Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anthem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

This has been added to the base Origin Access

• Registered Users Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm around Rank 20 now and I like it. It really could have had some better mission design but it's far from the hot garbage it was made out to be. At the same time it's far from the game it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

It's in the EA Access vault now too so might get an increase in player count, in the short term at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I have my storm and colluses maxed out now at 925 power level with all legendaries, and it's a pretty decent game with the most recent updates. Enjoying the latest cataclysm level, trying to get a high score. Some nice new guns and the loot drop rate for legendaries is definitely fixed. I got six in one game last week. Even took a screenshot of it. Play mostly on GM2, I two manned a stronghold yesterday with another 925. Not too much trouble. GM3 strongholds also doable, just slightly slower. If they keep the updates coming it might survive a while longer.

Muppet man

New update 1.5 released. There is now a legendary loot chest selling legendary weapons and gear at level 80 for your javelin. Guaranteed. Cost is 5000 minor crystals.

However If like me you had minor crystals banked from doing cataclysms and waiting to cash them in - then don’t get your hopes up too far ... all my minor crystals - 100000 of them - are gone.

Anyone know Where I can Send a “Fu(k you EA” email to?

:(

Muppet man

• Advertisement

Muppet Man wrote: »
    New update 1.5 released. There is now a legendary loot chest selling legendary weapons and gear at level 80 for your javelin. Guaranteed. Cost is 5000 minor crystals.

However If like me you had minor crystals banked from doing cataclysms and waiting to cash them in - then don’t get your hopes up too far ... all my minor crystals - 100000 of them - are gone.

Anyone know Where I can Send a “Fu(k you EA” email to?

:(

Muppet man

So the only way to get minor crystals is from the store?

Havent played in a good while so unsure.

Thought i read somewhere the chests could only be bought with shards that had to be earned in game.

Would be a terrible decision to strip players of earned currency before launching the chest. I mean there was barely anyome playing the last time i logged on,stuff like that will finally kill it off i reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That is grim. As mentioned no-one is playing so there will be little to no outrage.

It's just one last move to drain the whales they have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Was sure this thread was bumped because of the newest Jimquisition video; a look back at Anthem and the problems around it

EoinHef wrote: »
    So the only way to get minor crystals is from the store?

Havent played in a good while so unsure.

Thought i read somewhere the chests could only be bought with shards that had to be earned in game.

Would be a terrible decision to strip players of earned currency before launching the chest. I mean there was barely anyome playing the last time i logged on,stuff like that will finally kill it off i reckon.

Sorry - you earn Minor Crystals like before from the current seasonal event and spend them at the seasonal store in the castle in the various chests that are available. So the Echoes of Reality cataclysm event is closed and a new event has been created in release 1.5.0 called "Season of the Skulls".

Any crystals you had farmed and stored from the Echoes of Reality cataclysm are basically wiped clean. So my hours of grinding to earn crystals to spend on things that might be worthwhile in future updates are basically gone.

Apparently, people were warned about this on Twitter (which of course I dont use/read) and also on the EA community cortex, whatever the fu(k that is. First time I've heard of it anyway.

Ah, honestly, I'd say I'm done with the game. Its hardly worth grinding for stuff you want to buy in future releases if those future releases are going to wipe your efforts.

Muppet Man.

Ah man that sucks and just alienates the players that are still playing the game.

Also not a fan of these companies releasing info on social media,tell me whats going on in the game i bought not on some platform that has zero to do with the game.

Considering how the game has done you would think they would change these sorts of things to get players playing the game or keep active players playing. After all you cant make money from zero players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

EoinHef wrote: »
    Also not a fan of these companies releasing info on social media,tell me whats going on in the game i bought not on some platform that has zero to do with the game.

the hardest trophy for me to get on Borderlands 3 was opening the chest with a gold key. "A swift code" I'd say, like I knew what the other person was talking about.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    the hardest trophy for me to get on Borderlands 3 was opening the chest with a gold key. "A swift code" I'd say, like I knew what the other person was talking about.

He he,i had to google how to open the golden chest after intially thinkin something would happen further on in the story. Saw rolands chest and couldnt get too it aswell,so that reinforced the idea i must have to get further on in the game!

Im not on social media anymore really,well unless you consider a barely used reddit account and my account here on boards,so ive no interest in having to go looking for this info on those platform. Even if you are on them and subscribe id wager your going to get a load of advertising garbage inbetween the stuff thats relevent to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ Dean Chubby Economist

Penn wrote: »
    Was sure this thread was bumped because of the newest Jimquisition video; a look back at Anthem and the problems around it

Harsh but true.

What a flop on so many levels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Let me guess he says "live service" in a squeaky voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

It really would take something spectacular to save this now; having read the patch notes for 1.5 and the new season, spectacular isn't a word that comes to mind.

Similar to Destiny in its first year, the game effectively needs a re-launch, Taken King style, to stand any hope of garnering enough interest for the game to even stand a chance of regaining a healthy player base.

It genuinely feels like Bioware are being told by EA to do the bare minimum to keep the game alive just so they don't have to face the bandwagon of hate they would come up against were they to kill the game now.

I started playing Destiny 2 again last night after a 12 month hiatus and its worlds apart in terms of quality & content from Anthem. Funny how you get used to something and think its great, despite the obvious bugs and lack of content. Its a shame really - I think most of the pain points are ironed out, there's just nothing to play really with Anthem.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I think they'd almost be respected more to just call it quits and pull the plug. Who knows, maybe we'll get a FF14 style reinvention and they'll actually build on the enjoyable combat/flight mechanics, while removing the vast quantities of absolute bonkers design decisions.

Kiith wrote: »
    I think they'd almost be respected more to just call it quits and pull the plug. Who knows, maybe we'll get a FF14 style reinvention and they'll actually build on the enjoyable combat/flight mechanics, while removing the vast quantities of absolute bonkers design decisions.

I certainly think there would be a portion of rational people who would respect them if they just held their hands up and admitted defeat. I still think those people would be drowned out by the "I told you so" brigade who wanted the game to fail from the start before it was even released.

Not to mention the likes of Mr Sterling and Skill Up/Laymen Gaming who would undoubtedly relish the opportunity to celebrate the game's demise even further. Jim in particular really annoys me these days; we get it Jim, you hate live service games and microtransactions, a lot of people do, especially in the case of the latter. But his hatred for both concepts now seems to permeate everything he does, even when covering games that contain neither he can't help but use other games doing things right as a platform to continue his live service/MT crusade....Tiresome really and a shame as I used to turn to his channel regularly until he became a broken, obsessive record.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,216 ✭✭✭✭Penn

goon_magee wrote: »
    I certainly think there would be a portion of rational people who would respect them if they just held their hands up and admitted defeat. I still think those people would be drowned out by the "I told you so" brigade who wanted the game to fail from the start before it was even released.

Not to mention the likes of Mr Sterling and Skill Up/Laymen Gaming who would undoubtedly relish the opportunity to celebrate the game's demise even further. Jim in particular really annoys me these days; we get it Jim, you hate live service games and microtransactions, a lot of people do, especially in the case of the latter. But his hatred for both concepts now seems to permeate everything he does, even when covering games that contain neither he can't help but use other games doing things right as a platform to continue his live service/MT crusade....Tiresome really and a shame as I used to turn to his channel regularly until he became a broken, obsessive record.

Have started going off him a bit myself, especially when his Borderlands 3 review was just a catalogue of everything Randy Pitchford has ever done, with a "Yeah, gameplay is alright" thrown in. Plus his videos seemed to have jumped to 20+ minutes as a default over the past few months.

That said, Anthem is a pretty good example of the things he becomes a broken record about. A live service game with a roadmap which, due to bad reviews and a whole bunch of issues, abandons the roadmap and has to spend so long fixing the issues with the game that they can barely provide anything for those who want to keep playing the game as a live service.

Have started going off him a bit myself, especially when his Borderlands 3 review was just a catalogue of everything Randy Pitchford has ever done, with a "Yeah, gameplay is alright" thrown in. Plus his videos seemed to have jumped to 20+ minutes as a default over the past few months.

That said, Anthem is a pretty good example of the things he becomes a broken record about. A live service game with a roadmap which, due to bad reviews and a whole bunch of issues, abandons the roadmap and has to spend so long fixing the issues with the game that they can barely provide anything for those who want to keep playing the game as a live service.

His Borderlands review was pretty cringeworthy alright. It was like he was almost, and a great example of my growing fatigue towards his content. Even videos on relatively positive topics become additional avenues for him to moan about ****e he hates.

I'm not for a second saying his opinions are wrong though, his video on Anthem was pretty spot on and in general I agree with his opinions. I just wish he wasn't becoming so one dimensional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭nevelator

Let me guess he says "live service" in a squeaky voice.

I set it to 2 x playback speed - so it was really high pitched!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kiith wrote: »

FF14 is an pretty unique, even the like of ubi who stick to it and build something out of their games that didn't hit the ground running is odd.

The fact EA has pulled the plug is odd for them.

Fixing issues or creating content they need to actual be able to fund it. The problem with microtransaction financed DLC content/live service is that if the numbers and on going revenue isn't there then that roadmap goes out the windows. The likes of BF V is a great example it's live service has been dismal, older games in the series even when they had serious issues at the start and falling player numbers at times they still had a decent bit of new content as EA could count on X number of hardcore players to buy the €15 dlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Just picked this up on PS4 for €16 in Smyths. Has patching post lunch improved the player experience? I know it was somewhat infamous at launch...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611f6c0e582e811b07d28632a918bb46fe82ab2fb16&rid=giphy.gif

sticker wrote: »
    Just picked this up on PS4 for €16 in Smyths. Has patching post lunch improved the player experience? I know it was somewhat infamous at launch...

Thanks

Haven't played in a while but last I played they had certainly made a good few quality of life improvements that improved the game and cut out a lot of unnecessary time spent in menus and the like. Previously the game was very disjointed and you spent a lot of time in loading screens as menus and missions loaded; a lot of that has been cut out.

As for the game itself though, content wise it still leaves a lot to be desired. They have gone from having a roadmap to a drip feed of seasonal events that don't promote long term engagement in the same way similar games do. For 16 quid though you can't really go wrong; you will have a decent time playing through the story missions, and the process of running strongholds and seasonal content once you hit end game is fun whilst you gear up the different javelins which there is 4 of. Not really much to add beyond that, it's a decent looter shooter that reveals itself to have a pretty shallow end game once you have been at it for a while and you will likely drop it and move on fairly quickly after that.

Negatives aside, the core gameplay is still some of the best, if not the best I have experienced in the looter shooter space to date, so it is definitely worth the price you paid for it in that respect. The actual combat and act of flying is hugely satisfying and should keep you entertained for a decent while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

goon_magee wrote: »
    Haven't played in a while but last I played they had certainly made a good few quality of life improvements that improved the game and cut out a lot of unnecessary time spent in menus and the like. Previously the game was very disjointed and you spent a lot of time in loading screens as menus and missions loaded; a lot of that has been cut out.

As for the game itself though, content wise it still leaves a lot to be desired. They have gone from having a roadmap to a drip feed of seasonal events that don't promote long term engagement in the same way similar games do. For 16 quid though you can't really go wrong; you will have a decent time playing through the story missions, and the process of running strongholds and seasonal content once you hit end game is fun whilst you gear up the different javelins which there is 4 of. Not really much to add beyond that, it's a decent looter shooter that reveals itself to have a pretty shallow end game once you have been at it for a while and you will likely drop it and move on fairly quickly after that.

Negatives aside, the core gameplay is still some of the best, if not the best I have experienced in the looter shooter space to date, so it is definitely worth the price you paid for it in that respect. The actual combat and act of flying is hugely satisfying and should keep you entertained for a decent while.

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated :)

sticker wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated :)

Agree with goon Magee above .... but I wouldn’t hold out much hope for a good multiplayer experience on the various multiplayer content pieces (strongholds).. player count is down significantly and matchmaking might take a while.

There’s probably a good few weeks or a months worth of entertainment before you will get bored. Gameplay itself is very very good and the open world spaces and enemies look fantastic.

Muppet man

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Totally agree, ive pedaled this point from the very beginning on here and got **** from a certain a few along the way but i know looter games better than most, ive them all and continue to play them constantly on all formats covering all genres and have done so for longer than i remember.

In a way this amazing aspect of the game makes the rest of the experience, the devs issues etc all the more galling as its such a huge shame.

Personally speaking i only played via origin access so i didnt pay big for the game which im fine with but feel bad for anyone who paid full price.

You should have tried liking No Mans Sky when it came out,now that was some sorta crime on here:P

This game was similar though,some people were offended that others liked the gameplay.

The campaign was decent but the end game was terrible. Cant really bring myself to go back and play it now but i was happy playing it at the time. Just felt there wasnt much worth doing after the campaign and a few stronghold runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Dcully wrote: »
    feel bad for anyone who paid full price.

You shouldnt, how many times EA gotta burn people for them to learn a lesson? :p

Advertisement