Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda shoots dog in Longford

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Shur when has the truth ever mattered in these cases? Trial and conviction by social media as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭emptyhouse2222

generic traveller-bashing post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Fordcspri23

Shur when has the truth ever mattered in these cases? Trial and conviction by social media as usual.

You’re the cool Buford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Whatever about him shooting the mans foot but only a physcopath would murder a dog

• Registered Users Posts: 33,008 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Man shot, dog killed, thread in AH. Probably an exhilarating day by Longford standards.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Longford cops aren't taking any shlt. Shoot yo in the foot motherfcuker.

"Things are quiet around here. And we want to keep it that way"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Pretty hard to tell whats going on but it looks like the dog might have gone for the cop, you can see that something is pulling on his tie and he shoots downwards at whatever is in front of him. You can't actually see the dog at any point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Not sure if I can post the video here so I'll erron the side of caution & not post it.

I'm long over due a holiday from after hours

That said I don't think it breaks the rules.

Pretty hard to tell whats going on but it looks like the dog might have gone for the cop, you can see that something is pulling on his tie and he shoots downwards at whatever is in front of him. You can't actually see the dog at any point.

I believe there was no dog involved in the video.
    The dog had already been killed earlier in the incident before the recording.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Even with the limited view, you can get an idea of what went on. Garda involved in standoff, somebody or something gets a hold of Garda and pulls on his tie, Garda shoots dog to release.

If Garda felt he was in fear for his life, then it should be justified, but whatever happens he will be sandbagged for the rest of his career for taking the shot. In the meantime a load of people will have successful compo claims.

/edit, based on the above, I may be wrong then.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong too. I just can't see or hear a dog at any point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

Perhaps the traveller while he strsngled the cop with one hand gripping the tie - he grabbed for the gun or ended up grabbing the trigger finger with his other hand. Firing the gun In an ironic twist of faith injuring himself.

That will be the official version. Either that or a warning shot that ricochet'd.

The garda says the line "I'll put a bullet in him" so they will have to be a bit more creative than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,229 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Anybody get a clear read of the lettering on the van? Just in case I ever want fencing done I want to be sure I don’t accidentally call them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Grabbing his tie is hardly being attacked. Sounded like yer man was trying to pull him off in fairness.

endacl wrote: »
    Anybody get a clear read of the lettering on the van? Just in case I ever want fencing done I want to be sure I don’t accidentally call them.

Casey fencing? You just have to check if it's a registered business or a fake company name on the van.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

tuxy wrote: »
    Casey fencing? You just have to check if it's a registered business or a fake company name on the van.

Foxy haired guy seemed to be trying to attack the van driver.

You're right, the travellers do not own the van.

The van had been left with them for repair and it's claimed the detective is helping him get his van back after a dispute over the repair bill.

Ok, dog is there for sure. The detective said "get it to let go of me" when his tie was being held.
    I imagine the dog was produced to intimidate the detective and that's why the gun was drawn. The traveller seemed to lose control of the dog,
    Fairly unprofessional by the detective, no garda should take on a situation like this alone but it was self defence so I imagine the discharge of the weapon will be deemed legitimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Interesting that they all seemed to be on first name terms with each other, including the Garda.

• Advertisement

In a city it would be but It's not that unusual in smaller communities. I've seen a few disputes on the streets in a small town between Garda and Travellers both using first names. I've even been in a station while a traveller was shouting from one of the cells asking to be let out, using the first name of the garda :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

grab a man's tie when he's holding a gun you deserve a bullet in the foot.

"Ah me foot, Tom!" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

'Let's make a Longford everyone can be proud of'

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Ongoing history in that area.
    https://m.herald.ie/news/brutal-traveller-gang-are-suspects-for-bomb-left-at-gardas-home-34156792.html

The area and parts of north Roscommon had a high vote for Casey in the election. There's a reason behind it. Join the dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

PSA: Turn your volume down.

No idea what it's all over but the man is obviously trying to attack the van driver and the Garda is trying to stop it. When he gets the van door closed you can hear the man say "watch out watch out" This is apparently because a German Sheppard has arrived. We then see the Garda being pulled down by his tie. I think the dog has a hold of it. He warns the man twice to get the dog off him and then shoots the dog. The bullet appear to have gone through the dog and hit the man or hit the ground and ricocheted into the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Prediction: Garda is retired, people involved take thousands in compensation off the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Find it strange that a Garda would not use a clip on tie, there wouldn't have been a problem, other than the loss of a tie, if he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I don’t see any dog being shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,725 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Poor dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I don’t see any dog being shot.

Good morning Garda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement