Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club Championships 2019-20

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Slaughtneil were beaten by Glen this evening in Derry Football championship.

It is their first ever senior county final which is hard to believe as they had a few players in the county team in 1993.

They play Magherafelt who are in the final for first time since 1983.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The Meath Senior Hurling Championship final will go to a replay after Kiltale and Kildalkey drew 1-13 apiece in the final in Navan yesterday. Kildalkey led for a lot of the first half and were 2 up at half time. Then they got a huge boost early in the second half when Kiltale and Meath corner forward Mark O'Sullivan was sent off. The gap remained tight until Kildalkey got their goal with 3 minutes remaining to go 5 up. It looked as though Kiltale's quest for 6 in a row was all but over. But they responded with 2 quick points to leave 3 in it going into injury time. Then a sideline into the Kildalkey box caused chaos and the sliothar broke to Jack Reagan who finished it to the net. Kiltale then amazingly went ahead straight away with a Reagan free.
    But Kildalkey were awarded a free with injury time nearly up and Paddy Conneely popped it over to earn the replay which will be played Sunday week.
    You'd have to feel that Kildalkey had their chance with being 5 points and a man up with time nearly up but they still couldn't see it out. I'd expect Kiltale to have enough to win the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Slaughtneil were beaten by Glen this evening in Derry Football championship.

It is their first ever senior county final which is hard to believe as they had a few players in the county team in 1993.

They play Magherafelt who are in the final for first time since 1983.

What happened there - that must go down as a big shock.
    So Slaughtneil are all in now for the hurling. What type of squad have they there now - will they be fit for Dunloy again assuming they beat Middleton and Ballycran respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Ballynacaragy won JFC, Caulry won IFC and Cullion won the IHC this weekend in Westmeath. All deserving winners from what I've heard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Dublin SHC heading towards predictable conclusion as revivified Cuala sweep all before them. Look better than ever and playing well within themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭conor05

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dublin SHC heading towards predictable conclusion as revivified Cuala sweep all before them. Look better than ever and playing well within themselves.

They look a great shout to win the All Ireland, a savage panel of players

• Registered Users Posts: 11,014 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Three days away still, and I know I won't get a good night's sleep for a while, but the Wexford senior football final is the main event in the county this weekend. It has all the tools to be a humdinger, with both Castletown and Gusserane averaging around the seventeen point mark in scores per game, but Gusserane have the leakier defence and more of a tendency to blow hot and cold.

Even though Castletown have the championship top scorer in their ranks (Ben Brosnan with 5-29), Gusserane have really hit their stride in the last three games, and have compiled 8-43 during that time-frame. They also have been something of a bogey team for Castletown in recent years-they beat them in the semi-finals of 2014 and 2016, winning the title in the latter year.

I love a good coincidental stat (perhaps to make myself more confident :D) and the only other time Castletown won the title in the first year of a decade, they finished that decade as county champions too (1970 and 1979). We last won in 2010, which was incidentally the last time Liam Sheedy won the AI (our manager from 2010 has returned too :D). Gusserane are going for their seventh title. If Castletown win, they will move to joint-top of the roll of honour with Volunteers (11)- although Vols last one came in 1956, and they have dropped down the grades since. It's going to be close and hard to call. I hope it's not though and we are comfortable winners, if only for my own health.

Ferns and St.Martin's clash in the first senior hurling semi-final on Saturday. Ferns have never won a senior, but by dethroning defending champions Naomh Eanna the last day, a lot of the hurling fraternity took notice. St.Martin's have been perennial favourites for a few years now, but there is a feeling that they are plodding along more than usual this season and haven't been as dynamic since a round one thrashing of St.Anne's. They also have injury doubts too, and if the two players involved don't make it, it tips the balance towards Ferns. I actually think Ferns will win anyway as they have had a full three weeks to prepare for this while Martin's had a gruelling football semi vs Castletown in the interim.

Rapparees and St.Anne's go head to head in the other one. St.Anne's sprung a surprise in beating Shelmaliers last weekend, and are back-boned by Dee O'Keeffe and Liam Og McGovern. They have improved immensely from an almighty hammering to St.Martin's in round one, and confidence is brewing. However, Rapps look better placed to win this one. They have been knocking on the door without reaching the final in recent years and have a good, young team led by Liam Ryan and Kevin Foley. Fancy them to win through to their first decider since 2001 (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

conor05 wrote: »
    They look a great shout to win the All Ireland, a savage panel of players

That's their goal it would seem. Not a chance they will be beaten in Dublin.

Kilkenny is worth watching as weather and other unfortunate circumstances have changed things slightly. By no means certain Ballyhale will come out of it and don't know enough about it to guess. Whoever it is and Cuala be likely to win Leinster. Galway seems unusually quiet in that no team is being talked up as being ahead of the posse.

Munster with Piarsiagh gone and Cork in a flux again it seems, hard to know. A team like Cuala then are probably well placed and unlike others have had this in their sights long way back.

Have seen them a few times in SHC and league and they look seriously good.

Don't mean to be agnostic, but with Kenny gone you might compare the fortunes of Dublin as compared to Cuala. Cuala obviously have a set up that is effective regardless now of main man. I think Kenny is struggling with a less positive overall culture in county. Or perhaps I am being pessimistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Not the highest of quality of games this Dublin quarter final between Judes and fairly recent AI winner. A little surprised with the small enough crowd attending this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Not the highest of quality of games this Dublin quarter final between two fairly recent AI winners. A little surprised with the small enough crowd attending this game.

Not surprising at all seen as the game is on TV it takes away all the neutrals. Same happened the Donegal games the other week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

Not the highest of quality of games this Dublin quarter final between two fairly recent AI winners. A little surprised with the small enough crowd attending this game.

Very poor crowd-but 5 o clock on a Saturday is hardly an ideal time for many. You’d wonder how much of an impact it being on the telly has had?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

What was St Vincent's form like coming into this game? they are awful today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,313 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not the highest of quality of games this Dublin quarter final between Judes and fairly recent AI winner. A little surprised with the small enough crowd attending this game.

Crowds always seem surprisingly poor enough any time I see Dublin SFC games on telly.

Given how the county team has been going in recent years you'd expect the club games to get a serious bump but not really.

I don’t see many more at any club games. People don’t care about club games for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I don’t see many more at any club games. People don’t care about club games for the most part.

Was over 6,000 was at a recent Cork semi final. At least this 2nd Dublin quarter final on RTÉ is better viewing so far but why have Dessie Dolan on both games (bad enough listening to him for one game)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

This is a cracking game

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Looked like a point.

How on earth the linesman thought McHugh worthy of a yellow for that is mind boggling.

Was he expected to just take it? Ridiculous officiating, he seen the whole things ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great game

"Incredible scenes" says Dessie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

This is a cracking game

Very true.

Get canning must think so as well - Everytime a player takes a shot at goal, canning says he "cracks it" :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Slattsy wrote: »
    How on earth the linesman thought McHugh worthy of a yellow for that is mind boggling.

Was he expected to just take it? Ridiculous officiating, he seen the whole things ffs.

Agree shocking decision. He was completely taken out of the game and was just trying to get forward in attack. No free given either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

What’s the story now with Extra time. Na Fianna still entitled to field 15 players right?
    But not McHugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Absolutely shocking decision to give a second yellow to Na Fiaana full forward at the end of the game. Should have been a free in for him and instead is given a yellow for trying to break free from a rugby tackle. I dont blame the ref as he was following the ball, it's the linesman looking straight at it that needs to give the ref some assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

What’s the story now with Extra time. Na Fianna still entitled to field 15 players right?
    But not McHugh?
    Thats right. back to 15 but no McHugh. I had mute Ger Canning and Dessie Dolan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Who is in the Dublin hurling final or is it over yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Did the ref not let them take the 45 from the saved shot on the goal?

Game over. Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

God. Dessie Dolan is do incredibly bad as a commentator.

"That's a massive score in the context of the game"

Jesus Dessie, ya think?

Square ball for the goal surely.

• Advertisement

kala85 wrote: »
    Who is in the Dublin hurling final or is it over yet

Bridgets n Cuala.

Advertisement