Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis Petrol Owners

• 08-10-2009 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

To all Toyota Avensis Petrol Owners, Iis the 1.6L Economical?
    Rougly, how many miles per gallon you racking up?
    Considered diesel but the Annual Tax is far too expensive.

Generally aiming at the 2003-2008 Model (Incl MC Model)

All comments, much Appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

1.6 = 430e road tax
    2.0 = 614 road tax

difference being 175e per year, imo you would save more on fuel costs over the year to justify the diesel model, although it depends on the purchase price and the miles you do per year to work out whether your better off in petrol or diesel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

kceire wrote: »
    1.6 = 430e road tax
    2.0 = 614 road tax

difference being 175e per year, imo you would save more on fuel costs over the year to justify the diesel model, although it depends on the purchase price and the miles you do per year to work out whether your better off in petrol or diesel.

+1

Plus the diesel will sell easier and for a better price when you come to sell it. The Avensis is a heavy car and the 1.6 really isn't enough for it. Maybe consider going back a year and getting a diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭SeanW

EPM wrote: »
    +1

Plus the diesel will sell easier and for a better price when you come to sell it. The Avensis is a heavy car and the 1.6 really isn't enough for it. Maybe consider going back a year and getting a diesel
    That would be my advice too - I got an Avensis diesel (99) as my first car and I f***ing love it. :D ok the tax sucked but I had savings, and I could have paid in 3 or 6 month increments if I needed to do so.

Remember that diesel fuel is cheaper and you tend to get more MPG - remember also that fuel taxes are likely to be increased seriously in the next budget.

Beyond that my best advice would be that if the car is over 4 years old make sure it has an NCT, get a mechanic to give you a list of things you should look for in your examination and test drive, and check the cars history as well on Cartell. Cars 6 years and younger are generally new enough that a previous owners financing might be a problem so be sure to do a Finance Check as well.

Edit: one last thing, if you can afford an 08 Avensis, get a diesel that was first registered after July, you'll pay tax based on carbon emissions rather than engine size and I'm fairly sure you'd pay less tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Damien360

depends on what you buy the car for. Economy has more to do with initial cost of the car than petrol running costs and tax which are minimal in comparison.

We have an 07 1.6 for the last 18 months or thereabouts. No costs other than fuel and it is used as a town car. 30mpg around the town always. You will get 43mpg at a push on a long stretch. It is perfect for town use but struggles a little on overtaking on open road. Good use of the gears solves that. It is actually a very light car and that is very apparent on the motorway as there is a lot of road noise and wind buffering (compared to my mondeo). If you can get your hands on the 1.8 petrol or 2.0 diesel then those are the ones to go for. Vast, vast majority are the 1.6 and there is plenty to choose from. Mostly strata spec. Bargain hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

I can get about 500 miles out of 60 litres of petrol

You should keep the oil level topped up, theres a litre of difference

between full and top-up-now on the dipstick.

Dont pay too much attention to the electronic range display if its fitted

Its very pessimistic at best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd opt for the 1.8 litre instead of the 1.6 litre. The 1.8 has similar fuel economy as the 1.6 but doesn't struggle to ferry the heavy body around. The great thing in Ireland is that the default choice is the 1.6 so 1.8 versions tend to sell for the same price or less second hand so the difference in running costs usually only boils down to the slightly higher motor tax. Plus most 1.8 models are the higher spec LUNA model not available in 1.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭SeanW

wing52 wrote: »
    I can get about 500 miles out of 60 litres of petrol
    I just tested mine, fill up, drive 500 miles (over 3 weeks) fill up again.

45 litres/500 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

To be honest i think the 1.6 is a horrible car, they are so badly geared its incredible they needed a 6th gear v badly, the gear selection is floppy and vauge and the power steering is anxious and erratic, economy is not so bad but a diesel one would be the way to go without a doubt, and someone said they are not heavy:eek:ive had me ma's on the lift in the garage and its bloody heavy it took more strain out of the lift than a feckin hiace!!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

i have this car since 3 weeks, insurance company gave it to me as a replacement car. It drinks the petrol. it is 2007 1.6 petrol Avensis.

I reset the trip computer on dashboard. I was in twice in petrol station when the fuel light was on.

First visit 50 litres of petrol for €75.4 euro and second was 26.5 litres of petrol for €40 euro . I can get only make 925km with total trip.

€75.4
    €40
    +_______
    €115,4 <-- Total spend

50 Ltr
    26.5Ltr
    +_______

76.5 Litres <----Total Litres ****** 925 km Total km

Result
    12.09 km per litre
    8.27 litre per 100 km. **** 34 mpg

I think it is very expensive to run this car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

kceire wrote: »
    1.6 = 430e road tax
    2.0 = 614 road tax

Amazing it's gone up 100 quid in 4 years, bastards...

IBTL zombie thread..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I had an 07 face lifted diesel as a company car for a while, great on fuel and plenty of power for overtaking etc. Would have no problem recommending one. Never had a petrol one but a guy in work has a 04 1.6 one and it returns 40mpg according to him. That's not bad at all, and I don't think he has ever had any problems outside of normal wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭ofcork

I filled mine the last time and reset the trip ,got 411 miles and took 77 euro petrol to fill at 151.9,think it works out around 38mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭bigroad

I have the last of the older model 2003 1.6vvti and i always get 42mpg and on a long easy run i get 47mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

bigroad wrote: »
    I have the last of the older model 2003 1.6vvti and i always get 42mpg and on a long easy run i get 47mpg.

I heard that old shapes of avensis make huge mileages.I know a guy who is driving 99 avensis and 1.6 petrol ,said that best fuel efficient car he gets around 54mpg/

newbie13 wrote: »
    i have this car since 3 weeks, insurance company gave it to me as a replacement car. It drinks the petrol. it is 2007 1.6 petrol Avensis.

I reset the trip computer on dashboard. I was in twice in petrol station when the fuel light was on.

First visit 50 litres of petrol for €75.4 euro and second was 26.5 litres of petrol for €40 euro . I can get only make 925km with total trip.

€75.4
    €40
    +_______
    €115,4 <-- Total spend

50 Ltr
    26.5Ltr
    +_______

Result
    12.09 km per litre

What are you comparing it to? What type of journeys did you cover? 34mpg is about average for this class of car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I heard that old shapes of avensis make huge mileages.I know a guy who is driving 99 avensis and 1.6 petrol ,said that best fuel efficient car he gets around 54mpg/

He's telling you porkies

A 1999 Avensis is a totally different car to a 2007 Avensis. They are like chalk n cheese when it comes to running costs.

The 1999 Avensis is a lighter and smaller car and has a different engine to the 2007 one. It is daft to believe that one would have the same mpg as the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

€75.4
    €40
    +_______
    €115,4 <-- Total spend

50 Ltr
    26.5Ltr
    +_______

Result
    12.09 km per litre

Don't dig up old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement