Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free unlimited virgin mobile for 2 months

Options
  • 13-01-2020 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Virgin Mobile is currently offering everyone the chance to try out their Mobile Unlimited plan.

Existing Virgin Media Broadband or TV customers can try the plan for four months for free. If you’re not a Virgin Media Broadband or TV customer, you can try the Virgin Mobile Unlimited plan for two months free.

After the free period expires customers will play €25 per month for the plan, which includes unlimited 4G data, calls and texts. The plan operates on a 30-day contract, so customers are free to cancel at anytime.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

richieb wrote: »
    Virgin Mobile is currently offering everyone the chance to try out their Mobile Unlimited plan.

Existing Virgin Media Broadband or TV customers can try the plan for four months for free. If you’re not a Virgin Media Broadband or TV customer, you can try the Virgin Mobile Unlimited plan for two months free.

After the free period expires customers will play €25 per month for the plan, which includes unlimited 4G data, calls and texts. The plan operates on a 30-day contract, so customers are free to cancel at anytime.

Or you could just try GoMo. €9.99pm for all calls,texts and 80gb 4g data for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Anyone considering this offer should have a very good read of this thread that started 4 years ago & still isn't fixed

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057519923

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Or you could just try GoMo. €9.99pm for all calls,texts and 80gb 4g data for life.

Some people wont touch Eir products based on previous issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

I took them up on the deal before

Herself on three with data no problem, im beside her and no data, much the same a lot of the time

Then some weird way they do direct debt(a month in advance I think) meant I had to wait a month after I left to get my bill and then wait a month to chase up the refund

Data also the reason I wont go to GoMo, speeds are crap, not good when you want to backup pictures to the cloud

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Changed over from a Vodafone and Eir account to the Virgin free 4 months offer.
    Now not getting any confo texts from my bank, rang AIB to be told it's a known problem with VM and she said it's been going on since November 2019.
    When I rang VM to complain, they were very sneaky and tried to say it was a
    new problem.
    When I mentioned AIB had told me it was going on since November, they changed tact and said it was a known problem and would be fixed asap!
    Never saw this thread until after I had ported over and had talked to VM.

Will be changing back over asap asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭ted1

richieb wrote: »

Not a bargain compared to GoMo.

jeffk wrote: »

Data also the reason I wont go to GoMo, speeds are crap, not good when you want to backup pictures to the cloud

Virgin are a MVMO who use the three network who are brutal. Eir are better.

I know plenty of people using it and have no problems with the speed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

ted1 wrote: »
    Virgin are a MVMO who use the three network who are brutal. Eir are better.

I know plenty of people using it and have no problems with the speed

I read was up to 10

Just checked on 3 I'm getting 26 indoors, so should be much more outside

That's easily over double the speed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

frash wrote: »
    Anyone considering this offer should have a very good read of this thread that started 4 years ago & still isn't fixed

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057519923

I'm with VM and have no issue getting these texts.

jeffk wrote: »
    I read was up to 10

Just checked on 3 I'm getting 26 indoors, so should be much more outside

That's easily over double the speed

Ah that’s a EU regulation for Networks. 3 advertise 10Mbs to

https://www.three.ie/legal/terms/mobile-network-speeds/

Actually speeds for GoMo and others are higher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Virgin mobile is fine, I have been with them on and off for years, taking up pretty much all and any of their free and very cheap deals. Reception here in Dublin (incl 3G and 4G) has been fine, but I can't vouch for reception in the middle of nowhere

Porting there and back has been painful at times though and their billing system is a nightmare. Currently still waiting on a hefty refund of their overcharges because they messed up big style :(

I've moved all my 4 sims (€9.99 all in each) to GoMo a few weeks ago, porting went fine, and I have no intention to move anywhere else again. Ever!

irishgeo wrote: »
    I'm with VM and have no issue getting these texts.

Some Gomo users are having the same problem of not getting these texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Definitely not a bargain , plus they work off the 3 network which has its problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭donnyvegas

castle2012 wrote: »
    Definitely not a bargain , plus they work off the 3 network which has its problems.

Switching for 4 months, saving €80 versus Vodafone X. Will switch again after 4 months.

Saving me €80.....definitely a bargain.

Definitely not a bargain

2 months unlimited calls, texts and data. Free, gratis, for nothing, with no strings attached.

How the hell is that not a bargain? :D

unkel wrote: »
    2 months unlimited calls, texts and data. Free, gratis, for nothing, with no strings attached.

4 months free if you have TV or broadband with them :cool:

donnyvegas wrote: »
    4 months free if you have TV or broadband with them :cool:

Tell me about it. I have taken them up on their free and almost free offers for many years now. And as soon as the trial is up, I'm gone again :D

When you can't get the bank text and get locked out of your online account.
    Couldn't carry round a card reader when I want/need to check my account online. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

VM mobile is far from unlimited ,
    Especially if your solely reliant on data with no access to fibre broadband, my OH has eir and gets twice the data allowance I get which is 40gb per month on a €60 contract

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭konline

Can VM SIM be used for tethering, does anyone know? Thanks

• Advertisement

okidoki987 wrote: »
    When you can't get the bank text and get locked out of your online account.

Surely that was sorted many years ago?

I've had no issues with 2 step verification with my virginmobile accounts. Use it for pretty much anything that needs tight security like online banking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

Changed over last year to Virgin Mobile last year

No data coverage in either the UK or in Spain. Didn't realise it when I arrived in the Uk and it cost me dearly. Google maps wouldn't work so I ended up driving over a toll bridge over the Mersey in Liverpool on my way to Holyhead. Didn't realise that and got hit with a £20 fine for my trouble. Ended up buying a UK Sim in a garage in the uk to get Google Maps to work.

Anyway, I ended up missing my ferry and had to pay about £100 extra if I remember correctly, to go on the next sailing, which didn't leave until about 4.00am rather than the 21.00 sailing the night before.

So it was a very expensive free 2 months for me.

I voted with my feet and left.

Murt10 wrote: »
    Changed over last year to Virgin Mobile last year

No data coverage in either the UK or in Spain. Didn't realise it when I arrived in the Uk and it cost me dearly. Google maps wouldn't work so I ended up driving over a toll bridge over the Mersey in Liverpool on my way to Holyhead. Didn't realise that and got hit with a £20 fine for my trouble. Ended up buying a UK Sim in a garage in the uk to get Google Maps to work.

Anyway, I ended up missing my ferry and had to pay about £100 extra if I remember correctly, to go on the next sailing, which didn't leave until about 4.00am rather than the 21.00 sailing the night before.

So it was a very expensive free 2 months for me.

I voted with my feet and left.

Did you forget to turn roaming on?

Surely that was sorted many years ago?

I've had no issues with 2 step verification with my virginmobile accounts. Use it for pretty much anything that needs tight security like online banking

Unfortunately not.
    Ongoing problem for a lot (not all though) of AIB and Permo account holders getting the SMS texts since at least last November, according to AIB.
    Virgin customer support agent didn't have any idea when it would be fixed but said it was still under investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Databass wrote: »

Meh....

DATA USER PLAN. Vodafone. Unlimited calls, texts, 15GB of proper 4g data, and 100 international mins for 20 per month (28 days). No contract.

Best plan ever to be offered to the public IMO. I’m on it since launch and it’s bulletproof.

dodzy wrote: »
    Meh....

DATA USER PLAN. Vodafone. Unlimited calls, texts, 15GB of proper 4g data, and 100 international mins for 20 per month (28 days). No contract.

Best plan ever to be offered to the public IMO. I’m on it since launch and it’s bulletproof.

It's all subjective and depends on what you need. A lot of people would argue that Three's €20 offer is better than that, and others would say that Gomo's €9.99/€12.99 gives them everything they need. I personally think that Three's offer is the best for me personally but I'm on Gomo as Three's (and Vodafone's) signal is quite weak in my new house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dodzy wrote: »
    Meh....

I've moved from that plan to GoMo, half the price (actually less than half as a GoMo month is a calendar month so one less payment per year). Also Data User Plan doesn't include calls, just texts & data.

YMMV on the quality of the data service, but for my everyday use, GoMo is fine and no worse than Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

The comments on this thread speak for them self. Plenty of strings attached from what others are saying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

loyatemu wrote: »
    I've moved from that plan to GoMo, half the price (actually less than half as a GoMo month is a calendar month so one less payment per year). Also Data User Plan doesn't include calls, just texts & data.

YMMV on the quality of the data service, but for my everyday use, GoMo is fine and no worse than Vodafone.

Of course it does.

• Advertisement

The comments on this thread speak for them self. Plenty of strings attached from what others are saying

Like what?

Worked perfectly fine for me. Verification texts worked fine, 4G worked fine

Abroad, all data and calls roaming are included too, unlimited everything.

Completely free

No strings attached. But you have to switch away to another crowd again when the time is up, of course.

That said, I've now switched to Go Mo for good, as the savings are now very low compared to before and you have to be switching all the time, which is a pain.

Advertisement