Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ath262

could the last part be 'Meeting House' ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I agree but can't read what it says after Scots church.

"A convert from about 19 years back, then baptised in Scots church...."

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

ath262 wrote: »
    could the last part be 'Meeting House' ?

Could be, would bit above "House" be priest's initials?

Coloured image on Ancestry any better?

Oh I think you've got it!

The Scots Church was on Meeting House Lane...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I was about to suggest that - think that was near, or off, Mary's street

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Hi all. Few handwriting queries below if someone wouldn't mind taking a look (sorry for the lack of hyperlinks but can't post them as a new user).

The 2nd entry is confusing me as it looks like it reads Clara, Meath. I wouldn't expect that person to be in that county and then there's the issue of there being no Clara in Meath.

civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1925/09148/5308589.pdf

The 5th entry looks to be the maiden name McCroghan (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm struggling to find anything solid for this surname, are there any variations of it (tried, McCrohan, McCroghen, and without the 'Mc')?

civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02729/2003611.pdf

The name pops up again here (6th from the end) and I also can't make out who the godfather is.

registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634260#page/149/mode/1up

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Clara, Meath - that's what it looks like to me too.

McCroghan - check she was not a widow which can involve two surnames

Godfather Dionysius (Denis) McCrohan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

mindhorn wrote: »
    Hi all. Few handwriting queries below if someone wouldn't mind taking a look (sorry for the lack of hyperlinks but can't post them as a new user).

The 2nd entry is confusing me as it looks like it reads Clara, Meath. I wouldn't expect that person to be in that county and then there's the issue of there being no Clara in Meath.

civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1925/09148/5308589.pdf

The 5th entry looks to be the maiden name McCroghan (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm struggling to find anything solid for this surname, are there any variations of it (tried, McCrohan, McCroghen, and without the 'Mc')?

civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02729/2003611.pdf

The name pops up again here (6th from the end) and I also can't make out who the godfather is.

Thanks.

Clara in Offaly is in the Diocese of Meath maybe they mistook it for the county. Clara is very close to the border and has a railway station where the father may have worked.

https://dioceseofmeath.ie/clara/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Thanks.

There are other McCrohans in the area at the same time. This time spelt without the G.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/7f5d2a2263120?b=https%3A%2F%2Fcivilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie%2Fchurchrecords%2Fcivil-perform-search.jsp%3Fnamefm%3D%26namel%3D%26exact%3D%26name2fm%3D%26name2l%3D%26location%3D%26yyfrom%3D1883%26yyto%3D1883%26type%3DM%26century%3D%26decade%3D%26sort%3D%26pageSize%3D100%26ddBfrom%3D%26mmBfrom%3D%26yyBfrom%3D%26ddMfrom%3D%26mmMfrom%3D%26yyMfrom%3D%26ddDfrom%3D%26mmDfrom%3D%26yyDfrom%3D%26ddPfrom%3D%26mmPfrom%3D%26yyPfrom%3D%26ddBto%3D%26mmBto%3D%26yyBto%3D%26ddMto%3D%26mmMto%3D%26yyMto%3D%26ddDto%3D%26mmDto%3D%26yyDto%3D%26ddPto%3D%26mmPto%3D%26yyPto%3D%26locationB%3D%26locationM%3D%26locationD%3D%26locationP%3D%26keywordb%3D%26keywordm%3D%26keywordd%3D%26keywordp%3D%26event%3D%26district%3DCaherciveen%26submit%3DSearch

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

Thanks all.

Didn't occur to me that she may have been a widow but I've had a look around and nothing stands out. Though I did manage to find another child of theirs who was born in 1876.

But nothing prior to that year so I had a look through marriages from 1870 - 1876. Very few Patrick Sullivan's married Bridget's in that period.

Thanks for clarifying that it's that Clara and the name Dionysius.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks all.

Didn't occur to me that she may have been a widow but I've had a look around and nothing stands out. Though I did manage to find another child of theirs who was born in 1876.

I can see 4 children to that couple on rootsireland between 1878 and 1888. Will PM you details, so as to not take thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

Looking at the last entry (right-hand side page) here.

Father George McMahon and mother Margaret/Mary? McGeary. Anyone know what the first name of the child would be? The superscripts confuse me.

looks like Margt. , with the gt. uppercase, to me, so Margaret

same sort of abbreviation a few lines up, but without the uppercase

rootsireland has the child's name transcribed as Jane. Mother Margaret.
    Witnesses James and Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

spurious wrote: »
    rootsireland has the child's name transcribed as Jane. Mother Margaret.
    Witnesses James and Rose.

Do you think the superscript beside what looks like "Jan" suggests otherwise though?

I think that's abbreviating the genitive case in Latin Jan am (Jane of xx parents?)

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

spurious wrote: »
    Clara, Meath - that's what it looks like to me too.

McCroghan - check she was not a widow which can involve two surnames

Godfather Dionysius (Denis) McCrohan

Caveat RootsIreland:

I took a one month subscription to RootsIreland to check up some of their new records. Some of their transcriptions are decidedly dodgy. For example, Roots transcribed the sponsors' names as Dominic Kean and Honor Kidian on the Roscommon RC parish register [p190 https://bit.ly/2MPSTsG]; I checked the original register online to find the names on the register were latinised: according to the register the sponsors were Dionysius Kean, which it usually translated as Denis, and Honoria Kilian. The RootsIreland transcription doesn't indicate that it has actually translated the names. In addition it adds a note 'not paid', when in fact the entry on the register reads 'nil'. They transcribe the address as Road Walk, although it looks to me that the first letter is B, not R - I'd have to do some digging to find out what it actually says.

I was particularly interested in CoI records for Co Wicklow - I had started transcribing records in the RCB so I had some transcriptions to compare. There were discrepancies between my transcriptions and Roots, but unfortunately I can't check as the records are not online.

I haven't managed to find a report error function - Roots is useful but really needs to improve considerably. Compared to the subscriptions for Findmypast it's way over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭kildarejohn

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I think that's abbreviating the genitive case in Latin Jan am (Jane of xx parents?)

Not wanting to be too pedantic, but Jan-am would possibly be the Accusative case, ie. Jane is the object of the sentence "I baptised Jane daughter of George" (assuming Jane takes similar endings to Latin mensa)
    Georgii is the genitive of Georgius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Anyone care to tackle this one from Argentina

ehlwHlA.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What is the record and have you a link to the source?

Genealogy Forum Mod

This thread is more about handwriting than language translation.

Please post a link to the source, as per the rules of this forum.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    This thread is more about handwriting than language translation.

Please post a link to the source, as per the rules of this forum.

Hi

I didn't specifically ask for translation, Google can do that for me. I can't link directly to the source but I found the record on https://www.familysearch.org/ and searched for Maria Lynn b.1870 in Argentina. The text result gives the father as Juan Lynn and Maria Kelly. I was interested in knowing what the rest of the text is.

If this post isn't appropriate for the forum, please let me know and I'll remove.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Griffinx wrote: »
    If this post isn't appropriate for the forum, please let me know and I'll remove.

It's not that your post is inappropriate - quite the opposite in my opinion - but that it lacks detail.
    A link to the source of the document and a comment about your interest in it provides context that can help others to help you.

Here's a link to the document - https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XNN3-R21

Genealogy Forum Mod

I found a quick email to the embassy very helpful in some dealings I had with Chilean records. They explained what my document was and an embassy worker even helped me with a little bit of research to find my relative's grave in Valparaiso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

Hi

I didn't specifically ask for translation, Google can do that for me. I can't link directly to the source but I found the record on https://www.familysearch.org/ and searched for Maria Lynn b.1870 in Argentina. The text result gives the father as Juan Lynn and Maria Kelly. I was interested in knowing what the rest of the text is.

I can read most of it but am a bit of unsure what you mean by being interested in knowing what the rest of the text is and not asking for translation. As long as it is, there's little that is different to an Irish baptism record except it does give her parents' ages.

Vetch wrote: »
    I can read most of it but am a bit of unsure what you mean by being interested in knowing what the rest of the text is and not asking for translation. As long as it is, there's little that is different to an Irish baptism record except it does give her parents' ages.

I thought that if I could get the handwriting words, I could add it to the typewritten text and Google translate would translate it all. Could you tell me the parents' ages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

I thought that if I could get the handwriting words, I could add it to the typewritten text and Google translate would translate it all. Could you tell me the parents' ages?

I think her father is 35 (treinta y cinco anos de edad), either that or 37 (which would be treinta y siete), and her mother is definitely 30. Both of the sponsors are 23. All four are Irish.

• Advertisement

Vetch wrote: »
    I think her father is 35 (treinta y cinco anos de edad), either that or 37 (which would be treinta y siete), and her mother is definitely 30. Both of the sponsors are 23. All four are Irish.

Many thanks...and I didn't even need Google translate ;)

Advertisement