Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Argos RIP thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Coill1

markc1184 wrote: »
    Can anyone remember if it was around this time the last couple of years that the Jean Paul Gaultier fragrances took a nose dive?

Yep - It was Argos who had it at less than half price as I recall, in & around Black Friday time (it was 3 years ago I think?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Nedtastic wrote: »
    Garmin 645 for €239

Cheers Ned, myself and two friends picked up the watch in Harvey Norman's at that price thanks to their price match promise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭Julez

Anyone know what the story is on the furniture deal? Adding product to cart and adding promo code doesn't do anything. FURN25 should take 25% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

You get the discount when you pay , just make sure you say about the discount beforehand, the staff are not allowed say it to you

Hmmm, ok, so cant buy online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

That’s the only way I have ever used a discount in Argos , I just reserved it and then paid in the shop , I have never ordered and paid online , I would just give them a ring their pretty good at sorting stuff over the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

Do they not state on their website that the online price had the discount already applied?
    Prices shown already include discount.
    You can quote the discount in-store to get the discount on the in-store price, but this will just allow you match the online price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I have a reservation code for a Samsung S10E Prism Green for €470 in Argos Tallaght.

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8828167

PM me if you want it.

Edit Edit, still available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Harry7

I have a reservation code for an LG 49SM8500 for €650 in Limerick Crescent Shopping Centre.

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&productId=1562568

PM me if anyone wants it.

kenyard wrote: »
    Do they not state on their website that the online price had the discount already applied?
    Prices shown already include discount.
    You can quote the discount in-store to get the discount on the in-store price, but this will just allow you match the online price.

Bit late now, however, I did have to go to store to get this offer. Catalog was same price as online, but when I quoted "FURN25" to the cashier a further 25% was taken off the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭jimmyjim11

any one know if checkargos will be back up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

jimmyjim11 wrote: »
    any one know if checkargos will be back up ?

I think a charge had crept in somewhere for the developer do it's been moth balled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

Argos have the Nikon Coolpix W150 listed at €13, which is a pretty price for the camera. Unfortunately it doesn't actually seem to be in stock anywhere:

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3286876/Trail/searchtext%3ENIKON+COOLPIX+W150.htm
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3261987/Trail/searchtext%3ENIKON+COOLPIX+W150.htm

Argos have the Nikon Coolpix W150 listed at €133.99, which is a pretty price for the camera. Unfortunately it doesn't actually seem to be in stock anywhere:

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3286876/Trail/searchtext%3ENIKON+COOLPIX+W150.htm
    https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3261987/Trail/searchtext%3ENIKON+COOLPIX+W150.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

Says 133.99 when clicking on the links

Says 133.99 when clicking on the links

Sorry, yes, that is what I meant to type (now fixed).
    That is €25-30 cheaper than anywhere else including Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭corkie

Not a bargin! Something I Resevered but changed my mind!

Acer Spin 13in Pentium Gold 4GB 64GB QHD 2-in-1 Chromebook 299/6198
    **Original Price €709.99 ~~ €609.99

is ready to collect in Cork Mahon Point until 02-01-20!
    Anybody interested in reservation number, please PM.

2996198_R_Z001A?w=500&h=500&qlt=70&prod-img-placeholder

Reason 2 expensive for what I want it for, and you can get (2 in 1) something with a proper OS for less money.

So I doubt anyone would be interested, is there a method to cancel it?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,789 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

corkie wrote: »
    Not a bargin! Something I re severed but changed my mind!

Acer Spin 13in Pentium Gold 4GB 64GB QHD 2-in-1 Chromebook 299/6198
    **Original Price €709.99 ~~ €609.99

is ready to collect in Cork Mahon Point until 02-01-20!
    Anybody interested in reservation number, please PM.

2996198_R_Z001A?w=500&h=500&qlt=70&prod-img-placeholder

Reason 2 expensive for what I want it for, and you can get (2 in 1) something with a proper OS for less money.

So I doubt anyone would be interested, is there a method to cancel it?

Just don't collect it?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Anyone know when the pre Christmas money back vouchers can be used?
    Mine mentions a handwritten 26th and 31st but don't know if that means only between Dec 26th and 31st or excluding those dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Weyhey wrote: »
    Anyone know when the pre Christmas money back vouchers can be used?
    Mine mentions a handwritten 26th and 31st but don't know if that means only between Dec 26th and 31st or excluding those dates.

Mine has the same handwritten note, but the printed text on the receipt that came with it says it expires on January 31st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭uli84

Is checkargos not working for everyone else or just me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not worked for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

uli84 wrote: »
    I believe the developer (witnessmenow I think) is too busy and stopped updating it a good while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭corkie

uli84 wrote: »
    beauf wrote: »
    Not worked for months.
    bromley52 wrote: »
    I believe the developer (witnessmenow I think) is too busy and stopped updating it a good while ago.

See this post, he is no-longer earning commission on links due to argos changing something.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭aidz

With checkargos down, is there any other website that tracks the price of an item from argos?

https://pricescanner.ie/#

Seems decent. Doesn't track stock though which is was so useful about check argos.

Argos site its pretty dire in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Howdy,

An update on Checkargos:

It is not currently working (as you know), two things broke with it.

Price history Database is full - We used a free instance of a hosted DB service and its full, it actually has been for quite some time but inexplicably they kept allowing us to go over the allowance :pac: . It finally stopped working before Christmas, this is probably what caused the site to go down in the first place. This functionality has since been removed from the site which brings us on to

Stock Checking is not working - Argos made a change at some stage, not to their code I think, but to their server. It was now rejecting requests for data without the User-Agent set (something we never did before). Setting a user agent seems to fix the problem locally, but as of yet it still not running on the server. Maybe they have IP address banned us again, honestly, I'm not sure.

I would prefer if CA was up and running, as I hate Argos' website, especially on mobile, but I can't guarantee it will. As mentioned in a previous post, finding spare time to investigate or tinker around with it is extremely challenging.

I'll update if there is any progress

Was a super idea and super site and the usability was so easy.

Argos should have brought it off you. It drove who knows how much sales to them.

Especially useful for clearing old stock inventory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Prime example of where CA being down meant a sale was lost. Looking for a TV and wanted to check a few stores (as the Argos site is terrible). Wouldnt work, so tried powercity and could check multiples stores. Bought it from them instead. @witnessmenow, hopefully you can get it working (and you should stick some google ads onto it to get some money :D)

Advertisement