Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disney+

• 05-11-2019 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Anyone know when Disney Plus is being released to Ireland and so we know the price?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Q1 2020, apparently and no word on the cost.

If you’re mainly interested in the Disney rather than the Plus, DisneyLife is available now with a good chunk of the same stuff and costs €6.99pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

That's a big delay. What other shows will people end up pirating that will be released on the US in between now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

I don't see the point in delaying the release for that length of time. Anyone who wants to watch one of their high profile shows will just pirate it well before then - The Mandalorian being an obvious example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I don't see the point in delaying the release for that length of time. Anyone who wants to watch one of their high profile shows will just pirate it well before then - The Mandalorian being an obvious example.

Maybe all they'd have would be the new original content, since it seems they still have contracts with Sky for some of their content

Better to launch a product with a proper lineup, than to ask people to pay when it would be fairly blank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

That may be the last people who have yearly subscriptions to Disney life. The similar, but inferior, streaming service they already operated this side of the Atlantic

That was never operational in the US so no need to wait

It is less to do with the Mandarolian and other Star Wars and Marvel original content. That’s the “Plus” in Disney+.

No, this is more to do with the real prize on offer to subscribers, and the one they can’t offer until that Sky deal expires - access to the library of Walt Disney Pictures animated classics. There will be a legion of kids out there pestering their parents to subscribe to get access to all of those classic animated films, and quite a few adults wanting to relive their childhoods too.

The Star Wars and Marvel properties are a great bonus, a Plus if you will. But this service is called Disney+, not Star Wars+ or Marvel+, and that’s not for nothing.

Disney have contracts with sky till then, when Disney bought fox, sky was sold to comcast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Is it possible to use proxy’s/VPN’s to sign up for this or is it gonna be blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

2 shows I saw reviewed so far got mixed to positive reactions. Lady & the Tramp live action movie and High School Musical: The Musical: The Series

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Brian017

biggebruv wrote: »
    Is it possible to use proxy’s/VPN’s to sign up for this or is it gonna be blocked

I can’t get it to work with my card. It seems they’re checking payment location rather than IP address location

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,720 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mod: a quiet reminder that discussion on how to get around geo-blocking is against the charter. So please don't.

charter: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122871
    New Additions - June 2009
    • Please do not discuss how to capture / download streaming content from any streaming video site. This includes YouTube, RTE Player, Google Video, Metacafe, Hulu etc
    • While we're on the subject, discussing how to bypass geographical limitations to watch streaming content is also a no-no (i.e. how to watch Hulu outside the US)

seems all the star wars movie are in dolby vision 4k HDR
    500 movies and 7,500 TV episodes

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-star-wars-original-trilogy-is-in-4k-with-dolby-vision-hdr-on-disney-plus

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Wish it was in time for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

peteeeed wrote: »

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-star-wars-original-trilogy-is-in-4k-with-dolby-vision-hdr-on-disney-plus

But can you watch every version of the original trilogy? Or do they just have the Hayden Christensen editions?

Is Buffy and angel on it since they bought fox they can show them there

Buffy is on Prime Video FWIW

CastorTroy wrote: »
    But can you watch every version of the original trilogy? Or do they just have the Hayden Christensen editions?

of course not , george is still alive & kicking

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Apparently there has been even more tweaks made to the movies. The infamous "Han shot first" scene has been edited differently yet again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hold up! :eek:

Can someone point me to where there's a version of Rogue One in 4K like that article says is already available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭splashthecash

This is getting better and better - all MCU films in 4K too...just need a new TV now for March 😂

This is getting better and better - all MCU films in 4K too...just need a new TV now for March 😂

I bet we won’t get a lot of stuff the USA one gets like for example the simpsons I bet sky has that locked down from appearing hopefully not though
    There really is no need for dvds and blurays when all these streaming services start popping up hopefully we will get hbo max too

A fun fact is that The Simpsons isn’t and never has been available on any UK or Irish on demand service. Including Sky’s (though of course they show it quite often on their linear channels). So hope that this might be its streaming debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I’m in the fortunate position of being able to watch it here. Anyway, very slick/easy to manoeuvre around service with a lot of the films in 4K/Dolby Vision. The Mandalorian looks great as it too is in Dolby Vision. The test will be how great or not the original programming will be going forward to retain and attract customers. Pity the Hulu bundle (including ESPN Plus) is not available here as in the US it can be got for $12.99 per month which will worry Netflix etc...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,720 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've read the subscribers so far in the US have counted in the millions; wonder how much the Mandalorian can claim of that. The real interesting figure will be the subscriber list at the end of the calendar year, the potential drop off once the SW show ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I’m a DisneyLife member, not a great selection but the kids love the movies, I got it because I thought it would move to Disney+ but with such a long delay my can it

I can’t watch frozen again

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I’m a DisneyLife member, not a great selection but the kids love the movies, I got it because I thought it would move to Disney+ but with such a long delay my can it

I can’t watch frozen again

We had it for a year (got it ‘free’ as part of a holiday we booked) and genuinely don’t think a single movie was added in that year

Lil’one did like the TV section but we cancelled after the year anyway

Disney+ looks a huge step up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've read the subscribers so far in the US have counted in the millions; wonder how much the Mandalorian can claim of that. The real interesting figure will be the subscriber list at the end of the calendar year, the potential drop off once the SW show ends.

Various news sources stating 10 million subs in the first week. While that seems like a lot, when considering the amount of content and popularity of that content, I would have expected way more subs seeing how low the price is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Venom wrote: »
    Various news sources stating 10 million subs in the first week. While that seems like a lot, when considering the amount of content and popularity of that content, I would have expected way more subs seeing how low the price is.
    And how many are doing a free trial and how many are on the Verizon deal where they also get it for free..

It's got a lot of older content, but it's thin on new content. I know many fans are happy with the new SW show, but it's only one episode so far too early to get any idea on the quality of the new shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

ixoy wrote: »
    And how many are doing a free trial and how many are on the Verizon deal where they also get it for free..

It's got a lot of older content, but it's thin on new content. I know many fans are happy with the new SW show, but it's only one episode so far too early to get any idea on the quality of the new shows.

Older content for sure but its almost all highly popular household names like Star Wars, Marvel, Disney, Simpsons, Pixar, Muppets and more, across TV and movies from the 60's to now.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/14/20913417/disney-plus-launch-lineup-marvel-star-wars-pixar-tv-shows-movies-simpsons-national-geographic

Advertisement