Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

• 18-12-2016 12:09am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

With thanks to Atavan for a most excellent thread title, we begin again with the thread that points lazy people, who can't be arsed checking themselves, towards the best retro and arcade deals around.
    Woohoo, and stuff...

Link to the Past

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Hello Retro People,

I'm looking for a 13-14" CRT monitor for my 8-bit Atari computer (composite / s-video).
    In the order of preference:

- Commodore 1702
    - JVC TM-.... (some variations of this were used in CCTV systems in Ireland apparently)
    - Sony PVM/BVM

If you have something like this or saw something like this in a shop around Dublin, please let me know. (I looked a lot and found nothing so far)

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Adverts.ie might be worth checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Adverts.ie might be worth checking.

I'm doing that (and a lot more) since weeks now. Maybe someone here has one or knows about a physical shop that might have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

xboxdad wrote: »
    I'm doing that (and a lot more) since weeks now. Maybe someone here has one or knows about a physical shop that might have one.

Put up a wanted advert in the a&r marketplace as well http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1423

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

For much that is awesome and, importantly, affordable it is important to just be patient, eventually everything turns up, or at least most things do.
    The older a thing is, the fewer working examples remain.
    I fear just how many collectables, including computers, consoles, displays, software and accessories got chucked in recycle bins, skips or ended in a landfill.
    So, no easy one stop shops for retro goodness, unless you are going to spend big bucks on sources like eBay at buy it now prices.
    Just watch Adverts and Donedeal, trawl Sunday markets and charity shops, your efforts will pay off and the treasures be all the more precious for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I think there's some Aero City cab owners on here.

Three beautiful looking panels for sale over on j+. Bottom one is NOS

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=81235&title=fs-aero-city-aero-table-panels-street-fighter

iJQQCYe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

Not retro but assassins creed unity is 1.49 on cdkeys atm if anyone is interested. You could trade in your physical copy and get something retro i guess?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Super bargain for someone here
    A Sega Saturn, including a memory cart, 3rd party gun and a working unboxed copy of Marvel Super Heroes, and two first party controllers, plus scart and assorted leads, based in Kildare
    Only €40!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Golden Discs in Dundrum (one where HMV once was, not the Tesco thing they've going on) have last-gen and PS2 stuff for 5 games for 10 quid. Rake of shovelware, but I found it worth picking through.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Any luck with 3DS/DS games or no dice? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Actually picked up three DS games mesmeslf. There's a couple of 3DS titles in there, with one of the Laytons, I think, but it mainly consisted of DS, Wii, PS3, PSP, PS2, PC and 360. Couple of PS4 games there too (2-for-10er), but FIFA-calibre stuff, from what I saw.

The amount of shovelware you've to skim through is something else, but it's half the fun. Haven't seen this many copies of High School Musical 3 on the Wii since every f***ing charity shop in the nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

there's a German guy selling lots of the manual version of the Bandridge 5-way scart switchers, and the bidding is generally ending at under a tenner.

postage costs are on request, but if it's not too steep, there could be a bargain to be had

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BANDRIDGE-5-Way-Manual-Scart-Verteiler-Umschaltbox-Switch-Selector-Retro-Gaming-/262813416168?hash=item3d30e67ae8:g:BQsAAOSw5cNYf50X

(he also does a 3-way automatic one that tends to sell even cheaper)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The audio out on the front of them is really handy for tapping audio from a console when using a PVM/BVM that has no in built speakers.

Sure, I threw a bid down.
    Now, the rest of you feck off!

6/10 for €30
    linky dink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

hey that's me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    6/10 for €30
    linky dink

I used to own that, then BGO bought it, now he's doing a Cidey on it...

Inviere wrote: »
    I used to own that, then BGO bought it, now he's doing a Cidey on it...

I'd be more worried if it was a good game, like Legend of the Dragoon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd be more worried if it was a good game, like Legend of the Dragoon

Don't take the piss!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Don't take the piss!

Or Firewarrior

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Or Firewarrior

Ah here, leave it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

The Vectrex regeneration app is free on iOS!

Vectrex by Rantmedia Games
    https://appsto.re/ie/pQ9xG.i

Yeah yeah, its not as nice as the screen of the real deal but this app is actually awesome!

Its a virtual room you can navigate and see the boxes for the games in 3d models, you can play with overlays on or off the screen and its even got some of the flicker!

You can also watch vectrex commercials and read a bit of history.

As well as touch screen controls it also supports bluetooth controllers so it works beautifully with an iCade.

Its just a really nice way of playing the games if youre away from your own Vectrex, or its knackered or you never owned one!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

IOS though:(

Dr Bob wrote: »
    IOS though:(

Androids nail in the coffin for retro gaming is when the bluetooth stack no longer supported the iCade after Android 4 i believe.

Be like me and cidey and have the best of worlds, a not too expensive iPad, and a not so expensive Android phone!

I'd never pay 800 euro for a new iphone though, thats just crazy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Doge wrote: »
    Androids nail in the coffin for retro gaming is when the bluetooth stack no longer supported the iCade after Android 4 i believe.

Be like me and cidey and have the best of worlds, a not too expensive iPad, and a not so expensive Android phone!

I'd never pay 800 euro for a new iphone though, thats just crazy.

The icades control system is a terrible hacked together thing though ..it emulates a bt keyboard and sends 2 keypresses on each button press ..one to say button down and another different character to say button released. I was demoing the cardboardVR space invaders arcade game last year and used the cp from the icade as a controller ( I had to rewrite the ingame controls to match it so thats how I know.)
    I pulled the bluetooth board from my icade , binned it and slapped a 0 delay usb controller in there instead. (Ended up sticking a raspberry pi 3 into the mix and retrofitting a 10" vga monitor too).

I don't have a cheap phone either!
    I used to have a MotoG a while ago but graduated to a LG Flex2, followed by a Nexus 6 and now a Nexus 6P!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

6/10 for €30
    linky dink
    Seems a good price for Gunstar Heroes...or it is because it's not boxed ?

I don't have a cheap phone either!
    I used to have a MotoG a while ago but graduated to a LG Flex2, followed by a Nexus 6 and now a Nexus 6P!

Boy, that escalated quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭Inviere

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Seems a good price for Gunstar Heroes...or it is because it's not boxed ?

Loose cart and torn label...still a good price though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I got that for a tenner in The Rage.

Just thought I'd put that out there :pac:

Advertisement