Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cocaine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Big Gerry wrote: »
    The UK is one of the biggest producers of legal cocaine.

No one is getting killed in the legal market for cocaine.

https://www.businessinsider.com/britain-is-the-worlds-biggest-exporter-of-legal-cocaine-and-heroin-2018-4?r=US&IR=T

The medical form of cocaine has uses, nobody is saying it doesn't. It's used in a specific way, to treat or assist medically trained personnel. It has its advantages and disadvantages, other synthetic aesthetics are beginning to replace it except for certain ENT situations.

That cocaine is not being used for people to get high. It is a world away from what recreational cocaine use looks like. It is being used ethically and responsibly. What pharmaceutical company is going to produce psychoactive cocaine so we can knock away 10 grams in a weekend?

That mention of the 2018 Vice article on coke hospitalisations half way down the page you linked is interesting: VICE analysis of hospital data has revealed the number of in-patients with a primary diagnosis of "mental and behavioural disorders due to use of cocaine" has risen by more than 90 percent in the last four years."

How is decriminalisation going to prevent or solve people coming down with psychosis or toxicity problems at A&E across the country if they could freely do it? In countries like Colombia, coke is decriminalised to an extent - possession under certain amounts is legal. It is cheaper for a gram than a pack of cigarettes there. Yet crack cocaine use is a massive problem there, and in fact its cheaper to buy than coke.

The past few days I keep reading opinions and arguments by campaigners, specifically citing the Iron Law of Prohibition - that as law enforcement and anti-narcotic regulation becomes more intense, so too does the potency of the prohibited substance. Make alcohol illegal? You get moonshine. And yet even when coke is cheap, somewhat legal and easily available like Colombia, there will be a percentage of users who go for the strongest hit available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    The medical form of cocaine has uses, nobody is saying it doesn't. It's used in a specific way, to treat or assist medically trained personnel. It has its advantages and disadvantages, other synthetic aesthetics are beginning to replace it except for certain ENT situations.

That cocaine is not being used for people to get high. It is a world away from what recreational cocaine use looks like. It is being used ethically and responsibly. What pharmaceutical company is going to produce psychoactive cocaine so we can knock away 10 grams in a weekend?

But people are using diamorphine under medical supervision to get very high. I was given morphine in hospital before and was as high as I've ever been on any substance.

tuxy wrote: »
    But people are using diamorphine under medical supervision to get very high. I was given morphine in hospital before and was as high as I've ever been on any substance.

Were you administered the substance and then let drive home to go about your day?

Were you administered the substance and then let drive home to go about your day?

I'm sure I could have escaped if I wanted there was no security on the doors.
    Even though I was really out of it my driving would probably have been better than if I was drunk on alcohol.

I'm sure I could have escaped if I wanted there was no security on the doors.
    Even though I was really out of it my driving would probably have been better than if I was drunk on alcohol.

tenor.gif

• Advertisement

tenor.gif

I don't think anyone is doubting you when you say it's possible and also dangerous to drive on an intoxicating substance be itit's alcohol, cannabis, cocaine, opiates, benzodiaphones. This is why the Garda have the ability to do roadside tests for these substances.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

That mention of the 2018 Vice article on coke hospitalisations half way down the page you linked is interesting: VICE analysis of hospital data has revealed the number of in-patients with a primary diagnosis of "mental and behavioural disorders due to use of cocaine" has risen by more than 90 percent in the last four years."

How is decriminalisation going to prevent or solve people coming down with psychosis or toxicity problems at A&E across the country if they could freely do it? In countries like Colombia, coke is decriminalised to an extent - possession under certain amounts is legal. It is cheaper for a gram than a pack of cigarettes there. Yet crack cocaine use is a massive problem there, and in fact its cheaper to buy than coke.

The past few days I keep reading opinions and arguments by campaigners, specifically citing the Iron Law of Prohibition - that as law enforcement and anti-narcotic regulation becomes more intense, so too does the potency of the prohibited substance. Make alcohol illegal? You get moonshine. And yet even when coke is cheap, somewhat legal and easily available like Colombia, there will be a percentage of users who go for the strongest hit available.

Once it was legal you would have no shortage of companies wanting to make it.

I'm no expert on cocaine but as I understand it pharmaceutical grade cocaine is far safer than street cocaine.

The rolling stones used a lot of pharmaceutical grade cocaine in the 70s and that doesn't seem to have done them any harm.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zinamoukheiber/2010/12/24/merck-cocaine-behind-some-of-those-fabulous-rolling-stones-songs/#6b25a4ad3296

“Pharmaceutical cocaine cannot be compared in any way to cocaine produced in Central or South America. It is pure, does not bring on depression or lethargy. A totally different type of euphoria, one of creativity, exists immediately when it is absorbed by the central nervous system. There are absolutely no withdrawal symptoms.”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

Same as that, n when the missus was in labour they stuck some fluid drip in her back that had fentanyl in it!
    Best coke I ever had was in a bar in Peru, the barman would throw out free grams to keep everyone boozing away! And we all did keep boozing away!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’m sorry but what do you mean cocaine is being used ethically and responsibly for medical use and the opposite when being used for recreational use? I have not and will not ever take heroin or cocaine or any of those hard drugs but there really is no difference from an ethical or responsible use perspective then smoking or alcohol or illegal drugs.

In fact I would suggest that there is a very strong possibility that second hand smoke does more damage to people around the smoker then anything the majority of recreational drug users do to the average joe. It’s just smoking has been normalized and accepted as an ok vice to use and abuse.

In terms of that Vice report, what would a comparable report in Switzerland or Portugal say about how cocaine affects the mental and behavioural issues their supported addicts suffer? You can’t pick one report in isolation without a comparable report from a country that has chosen to treat drug issues differently.

If I take drugs for any reason are my mental and behavioral response to my taking that drug gonna be more positive if -

A) I am a criminal automaticity if I buy or use or even have drugs on my possession? If I am caught I could goto jail, Won’t get much support , will be branded a criminal, probably branded “scum” (or something else like that). Will only be able to source my drugs illegally which also means there is no regulation on the drugs I will buy that could lead to more medical complications and death. Also makes it hard for me to know the strength of the product I’m buying so I could take way more then I should. What are my job prospects or even my chances of getting back into a society that’s written me off?

Or

B) I can actually get a prescription from a doctor and get regulated drugs in a supervised setting, particularly if I am an addict. Will get support from the state and it’s considered a success in society if you can lead a productive life regardless of whether you are taking the drugs or not once you abide by all laws and do not hurt or harm anybody.

Which of those do you think it’s likely to lead to less mental , behavioral and health issues for people? This is part of the point many of us are saying, the system currently makes a bad situation even worse for those taking these drugs.

I’m not sure there is one golden perfect silver bullet way of dealing with drug issues but the majority of the issues we have today are not helped by how we address the problem. There’s a lot of evidence to suggest that it’s making things far worse and creating far more victims (crime and police etc) then needs be.

If legalising drugs would make things a lot worse we would have undeniable evidence from countries who have legalised drugs while bringing in support measures. Would it be fair to say Columbia addicts probably don’t have the same sort of supports provided to Portuguese and Swiss addicts? I read a story of a Swiss heroin addict who gets his heroin in a clinic and goes off to work.

I really think the public’s complete lack of understanding of this subject is the major reason we persist with failed laws on drugs. There is actually no real reasonable defence of the status quo response to drugs just a concern that changing things will not work out. But even on any level , the system we have now is failed and failing. It’s not achieving an awful lot of positive things that can justify such an aggressive way that actually causes more violence and deaths then needs be.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m sorry but what do you mean cocaine is being used ethically and responsibly for medical use and the opposite when being used for recreational use? I have not and will not ever take heroin or cocaine or any of those hard drugs but there really is no difference from an ethical or responsible use perspective then smoking or alcohol or illegal drugs.

There is a huge difference. Is the doctor going to give a patient a prescription (which is very rarely nowadays) for medical cocaine and say, yeah, fire into 2-3 grams of that this weekend within a short time span, you'll be grand. Try not to drink too much in case you produce cocaethylene in your system and damage your heart. Or possibly damage your kidneys. Or ruin your nose.

There is a vast difference between ethical and responsible use of medical cocaine and how it is deployed by trained professionals versus the average person taking it to have fun. In one case, it is used to treat. In another, it is used to have fun without the knowledge of how it will effect your body short-term/long-term or ignoring it. Medical cocaine is not given as a psychoactive substance - though inevitably there will be effects felt in the system.
    In fact I would suggest that there is a very strong possibility that second hand smoke does more damage to people around the smoker then anything the majority of recreational drug users do to the average joe. It’s just smoking has been normalized and accepted as an ok vice to use and abuse.

I'm not arguing this, smoking is terrible and I would say 99.9% of medical professionals agree.
    In terms of that Vice report, what would a comparable report in Switzerland or Portugal say about how cocaine affects the mental and behavioural issues their supported addicts suffer? You can’t pick one report in isolation without a comparable report from a country that has chosen to treat drug issues differently.

Great question. Where is such a study? I've had a look myself for such information. Either the studies have yet to take place, a long enough time span hasn't passed to collect the data, or it's underway and unfinished. It's all very well to point out the latter btw without actually having a look yourself. If you have any data I'd gladly look at it.
    If I take drugs for any reason are my mental and behavioral response to my taking that drug gonna be more positive if -

A) I am a criminal automaticity if I buy or use or even have drugs on my possession? If I am caught I could goto jail, Won’t get much support , will be branded a criminal, probably branded “scum” (or something else like that). Will only be able to source my drugs illegally which also means there is no regulation on the drugs I will buy that could lead to more medical complications and death. Also makes it hard for me to know the strength of the product I’m buying so I could take way more then I should. What are my job prospects or even my chances of getting back into a society that’s written me off?

Or

B) I can actually get a prescription from a doctor and get regulated drugs in a supervised setting, particularly if I am an addict. Will get support from the state and it’s considered a success in society if you can lead a productive life regardless of whether you are taking the drugs or not once you abide by all laws and do not hurt or harm anybody.

What your advocating is for the creation of addicts.

Which of those do you think it’s likely to lead to less mental , behavioral and health issues for people? This is part of the point many of us are saying, the system currently makes a bad situation even worse for those taking these drugs.

Why is the drug user sacrosanct in all of this?

It's been already stated here before - there is a very specific strategy that has yet to be pursued by police and the judiciary in this country which would bring an end to the drug crisis in this country - go after the user.

There's some kind of collective naivete amongst drug users and campaigners that they have the right of the market (supply/demand) to have drugs. No, they don't.

As long as there is a market for cocaine, you will have gang violence, you will have the importation of guns with every drug shipment, you will have gangs battling each other trying to dominate the market and innocent people being gunned down when they get in the crossfire.

Legalise it, someone pays to subsidise the service, the drugs, the addiction therapy and counselling, the rehab, just so they can continue to indulge themselves?

Countless times I read in the newspapers individuals being caught with drugs - large quantities- and who plead in court - I owed someone money, I was an addict, and somehow judges take this as a defence and take it into consideration. Users or dealers need to know, if you are caught with illegal class A drugs, it's 5 years imprisonment or massive fine.

This is what needs to happen immediately in order to take the oxygen out of the fire of the current drug crisis. What your advocating is a crutch that turns into addiction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

There's some kind of collective naivete amongst drug users and campaigners that they have the right of the market (supply/demand) to have drugs. No, they don't.

There is and there isn't, i wouldn't call it naivete so much as realism or pragmatism.

We've had what, a century of prohibition? Maybe 50 years of a full on hardcore "war on drugs" It's absolutely clear that the war has been won and won decisively.....by drugs. It's time to negotiate some form of peace settlement and get on with things!

It's the dictionary definition of madness to keep doing the same thing in the hope of a different outcome.

People may not have any "right" to take drugs, but overwhelming evidence suggests it's going to happen regardless of legality, health concerns, gang crime, or open warfare in producing countries. For right or wrong the demand is there, it's universal and it is not showing any signs of abatement. Better to deal with it than stick our heads in the sand.

Legalise it, someone pays to subsidise the service, the drugs, the addiction therapy and counselling, the rehab, just so they can continue to indulge themselves?

Kinda like alcohol + tobacco you mean?

There's a cost for everything in life. I've never been a smoker for example, but my tax payments go towards treating a ridiculous amount of them when they've destroyed their bodies just because they wanted to continue to indulge themselves. Such is life sometimes.

I think we can all see how idiotic and ultimately futile a "war on tobacco" would be though. Can't we?

There is a huge difference. Is the doctor going to give a patient a prescription (which is very rarely nowadays) for medical cocaine and say, yeah, fire into 2-3 grams of that this weekend within a short time span, you'll be grand. Try not to drink too much in case you produce cocaethylene in your system and damage your heart. Or possibly damage your kidneys. Or ruin your nose.

There is a vast difference between ethical and responsible use of medical cocaine and how it is deployed by trained professionals versus the average person taking it to have fun. In one case, it is used to treat. In another, it is used to have fun without the knowledge of how it will effect your body short-term/long-term or ignoring it. Medical cocaine is not given as a psychoactive substance - though inevitably there will be effects felt in the system.

This has no meaning/relevance in this topic whatsoever, this is just a subjective viewpoint on something . However it does go back to a point I made that some people seem to think that this is about good/bad people on one level. You abuse drugs "you are morally corrupt", which is such a regressive attitude to addiction and even people who dont use drugs responsibly. All this does it marginalize and isolate people who use drugs and maybe makes people who dont take drugs feel a bit better/smug about themselves.

Why is this an ethical question ? So a person that drinks or eats or smokes or even works themselves to death (or health issues) is of a higher moral fiber because society has arbitrarily deemed that some things are illegal/legal ? That is a extremely flawed stance to take which not only doesn't help but really is a "well I dont do drugs so I am a good person" kind of logic. This seems to happen alot where people who dont engage in something take some pleasure in having a pious stance simply because it suits them, not because its objectively sound reasoning
    I'm not arguing this, smoking is terrible and I would say 99.9% of medical professionals agree.

So if we take your "ethically responsible" approach to using drugs, you think every smoker in the world is ethically irresponsible ? Which in turn makes every country and every person in it "ethically irresponsible" for allowing the legalization of tobacco to continue ? Whats the difference between tobacco killing and effecting people to cocaine/Heroin?
    Great question. Where is such a study? I've had a look myself for such information. Either the studies have yet to take place, a long enough time span hasn't passed to collect the data, or it's underway and unfinished. It's all very well to point out the latter btw without actually having a look yourself. If you have any data I'd gladly look at it.

I think thats a bit of a disingenuous statement to make, there are plenty of studies and information out there about countries who have taken different approaches. A simple google check would you find you:

http://www.drugpolicy.org/resource/drug-decriminalization-portugal-learning-health-and-human-centered-approach

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-swiss-drugs/swiss-drug-policy-should-serve-as-model-experts-idUSTRE69O3VI20101025

https://www.thenation.com/article/switzerland-addiction-prescribed-heroin/

There is alot more information about this easily available online if you are prepared to accept that there are benefits to alternatives then what we currently have in terms of addressing drugs.
    Why is the drug user sacrosanct in all of this?

It's been already stated here before - there is a very specific strategy that has yet to be pursued by police and the judiciary in this country which would bring an end to the drug crisis in this country - go after the user.

There's some kind of collective naivete amongst drug users and campaigners that they have the right of the market (supply/demand) to have drugs. No, they don't. .

There is no "bringing an end to this drug crisis", how do you not see that? How do you not see that our laws create alot if not most of the problems we see today, especially the violence.
    As long as there is a market for cocaine, you will have gang violence, you will have the importation of guns with every drug shipment, you will have gangs battling each other trying to dominate the market and innocent people being gunned down when they get in the crossfire.

With controlled , legal drugs (cocaine/heroine) there is few if any drug gangs left because there is no market to sell their drugs to. There are few, if any, drug related crimes because those addicted do not need to steal or mug to feed their addiction. There are no gun crimes because nobody is fighting for turf that doesnt exist.

All you do, is switch all resources/funds from drug enforcement to drug rehabilitation and supports. We are subsidizing drug users by having to monitor and arrest them.

Again, your sentiments appear to be based mostly on what you think of people who take drugs (its about their moral fiber), not on what is the best approach to take on this topic.
    Countless times I read in the newspapers individuals being caught with drugs - large quantities- and who plead in court - I owed someone money, I was an addict, and somehow judges take this as a defence and take it into consideration. Users or dealers need to know, if you are caught with illegal class A drugs, it's 5 years imprisonment or massive fine.

This is what needs to happen immediately in order to take the oxygen out of the fire of the current drug crisis. What your advocating is a crutch that turns into addiction

Again, none of this happens if drugs are treated differently. Maybe the next time you read a story like this you should do some research and educate yourself more on "the war on drugs". Its an unnecessary , failed war that has racist, xenophobic and corrupt undertones to the strategy and it has created a war out of nothing.

I am going to finish off with some questions because I am sure if you have as strong opinions as you appear to have, that you have looked at all sides, not just evidence or information that supports your sentiments -

- Why do you think is Heroine/Cocaine Illegal s opposed to alcohol/tobacco? (Hint: google racist , corrupt FBI agent Harry Anslinger and why Nixon targeted these drugs and the influence it has on the rest of us)

- What evidence can you provide that shows that decriminalizing drugs makes things worse ?

- What evidence can you provide that shows the current status is a better alternative ?

- How much of the violence in drugs is caused by how we manage the problem ?

- What exactly do you understand about addiction or even abusing a mind altering substance (alcohol, medication, illegal drugs) that makes you think its a moral/ethical question of character ?

Yes, decriminalizing drugs will have some negative consequences. People will probably try more drugs but people will also have more of an opportunity to recover from addiction, use quality drugs that lead to less health issues (mental/physical), people will have a far superior understanding/knowledge of drugs (as it wont be illegal and people can discuss it openly) and there is no need/market for drug gangs if people can get it on prescription. Does that not sound more favourable to what we have right now ?

Also , you never responded to my question. You posted up information about a UK report that "revealed the number of in-patients with a primary diagnosis of "mental and behavioural disorders due to use of cocaine" has risen by more than 90 percent in the last four years.". Do you think people who take drugs are more likely to suffer mental and behavioral disorders by being made criminals/societal outcasts (with little to no prospect of every recovering) or by getting rehabilitation and support ?

This has no meaning/relevance in this topic whatsoever, this is just a subjective viewpoint on something . However it does go back to a point I made that some people seem to think that this is about good/bad people on one level. You abuse drugs "you are morally corrupt", which is such a regressive attitude to addiction and even people who dont use drugs responsibly. All this does it marginalize and isolate people who use drugs and maybe makes people who dont take drugs feel a bit better/smug about themselves.
    Drumpot wrote:
    I’m sorry but what do you mean cocaine is being used ethically and responsibly for medical use and the opposite when being used for recreational use?

Read over your own posts Drumpot, this is what that section was in response to. I'm not going to go round in circles arguing the differences between medical use of a drug versus recreational use. I've been very clear, it's black and white. I think you need to look at medical ethics in order to grasp the difference between the medical versus recreational side of drug use. In particular, look up beneficence and non-maleficence.
    Why is this an ethical question ? So a person that drinks or eats or smokes or even works themselves to death (or health issues) is of a higher moral fiber because society has arbitrarily deemed that some things are illegal/legal ? That is a extremely flawed stance to take which not only doesn't help but really is a "well I dont do drugs so I am a good person" kind of logic. This seems to happen alot where people who dont engage in something take some pleasure in having a pious stance simply because it suits them, not because its objectively sound reasoning.

I've never said that.

Drinking or smoking yourself to excess or death is disgusting. It is not acceptable in society and has an immense cost to families, the medical system, law, policing, courts and so on.
    So if we take your "ethically responsible" approach to using drugs, you think every smoker in the world is ethically irresponsible ? Which in turn makes every country and every person in it "ethically irresponsible" for allowing the legalization of tobacco to continue ? Whats the difference between tobacco killing and effecting people to cocaine/Heroin?

Smoking tobacco is going to be made illegal in our life time and the sooner the better. Nicotine is an incredibly addictive and destructive substance. I don't think it should be legal. Countries across the world have been grappling with the adverse health effects for users for years, costing millions of lives. It should never have been made legal in the first place and it just goes to show the immense difficulty in rolling back something like this once it is made legal.

Tobacco and cocaine as stimulants have very similar effects on the brain's reward system. Both are extremely addictive. However, the likelihood of overdosing on a cigarette is marginal. There is a chance that you could overdose with cocaine and heroin, there is a chance you could go into a psychotic state with cocaine, with heroin your breathing could slow down so much you get brain damage. These are much more powerful drugs that change peoples consciousness considerably.

Campaigners will argue for assisted injection sites or places where you can use drugs under supervision so as to prevent overdosing but this is just helping the addiction continue and not helping addicts. Look at the Fentanyl crisis, especially in Vancouver. Naxolone kits are widely distributed to addicts and all that happens is they OD, get administered a naxolone dose and continue. People know they can just keep going with their addiction.

Addicts need to be helped off drugs, not to continue taking them to indulge themselves.
    I think thats a bit of a disingenuous statement to make, there are plenty of studies and information out there about countries who have taken different approaches. A simple google check would you find you:

LINKS & VIDEOS

There is alot more information about this easily available online if you are prepared to accept that there are benefits to alternatives then what we currently have in terms of addressing drugs.

That's not what I was talking about, please re-read what I've said. I am talking about studies on the long-term effects on mental health of users in countries where decriminalisation or legalisation has taken place, which is a different thing to what countries have decriminalised drugs - that's national policy, the other is consequences over time on users. I've already mentioned that I've had a look for such a study. In cases where loopholes allowed synthetic drugs to be legal in this country, there were will reported spikes in admissions to psychiatric departments which dropped back to normal rates when the loophole was closed.

What I would like to see is more detailed data over a wider timespan than just the two year Head Shop era we had here.
    There is no "bringing an end to this drug crisis", how do you not see that? How do you not see that our laws create alot if not most of the problems we see today, especially the violence.

With controlled , legal drugs (cocaine/heroine) there is few if any drug gangs left because there is no market to sell their drugs to. There are few, if any, drug related crimes because those addicted do not need to steal or mug to feed their addiction. There are no gun crimes because nobody is fighting for turf that doesnt exist.

All you do, is switch all resources/funds from drug enforcement to drug rehabilitation and supports. We are subsidizing drug users by having to monitor and arrest them.

Again, your sentiments appear to be based mostly on what you think of people who take drugs (its about their moral fiber), not on what is the best approach to take on this topic.

Your viewpoint is that it's a policy-centric/state problem - but decriminalisation will still see drugs come into the country and it being associated with illegal crime and gangs. Drugs are still illegal in Portugal, it's just if you are caught with small amounts you are ok. So someone is still bringing the drugs in, nothing has changed in that regard.

So do you think drug exporters just send a gram each time to Portugal? No, the drugs entering Portugal are being delivering as part of large consignments, where they filter down through gangs to dealers and end up as a gram in the pocket of users.

Full legalisation and state assisted drug use is not viable, people shouldn't be indulged to pursue recreational drugs. I'm in favour of getting people off drugs, not onto them.
    - Why do you think is Heroine/Cocaine Illegal s opposed to alcohol/tobacco? (Hint: google racist , corrupt FBI agent Harry Anslinger and why Nixon targeted these drugs and the influence it has on the rest of us)

Because Heroin and Cocaine are highly potent psychoactive substances, incredibly addictive and have serious health implications for long term users. Alcohol and tobacco are also quite strong substances, addictive and have serious health implications. The latter's status in society is beginning to change, 30 years ago it was normal for everyone to smoke. Now you might not date someone if they smoked. The shift in the public attitude and perception to smoking has been coming a long time and hopefully in the next few years it becomes illegal.

- . What evidence can you provide that shows that decriminalizing drugs makes things worse ?

- . What evidence can you provide that shows the current status is a better alternative ?

- . How much of the violence in drugs is caused by how we manage the problem ?

1 & 2. Firstly lets look at the case of in the late 2000s/early 2010s when synthetic drugs were legally available in this country. These drugs mimicked illegal drugs like cannabis and cocaine. People can say they weren't meant for human consumption (labelled plant food) but they were designed to be consumed and for all intents and purposes they were designer drugs. I think this data answers your first two questions.

"One in every eight admissions in this age range was a DRPA (drug-related psychiatric admission) and these therefore impact substantially on the workload of adult mental health services (Stanley et al., 2016). We found that the rate of DRPA was significantly higher in 2010 during the head shop era than it was over the same months in the years before the major headshop expansion and also significantly higher than in 2012 .

The joinpoint trend analysis indicates that the pattern of escalating DRPA reversed and the best estimate of the turning point is July 2010, 2 months after the initial legislation beginning the head shop closures. Overall psychiatric admissions rates among young adults were stable.The most enthusiastic users of NPS in Ireland in 2010 were young males, 9.7% reporting past year use (NACD, 2011).

It was this sub-group of the population which also showed greatest change in DRPA. The onset of the head shop era in January 2010 coincided with an increase in the rate of their admissions. The trend then reversed in May 2010, which happens to be the month in which the head shops began closing following the changes to the Misuse of Drugs Act. These alterations in DRPA closely mirror the observed changes in NPS-related addiction treatment episodes in Ireland and an 80% decline in NPS use by youth over the following 4 years (NACDA,2017; Smyth, 2017)."

ToEZgtz.png

People can say these drugs were not like the other ones, but look at Colombia. People can get cocaine cheaply and legally for personal supply and still it has a crack epidemic, because people will turn to stronger drugs as their tolerance builds up and in the event of decriminalisation in this country the same would occur. In the time that we had a sort of 'decriminalisation moment' here there was an adverse effect on peoples mental health because they seriously abused the drugs.

Unless the state intervenes and produces the drugs, gangs will still exist to deliver gaps in the market for stronger substances. Decriminalisation leaves much of the gangs and networks in place.

- What exactly do you understand about addiction or even abusing a mind altering substance (alcohol, medication, illegal drugs) that makes you think its a moral/ethical question of character ?

Yes, decriminalizing drugs will have some negative consequences. People will probably try more drugs but people will also have more of an opportunity to recover from addiction, use quality drugs that lead to less health issues (mental/physical), people will have a far superior understanding/knowledge of drugs (as it wont be illegal and people can discuss it openly) and there is no need/market for drug gangs if people can get it on prescription. Does that not sound more favourable to what we have right now ?

I've done my fair share of drugs and it's not something I'm proud of or revel in. I'm not some holier than thou saint who sneers at someone having a spliff and in fact I'm in favour of drugs in small amounts or as a seasonal experience. I would try at least every 1-2 years to go out and pick magic mushrooms. What I am not condoning is getting ****ed up every day or turning to drugs as a way to drown out difficulties in life or as a crutch.
    Also , you never responded to my question. You posted up information about a UK report that "revealed the number of in-patients with a primary diagnosis of "mental and behavioural disorders due to use of cocaine" has risen by more than 90 percent in the last four years.". Do you think people who take drugs are more likely to suffer mental and behavioral disorders by being made criminals/societal outcasts (with little to no prospect of every recovering) or by getting rehabilitation and support ?

Those people were getting treatment at hospitals, which was caused by drug use. It's not like they were turned away and refused treatment because they were drug users. They got into this state due to long-term drug use. What your trying to say is the stigma associated with drug use caused them to suffer mental and behaviour disorders? Jesus, that's a stretch. I would think the 5 grams-a-weekend habit of high powered drugs would definitely be the cause of mental deterioration rather than people tutting at you in the street.

Read over your own posts Drumpot, this is what that section was in response to. I'm not going to go round in circles arguing the differences between medical use of a drug versus recreational use. I've been very clear, it's black and white. I think you need to look at medical ethics in order to grasp the difference between the medical versus recreational side of drug use. In particular, look up beneficence and non-maleficence.

What has this got to do with Heroin/Cocaine being illegal versus other drugs that have been accepted by society ? Perhaps I am not understanding your specific point here? If you are taking a chemical for non medicinal purposes whats the difference other then society has chosen to ban one and accept the other. I really am not sure I understand what your point is on this.

I've never said that.

Drinking or smoking yourself to excess or death is disgusting. It is not acceptable in society and has an immense cost to families, the medical system, law, policing, courts and so on.

Smoking tobacco is going to be made illegal in our life time and the sooner the better. Nicotine is an incredibly addictive and destructive substance. I don't think it should be legal. Countries across the world have been grappling with the adverse health effects for users for years, costing millions of lives. It should never have been made legal in the first place and it just goes to show the immense difficulty in rolling back something like this once it is made legal.

Tobacco and cocaine as stimulants have very similar effects on the brain's reward system. Both are extremely addictive. However, the likelihood of overdosing on a cigarette is marginal. There is a chance that you could overdose with cocaine and heroin, there is a chance you could go into a psychotic state with cocaine, with heroin your breathing could slow down so much you get brain damage. These are much more powerful drugs that change peoples consciousness considerably.

You are discussing a hypothetical world that has banned Smoking in a way that has had no negative consequences so until we see how that looks and works out you are just talking pie in the sky stuff.

People are not machines and cannot be reprogrammed as such. Prohibition doesn't and hasn't worked because humans have always at some stage turned to mind altering substances for recreational reasons. It is not unethical or immoral to do that just because its not something you condone.

Campaigners will argue for assisted injection sites or places where you can use drugs under supervision so as to prevent overdosing but this is just helping the addiction continue and not helping addicts. Look at the Fentanyl crisis, especially in Vancouver. Naxolone kits are widely distributed to addicts and all that happens is they OD, get administered a naxolone dose and continue. People know they can just keep going with their addiction.

Addicts need to be helped off drugs, not to continue taking them to indulge themselves.

You see I believe there is a contradiction in this paragraph. I agree that addicts need to be helped off drugs, but I also believe part of that is with support and may involve them continuing to take the drugs until they are able to be drug free. The current system does not help addicts get out of addiction of that there is no denying.

That's not what I was talking about, please re-read what I've said. I am talking about studies on the long-term effects on mental health of users in countries where decriminalisation or legalisation has taken place, which is a different thing to what countries have decriminalised drugs - that's national policy, the other is consequences over time on users. I've already mentioned that I've had a look for such a study. In cases where loopholes allowed synthetic drugs to be legal in this country, there were will reported spikes in admissions to psychiatric departments which dropped back to normal rates when the loophole was closed.

What I would like to see is more detailed data over a wider timespan than just the two year Head Shop era we had here.

So you cant find evidence to either back or deny what you think should be done, but you are certain legalizing drugs is not a solution because you think (with no data to back up these sentiments) that its just indulging peoples recreational drug use?
    Your viewpoint is that it's a policy-centric/state problem - but decriminalisation will still see drugs come into the country and it being associated with illegal crime and gangs. Drugs are still illegal in Portugal, it's just if you are caught with small amounts you are ok. So someone is still bringing the drugs in, nothing has changed in that regard.

So do you think drug exporters just send a gram each time to Portugal? No, the drugs entering Portugal are being delivering as part of large consignments, where they filter down through gangs to dealers and end up as a gram in the pocket of users.

Full legalisation and state assisted drug use is not viable, people shouldn't be indulged to pursue recreational drugs. I'm in favour of getting people off drugs, not onto them.

In the 20s and 30s , during prohibition on cigs and alcohol, there were gangs and the mob involved in bootlegging Alcohol and cigs. This led to violence and the kind of gangs we see now with illegal drugs. Why isnt there still alcohol and cigerrette gangs as much as there used to be ? Do you realise that the drug gangs were created by the laws we made to ban these drugs ?

Portugal’s drug policy

https://transformdrugs.org/drug-decriminalisation-in-portugal-setting-the-record-straight/

Drug Use
    Drug use has declined among those aged 15-24,6 the population most at risk of initiating drug use.....

Overall, this suggests that removing criminal penalties for personal drug possession did not cause an increase in levels of drug use.

Health

It has been claimed that the prevalence of drug-related infectious diseases rose after decriminalisation,20 yet this is strongly contradicted by the evidence. Although the number of newly diagnosed HIV cases among people who inject drugs in Portugal is well above the European average,21 it has declined dramatically over the past decade, falling from 1,016 to 56 between 2001 and 2012.22 Over the same period, the number of new cases of AIDS among people who inject drugs also decreased, from 568 to 38.

Deaths
    deaths due to drug use have decreased significantly – from approximately 80 in 2001, to 16 in 2012.28

Homicides

A widely repeated claim is that, as a result of Portugal’s decriminalisation policy, drug-related homicides increased 40% between 2001 and 2006.29 30 But this claim is based on a misrepresentation of the evidence.The 40% increase (from 105 to 148) was for all homicides, defined as any ‘intentional killing of a person, including murder, manslaughter, euthanasia and infanticide’31 – they were not ‘drug-related’. In fact, there are no data collected for drug-related homicides.

Crime

Despite claims to the contrary,34 decriminalisation appears to have had a positive effect on crime.

Additionally, decriminalisation does not appear to have caused an increase in crimes typically associated with drugs. While opportunistic thefts and robberies had gone up when measured in 2004, it has been suggested that this may have been because police were able to use the time saved by no longer arresting drug users to tackle (and record) other low-level crimes.37 Although difficult to test, this theory is perhaps supported by the fact that, during the same period, there was a reduction in recorded cases of other, more complex crimes typically committed by people who are dependent on drugs, such as thefts from homes and businesses.

There will always be some negative aspects to how we treat drug users. I am arguing that how we manage it is impractical and probably causing more damage directly and indirectly.

Because Heroin and Cocaine are highly potent psychoactive substances, incredibly addictive and have serious health implications for long term users. Alcohol and tobacco are also quite strong substances, addictive and have serious health implications. The latter's status in society is beginning to change, 30 years ago it was normal for everyone to smoke. Now you might not date someone if they smoked. The shift in the public attitude and perception to smoking has been coming a long time and hopefully in the next few years it becomes illegal.

Again, you are going back to a personal principle thats not pragmatic or based in reality. There will always be people taking some sort of mind altering substance, that's just human nature.

Yes the awareness and change in sentiments towards alcohol and cigerettes came when they were legal and people could use them and discuss them openly without being criminals for doing so. . This would suggest that actually having a transparent and progressive approach to these substances has helped mature society.

1 & 2. Firstly lets look at the case of in the late 2000s/early 2010s when synthetic drugs were legally available in this country. These drugs mimicked illegal drugs like cannabis and cocaine. People can say they weren't meant for human consumption (labelled plant food) but they were designed to be consumed and for all intents and purposes they were designer drugs. I think this data answers your first two questions.

ToEZgtz.png

People can say these drugs were not like the other ones, but look at Colombia. People can get cocaine cheaply and legally for personal supply and still it has a crack epidemic, because people will turn to stronger drugs as their tolerance builds up and in the event of decriminalisation in this country the same would occur. In the time that we had a sort of 'decriminalisation moment' here there was an adverse effect on peoples mental health because they seriously abused the drugs.

Unless the state intervenes and produces the drugs, gangs will still exist to deliver gaps in the market for stronger substances. Decriminalisation leaves much of the gangs and networks in place.

I honestly dont know what a 4 year graph on headshops has to do with this topic. Cocaine and Heroin have been around a lot longer, what worked for head shops obviously doesnt work for the other drugs. I dont see the relevance to how this proves continuing on with our current status quo (thats failed and continuing to fail) is the way forward.
    I've done my fair share of drugs and it's not something I'm proud of or revel in. I'm not some holier than thou saint who sneers at someone having a spliff and in fact I'm in favour of drugs in small amounts or as a seasonal experience. I would try at least every 1-2 years to go out and pick magic mushrooms. What I am not condoning is getting ****ed up every day or turning to drugs as a way to drown out difficulties in life or as a crutch.

What you think of people taking drugs should have no relevance on this topic. I believe this is the heart of your sentiments and as such you dont seem to be able to dicsuss pragmatic approaches for fear of "indulging" peoples vices. Meanwhile the way we treat addicts and people taking drugs leads to gangs and crimes that stop happening if the state takes over the drug trade in a regulated health centric fashion.
    Those people were getting treatment at hospitals, which was caused by drug use. It's not like they were turned away and refused treatment because they were drug users. They got into this state due to long-term drug use. What your trying to say is the stigma associated with drug use caused them to suffer mental and behaviour disorders? Jesus, that's a stretch. I would think the 5 grams-a-weekend habit of high powered drugs would definitely be the cause of mental deterioration rather than people tutting at you in the street.

30 years ago, how do you think the mental health of Gay people was in Ireland? If you were Gay you had to keep your "dirty little secret" to yourself. You probably wouldnt end up in jail and could a relatively normal if not lonely life. How did Gay people having to pretend to not be gay feel ? How many committed suicide ? How many married Women and had families just to fit in? How many lived miserable lives just because they couldn't be themselves in the general population ? How did this make them feel when society had such a negative view on them ?

I think as a society we really dont appreciate the damage our response does to addicts. If you ostracize and shame a community of any sort you are aking it harder by default for them to re-integrate on any meaningful level into society. You say you want a country that helps get people off using drugs yet there is plenty of evidence to show that the way we deal with them is more likely to consign people with drug issues to a life of misery.

Ireland's approach to drug addicts is to give them a more addictive drug. How do I know ? Because my local pharmacist explained it to me . Just give them methadone (I think he said Methadone) and leave them ruin their lives. .

When you make drugs illegal and users illegal, they are less likely to get help or look for help. I have three young boys and I hope they never take hard drugs. But if they did I would rather it be drugs that are regulated, clean and monitored by the state. The alternative is they introduced to it from their peers and there will be little to no help for them which could destroy my family.

I know families destroyed by alcohol and drugs and the net result is no different. Just because one is theoretically more potent then the other makes no difference.

PS - I am trying to amend my post to be more respectful, apologies if it can come across as snotty at times, that is not my intention...

I have suffered my own demons and issues with alcohol and prescription drugs , I am now sober for over 7 years. I got well with love and support from like minded groups, not by being arrested and made a criminal. I meet many drug users who have the same story as me, except they are branded criminals by an uncaring and quite ignorant state.

This subject is extremely personal to me and I dont see why just because I got addicted to legal drugs why I am a "lucky survivor" of addiction. I dont see the way we treat addicts as helpeful, progressive or civilized. I might add that our country is pretty sh*t at even supporting or helping alcoholics, the best I can say is that it doesnt make us convicts or lock us up, but thats about it . .

I dont think Ireland or most countries actually give a flying f**k about people who suffer addictions or mental health issues that lead to addictions. They give it lip service (we want people off drugs) and do nothing to really try and help people out of their suffering. My family have a father, a husband and somebody who can support them because of the love and support I got from MY doctor, my therapist , my support group and friends who did not judge me. I’m not so sure I am around to tell this story if there was prohibition of alcohol like there is currently with cocaine or heroin.

@ Steyr 556

Just want to say, just because I have suffered from addiction issues does not mean I think I know it all or even more then you. Nor does it mean that your opinions are less valid. I did not write that to imply that "you dont know what you are talking about, I have seen things man!!". It was because I noticed some snotty/ratty parts of my posts and that is not my intention.

I am only writing this in case I can be short with anybody on this thread, I really am trying to not be that guy . . :o

And up until a year or two I wouldnt of known alot of the information I discuss. It was only reading Johan Hari's books and listening to him discuss it that I changed my views. He doesnt just challange our views on addiction but also how we tackle mental health problems:

@ Steyr 556

Just want to say, just because I have suffered from addiction issues does not mean I think I know it all or even more then you. Nor does it mean that your opinions are less valid. I did not write that to imply that "you dont know what you are talking about, I have seen things man!!". It was because I noticed some snotty/ratty parts of my posts and that is not my intention.

I am only writing this in case I can be short with anybody on this thread, I really am trying to not be that guy . . :o

And up until a year or two I wouldnt of known alot of the information I discuss. It was only reading Johan Hari's books and listening to him discuss it that I changed my views. He doesnt just challange our views on addiction but also how we tackle mental health problems:

Ah you're grand man, to be honest you raise a lot of good points and I'd do well to consider them rather than becoming further entrenched in my own ideas. Just going to end up back and forth getting nowhere otherwise. I'll have a peep at the ted talk here now.

I dont think Ireland or most countries actually give a flying f**k about people who suffer addictions or mental health issues that lead to addictions. They give it lip service (we want people off drugs) and do nothing to really try and help people out of their suffering. My family have a father, a husband and somebody who can support them because of the love and support I got from MY doctor, my therapist , my support group and friends who did not judge me. I’m not so sure I am around to tell this story if there was prohibition of alcohol like there is currently with cocaine or heroin.

Have you read about the studies by psychologist Bruce K. Alexander on rats and morphine?
    I know these tests on rodents don't always translate to what humans will do but this is interesting.

Different groups of rats, some left alone in a cage others in a larger rat parks with other rats setup to be a rat paradise and a very nice place for them to interact socially.

Both sets had access to regular water and water mixed with morphine.
    The ones alone in the cage were 19 times more likely to drink the morphine mix.

The rats in the park preferred the regular water as the morphine mix limited their ability to interact with order rats and enjoy the park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 228 ✭✭ghost of ireland past

That guy Johann Hari is a bit weird.

I haven't fully made up my mind on him but my first impression is that he's a charalatan.

Johann's thesis appears to be that drugs are not addictive, and that people only become addicted due to despair. There is some truth to this but it is a trite observation. In other words, his observation is obvious and not of very much importance.

Of course it's true to say that poor people with nothing to do and who percieve that there is no place for them in society will take drugs. Drugs are good fun, at least at first, and if there's nothing else to do of course people will take them. If there's never anything good to do then people will take drugs constantly.

Prince Harry is unlikely to become addicted, as he has loads of support and alternatives to taking drugs. He may take them occassionally but he's not likely to become addicted.

Johann Hari is selling books by saying something very obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I haven't fully made up my mind on him but my first impression is that he's a charalatan.
    Never heard of him before, looked up wikipedia and yep, he's a con man.

He's a journalist with little more than anecdotal experience on the topic of drugs, and a history of writing bull**** and running away when called out on it.
    Johann's thesis appears to be that drugs are not addictive, and that people only become addicted due to despair. There is some truth to this but it is a trite observation. In other words, his observation is obvious and not of very much importance.
    The observation might be obvious, but it's also wrong. While there is often a strong correlation between people with mental illness or depression and drug-taking, it's not a causative factor. That is, you don't have to be "in despair" to take or become addicted to anything.

The trope of the addict using drugs to "hide from his problems" is popular, but it's not universal. Plenty of addicts will recall having no real problems in their lives until they became addicted. From there is can become a downward spiral (though it doesn't always), and while the drugs become a crutch, the original addiction is just something that happened.

If that is his message, it's kind of dangerous. Because not only does it tell people that they're grand to take drugs if they're in a good place mentally, it also tells addicts that their problem is not the addiction and if they work on other things, the addiction will go away. For many (most?) addicts, addiction is their only real problem, everything else stems from it.

Prince Harry is unlikely to become addicted, as he has loads of support and alternatives to taking drugs. He may take them occassionally but he's not likely to become addicted.

That's just not true.

There's any number of very wealthy, well connected drug addicts. Some people are just more prone to addiction than others, and certainly more prone to specific addictions than others. Some people can happily have the odd pint, while others feel compelled to down a bottle of vodka for breakfast, some the occasional flutter while others will stick the mortgage on that dead cert running in the 2.45 from leopardstown.

I have no idea what the reason for that is, but it's certainly not boredom, poverty or deprivation - if it was we wouldn't have the constant stream of gazillionaire celebrity addicts of all description which we do.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what the reason for that is, but it's certainly not boredom, poverty or deprivation - if it was we wouldn't have the constant stream of gazillionaire celebrity addicts of all description which we do.
    All of the studies on the nature of addiction suggest that it's genetic.

Even studies on primates - who in theory should lack the higher cognitive functions that create "despair" - indicate that some individuals are simply more prone to addiction than others.

And since we know that there's an inheritable aspect to it, then it stands to reason that people with less money are more predisposed to addiction. That is, if you are poor and genetically predisposed to addiction, then the odds of you lifting yourself out of poverty are massively shortened. And therefore your offspring are bound to the same fate. Over generations, you find higher levels of addiction among poorer communities because it's in their genes.

It is certainly true to say that Prince Harry, and others in his position, are less likely to become addicted than other people, particularly poorer people.

I am not saying that Harry is immune to becoming addicted. If people think that's what I'm saying then they are wrong.

Drugs relieve pain.
    That includes physical pain, but also psychological pain in your mind. Boredom, poverty or deprivation causes psychological pain, therefore boredom or poverty contributes to drug use.

This is obvious stuff and is incontrovertible.

Drug use is good fun and it's more addictive among the poor as they have little else to do.

There is also the problem that society tells lots of lies about drugs. Those lies prevent Harry from coming out and saying drug use is fun and everyone should try drugs, which is probably what he thinks.
    Our society prevents people from saying what they truly think.

Seamus's point about evolution and genes for addiction becoming concentrated among poorer people is valid and has merit.
    If there was a genetic component to drug addiction, and, this is crucial, if that drug use prevented poor people from succeeding and becoming rich, then, yes, it is true to conclude that genes for addiction would become more prevalent among the poor.

That is a good point, but how much of drug addiction among the poor does it explain?
    I don't think it explains very much.
    Despair and boredom explains much more, in my view.

Drugs relieve pain.
    That includes physical pain, but also psychological pain in your mind. Boredom, poverty or deprivation causes psychological pain, therefore boredom or poverty contributes to drug use.

This is obvious stuff and is incontrovertible.

It is neither obvious nor incontrovertible.

Firstly i wouldn't be in any way convinced that poorer people take drugs more often than richer people. The reason it appears to be that way probably has a lot to do with the facts that -

A: There's a lot more of them, and
    B: It's more likely to cause them legal or working problems which bring them to your attention

Prince Harry is unlikely to find himself having to stick one of Lizzies crowns on ebay to buy coke, he has the money to hand. He also doesn't need to clock in to some shít hole warehouse at 7:00am or face consequences - he can just order up another ounce or 2 and stay in the champagne filled jacuzzi with Megan until it arrives.

Secondly the whole people only take drugs to numb the pain thing is very much exaggerated in my opinion, yes some people obviously do, but the vast majority i would suggest do so purely for the craic.

Personally speaking i know dozens of people who have taken all manner of drugs and i can't think of a single one who was trying to numb some horror existence - these were just party people, who liked to get out their heads for fun. The vast majority also managed to do so without any addiction issues.

Secondly the whole people only take drugs to numb the pain thing is very much exaggerated in my opinion, yes some people obviously do, but the vast majority i would suggest do so purely for the craic.
    Indeed. Again, as a result of massive anti-drug propaganda campaigns - especially in the English-speaking world - people were led to believe that hard drugs were only consumed by "broken" people, losers who were already on a downward spiral and took hard drugs to escape from their own personal anguish.

But people drank and smoked because they enjoy it and want to have some craic. Legal drugs were placed in a separate bucket of "fine in moderation", for no justifiable reason except that they were legal.

I accept the assertion that poorer people may in fact not abuse substances more often than wealthy people. It just becomes a bigger problem much faster because they can't afford to prop themselves up.
    I read a story recently on Robert Downey Jr.'s decision to quit substance abuse after an ultimatum. Now look at him. But if he hadn't been a multi-millionaire at the time that he developed his addiction, there's a good chance he wouldn't have beaten it, and there's no way in hell he would have been able to rebuild a successful career. Being a wealthy addict is very different experience to being a poor one.

So indeed, it may be a mistake for me to suggest that addiction runs more frequently through poorer people.

seamus wrote: »
    I accept the assertion that poorer people may in fact not abuse substances more often than wealthy people. It just becomes a bigger problem much faster because they can't afford to prop themselves up.
    I read a story recently on Robert Downey Jr.'s decision to quit substance abuse after an ultimatum. Now look at him. But if he hadn't been a multi-millionaire at the time that he developed his addiction, there's a good chance he wouldn't have beaten it, and there's no way in hell he would have been able to rebuild a successful career. Being a wealthy addict is very different experience to being a poor one.

That's it exactly.

Robert Downey Jr, or Robbie Williams get 6 trips to Betty Ford or the Priory, all the time and help they need to get their shít together (don't let anything happen that golden goose!) Then back to the mansion to sign that nice multi million film / record / book deal.

Robbie Murphy gets 6 months in the joy, the sack if he had a job to begin with and then left to his own devices to fend for himself, on the streets in a lot of cases.

No prizes for guessing who's more likely to clean up their act!

Poorer people are more likely to be obese than richer people. That is for similar reasons but not exactly the same reasons as poorer people being more likely to become addicted.

If cocaine was legalised and sold at it's natural price of about 5 euro per gram at a guess it'd be hugely popular and way too many people would develop health problems. Legalisation of some other alternative drug seems to be the only way.

Using drugs is not, in and of itself, immoral or shameful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Poorer people are more likely to be obese than richer people. That is for similar reasons but not exactly the same reasons as poorer people being more likely to become addicted.

If cocaine was legalised and sold at it's natural price of about 5 euro per gram at a guess it'd be hugely popular and way too many people would develop health problems. Legalisation of some other alternative drug seems to be the only way.

Using drugs is not, in and of itself, immoral or shameful.

To be honest I wouldn't agree with it being so cheap. Most people currently using it are happy to pay ~€70-100/g to black market dealers so as long as the legal sources undercut that it would be ideal. Taxes applied accordingly. It would be a huge earner. I'm fully in support of legalisation of everything but still feel like they shouldn't all be readily available for anyone to walk in and purchase in dispensaries. Cannabis and other soft drugs like that, sure. But the more addictive stuff like coke, since we know how stupid many people are, it would be great to have people needing to register to access those dispensaries and actually be walked through some kind of awareness steps so they learn about what they're actually taking, how much to take, signs of issues to look out for etc. and then be made sign whatever's necessary for them to acknowledge they are fully aware of the risks. These facilities should only be available to actual citizens/residents though. Tourists shouldn't be able to arrive on and go mental because it'd be awful

I think more people than we imagine would actually take harm reduction seriously if it was readily available and without any judgement or bull****. Just informed people educating people on what they're actually consuming. For example, in certain events around Europe there are proper drug testing facilities available and so many people actually avail of them and learn more through them than they would on their own

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think this video sums up a lot of incorrect attitudes towards drug users and how to deal with them, hopefully it might change the mentality of some people here:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

"Just one hit
    And I feel great
    And I support
    The welfare state."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b7DgOeMnW4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

some interesting stats out of Portugal

Advertisement