Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any frozen rivers/lakes yet?

• 19-12-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭

Just wondering with the extreme cold weather have any of our major rivers and lakes starting freezing over?

The resevoir here in Roundwood completely froze over last night and the next few nights will just make this thicker. AFAIK, we need some really really cold nights to get the process started on the bigger rivers/lakes.

Oops. Mods, can you move this into the main weather forum?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 KStolen

Just post a picture of the resevoir, then it'll be in the right place!

Also I really want to see the frozen resevoir.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you look at the forum on the IWAI site, they have pics of the freezing rivers and lakes. It doesn't take much for the sheltered parts of the big lakes to freeze over.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

This was the foyle last week as the ice started to break up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Shannon is frozen again

5274999657_e470c4dc7b_b.jpg

lough key

5274983309_25b3cbb76e_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I haven't gotten out there yet but Lough Gur in Limerick is frozen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

RIver Foyle at Lifford. Frozen from bank to bank in parts.5280082813_938f36c3c7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

@Duckysauce: some nice pics there, did you take them yourself?

I "jumped" in to lough key many, many years ago, Dad got a loan of a small cabin cruiser and the fu(ker broke down (the boat, not dad :D ) and we were stuck there for about five days waiting for it to be fixed, brings back happy memories

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I reckon the Broadmeadow estuary is frozen over at Swords, must try for a pic in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭lolie

i might check out lough sheelin in nxt few days. if its not frozen solid this week it never will be

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The lake in Maynooth by the train station is frozen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

At the 12th Lock
    394180529.jpg

394180527.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Posted this in the thread in the main weather forum too. Lower Lough Corrib this morning. Ice about 5-6 inches thick. Swans were congregated at 2 small areas of open water near the river mouth, they are having a hard time of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭waterways

duckysauce wrote: »
    Shannon is frozen again
    5274983309_25b3cbb76e_b.jpg

Hi duckysauce,

when was the pic taken?

I'm astonished that the lake is not completely frozen over as many others today, Lough Ree between Hodson Bay and the Inner Lakes and Derg between Terryglass and Portumna. I've read that Lough Key has underwater springs and current. Is that the reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Christmas morning, the river Inny, Co Longford
    162609_1513237118955_1475226110_2436646_601080_n.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

not a major lake but blackrock park, dublin, which is about 100m or so from the sea has frozen over. there were swans walking around on the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The tidal end of Ballysodare Bay, Sligo (salt water) on Christmas morning

140789.jpg
    140790.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thought my eyes were playing tricks on me in the light when I saw what looked like big sheets of ice flowing under the East Link bridge, but these pics taken from the traffic cams site confirms it. Theres sheets of ice flowing down the Liffey.

140810.jpg

140811.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    Thought my eyes were playing tricks on me in the light when I saw what looked like big sheets of ice flowing under the East Link bridge, but these pics taken from the traffic cams site confirms it. Theres sheets of ice flowing down the Liffey.

Wow - thats amazing. So, these are the conditions required for the liffey to start freezing. 10 days or so of sustained cold. Maybe another week would be needed for an ice fair?! Pity its gonna get milder but we still have one more night of freezing conditions. Wonder if it will be more frozen in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

arctictree wrote: »
    Just wondering with the extreme cold weather have any of our major rivers and lakes starting freezing over?

The resevoir here in Roundwood completely froze over last night and the next few nights will just make this thicker. AFAIK, we need some really really cold nights to get the process started on the bigger rivers/lakes.

Oops. Mods, can you move this into the main weather forum?
    I took a walk to town yesterday and as I was crossing johns bridge the river nore was frozen coudnt believe my eyes pitty I didnt hav my camera or phone with me

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭kindredspirit

Lough Gur Christmas morning.

IMG_5754.jpg

IMG_5749.jpg

IMG_5752.jpg

IMG_5753.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭kindredspirit

Part of our back pond.

IMG_5774.jpg

IMG_5763.jpg

IMG_5764.jpg

IMG_5765.jpg

IMG_5766.jpg

IMG_5767.jpg

IMG_5771.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

arctictree wrote: »
    Wow - thats amazing. So, these are the conditions required for the liffey to start freezing. 10 days or so of sustained cold. Maybe another week would be needed for an ice fair?! Pity its gonna get milder but we still have one more night of freezing conditions. Wonder if it will be more frozen in the morning?

Yes, it taken a lot of weeks to get to this point. My local river was beginning to freeze over yesterday morning, another few nights is all it would have taken I reckon for it to freeze completely. My brother was telling me his local river is completely frozen and its reasonably large.

took a stroll on lough sheelin earlier, 6 inch ice

140819.JPG

140820.JPG

140821.JPG

140822.JPG

140823.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

n ice lolie;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Frozen canal Killaloe, co clare

freeze1h.jpg

freeze2e.jpg

few more from lough sheelin yesterday, few smudges on the lens but

crover hotel in background
    140923.JPG

small crack
    140924.JPG

brother throwin stones
    140925.JPG

sunset
    140926.JPG

more sunset
    140927.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Id be worried if I say a crack while in the middle of a lake!

Lough Owel, Westmeath, Christmas morning
    163796_1454115126931_1654898104_1025093_7224411_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

christmas day, lough derg, killaloe

freeze4.jpg

freeze3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I was at Lough Owel on Christmas day too. Some sight :)

2jdo16o.jpg
    2ywwqxu.jpg
    bjc26t.jpg
    nbye13.jpg
    25z1dhd.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

The tidal part of the slaney was nicely frozen over on christmas day, i dont have any pics but there is a nice one on flikr from somebody.

Advertisement