old Granada Hearse on the M4 (eastbound) last Saturday evening?

I turned to the wife and said "that's probably junkyard" and she said "Who?"!! :D
    No Wishbone, it wasn't me this time, I've enough on my plate at the moment.:) Thanks again Blue850 for the photo, it's a shame it's left to go to that state.:(

There is an abandoned Capri Mk III 1.6 Laser in the Marina Commercial Park in Cork. Didn't have time to inquire or take photos as I was there during work. Body looked sound enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hillman Hunter - late series, with the chrome rear panel, in a garage on the side of the road in Trien, near Castlerea Co Roscommon.

It's on the l.h.s. as you travel from Castlerea, in an old shed up against the public road, parallel to it. Shed has no door, so as you drive along, you'll see the chrome panel shining at ya, and the old chrome/black no plate.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Not technically abandoned! It's in a scrapyard in Mullingar, it only arrived there a few weeks back. Don't know if it's for sale or just awaiting restoration.

zep.jpg

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

^ They could have at least put in on blocks.

Their is an old car, I think maybe a Vauxhall Viva or something like that, sitting on top of a container in the scrap yard across from the Red Cow. It is in rough condition and can be clearly seen from the Naas Road. I think it has gone past the restoration stage, as rust seems to have got the better of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

that Vauxhall has gone now, not sure where to, but its amazing the car survived this long given the poor quality of metal they used at the time

Regards
    Darren

^ Probably to the crusher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

dsc03811zl9.jpg

steve06 wrote:
    dsc03811zl9.jpg

That's hardly an abandoned classic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

No feck all about classics but happened to come accross this thread earlier and then happened to be somewhere that stores cars and saw this Merc with a big rusty bonnet. Accidentally took video instead of a picture, so the quality of the screengrab is not the best.

untitledda9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

delly wrote:
    No feck all about classics but happened to come accross this thread earlier and then happened to be somewhere that stores cars and saw this Merc with a big rusty bonnet. Accidentally took video instead of a picture, so the quality of the screengrab is not the best.

untitledda9.jpg

:eek:

............that looks like it had an engine fire ! The bonnet is all burned and warped !

I actually think I know who owned that car, where did you see it, I cant see the reg but its unusual colour makes it look very like a 450SL belong to a friends of mine !

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

MercMad wrote:
    :eek:

............that looks like it had an engine fire ! The bonnet is all burned and warped !

I actually think I know who owned that car, where did you see it, I cant see the reg but its unusual colour makes it look very like a 450SL belong to a friends of mine !
    Didnt get too close, but i'd say your spot on about the fire damage. Its in a place just of the M50 Tallaght junction.

Mmmm yes that ties in !

Hopefully it can be saved, if its the car I recall it was a very nice one when I saw it last year !

• Advertisement

Not strictly abandoned but aparantly in the ditch for the last 4 weeks !

Sorry about the poor quality, and yes I actually did stop to take it, its just my hand was still travelling ! :D

cars001.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Um, is that a double decker bus in a ditch?!

Were there skid marks in the road (or the drivers seat)?

Yeah its a very old bus, early 70's, and there were no skid marks at all. It looked like it just slip on in. I dunno what happened, but apparantly it has deteriorated in the last month, folk have robbed lights and mirrors and even the number plates have gone !

MercMad wrote:
    Yeah its a very old bus, early 70's, and there were no skid marks at all. It looked like it just slip on in. I dunno what happened, but apparantly it has deteriorated in the last month, folk have robbed lights and mirrors and even the number plates have gone !
    It was stolen and crashed by a drunken driver. There was a piece about it in the Fingal Independent a couple of weeks ago.

You'd think after 4 weeks the bus would be removed, and you'd think the owner would want it back too.

MercMad wrote:

.........jeeeez he could easily have killed someone, there isn't a lot of room on that road and its quite twisty !

I'd say there is an insurance issue, and the owner does not want to pay for its recovery out of his own pocket. Its strange that the Gardai cant make someone take it away !

Mercedes Benz 190D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

Mercedes Benz 190D

where?

where?
    Romanian-Bulgarian border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

Hi does anyone know where there are any vw campervans for sale or free to take away either bay window or splitscreen obviously the splkitscreen will not be got for nothin but maybe at a bargain price ? Willing to travel and dig out of a hedge :)

Vivienne.

Advertisement