Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brake rebuild kits

• 16-09-2020 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever purchased a brake rebuild kit for a W114? There seems to be hundreds of options online, all claiming they're the correct one. Is there an easy way to determine the kit which matches the calipers on the car? It's a bloody nightmare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Best thing to do is take apart the calliper and measure the diameter of the piston, then you can be sure you are ordering the correct parts. You have to take it apart anyway.

I always dismantle one side first, mainly for inspection but also to make sure I'm ordering the correct stuff. Any decent seller will be able to tell you the piston diameter of a kit.

I normally source brake calliper parts from Biggred in the uk, call him and explain exactly what you want.

http://www.ebaystores.co.uk/Bigg-Red-Ltd

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

/\/\/\

Exactly what he says.

Do not rely on a seller to tell you which kit you need. You need to measure the piston
    your self.

I know a few guys that bought kits on sellers advice only to end up with a kit that did not
    fit, and then stuck with them as the seller would not refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Thanks guys. I'll contact Bigg-Red.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Another good place I've found for brake parts is Brakes International in Rochdale, Lancs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ozf

outfox wrote: »
    Has anyone ever purchased a brake rebuild kit for a W114? There seems to be hundreds of options online, all claiming they're the correct one. Is there an easy way to determine the kit which matches the calipers on the car? It's a bloody nightmare.

1968-1976 had 57mm front Ate repair kit part number 13.0441.5718.2 & 38mm rear Ate repair kit part number 13.0441.3811.2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I send calipers across to Bigg Red as opposed to buying parts. Every time I order up parts from these guys something always arrives incorrectly

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Appreciate the info. Thanks all.

Advertisement