Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post a picture of your classic vehicle here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tyney

Mine for the last 13 years

Then there's this more recent project

And then there's this yoke.
    I bring this out quite a lot, but it rarely draws any interest.
    It's by far the best original car I've ever owned. Complete rebuild of all suspension components, so it drives like a new car. Great brakes, excellent handling, everything working perfectly. Interior re stuffed with original vinyl on all surfaces. Never welded.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That Berlina is bloody lovely. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ill post some more pics later.

• Advertisement

Very 60's

Engine and subframe out.

Rebuild

Oily bits back together

Here is the root of my problem. I see this as art.

• Advertisement

Hub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Beautiful collection tyney and thanks for posting your resto work!

Do you use them much?

Beautiful collection tyney and thanks for posting your resto work!

Do you use them much?

Every week I get one of them out. Once the roads are reasonably dry, I find an excuse.
    I took a day off late last summer. Washed all 3, then air-dried them by doing 100 miles in each of them. Most enjoyable selfish day of my year. All 3 taxed and insured. Proper modern tyres on them, and running lovely.
    The Appia is a 58. Column shift with sliding pillar suspension and drum brakes.
    The Berlina is a 68. Disc brakes, better suspension and so much more refined after just 10 years. The Coupe is a 76, another 8 years saw 4 pot calipers and a 5 speed box.
    It's funny driving them chronologically. The advances over 20 years are remarkable.

If I was to sell all 3, I wouldn't have the price of a new family car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

tyney wrote: »

Ah ya would john, you could buy a new dacia I'm sure and at least you'd have a 201 plate

Actually you could do a hell of a lot better than a dacia.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,753 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'd say you would :)

unkel wrote: »
    I'd say you would :)

You would be surprised. They can be picked up for modest enough cash. Lancias were very expensive new, but are not really on collectors radars.
    A 68 capri was around 890 pounds.
    A fulvia was around 1700 pounds

kev1.3s wrote: »
    Actually you could do a hell of a lot better than a dacia.

An Alfa giulia is 40k.
    Replace stylish sporty Italians with stylish sporty Italian.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

now thats a collection of REAL classics !

• Advertisement

You would be surprised. They can be picked up for modest enough cash.

A family car (say Skoda Octavia) is €22k

You put down some values for your three cars that add up to less than €22k and I might buy one or two of them from you at those prices :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    A family car (say Skoda Octavia) is €22k

You put down some values for your three cars that add up to less than €22k and I might buy one or two of them from you at those prices :pac:

My comment was a little tongue in cheek. It's easy keep cars that didn't cost much to buy.
    The coupe has been an absolute joy to own and I will never part with it. The others are nice.

The coupe has been an absolute joy to own and I will never part with it.

And so you shouldn't. It looks stunning!

My comment was a little tongue in cheek. It's easy keep cars that didn't cost much to buy.
    The coupe has been an absolute joy to own and I will never part with it. The others are nice.

I had a 74 Fulvia coupe I tried to restore. I think I had every mechanic in the town out trying to get it running right - a bunch of lads used to looking at Ford CVH engines had not a clue or hope I am afraid, I'd say a few of them ended up looking for refuge with the local Toyota dealer as a direct result.

What a car though.

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I had a 74 Fulvia coupe I tried to restore. I think I had every mechanic in the town out trying to get it running right - a bunch of lads used to looking at Ford CVH engines had not a clue or hope I am afraid, I'd say a few of them ended up looking for refuge with the local Toyota dealer as a direct result.

What a car though.

I struggle to get it running properly. Every now and then I accidentally get it right.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbcSRA3D5Ng

I bought it having dropped a valve - I took the head off and sorted the remarkably little damage myself, but the alloy head seemed to be beyond any of the mere mortals who lived locally. When I finally got it sorted ( I think we used 2 or 3 ) the solex carbs were like Chinese to a Spaniard, I ran out of money before I ever got to really own it. Sad times.

I struggle to get it running properly. Every now and then I accidentally get it right.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbcSRA3D5Ng

Dont mind john being modest, hes the master of fulvia engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Here's my youngtimer, it's been off the road for about 4 years now. I'm hoping to get back out in it this summer.
    One owner before me, full service history. 2.2 vtec with 4ws.

fcTAZDH.jpg

a2uyKoC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Ended up buying this one today. Great condition inside and out, and drove the 120 miles home without a problem.

500404.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Unwanted family project ended up in my yard in pieces 3 months ago.
    Now on the button:)

aD2uh6p.jpg

oEbi32i.jpg

HskLwFu.jpg

uS0FfQp.jpg

nptcB06.jpg

Just making new leather seat covers, then here we come:)

Advertisement