Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Treppen wrote: »
    Is there any deal for new contract?
    9mo half price, but still working with rep on boards to verify its in place. as said before gave notice to cancel, got a call back with offer, took it, and still got disconnected, so had to call back and according to them they had to issue me with new contract, said on the phone im still on deal and got bumped to 500mb, but havent had contract sent in with 500mb, just 360 as had previously so a bit annoyed to say the least, as been charged full months cost, so hopping next month will have half cash back :cool: its a limbo of mess ive landed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

eljono wrote: »
    I'm in a "live chat" now with VM trying to cancel my subscription on the back of the ongoing price increases.

Have been on the chat since 11:20, at 11:28 the first agent said they'd transfer me to a colleague. At 11:48, I was still waiting. I cancelled the chat and started a new one at 11:49. The second agent said at 12:01 they're also transferring me to a colleague.

So in 50+ minutes of being in the chat, they haven't taken my cancellation order, twice I've been transferred and twice I've been left waiting in limbo for someone else to handle it.

I find it laughable that Virgin Media have the gumption to continuously raise their prices, without improving their customer service levels or the TV service.

If the service was good, I could live with the price increase, but the TV box is rubbish, one of the worst UIs I've used in a very long time, so slow and laggy.

They're really hurting themselves in this market, Sky and Vodafone's offerings are better and cheaper. VM need to wake up and smell the coffee.

If anyone is thinking of choosing VM, don't!

It took almost 6 hours, but Virgin have agreed to cancel my contract. Moving to Vodafone in 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

I'll probably go with the vodaphone offer, can't beat that price and I'm sick of Virgin and their price rises every year.

Is the vodaphone broadband decent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

got them on WhatsApp today. got my bill reduced from current 59 to 32.50 for 6 months.62 thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭FaganJr

got them on WhatsApp today. got my bill reduced from current 59 to 32.50 for 6 months.62 thereafter.

On WhatsApp?? How did you do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭Jacovs

FaganJr wrote: »
    On WhatsApp?? How did you do that?

0896000016 is their official whatsapp business account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Be careful with the WhatsApp , I did that last year but needed to ring back to confirm. When I did the call centre said they had no note of the deal through WhatsApp and wouldn’t honor it. So had ages then to renegotiate the deal on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm seriously considering getting a Gomo sim for a tenner and a mobile router
    Looking at my usage bar one month where I was downloading a good few games I'm not hitting 80GB a month - will save me a lot of money
    Will lose my LL I've had for donkeys years but not worth it for the savings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

fritzelly wrote:
    I'm seriously considering getting a Gomo sim for a tenner and a mobile router Looking at my usage bar one month where I was downloading a good few games I'm not hitting 80GB a month - will save me a lot of money Will lose my LL I've had for donkeys years but not worth it for the savings

I use 900 GB so not an option...netflix sucks all the data..having a 4K TV does not help either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭torrevieja

What happens when you cancel your contract do u have to email them or do they cancel straight away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

I've let them know I'm cancelling and have a cut off date in next 2 weeks. Should I be expecting a call from them to offer me some sort of deal?? Been with them 3 years

It's a game of chicken in my head. Whoever blinks first loses....

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

I've let them know I'm cancelling and have a cut off date in next 2 weeks. Should I be expecting a call from them to offer me some sort of deal?? Been with them 3 years

Mine was cut off in the last hour and didn’t hear a word from them in the last 3 weeks so don’t hold your breath...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

them not blinking is probably good for you long term ¬

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Mine was cut off in the last hour and didn’t hear a word from them in the last 3 weeks so don’t hold your breath...

Good to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I didn't get any budging till the last day of the 30days and the offer was so pitiful that I switched to BB only. They now changed the price of that, I can now cancel that if I want.

They are literally doing everything they can do get people to leave, almost nothing to retain people. People need to take the hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

I cancelled last week. Got a call today, but I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

I've not many options in my area, no siro here yet.
    Neighbours have eir and sky but only getting around 20mb and constant drops/issues, where as I'm easily getting 100mb+ with virgin and never any issues, a I dont really want to leave but ave to play the game with them every year

Was on 9 months half price last year

This year got 6 months half price pushed for 9 again but no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Went to cancel today
    Best offer, remove the increase
    Then 56 a month
    Then 52 for 9 months
    No other offers available in my area (plenty of other providers cheaper tho)
    Cancelled! Virgin don't want to keep customers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Had tough battle there.

Only got €15 off for 9 Months off Naked250 BB
    €44 for 9
    €59 for 3
    Turns out my usages has been 1500GB :eek: for some months
    Average 870

Wonder what the fair use policy is on the others

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

I cancelled yesterday, I was only offered 15 off my bill, they definitely are not trying to keep their customers. I’m thinking of going with vf they seems to be the cheapest at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭bromley52

I've not many options in my area, no siro here yet.
    Neighbours have eir and sky but only getting around 20mb and constant drops/issues, where as I'm easily getting 100mb+ with virgin and never any issues, a I dont really want to leave but ave to play the game with them every year

Was on 9 months half price last year

This year got 6 months half price pushed for 9 again but no joy

I got the same after being on 9 months half price until August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Hi folks, after 3.5 years of being with Virgin Media involving regular battles over price hikes, quality of Horizon box etc, we moved to Vodafone Gigabit Broadband Experience 1000 + Vodafone TV (Siro)this month.

We had Vodafone Gigabit installed at the weekend and so far are very happy with it. Over wifi on my phone I regularly see download speeds of 190-320mbps and uploads around the 200mbps mark. We rarely saw these speeds on the Virgin Media 240mb package.

The Vodafone Gigabox app is also very good, giving you easy control of your wifi networks.

The TV box is miles better than the VM Horizon box which we found a pain to use as it was very laggy and unresponsive.

The best part, Vodafone Gigabit is costing €25 for the first 6 months and €65 per month after that. A huge saving over Virgin Media and for a much better internet and TV service.

If you can get SIRO in your area and want to leave VM, I recommend the Vodafone package we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

think the main reason anyone is with VM these days is there's no Siro/FTTH option to them.

TV service is and always has been pi$$ poor

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

bromley52 wrote: »
    I got the same after being on 9 months half price until August.

Cancelled after 20 years. Vodafone here I come

Just off the phone from Virgin for the yearly discount dance. Was the easiest this year I think!
    Got through to the Irish callcentre, straight away offered half price for 6 months with increase in broadband (wasn’t fussed on that but they always seem to offer it). Maybe could have pushed to 9 months but decided to just take the 6 with no hassle. Phone call was less than 5 minutes compared with multiple long calls in other years.

Our bill is usually 105 so getting 54 for 6 months now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

sillysocks wrote: »
    Just off the phone from Virgin for the yearly discount dance. Was the easiest this year I think!
    Got through to the Irish callcentre, straight away offered half price for 6 months with increase in broadband (wasn’t fussed on that but they always seem to offer it). Maybe could have pushed to 9 months but decided to just take the 6 with no hassle. Phone call was less than 5 minutes compared with multiple long calls in other years.

Our bill is usually 105 so getting 54 for 6 months now.

What phone no. did you call?

What phone no. did you call?

Just 1908 and choose the billing option. Think that was option 1 but definitely billing. Asked to talk to loyalty and he said he could help and offered that deal then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Got through to Cork Call Centre; posited that both Sky & Eir were offering €35 per month instead of my €59.50 which is going up to €62.50 on 1st of January; they tried fobbing me off by saying with Vodafone (who I hadn't mentioned but was going to look into anyway) & Sky they're both using Eir Network and so I wouldn't get more than 100 MB.

I replied that although I'm on 240 MB (+ Phone....) I'm not coming within an asses roar of that anyway & actually 100 MB'd be nice; with Ookla Speedtest j/n I got 53.16 D/L over Wi-Fi........with Ethernet Cable I might be in the 80s so them trying to do down competition when I'm not getting even the 100 MB they dissed is a bit daft.

So they've suggested €44 for 9 Months (€396) + back up to €59 for remaining 3 (€177) under Naked Broadband 250 MB Package; a total of €573........my current annual bill's €714 but with price increase to €62.50 it'll be €750........

Is that the best I'm likely to get with them???? Worth haggling any more for a further price drop; currently out of contract and with them 10 years next March so've no reason currently not to shop around and can cancel immediately with none of the 1 Months Notice too I think?

If they were to match Sky/Eirs €35 then fair enough; it's only another €9 per month price drop.....how likely is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭skippy15

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Got through to Cork Call Centre; posited that both Sky & Eir were offering €35 per month instead of my €59.50 which is going up to €62.50 on 1st of January; they tried fobbing me off by saying with Vodafone (who I hadn't mentioned but was going to look into anyway) & Sky they're both using Eir Network and so I wouldn't get more than 100 MB.

I replied that although I'm on 240 MB (+ Phone....) I'm not coming within an asses roar of that anyway & actually 100 MB'd be nice; with Ookla Speedtest j/n I got 53.16 D/L over Wi-Fi........with Ethernet Cable I might be in the 80s so them trying to do down competition when I'm not getting even the 100 MB they dissed is a bit daft.

So they've suggested €44 for 9 Months (€396) + back up to €59 for remaining 3 (€177) under Naked Broadband 250 MB Package; a total of €573........my current annual bill's €714 but with price increase to €62.50 it'll be €750........

Is that the best I'm likely to get with them???? Worth haggling any more for a further price drop; currently out of contract and with them 10 years next March so've no reason currently not to shop around and can cancel immediately with none of the 1 Months Notice too I think?

If they were to match Sky/Eirs €35 then fair enough; it's only another €9 per month price drop.....how likely is it?
    Ye I got this from them yesterday too 44 for 9months, but made sure they put in the virgin media sports app log in too, also chanced my arm to get a Google mini too as some offers on website, had transfer me through to another section to add that in, but eventually I gave up being on hold for that. Can also get 5e SIM for 5 months too so can add that in too

Advertisement