Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I am leaving Ireland in 2019

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

OEP wrote: »
    At the end of the day you'll find faults with every country. The Nordics have some of the highest rates of anti-depressant use and alcoholism in the world. In the US, unless you're born into a decent family you're absolutely screwed. Healthcare is a bigger shambles than here, the wealth divide is much, much greater. Spain has massive youth unemployment and salaries are crap. Germany and Benelux people are a bit boring if we're being honest. France is having lots of problems. The UK is a **** show right now and the list goes on. BUT if you're born into any of these countries (including Ireland, most western European countries, Australia etc.), you don't have it too bad at all. When comparing countries (in this case Ireland to other countries) we pick out the bad parts of Ireland and compare only to the good parts of the other country.

We're lucky that we have the choice to easily emigrate to other places, and I think everyone should at least spend some time living and working somewhere else. You then realise that everywhere has good and bad sides.

We are lucky we have choice here to emigrate to other places and this is definitely a positive.And you are right lots of other countries have problems but in some areas we seem to be going down the tubes here things the op mentioned in his first post like health and housing and then we have fairly poor public transport especially if living in rural Ireland and then just in general living costs are very high here. It's understandable why people would want to move to a more affordable place rather than just be a wage slave with very little in return.It could be so much better here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rdsopix

theguzman wrote: »
    Ireland has Nordic Taxation levels and developing country levels of public services.

Taxation is theft because you pay for nothing other than lies from corrupt politicians.

Sorry to see you leave, after the Irish society paid for your hospital at birth, your education, the roads you used, safety, safety standards, etc.

Where are you moving to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

You're deluded if you think that life in other countries is better than here or that you won't encounter any problems or that you will be wealthier or necessarily happier but good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

pauliebdub wrote: »
    You're deluded if you think that life in other countries is better than here or that you won't encounter any problems or that you will be wealthier or necessarily happier but good luck.

I dunno tbh. The nod and wink, backslapping culture here is pretty fcukin draining. There's a hell of a lot of Irish people who thrive in another country and I reckon the country itself doesn't really matter, it's just a case of literally anywhere else. Hence life definitively can be better with all the associated bells and whistles not present in the soggy island.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think that's more of a holdover from the imperial / metric system of measurement.

No it isn't, it's straight out protectionism originally designed to feather bed Irish manufacturers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It would be something if the OP was off to somewhere in Europe, Australia, New Zealand, the States or Canada, but they are supposedly off to Qatar.
    Yep the future hosts of the world cup that has cost the most in lives.

FFS to bitch about Ireland, claiming you are leaving to go somewhere better and then in the next post say you are off to Qatar has to be a bit of a pi**take.

Anyway just for the Op here are some rules for expats in Qatar.
    Although they seem to be a self anointed expert on all Middle East so probably know it all already.

1. No public displays of affection
    2. No shoulders or knees showing in public.
    3. No travel abroad, no buying car, no renting a place, no loans without your boss’s permission.
    4. No booze, well you can get a license to buy it with your boss's permission.
    5. No phones in the gym - not a bad rule if you ask me. :D
    6. No nudity in the change rooms - well for women anyway.
    7. Don't be sick or you won't pass the medical.
    8. Don't flip the bird whilst driving or even on social media.
    9. Don't complain or criticise the rulers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I see people would prefer to criticize the country I merely stated is an attractive option, I am not confirmed to go there merely thinking about it plus other countries.

Money and wealth is important to me and I don't care about Homosexual rights or if Nepali labourers get mistreated, not my problem, I look out for no. 1 and that is me and my legacy, saving wealth for my future and my children.

The traditional way of life in Ireland is totally under attack and you can't do anything here because everything is structured for the pigs in the trough. Taxes are far far too high when social spending should be vastly slashed and the public sector severely reduced and outsourced.

I don't even bother to complain about the weather because there is nothing I can do other than continue to fill my airmiles account to escape it as often as possible. Irish culture isn't as great as we think it to be, there is huge jealousy of anyone trying to do the right thing and a reverse type of snobbery. People can whinge all they want but personal responsibility is almost an unheard of thing nowadays as it is always someone else fault for everything. The pursuit of wealth and happiness in Ireland has been forgotten in the name of equality and diversity, basically drag everyone down into the gutter and let everyone be poor and miserable together.

The middle class in Ireland has been crushed and there exists merely the working poor and ultra-wealthy now, unlike the leftwing fools I don't begrudge or despise the rich, I aspire to better myself to be like them and with hard work and smart decisions anything is possible. For all the people who think Ireland is some sort of great place then they should buy some air tickets because Ireland is not a bad place at all but there is so much better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

I see people would prefer to criticize the country I merely stated is an attractive option, I am not confirmed to go there merely thinking about it plus other countries.

Money and wealth is important to me and I don't care about Homosexual rights or if Nepali labourers get mistreated, not my problem, I look out for no. 1 and that is me and my legacy, saving wealth for my future and my children.

The traditional way of life in Ireland is totally under attack and you can't do anything here because everything is structured for the pigs in the trough. Taxes are far far too high when social spending should be vastly slashed and the public sector severely reduced and outsourced.

I don't even bother to complain about the weather because there is nothing I can do other than continue to fill my airmiles account to escape it as often as possible. Irish culture isn't as great as we think it to be, there is huge jealousy of anyone trying to do the right thing and a reverse type of snobbery. People can whinge all they want but personal responsibility is almost an unheard of thing nowadays as it is always someone else fault for everything. The pursuit of wealth and happiness in Ireland has been forgotten in the name of equality and diversity, basically drag everyone down into the gutter and let everyone be poor and miserable together.

The middle class in Ireland has been crushed and there exists merely the working poor and ultra-wealthy now, unlike the leftwing fools I don't begrudge or despise the rich, I aspire to better myself to be like them and with hard work and smart decisions anything is possible. For all the people who think Ireland is some sort of great place then they should buy some air tickets because Ireland is not a bad place at all but there is so much better out there.

Are you still here?
    Agnes fukcing bored now so piss off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Income tax is 20% on the first €43,550
    What? Since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Taylor365 wrote: »
    What? Since when?

That's in jointly assessed cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Stanford wrote: »
    Great, a country where slavery is still legal,.....enjoy

Only an issue if you are a slave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

rdsopix wrote: »
    Sorry to see you leave, after the Irish society paid for your hospital at birth, your education, the roads you used, safety, safety standards, etc.

Where are you moving to?

Silly comment. Some of us still put a huge amount of money into the economy by way of cash going home to maintain our families there. We also spend lots of cash when we come home to visit. Each time I come home I drop a couple of thousand.

I probably put more into the economy cash wise than many people pay in tax.

You DO realise that during the period of 1920 to 1970 3 billion POUNDS was sent to Ireland by those people who had to emigrate? That figure does not include the cash that was sent to family through the post etc..etc.

You currently live in a country that would not be as wealthy without the support of people who emigrated?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

How about the Netherlands? Have heard good things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

zweton wrote: »
    How about the Netherlands? Have heard good things.

It would be a cool place to live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Is he gone yet???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Try_harder wrote: »
    Is he gone yet???

Try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

The very best of luck to you op. So many people can no longer see beyond their nose here because they are so caught up in actually trying to survive that bettering themselves becomes simply unattainable.And you are right diversity is just let's drag everyone down and be the same. Just look at the misery slot on the Late Late show every Friday night, no chance of letting people enjoy the show and relax after a hard week no people have to be reminded of misery everywhere we go it's like a national pass time, meanwhile we fail to celebrate enough the good.But at the end of the day everyone is an individual and not a clone of another and each should be given the opportunity to be their best and the best version of themselves but it's not like that here now.Backwards we're going not forwards.The number of likes to your post just shows how much your points have resonated with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭NSAman

I find it funny that those who keep saying "bye" are the ones I am sure will cry when things tank again as they inevitably will in Ireland. (There has been a pattern there for decades).

Personally, I have been through 3 "downturns" since I started working (not including the one that was there before I started working). My parents emigrated and came back to Ireland. They worked hard, sending money back to their parents, brothers and sisters keeping them in clothes and food etc.

I would never knock anyone trying something different. It is not easy to pick up sticks and start a life again in another country. Anyone who has ever tried it, knows how difficult it is to be thousands of miles from home, no family to turn to when times get tough. You get on with it all.

If the OP is pee'd off about tax, that is one issue. I DO understand how much of your paycheck goes to keep certain sections of society in a comfortable situation without any benefit to you. However, this happens almost everywhere.

I am one of the lucky ones, who has managed to thrive in my new homeland. I have done pretty ok, by all standards. Has this managed to dampen the missing of family? No. Has it made loosing a father while here easier? ABSOLUTELY NOT. While flights are easy, the phone is there to communicate, there is facetime and facebook etc... it still does not make missing a hug from your mum or siblings something you just want.

I understand home sickness more than most. I do understand that I have amazing friends here. (I have people who literally would put themselves in the line of fire for me... not that I would ever let them do that)

There are great things about every country. There are things that P*SS you off about any country. You weigh the pros and cons of anywhere. I love being here for the following reasons:

The ability to have made an amazing standard of living.
    The yes attitude that pervades
    The lack of an "oulde" bohys network.
    The sense of freedom that I feel (no speed traps in cameras)
    The ability to just DO things without being judged on failure.

Things that I hate about here:

The lack of empathy for people in general.
    The sheer lack of medical coverage for people.
    The astronomical cost of educating kids to a bad standard.
    People HAVING to work two or three jobs
    Family units being broken apart wholesale by divorce, employment and economic issues.

Like everywhere, you make the most of it. You thrive in the environment if you work hard and have luck. As I said I AM one of the lucky ones.

Still want to go home (even if part-time) shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

There is this article quoting a Credit Suisse report; struggles of what they call "unlucky millenials" are quite common (especially in North America)
    https://bigthink.com/robby-berman/global-wealth-inequality-is-even-worse-than-we-thought-millennials-are-the-new-peasants

The Credit Suisse report summarizes, “Millennials are doing less well than their parents at the same age, especially in relation to income, home ownership and other dimensions of well- being assessed in this report. While Millennials are more educated than preceding generations…we expect only a minority of high achievers and those in high- effectively overcome the 'millennial disadvantage.'"

- If OP is same generation, this can be a risk by default, everywhere they would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

mvl wrote:
    There is this article quoting a Credit Suisse report; struggles of what they call "unlucky millenials" are quite common (especially in North America)

But wealth trickles down, so it's all probably just stuck in sorting offices around the world, it ll be resolved eventually

• Advertisement
Advertisement