Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Terminator: Dark Fate **Spoilers from post 983**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

T2 is where the rot set in. Making it 12 rating. Ordering the Terminator to not kill people. Rehashing the plot of T1 ending in a factory showdown. Cheesy humour.

Saying that it is still very enjoyable. Arnie is iconic in it and Linda Hamilton was brilliant. But the subsequent films took all the bad parts and expanded them - more cheese, lowered rating, trying to one up the previous model, bad acting...

Jesus end it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Terminator 2 is a great movie but I also prefer the first, it's a far more sinister and menacing movie. T2 lost that and shifted radically in tone towards blockbuster action. As films go though, still one of the best sequels ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

py2006 wrote: »
    ..Yes it looks like it happening.

source
    latest?cb=20120616003315

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stacker Pentecost

Tony EH wrote: »
    I wasn't mad about it in 1991, never mind this morning. :P

You don't have to justify it. If you like it, you like it.

I think it's more a case of you having to justify not liking it! Hehe :)

Seriously, though T2 is a truly awesome film and a great sequel, one of the best ever sequels I believe.

I enjoyed the last film, but it didn't capture what made the first two films so memorable. Jai Courtney was dreadful. He's a terrible actor. I'm really looking forward to T6 and can only hope he'll grow into the role or maybe the script will suit him better. Just anything than what we got with Genesys as far as he's concerned.

Arnold is one of those people you never want to get too old for this kind of thing. He's something of an enigma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

A future war movie set in 2050 like t1 and t2 showed glimpses of please.

Trust me it's all the hardcore fans have been asking for years.

Hiding from hk's.
    surviving on rats.
    living in the underground sewars.
    despair, fear, nuclear winters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The 5th one although critically panned made $440m on a $155m budget so another one was inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

JustTheOne wrote: »
    A future war movie set in 2050 like t1 and t2 showed glimpses of please.

Trust me it's all the hardcore fans have been asking for years.

Hiding from hk's.
    surviving on rats.
    living in the underground sewars.
    despair, fear, nuclear winters.

That may be what the hardcore fans want to see but that's not what the general public want. Any Terminator movie not set in the 80's or modern day isn't going to rake in the big bucks. Genisys, set in modern day, made more than 100 million more than Salvation did. There is a reason. And people love Christian Bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Kirby wrote: »
    That may be what the hardcore fans want to see but that's not what the general public want. Any Terminator movie not set in the 80's or modern day isn't going to rake in the big bucks. Genisys, set in modern day, made more than 100 million more than Salvation did. There is a reason. And people love Christian Bale.

The Chinese box office is that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

It's probably impossible to make another decent Terminator movie.

The original was basically a routine '80's horror/chase movie where the unstoppable baddie chases the innocent girl. The twist was making the baddie a robot from the future instead of a Michael Myers/ Freddie Kruger type, typical of horror movies then.

The sequel succeeded because it was basically a remake of the first movie with the novelty being Swarzenegger was a good guy this time.

Trying to pad out what was a fairly thin backstory into further movies just doesn't work as evidenced in every Terminator movie since.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I still can't get over the dismissing of T2 in here. That movie wasn't merely a re-hash, it was stylishly filmed, it had wonderful action set pieces, it had some innovative and breakthrough effects. The T1000 was an awesome character played really well by Robert Patrick. Arguably one of the best action/sci-fi movies of all time.

It was such a thrill ride in the cinemas. Even the opening credits blew me away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wedwood wrote: »
    It's probably impossible to make another decent Terminator movie.

The original was basically a routine '80's horror/chase movie where the unstoppable baddie chases the innocent girl. The twist was making the baddie a robot from the future instead of a Michael Myers/ Freddie Kruger type, typical of horror movies then.

The sequel succeeded because it was basically a remake of the first movie with the novelty being Swarzenegger was a good guy this time.

Trying to pad out what was a fairly thin backstory into further movies just doesn't work as evidenced in every Terminator movie since.

Agreed.

Although I've always viewed 'The Terminator' as basically Cameron's riff on Ridley Scott's 'Alien' and it's story was essentially good for one shot. But that shot has been stretched out to ridiculous lengths now, that it's becoming a parody at this stage.

To me, though, this franchises biggest sin is its watering down. When I first saw 'The Terminator', it was a horror film, with some sci-fi elements. Much in the way that 'Alien' was. It's dark tone was what made it. The second one was just a dumb ass action flick, with a silly bad guy and Arnie wanting to be the hero he played in a dozen other dumb ass action flicks. Enjoyable for what it was, but not a patch on the original.

They really should have just left it at that, because there was nowhere else to go with the story, except into the future with John Connor, which they tried and failed, because the well was already poisoned by then.

The Terminator franchise has outlived its welcome a LONG time ago and needs to be put out of our misery, cos it isn't going to get better. The last go around (really a reboot) was especially atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm probably the only person I know who kind of liked the one with Christian Bale... :/

I would have liked to seen where that would have went...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

I think that I am the only one who liked T3, TS and TG. Genysis I thought was very good while T3 is the worst but still good enough.

Obviously there no where near the standard of the first two but I feel they were unfairly disliked because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Last one was an absolute pile of dog sh1t. Should have stopped after the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭weemcd

deadybai wrote: »
    I think that I am the only one who liked T3, TS and TG. Genysis I thought was very good while T3 is the worst but still good enough.

Obviously there no where near the standard of the first two but I feel they were unfairly disliked because of this.

T3 and Genysis were decent in my opinion and probably as good as each other in terms of quality in general.

I can't have Salvation though, it started so well and unravelled into an unfathomable mess by the end.

Ps I'd happily watch another Terminator, must finish the series also as I thought it was pretty decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

weemcd wrote: »
    T3 and Genysis were decent in my opinion and probably as good as each other in terms of quality in general.

I can't have Salvation though, it started so well and unravelled into an unfathomable mess by the end.

Ps I'd happily watch another Terminator, must finish the series also as I thought it was pretty decent.

The series was actually great. Pity it got the chop.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The latest one is the worst, its a joke of a film, zero redeeming qualities at all. Ill never forget the way the cinema was groaning at several points in it, it is absolute dogsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Todd Gack wrote: »
    The Chinese box office is that reason

How can over 1 billion people be so horribly, horribly wrong?

How hard can it be to not have such collectively awful taste? I mean they're right by Korea and Japan ffs, it's not like they have any excuses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Thargor wrote: »
    The latest one is the worst, its a joke of a film, zero redeeming qualities at all. Ill never forget the way the cinema was groaning at several points in it, it is absolute dogsh1t.
    It was the worst movie of 2015 for me, and the worst movie I have seen in 4-5 years. I didn't see the latest Die Hard which is apparently maybe even worse, but I have to agree - I would actually consider giving it 0/10. Maybe 1 for effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,945 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mackenzie Davis is in negotiations to join the cast of the new Terminator” movie.

Tim Miller is directing, with James Cameron and Skydance’s David Ellison producing. Skydance is also financing the pic.

Billy Ray has signed on to polish the script that is based on a story conceived by Cameron, Miller, and Ellison.

Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger are returning to the franchise. Plot details are being kept under wraps, although Cameron has said that the film will be a direct sequel to “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” since he played no part in the recent installments.

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/mackenzie-davis-terminator-reboot-1202719960/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Plot details are being kept under wraps, although Cameron has said that the film will be a direct sequel to “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” since he played no part in the recent installments.

That's the best you could ask for. I really hope that they do the character John Connor justice because they made a mess of it after T2!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's all well & good trying to distance himself and claim he had no part in the sequels, but Cameron had no qualms about shilling the fifth film and calling it a 'renaissance'.

Just wish they'd let the franchise die, it has had its time; I blame China here - didn't they prop up the box office takings for Terminator: Genisys (still a stupid name), with it otherwise being a big flop in all other major territories?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Linda Hamilton & Arnold Schwarzenegger returning, but with new faces to "replace" them in a rebooted franchise.

Definitely sounds like they're going to try and pull a Star Trek on it, we'll see 20 minutes of footage with Arnie and Linda before some monumental time-travel gimmick that resets everything and creates just enough changes for us to forget that Linda & Arnie were ever involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

seamus wrote: »
    Linda Hamilton & Arnold Schwarzenegger returning, but with new faces to "replace" them in a rebooted franchise.

Definitely sounds like they're going to try and pull a Star Trek on it, we'll see 20 minutes of footage with Arnie and Linda before some monumental time-travel gimmick that resets everything and creates just enough changes for us to forget that Linda & Arnie were ever involved.

I wouldn't like to see the whole film revolve around Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger but a sort of cameo appearance I think would be good as long as it was something relevant and not trying to fit them into the storyline for the sake of it.

Also i didn't find the time travel story gimmicky in T1 and T2 at all. It was in Genysis :/ but in T1 and T2, the charachters had depth and it was a great paradox.

I'm hoping that they will tell the story of John and his father Reese Kyle and the war against "the machines", that in T2, they somehow failed to prevent Judgement Day and maybe show how it came about. I can't remember but I think they tried to do that somewhat in the one with Christian Bale but it didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I didn't think Genisys was quite that bad but honestly an actual new sequel to T2 bypassing everything that's come since would be entirely welcome.

They need one new incredible solid building block from which to move forward with the franchise. Passable entertainment and all as it was, Genisys was definitely not it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thing is; why? Whatever about the quality of the final products, surely 5 movies in we've covered about as much as this story can stretch to, it's scarcely a world with a range of possibilities; the Sarah Connor Chronicles (in)famously tried to expand the story out a little, between the factions of Machines and some decent characterisations of the Connors themselves, but that was probably enforced by the nature of serialised television. Where else can the movies go at this point, beyond endlessly resetting the timeline every time the copyright owners need a bump in their bank account?

I can't see a reason for this new film to exist beyond pure, rampant greed over a vaguely cherished, but thinly sketched franchise, one that now arguably has had more bad iterations than good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Unpopular opinion here - i actually liked salvation, barring a few complete nonsensical bits like the giant mech being unheard & usb keys on the bikes, I felt it was pretty true to what was glimpsed at the start of the original movie. It was a pity they spoiled the one thing that would have been a major surprise in the trailer (sam worthingtons character being a terminator). It also ended on a note to suggest that Had John Connor been injured he could have had his consciousness uploaded into that endoskeleton, but we'll never see now as it'll never get a proper sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I too enjoyed Salvation, but I think they went a bit too action-friendly, over-arming the human resistance. It's pretty insane how quickly your aircraft will become unusable junk when your supply lines are gone. There's no way you'd still be running Navy Seals-esque Operations several years after nuclear oblivion.

Likewise with the Terminators it's almost like they were trying to capture some of the audience from Transformers with the array of robots they had. Why not just H-Ks

Overall it had a lot of potential and was about the closest aligned to T2 of any of the sequels. But it was riddled with ridiculous and ultimately unnecessary plot devices. A field heart transplant? C'mon. Keep it simple, stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭ T. Hanks^

I'm actually kind of excited about this now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Someone needs to Terminate this franchise and put it out of its misery and ours.

Advertisement