Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I think that a friend of mine is gay

Options
  • 30-09-2002 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

and i have no idea how to deal with the situation if he came out.

you might say, it has nothing to do with me, but ive known him for a few years and hes a good friend. and i'd prefer to know how to deal with it if it came up.

i have no notion of approaching him about it as that would be the quickest way to lose a friend if they were'nt gay.
    But are there any signs that i should look out for?

dont even bother with the stereotypical signs, because hes anything but typical.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

why dont you stop worrying about what you want ad worry about what your friend wants?

if he comes out, then fine, if he doesnt respect it. besides, you could be completely wrong.
    havent you got anything better to be doing than worrying about other peoples sexuality anyway. does it really matter who he fúcks?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

what's to deal with?
    so what if he is, do you intend to treat him different or something?
    never assume anything about anyone until they tell you to, just 'cos you think he is, doesn't mean he is. Why make hassle for yourself and him where there is none, there are enough things in life to worry about without wondering about 'what if'....
    and.....
    if he is, you deal with it by saying 'cool' and carry on as before.

wwm - gentle as ever I see.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Kill him.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

have no idea how to deal with the situation if he came out.

There's nothing /to/ deal with. If you think you already know, when he tells you, you say "yeah I know, it's cool" and then continue as normal.

What's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

You know, just when I thought I'd worked out Merc, off he goes and finds yet another cache of extraordinarily powerful drugs....

Er, he does have a point buried in all that somewhere though. The knowledge that your friend is gay shouldn't change anything about the dynamic of your relationship, and if you try and tread on eggshells around him or ponder every word you say, you'll only end up insulting him and growing apart from him because you're not comfortable with him any more.

Nobody's died. He hasn't got a fatal disease that gives him six months to live. He just fancies having sex with other blokes (you probably NOT included, sunshine :) ) - no big deal. Nothing changes, you just carry on as normal, slag him off as a friend same way you always would, do the same things you always would... And if he ever tells you that some bloke you walk past is gorgeous, you're still entirely entitled to scream "TOO MUCH INFORMATION" at him :)

Don't ever go for a piss in the pub at the same time. He's bound to try and **** you in the ass.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally posted by logic1:

Don't ever go for a piss in the pub at the same time. He's bound to try and **** you in the ass
    Speaking from personal experience logic ;)?

Anyway, I'll just say "what he said" and agree with the previous posters (well, maybe not logic). Just be cool, don't act like it's a big deal and try to be supportive if he asks.

Also, I wonder on what basis you deem him to be a possible homosexual. I know some people who are quite camp and yet are completely heterosexual and others who are straight acting who are in actuality about as straight as a roundabout. If he got drunk one night and snogged another man then yeah that's a pretty good indication but unless it was something obvious like that I'd be careful before speculating too much as to his sexuality. If he's likely to be gay because he's not "typical" then I think half the boards population is likely to be gay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

D'oh, that was me above. Goddamit, I never make the mistake of posting unregistered (usually) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by swiss
    D'oh, that was me above. Goddamit, I never make the mistake of posting unregistered (usually) :o

do i make you horny baby?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Shinji

The knowledge that your friend is gay shouldn't change anything about the dynamic of your relationship, and if you try and tread on eggshells around him or ponder every word you say, you'll only end up insulting him and growing apart from him because you're not comfortable with him any more.

Absolutely agree here, carry on as normal, keep making the same jokes etc. A friend of mine said that that was when he knew I was ok, when I kept on with the same ol slagging.

And of course hit them for drinks to cope with 'the shock'

:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Unregistered

Like the others say, you go "Ok, cool" and get on with life. They don't do a support pack or handouts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭goose

I wouldnt recomend confronting him about it.

For some people it takes time, firstly to come to terms with being Gay, then to decide to tell mates.

remember it took me ages to get round to finally telling all my close college mates. then chinese whispers took over.

If someone had confronted me about my sexuality before i had become comfortable with it, i would have run a million miles scared.

Just be cool about it when he does decide to tell you. And maybe one or two very subtle hints that you would be cool about it if he did decide to tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

And your friend being gay is relevant to your life how?
    Exactly.

If he hits on you and you aren't receptive then perhaps it's relevant when you say 'sorry I'm striaght' else is whinging and or borderline homophobia.

Originally posted by Typedef
    And your friend being gay is relevant to your life how?

Yeah Typedef being gay has never hurt anybody. Good for you Typey.

P.S. Swiss is only looking for contact details.. although he is quite the catch.

.logic.

Originally posted by logic1:

Swiss is only looking for contact details.. although he is quite the catch
    Oh no, logic has found me out. Give me the details, I'll tell you whether he's gay or not ;)

Anyway, to prevent this thread degenerating into the spam that marked the last thread of this nature here, I'd like to point out that Typedef is correct (and I agree with him for once) when he says that the issue of his sexuality does not really concern you unless you think he's attracted to you or unless you're attracted to him (you haven't told us whether you're male/female or gay/straight).

Obviously he's your friend but unless you're concerned that the issue of his sexality is bothering him (if he's acting strangely, dropping clues etc) then I'm sorry to say that it's not really your place to force the issue. Just stay kewl, be there for him (if he needs you and/or you're comfortable with that) and remember that no matter who he fancies, he's still the same bloke you always knew.

Best of luck with that anyway. (WWM, you tease ;) )

be there for him if he needs you

Haha e.g. bend over.

.logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Unregggie, you sound quite young, like early teens.

I think when we were all quite young we considered what we would do if one of our friends turned out to be gay.

All this stuff is good advice.

You don't have to do anything; trust me - if he turns out to be gay the novelty of having your first gay friend will wear off in a matter of hours. It's a non-issue. Just be his friend and contain your curiosity until he approaches you.

Mercury Tilt your post made me laugh my ass off. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Maybe unreggie is one of my friends if neuro-praxis' assumption is correct :p ...

Anyway, speaking from a gay perspective - the best reaction I could expect from a friend would be a simple sentence or two... something along the lines of:

"Well, if you need anyone to talk to, I'm always here for ya." Corny, eh? Or there's just the easier "Cool!" approach.

A few tips on what not to do as such:

Don't act patronising towards him.
    Don't avoid eye contact or make him feel isolated in any way

Hope that helps unregistered!

- Noel

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well gay guys can be very cool about the whole thing and not even care about it.

I know this gay guy in work, he knows i know he is gay but he has never told me so as a result its a little taboo.

But i still make gay jibes and take the piss out of him every time he peals the skin back of his sausages at breakfeast and he laughs along with the rest. And this guy is fairly oldish! well in his 40`s anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

haha I pegged swiss for being camp after meeting him a few times...

does a friend being gay make any difference?....oh yeah....i gave swiss great stick about! ;)

i gave swiss great stick about
    Just to re-emphasise, there is no, repeat NO sexual innuendo in this post whatsoever. Shut up logic. Yes I know you haven't said anything about this yet, it doesn't matter :p.

I know I can be mildy camp at times, varying commensurately with the amount of alcohol I've consumed. Camp is a stereotype, and an imperfect one at that, and as the orignal poster stated that his friend is anything but stereotypical, this highlights (in a way) this point.
    Originally posted by goose:

If someone had confronted me about my sexuality before i had become comfortable with it, i would have run a million miles scared.
    Blanket denial worked for me. Seriously, it's an emotive issue, and not one you want to force unless you put it very tactfully and you feel that the time is right.
    Just be cool about it when he does decide to tell you. And maybe one or two very subtle hints that you would be cool about it if he did decide to tell you.
    <scheming mode>
    Hmm, that's an idea. Perhaps strike up a conversation involving a mutual friend who is gay and drop a few subtle hints as to your coolness with the whole gay thing (while making it clear you're straight - if indeed you are :D)
    </scheming mode>

Just to re-emphasise, there is no, repeat NO sexual innuendo in this post whatsoever. Shut up logic. Yes I know you haven't said anything about this yet, it doesn't matter :p.

Haha he said he gives you great... oh.. alright I see.. pre-emptive strike eh.. well fine by me.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

Originally posted by logic1
    Kill him.

.logic.

lmfao, hahahaha, fu<king classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

J
    I know I can be mildy camp at times

sorry mildly camp!?!??!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Buy yourself a can of "Gay-be-gone" and spray him next time you see him, or as logic said, kill him. Either way, you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Originally posted by Mercury_Tilt
    Did someone fart?

Eh.... yes! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

he was referring to your bonefied brain fart :cool:

Advertisement