Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best moisturizer for very dry skin?

• 16-01-2012 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right place but anyway. Can anyone recommend a good moisturizer for men with very dry skin. I get bad dry skin around my nose and my eyelids and up around my eyebrows for some reason and have tried most of the usual Nivea etc brands they only seem to keep it at bay for a few hours..:confused:

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭vincent coffey

duff
    Suffer from the same. After loads of different things ive settled on the body shop hemp face protector. Not the cream but the one like a butter. Not cheap (9.95) and it is really for night use as its heavy but i saw an improvement after a couple of nights. You just need to remember to apply it before bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Clinique mens do a great one for dry skin.
    It is definitely worth the extra money.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

These do the job for me quite well(I used to use Nivea too)

http://www.kiehls.com/Facial-Fuel/555,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=men-moisturizers
    http://www.dermalogica.com/uk/html/products/active-moist-14.html?type=function&cat=moisturizers

Am probably going to use this one in the future though as the sample I tried was amazing for my skin

http://www.kiehls.com/Ultra-Facial-Oil-Free-Lotion/10002,default,pd.html?start=14&cgid=face-moisturizers

They are a bit more expensive than Nivea, but I find they are definitely worth it, and do last me for quite a long time, even when I use them every day. You could probably get some free Kiehl's samples if you live in Dublin and pop into them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I have almost identical symptoms (eyebrows, nose, skin between cheek-bone and nose (under my eyes) and skin under the point of my chin. I too tried moisturisers to no avail, and certain soaps / shaving creams drove me nuts with stinging.

I was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis and have to use prescription-only creams with a moisturiser when it flares up. I am not offering medical advice nor do I wish to cause wholesale panic here, but see your GP and follow his/her guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Silcocks Base is fantastic for super dry skin - cheap and cheerful (and unscented!), most pharmacies stock both the big tubs and the tubes of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

mathepac wrote: »
    I have almost identical symptoms (eyebrows, nose, skin between cheek-bone and nose (under my eyes) and skin under the point of my. I too tried moisturisers to no avail, and certain soaps / shaving creams drove me nuts with stinging.

I was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis and have to use prescription-only creams with a moisturiser when it flares up. I am not offering medical advice nor do I wish to cause wholesale panic here, but see your GP and follow his/her guidance.

This. Go and see your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

mathepac wrote: »
    I have almost identical symptoms (eyebrows, nose, skin between cheek-bone and nose (under my eyes) and skin under the point of my. I too tried moisturisers to no avail, and certain soaps / shaving creams drove me nuts with stinging.

me too ;) that said a pharmacist may advise either if a doctor visit is required - they can be quite good that way

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Silcocks Base is fantastic for super dry skin ...
    That's the one I use - first the prescription ointment then the Silcocks Base.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Bio oil is a brilliant moisturiser so is aqueous cream.
    Le Roche posay do some very good ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I use a daily wash to try and get all the dry skin off, because there is no point in moisterizing dead skin. I then use emulsyfying ointment, its kind of the same as silcocks base, it comes in a big tub and is very cheap and it has a vaseline texture. Put a good bit of it on before bed and your skin will be really soft the next day.

I even use it when I come out of the shower as I have very dry skin. But I think its brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Beesand

I find E45 great, I always have a tube with me in winter for problem dry areas.
    And it's unscented etc, so works for men too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Missy Moo Moo

Korres thyme and honey moisturising cream, the price is decent for a face cream @ €22 and smells absolutely divine, at least I think so anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Stella89

You could try something like Raw Shea butter . Alot of moisturizers will have a high percentage of alcohol in them which can dry out the skin even more , and chemicals that might irritate your skin .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shea_butter

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Your problem sounds like the one my husband had...He used Aveeno cream on recommendation from a pharmacist friend and it cleared up with in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 beautybrains

I would try this product:
    http://www.skinstore.ie/Products/111-intensive-moisture-balance-50ml.aspx

It would be money well spent trust me I am a dermalogica fanatic :):)
    How can you question the world's leading skin care brand :P:P

Perhaps try an exfoliator also, as this will help remove any dead skin cells from the surface.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Tried every cream imaginable on my daughters dry skin to no avail until a pharmacist friend recommended Moraz skin saver. It's excellent. I even pop a tiny amount on ny own face before bed and it really works.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MaryMaryMary

Trilogy skincare range is excellent. They have a moisturiser called ultra hydrating cream and it's brilliant. It's about 30e for a tube but lasts about 2 months. Worked a treat on my skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jennyarnol

I would suggest you that When buying skin moisturizers, look for products that contain ingredients such as oatmeal, soy, hyaluronic acids, and essential fatty acids that help lock in moisture.

Advertisement