Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smoking at DART stations

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I doubt if they would like to inhale the stench your urine, particularly when it's so full of hatred, prejudice and bile.
    I'm not 100% sure but you can only get bile in faeces, not urine.
    I wasn't the one that brought the urine analogy into the thread, you did!
    No, I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Since the smoking ban, I've found the following to be true:

- European country with the highest life expectancy? Spain. European country with highest number of smokers per capita? Spain.

- If the Government really cared about the Nation's heath then we wouldn't have had 300+ people in Trollies in A&E units as was the case last week.

- Non-smokers will have to plug the €500million tax shortfall in Customs & Excise duties in the fiscal year 2004

- Smokers die younger and are less of a drain on the pensions system (the arguement about smokers costing the heathcare system more is mute, non-smokers develop health problems in later life too, and believe it or not, are not immortal)

- The national average for people dying in nighttime housefires started by a lighted cigarette is up by 18 in 2004 (source: National Safety Council)

- We are becoming very tetchy and rule-orientated as a nation

- Unhappy people will always seek to share their misery

- Intolerance kills more people than tolerance

- Arguing with a health nazi is pointless, stressfull and bad for your health

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

- European country with the highest life expectancy? Spain.
    Wrong. Spain is 11th in European life expectancy rankings
    - European country with highest number of smokers per capita? Spain.
    Wrong - Spain doesn't make the Top 15 list of daily smokers by country

Unless of course you have more up to date data you'd like to show?
    - Non-smokers will have to plug the €500million tax shortfall in Customs & Excise duties in the fiscal year 2004

- Smokers die younger and are less of a drain on the pensions system (the arguement about smokers costing the heathcare system more is mute, non-smokers develop health problems in later life too, and believe it or not, are not immortal)
    Wrong. The shortfall in excise taxes will be more than outweighed by the savings in health care expenditure in the long term.
    - We are becoming very tetchy and rule-orientated as a nation

- Unhappy people will always seek to share their misery

- Intolerance kills more people than tolerance
    Bull. Pure Bull.

RainyDay wrote:
    Bull. Pure Bull.
    True, France was the country I meant. I was booking a Spainish holiday on line this morning, so I think I can be forgiven!

The stats you mentioned make my case - France is the 8th highest for life expectancy out of 47 countries listed and 3rd highest on the table of for smokers per capita.

Curiously, both Italy and Spain aren't on your smoking stats. They surely must be in the top 10 somewhere? I can't believe Sweden has more smokers than either country, and Sweden is in 4th place for life expectancy out of the 47 countries?!?

As for the savings in heathcare in the long term, are you on drugs?!?

All of us, whether smoker or not, will (hopefully!) get old and will require the same intensive levels of healthcare in the last years of our lives.

If anything non-smokers cost the state more in healthcare and pensions. Think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are, of course, many more factors that influence life expectancy than whether you smoke or not. For instance, the Spanish, Italians and mediterranean types in general have a much healthier diet than we do ... it's the Olive Oil and fish in their diet that do this, so whilst maybe more of them die from smoking related illnesses, fewer will die from heart attacks. Swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

True, France was the country I meant. I was booking a Spainish holiday on line this morning, so I think I can be forgiven!
    Or maybe you are merely parroting something said on Politics recently?
    If anything non-smokers cost the state more in healthcare and pensions. Think about it!
    Perhaps, but the non-smokers also contribute more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

We are becoming very tetchy and rule-orientated as a nation
    What kind of rules are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭SeanW

Because we live in a free democracy, last time I checked, and not a fascist state.

Incidentally, Churchill and Roosevelt were both smokers.

Hilter was a fanatical anti-smoker.

So, remind me again, who won the war?

Hitler ... Interesting how you should bring that up because the person who started this debate on this thread (Eriguena) I looked over his/her post history and most of it is Jew bashing and Holocaust Denial in the skeptics forum. Maybe you should take this debate over there too.

The stats you mentioned make my case - France is the 8th highest for life expectancy out of 47 countries listed and 3rd highest on the table of for smokers per capita.

Curiously, both Italy and Spain aren't on your smoking stats. They surely must be in the top 10 somewhere? I can't believe Sweden has more smokers than either country, and Sweden is in 4th place for life expectancy out of the 47 countries?!?
    Ok then - I fully and absolutely believe that you were really thinking about France when you posted this morning (even though France doesn't have the highest life expectancy in Europe and doesn't have the highest number of smokers in Europe). It all makes sense now.
    As for the savings in heathcare in the long term, are you on drugs?!?

All of us, whether smoker or not, will (hopefully!) get old and will require the same intensive levels of healthcare in the last years of our lives.

You are ignoring the huge costs of treating cancers in the relatively young, the loss of productivity due to additonal illnesses, the loss of productivity due to early death. Just like your spurious Spanish arguement, you don't get to make up facts round here. If you believe smokers save the state money, please refer to a reputable paper or publication to support your view.

RainyDay wrote:
    You are ignoring the huge costs of treating cancers in the relatively young, the loss of productivity due to additonal illnesses, the loss of productivity due to early death. Just like your spurious Spanish arguement, you don't get to make up facts round here. If you believe smokers save the state money, please refer to a reputable paper or publication to support your view.
    Ditto.

• Advertisement

Ditto.
    So after being caught making up facts about Spain, you expect me to go googling again to disprove your rubbish about smokers saving the economy money? I really don't know why I bother - but I do. Here's the figures showing that smokers are a net cost to the economy, and even their early deaths won't save money for the rest of us. Let's just ignore the ethics of the tobacco manufacturers claiming that early death is a benefit for the moment. They conveniently ignored the fact that funds spent on cigarettes today would (for the most part), be switched to be spent on other items which would (for the most part) be taxed and would result in increased tax take on other items. Funny how that key point just slipped their mind, ain't it.

Advertisement