Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bragg's Law and lattice spacing problem

• 27-06-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭

I'm currently starting work using XRD but there's something driving me mad, I came upon this website explaining how they worked out the lattice spacing for a specimen. However, every time I try and do it I keep getting a wrong answer for d in comparison to what the authors got. Would anyone here know what they managed to do?

Here's the example:
    C. This is one of the X-ray peaks. It happens to be the one with the smallest angle which I measured as 23.04 degrees. Solving Bragg's Law (with n=1 and wavelength=1.54 ang) we find that 23.04 degrees 2-theta corresponds to a d-spacing of 3.86 angstrom.

Here's what I've done:

2d(sinθ)=λ

2d(sin 23.04)=1.54
    2d(0.391)=1.54
    0.782d=1.54
    d=1.54/0.782
    d=1.969

I'm not sure where I've gone wrong? Any help would be much appreciated!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

El Siglo wrote: »
    I'm currently starting work using XRD but there's something driving me mad, I came upon this website explaining how they worked out the lattice spacing for a specimen. However, every time I try and do it I keep getting a wrong answer for d in comparison to what the authors got. Would anyone here know what they managed to do?

Here's the example:

Here's what I've done:

2d(sinθ)=λ

2d(sin 23.04)=1.54
    2d(0.391)=1.54
    0.782d=1.54
    d=1.54/0.782
    d=1.969

I think it's just their wording that's confusing you.
    For practical reasons the diffractometer measures an angle twice that of the theta angle. Not surprisingly, we call the measured angle '2-theta'.
    2θ = 23.04. θ = 11.52. Plug that in and you should get their values.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Malty_T wrote: »
    El Siglo wrote: »

Here's the example:

Here's what I've done:

2d(sinθ)=λ

2d(sin 23.04)=1.54
    2d(0.391)=1.54
    0.782d=1.54
    d=1.54/0.782
    d=1.969

I think it's just their wording that's confusing you.
    For practical reasons the diffractometer measures an angle twice that of the theta angle. Not surprisingly, we call the measured angle '2-theta'.
    2θ = 23.04. θ = 11.52. Plug that in and you should get their values.:)

I just did it there and it came out correct, I feel like such an idiot! :D Thanks a million!

Advertisement