Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Years Eve Weddings

• 24-01-2020 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just looking for your thoughts on New Years Eve Weddings as it came up in conversation recently & also where someone on here was testing the waters for a St. Stephens day wedding.

I'm of the opinion that there are certain days across the 365 days in any given calendar year that people look forward to making plans around and celebrating on their own terms.

New Years Eve would be a big one for a lot of people surely when they'll want to be making plans for weekends away, hotel breaks and whatever else.

Isn't it a bit selfish and self-absorbed to send out invitations to a few hundred people saying cancel your own New Years Eve plans, we're getting married that day?

Bearing in mind also that in a typical couple there's often one party totally unconnected to anyone involved and but still has to attend with their partner and soldier on through a very long morning, afternoon, evening and night.

- Finally what days would you consider to be off-limits? St. Stephens day for me would be a huge no way call as its so intrusive on everyone's family Christmas break and so on.

Just curious as to what the general consensus is here as apparently this trend is getting more and more common :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Isn't it a bit selfish and self-absorbed to send out invitations to a few hundred people saying cancel your own New Years Eve plans, we're getting married that day?

I wouldn't go that far, but I wouldn't be a fan of a New Years Eve Wedding myself. Same for any days around the Christmas period.

I know that with so many people living abroad it can make sense as a lot of people come home at that time of year anyway. But it's already a hugely expensive and stressful time of year, that it would feel like a massive burden to me.

The OH was invited to a stag abroad around that time of year before. Apparently the logic was "well if people are flying home to Dublin anyway, why not come to Prague for a few days". Needless to say, the people who were travelling home for Christmas were not impressed at the idea of having to up and leave their families who they rarely get to see for a few days!! And it was very unfair on the wives/girlfriends from abroad who were expected to stay in Ireland with the husbands/boyfriends families on their own for a few days - I think a few opted out of the stag for that reason alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

NYE is a great idea - usually sit in and watch rubbish on the TV so a wedding would be great IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Mango Joe wrote:

I love a NYE wedding. It beats a house party or freezing your ass off trying to get a cab that's just never coming

I love a NYE wedding. It beats a house party or freezing your ass off trying to get a cab that's just never coming

Yes Id have to agree with this, it beats being in an overcrowded pub, I would like to go to a wedding on New Years Eve for a change, it would be something different to do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I love NYE wedings, I've been to two and both were great!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

Depends who is getting married. If it's a mate then I can think of no better way than to spend new years. However if it's some cousin of my other half then nope, no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭threetrees

NYE weddings are fine, but don't go making them black tie events!

The dancing is in full swing, then it gets a bit boring, so having the New Year shenanigans brings back the party spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

I have volunteered to work on NYE 3 years out of the last 4 because I generally find it's rubbish. A wedding would be a nice alternative way to spend it IMO.

one of the best NYE I spent was at a wedding.
    I think most people just find NYE to be a big anti-climax.
    lots of family & friends together at a wedding is the best kind of NYE for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maconof

Attended a NYE wedding this year, enjoyed it and would welcome another one. Was something a bit different and good craic too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

New Years Eve is a pile of shíte, wouldn't mind a wedding on that date.

A wedding a few days either side of Christmas is far worse IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Mango Joe wrote: »

It's bit selfish if they send out the invites on the 21st of December.

But who makes plans for New Years as far in advance of when you'd realistically be getting an invite anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

We've been to 2 NYE weddings and they were great fun. We don't usually do much on NYE so it was a nice alternative. Also hairdressers and beauty salons are usually open on NYE so I don't the hassle of doing it myself. A St Stephen's day wedding wouldn't interest me as much. That's very much a family day for us. And I'd never get a hairdressers or beauty salon open that day. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭GhostofKNugget

When I was a childless young whippersnapper, a NYE wedding would have been grand but these days Christmas is all about my family and having to go to a wedding over the festive period is a pain in the hole. I'd honestly rather spend my hard earned money on my wife and kids and their presents than have to squirrel away a load of money for a wedding the week after Christmas - it doesn't matter who it is or how close they are to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Or...

You could say its actually considerate of them to hold it at a time where people aren't under pressure to get annual leave, where friends/family based abroad can easily attend.

Lets be honest very few people actually have better things to be doing on new years anyway, than just going for a bog-standard night on the town where places are packed, taxis are scarce - a wedding is a great alternative way to spend the evening/night

Love the idea of an NYE wedding myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Effects wrote: »
    It's bit selfish if they send out the invites on the 21st of December.

But who makes plans for New Years as far in advance of when you'd realistically be getting an invite anyway?

But it's not the clash of plans that people are citing as a potential issue, its scheduling a very notable day for your wedding which people really do look forward to making their own plans on and a lot of people resent this because they feel you're taking that opportunity away from them.

This is despite the fact that a wedding could be scheduled on any other day of the year.

Is that not being a bit narcissistic? Like "oh dahling, its all about me and my special day"?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

But it's not the clash of plans that people are citing as a potential issue, its scheduling a very notable day for your wedding which people really do look forward to making their own plans on and a lot of people resent this because they feel you're taking that opportunity away from them.

This is despite the fact that a wedding could be scheduled on any other day of the year.

Is that not being a bit narcissistic? Like "oh dahling, its all about me and my special day"?!

Do they really though?

The majority of my own friends and acquaintances from a multitude of different backgrounds cannot stand NYE and see it as a pure nuisance.

I can honestly think of no-one who actually looks forward to it as a pure milestone night out or anything like that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Even though I wouldn't be keen on a NYE wedding, it's because the general time of year, not because of the day itself - does anyone really consider it a notable day?

I hate going out on NYE. I don't know any/many people that really look forward. I highly doubt anyone feels that an opportunity is taken away from them. It's more about the expense and time of year - nothing wrong with the date itself. It could be the night before or after New Years Eve and I still wouldn't be keen to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

Mango Joe wrote:

That's just weddings in general, hardly exclusive to NYE!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've come through the wedding phase of the social circle so we've gone from 2-3 weddings a year down to none that I can think of in the last couple (although a handful of turned down invites) so I can say my disdain for weddings has somewhat evaporated and I'd probably look forward to an auld knees up.

New years on the other hand is a load of wombling c0ck. If not for Jools I'd be in bed for 10. With the growing family, the whole xmas period is a much quieter and less rambunctious affair.

I would be all about a NYE wedding tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've been to one NYE wedding and it was good fun. A good night to have it as most people are not too fussed about new years eve (regardless of what others in the thread have said, I don't know a single person who gets excited about NYE) but are happy to have a reason to be out dancing and drinking in nice, uncrowded surroundings with friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

An NYE wedding would be great if you allowed people to bring their kids. It would be selfish to expect people in the 5-15 age bracket to attend an NYE wedding without their kids so either invite kids or make it clear that not turning up is perfectly understandable.
    Also take into account that taxis and hotels aver very difficult to get so make some arrangements and send invites very early. Many hotels are booked up from summer onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Don’t mind what day it’s on, once I’m not expected to go!

endacl wrote: »
    Don’t mind what day it’s on, once I’m not expected to go!

I'd say you're great craic at part......eh, nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

When I was a childless young whippersnapper, a NYE wedding would have been grand but these days Christmas is all about my family and having to go to a wedding over the festive period is a pain in the hole. I'd honestly rather spend my hard earned money on my wife and kids and their presents than have to squirrel away a load of money for a wedding the week after Christmas - it doesn't matter who it is or how close they are to me.

Same. NYE isn't a special night for us but any wedding over Christmas is always a pain in terms of getting babysitting. The last Christmas wedding we went to was honestly not worth all the hassle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

As has been covered, I’d love to go to a wedding on NYE. I hate going out on NYE because it’s too busy and impossible to get home, but I’d love to celebrate it at a wedding where I’d be staying at the hotel as well. It would be a total win-win for me.

Its scheduling a very notable day for your wedding which people really do look forward to making their own plans on

NYE is usually pretty overrated as a night out though, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The expense involved in a Christmas wedding would put me off.

eviltwin wrote: »
    The expense involved in a Christmas wedding would put me off.

Is it that much different to any other wedding?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Effects wrote: »
    Is it that much different to any other wedding?

Well Christmas is an expensive time of year. It's one thing if you know about it months in advance and can plan your finances around it but getting an invite through the door in November would throw me out completely.

Advertisement