Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best pint of Guinness in Dublin/Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

There is only one place "the Gravediggers" of Glasnevin. I have drank guinness
    in the guinness gravity bar and it was not as good as the diggers.
    Always a good pint and a very unique pub aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

newkie wrote:
    Hmm, I need to get out more. I will say that the best pint of Guinness I've ever had was at Bunch of Grapes. And right after I told everyone about it and tried again I thought it was one of the more mediocre. Don't know who was having a good day, me or the pub!

I'd say the mediocre one was on a bad day. I don't think I've ever had a bad pint in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I had a pint of Guinness in Delaney's on Aungier St yesterday evening. Went down nicely! Comes recommended.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

the pub opposite eddie rocket's in terenure is bradys and it's very good. but i'd have to go with the cricket club in phoenix park. i realise it's not really a pub but the few pints i've had there have been magical.

best pub proper i've found is birchills in ranelagh

getting thirsty now... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I found my best pint in the first pub you find as you drive onto Achill Island. Absolute quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

RedorDead wrote:
    General rule is the busier the pub the worse the guinness will be.
    I'd disagree even with that rule of thumb. If it's very quiet the taps will get manky and will not be cleared out regularly by the black stuff itself.

Arthur's in Leixlip (guess where the name came from) do a good one, rightly so. I also quite like the Guinness in Doyle's on D'Olier Street.

Must try Mulligan's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

bigears wrote:
    Murphy's does have a great pint. O'Connell's in Eyre Square is another old reliable.

I remember having lovely pints in Rabbittes on Forester Street years ago but the last time I was there they had ruined the shop... The bar was all tarted up and the pints were freezing cold. No taste to them at all. I hotfooted it up to Connells for a pint!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah - I have to say I'm not a fan of Guinness Extra Cold. In some English bars ordering an extra cold is the only way you might get a halfway decent pint. However, there's a little pub in West Byfleet that does both standard and extra cold guinness, good pints of both. On a taste comparison, the standard temperature was far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

In Dublin, probably Mulligans on Poolbeg St.
    Best I've had outside Dublin is Taaffes in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Blub2k4 wrote:
    The bar in the Guinness brewery always served a pretty good pint, haven't been there too often but every time I was there it was amazing, but that's to be expected. Other than that you can get a really good pint in most of the more tradionally working class areas like Cork St., most locals really. Other than that most places have good and bad days.
    Agree on this one the guinness in the bar at the Storehouse is out of this world, and so it shoudl be, it must be the freshest pint ever. I have drunk guinness all over the world and all over the country - it is pretty good in most pubs these days due to the investment in all these chaps driving around the country cleaning pipes for lazy publicans and ensuring the quality of the brew is served well. Throughput is the key to a good pint - and the care and attention of those serviing it.

The worse pint tends to be in those beer tents and in plastic glasses - the kind of which you get at race meetings, festivals and sporting events served by inexperienced bar staff pouring pints as quickly as possible. No chance to savour the beer, probably had too much and dying for a p*ss and need a conjouring act to get four pints back from the bar too a bunch of mates you can never find once you have actually secured the stuff - and it tends to be the most expensive pint you will have apart from a night-club (also well known for bad overpriced pints)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

sham69 wrote:
    There is only one place "the Gravediggers" of Glasnevin. I have drank guinness
    in the guinness gravity bar and it was not as good as the diggers.
    Always a good pint and a very unique pub aswell.

Seconded. Best pint in the city by a country mile - if you get my drift...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Fisherman's Inn, coutwood/Balybrittas, Co. Laois

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Not much of a Guinness drinker, but the nicest pints I've had are in J. O'Connells pub on St. Richmond St. It's just down from the Portobello in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Moylan's on Main Street in Loughrea, Co. Galway has the finest pints I've ever tasted, lovely small pub with nice atmosphere, good flow on the black stuff. In Galway, Ti Neachtains is probably my favourite for Guinness. Also a spot (can't remember the name of it) as you're leaving Clarecastle for Limerick, lovely Guinness in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Murphy's on Shop street get's my vote, delicious pint!

Nothing worse than being in a bar and they pull the pint almost full and then 5 seconds later they top it up and serve it to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Nunu wrote:
    Not much of a Guinness drinker, but the nicest pints I've had are in J. O'Connells pub on St. Richmond St. It's just down from the Portobello in Dublin.

I haven't been there in years... always had a lovely pint!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

with the worst pint being in my local pub which is the Sheaf of Wheat in Coolock village, completely undrinkable and most of the staff don't have a clue how to pour it,
    Seconded.

I don't drink there because of this. It's my nearest pub aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Have to say, I'm quite picky about my Guinness..

I'd always considered Mulligan's on Poolbeg Street to have the best pint I'd ever tasted. However that's not to say that I haven't had a less than perfect pint there, I have. It can vary depending on who pulls it.

Recently I've been favouring the Guinness in The Stag's Head. Absoloutely cracking pint of Guinness. Tops the pint in Mulligan's in my opinion.
    The Stag gets very busy at night at the weekends, but by God is it a nice pint of Guinness.. oh sweet black heavenly Goodness..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭mobby

Ryans Parkgate Street do a mighty fine pint of the black stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Has anyone had a pint from the Flowing Tide on Abbey St? Pretty darn good if memory serves me right. Hopefully that's been pre-endorsed when I go back and read the thread now :-)

I've heard alot about pints in Mulligans and had pints from there on two or three occassions, but never been hugely impressed. It was nice n'all, just not worth the hype.

Other then that, the Wishing Well in Reading amazingly enough serves fairly consistantly excellent Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

kennedys at tara street tops the list imo,
    ice bar on parnell st has served me well too.

im not as picky as i used to be,
    haivng come to the realisation that almost all pints of guinness will be utter ****e.
    i prefer the cans these days tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

subway wrote:
    ice bar on parnell st has served me well too.

Really? That's just around the corner from me. Was in there once, but didn't try the Guinness. I must remedy that. Doesn't look like somewhere you'd get a decent pint.

I meant to say in my previous post, I've been in the Storehouse, and was hugely underimpressed by the Guinness. Oh and, I also thought the barstaff might tell the tourists to wait untill it's settled.. It's just not right drinking Guinness while it's settling..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,820 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mulligan's on Poolbeg St is usually excellent. Honourable mention to O'Donoghue's on the Emmet Road in Inchicore too. Looking forward to a few there on Friday night. :)

Outside Dublin, best I've had is in the Brandywell Bar in Derry, just down the road from Derry City's ground. Absolutely fantastic pint!!! Looking forward to a few there next Monday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Really? That's just around the corner from me. Was in there once, but didn't try the Guinness. I must remedy that. Doesn't look like somewhere you'd get a decent pint.

i know, its an unusual one alright.
    chinese barmen, neon lights, a patio out the back and all this hidden behind a dodgy looking offo,
    yet they easily do one of the best pints in the north city.
    or did on the occasions i visited.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Guinness in the Storehouse is not as good as I'd hope.

Best pint - Sandymount House (Ryan's) - in Sandymount. Really, really consistent, creamy, flavoursome.

The worst pint I've ever had was in the old sports bar in UCD.

Madigan's in Donnybrook isn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Toales in Dundalk. Haven't been to too many in Dublin so I can't really compare. Reading on this thread that someone from America were served pitchers of it. Good God. A mate of mine was on holidays and was in an Irish bar. The barman was filling the pint to the top and throwing it out. When he asked my mate, he realised he was Irish and served it properly. Asked him why he gave it out to the other people the other way he said "They don't know the ****ing difference."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've been in the Storehouse, and was hugely underimpressed by the Guinness. Oh and, I also thought the barstaff might tell the tourists to wait untill it's settled.. It's just not right drinking Guinness while it's settling..
    I was very disappointed with it too. I have had about 10 pints there on about 4-5 different occasions, all were very bland and mediocre, not creamy, almost like canned guinness. They obviously do not clean the glasses correctly since the head does not adhere well at all, on any that I saw. Glasses should be thorougly rinsed, any minute trace of detergent will destroy the head. I would have thought it would be one of the best poured too yet some had "bishops collars", and some had a miserable small head that was below the top of the glass after settling.

Worst of all is the robbing bastards charge a good bit more than their own RRP!, snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

I used to work in the Keg Plant in St James' Gate

So... the best pints of Guinness I had were from the 100,000 hecto-litre vats that contain the Guinness before they got Kegged.

PERFECT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The Goblet, Artane... The Beaumont House, Beaumont... The well known Mulligans (probably the best in Ireland!), O'Donoghues (the Thing Mote) on suffolk st. and.. Eamon Dorans (only joking :p )
    Was this whole post a joke, or just the Dorans part?

FFS, the pint in the Goblet has gotten steadily worse in the past four years, to the point of being undrinkable. As for the Beaumont House, jesus, it's dire.

Not as bad as what I saw in Sydney though.

Darling Harbour, one of the bars there. Went to the bar and saw that they had Guinness, saw two lads drinking it, so I asked them what it was like. Turned out they were English, and said it was alright, so I asked the barman for a pint. He turned to the fridge and took out a can, poured it into a glass. It was flat. They had a machine like a Soda Stream thing, he put the glass into it and fizzed up the Guinness. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

The best are Grogans, JJ's on Aungier St (upstairs), and Frank Ryans on Queen St.

I think Mulligans and the Gravediggers are overrated tbh.

Advertisement