Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Severe Winter Weather, Snow/Ice - Sun 25th Feb (Onwards) ** READ MOD NOTE POST #1 **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Anyone know what caused the fire on My Brandon Kerry....

I heard its on fire lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

The sea is really coming alive. Looks like most in the east could do well in the next few hours

Most, or everyone bar wicklow town and Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Dublin 13 blizzard conditions the last 2 hours. Just died down. Never seen anything like it in my life. Went out for a walk in it. Was something else

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

irishfeen wrote: »
    Cork Snow shield still hanging around with vengeance throughout last night and today - while the rest of the county have been put under 5in of snow us poor folk up in North Cork have got basically nothing yet :( here's hoping tomorrow we will finally see something substantial.

24l65av.jpg

Thats the Galtee effect - Ye're being ham'mered by them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

Ludo wrote: »
    Red warning altered to include Cork and Waterford from now rather than from 4 tomorrow.

About time. I cant understand why this wasnt done this morning. The south coast from Roches point along Kinsale to Clon has had a huge amount of snow all day. The N71 was horrendous since early. Trucks jackknifing and cars being pushed on secondary roads as far north as Bandon. I measured 20 cm accumulation of snow at 6pm. Im generally not one of these people who goes on about the 'Dublin media' but watching thenews the focus is all Dublin and you understand why people say it.

Rant over! :-)

Im in rural Kinsale by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Streamers forming around that part of Wales jutting out that was causing us misery, looks like South Dublin could be in luck finally in the next ~2 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭thomil

Are we actually expecting a blizzard, like a snow storm? I work in the health service and I have to go to work. I am sick of hearing the while country is going to stop on Thursday from 4pm until fri 12 noon, what about all the people who cant stop and have to make journeys. The Taoiseach is not giving much information for those people only scaring the crap out of them. What can we expect Friday morning?

I feel your frustration. The current situation is that we have snow showers drifting across the country from east to west, driven by the cold Siberian air that has been nicknamed "The Beast from the East". It may look impressive to people who haven't much experience with snow, but is really not that extreme.

That will change tomorrow afternoon. A storm system named "Emma" will effectively crash into the cold air over Ireland. Emma is your typical North Atlantic low, with lots of moisture, and also packing some considerable wind speeds. When that hits the cold air over Ireland, the moisture that would normally fall down as rain will come down as snow, and be driven by gale force winds, according to the weather models that I have access to.

So, we're expecting VERY strong snowfall driven by gale force winds at temperatures slightly below, or around freezing. Even if it does not meet the meteorological definition of a blizzard, it will feel very much like one.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

Celbridge after the last shower

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

George Lee on RTÉ slipped in 25cm plus another 40cm Friday in the red zone. That’s on top of what’s fallen already. Heading for 80cm plus surely in places come Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Rikand wrote: »
    Thats the Galtee effect - Ye're being ham'mered by them ;)

Imagine what depths are actually up the Galtee's - it must be epic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bucketing down in Cork City now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

diarmuid79 wrote: »
    Celbridge at the moment ❄️❄️

Very windy too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

leahyl wrote: »
    Bucketing down in Cork City now

I'd nearly drive to the city to see it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Wind will turn back towards 080 degrees after midnight. And the forecase precip will go from almost zero to this:

hirlamuk-1-11-0.png?28-16

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Vxlks

Anything for south dublin yet? only had 1 good blizzard looking cenario so far.. now its all just patchy cloud...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Heavy snow and drifting here in Laois now

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

Are we actually expecting a blizzard, like a snow storm? I work in the health service and I have to go to work. I am sick of hearing the while country is going to stop on Thursday from 4pm until fri 12 noon, what about all the people who cant stop and have to make journeys. The Taoiseach is not giving much information for those people only scaring the crap out of them. What can we expect Friday morning? (on a practical level)

Its a very serious situation, and yes it is scary, especially for those in red warning areas. But the warnings are issued for a reason, not to scare monger. What's the alternative, have the relevant bodies (ME / Taoiseach) say nothing and let people go uninformed?

The information is simple, if you heed Met Eireanns warnings depending on where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Snowing has started in cork city again. It's such a beautiful sight I've just been lamppost watching all night basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

revelman wrote: »
    About time. I cant understand why this wasnt done this morning. The south coast from Roches point along Kinsale to Clon has had a huge amount of snow all day. The N71 was horrendous since early. Trucks jackknifing and cars being pushed on secondary roads as far north as Bandon. I measured 20 cm accumulation of snow at 6pm. Im generally not one of these people who goes on about the 'Dublin media' but watching thenews the focus is all Dublin and you understand why people say it.

Rant over! :-)

Im in rural Kinsale by the way.

Hang on, the Dublin Media do not decide what the warning levels are. Met Eireann decide that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

It's absolutely gorgeous.😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Fingers crossed the Irish sea pushes those streamers across

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Ludo wrote: »
    Red warning altered to include Cork and Waterford from now rather than from 4 tomorrow.

Where you see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

I went into my backgarden to measure the snow and now I feel bad for leaving footprints :(

18cm in total with drifts up to 30cm. My ankles downwards sank in the snow. I tried to limit my footprints. When I came back in, my feet were full of snow. I felt bad and chucked the snow on my feet and trousers into my freezer. At least it's gonna be there for years now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It’s soooo good! But I wouldn’t recommend you travelling lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

Are we actually expecting a blizzard, like a snow storm? I work in the health service and I have to go to work. I am sick of hearing the while country is going to stop on Thursday from 4pm until fri 12 noon, what about all the people who cant stop and have to make journeys. The Taoiseach is not giving much information for those people only scaring the crap out of them. What can we expect Friday morning? (on a practical level)

If you have to be in work tomorrow, and if you have to be in work on Friday (and many people do), then you really should consider bringing an overnight bag and staying the night tomorrow. I'm surprised your employer hasn't made arrangements for staff to do so. Many hospitals have made such arrangements for their staff, either on-site or in a nearby hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

It's just so meh here in Drogheda...raging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Sliamh mish Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

That is actually crazy snow out there now (D15) haven't seen snow like that since Val D'Sere!

Slightly further north of there but cleared my driveway earlier this evening. Pointless, it's totally covered again.

Actually it wasn't pointless as it was iceing up due to the traffic and messing about, hard to break up some of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Cleared a path for the dog to do her business earlier, over 6 inches cleared, 2 hours of snow and its all covered up now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement