Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for subbing work

• 12-09-2015 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hello.
    Could anyone tell me if there is a centralised place to register as a sub teacher in Dublin? Or online with the Dept of Ed?
    What do teachers who return from abroad do to find a job? Just keep an eye on educationposts.ie as well as the newspapers?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

ETA this only applies to primary teachers, not sure if you are looking for secondary work.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭saythatagain

For post primary: ASTI have a substitution list you can sign up to. Register your details with your local education centre(s), they usually have a subs list also. ETB usually have a form you fill in aswell, if they need any subs, they go to that list.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

INTO branch secretary often takes numbers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Redser87 wrote: »
    ETA this only applies to primary teachers, not sure if you are looking for secondary work.

I'm secondary. Am I allowed to sub in primary schools?

Wexford96 wrote: »
    I'm secondary. Am I allowed to sub in primary schools?

Unless you also have a qualification in primary teaching, no, there are enough qualified primary teachers looking for subbing work that it is highly unlikely that you would be called even for the unqualified rate. If schools wish to take on an unqualified sub they have to jump through hoops to show that they could not find a qualified teacher, plus I think each school is limited to five days a year where the des will pay an unqualified sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Have you posted or dropped your CV into any schools?

All I hear is that there are hundreds of jobless teachers. Not one cv has come in the door this year.

You have to be proactive too.

Have you posted or dropped your CV into any schools?

All I hear is that there are hundreds of jobless teachers. Not one cv has come in the door this year.

You have to be proactive too.

That's a very good point. Should this be done after council membership is obtained? Or should teacher start visiting schools right now with CV's?
    Thanks.

Also, should a teacher visit the shool in person with CV, or is it ok just to send one in the post addressed to the principal?

Also, should a teacher visit the shool in person with CV, or is it ok just to send one in the post addressed to the principal?

Go in person, more chance of meeting the principal and them having a face to the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Go in person, more chance of meeting the principal and them having a face to the name.

If agree but if you can't I'd at least post one.

Please spell principal correctly and put your subjects in the first paragraph of a cover letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Try your best to pop in in person. When I subbed, I did the CV rounds in early September. At midterm, I emailed the school with a copy of my CV to remind them that I was still available.

Might sound like something simple, but print a small business card with your details and clip it to your CV. A few principals mentioned it to me that they thought it was a great idea. Meant that they didn't have to go rooting through the pile and that my details were easily accessible on their noticeboard.

Try your best to pop in in person. When I subbed, I did the CV rounds in early September. At midterm, I emailed the school with a copy of my CV to remind them that I was still available.

Might sound like something simple, but print a small business card with your details and clip it to your CV. A few principals mentioned it to me that they thought it was a great idea. Meant that they didn't have to go rooting through the pile and that my details were easily accessible on their noticeboard.

Great idea. Will get some cards printed immediately. Thanks for that smart advice. I'm also a fan of dropping in to schools. Takes time though. Managing to reach 5-6 schools per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

Great idea. Will get some cards printed immediately. Thanks for that smart advice. I'm also a fan of dropping in to schools. Takes time though. Managing to reach 5-6 schools per day.

Don't bother going and ordering them online though, Microsoft Publisher has some templates. Just stick in a nice simple clip art image with it and print on card.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭hockey21

Hey just wondering iv done all my cvs for subbing in just wondering do I find out the principals name for my cover letter for each school or do I just write dear principal? I'm going to a lot of schools???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

hockey21 wrote: »
    Hey just wondering iv done all my cvs for subbing in just wondering do I find out the principals name for my cover letter for each school or do I just write dear principal? I'm going to a lot of schools???

Find out their name from the website or DES schools list. It's an effort but makes it more professional. In doubt ring the school office and ask for the principals name before going in.

Find out their name from the website or DES schools list. It's an effort but makes it more professional. In doubt ring the school office and ask for the principals name before going in.

Yeah that's what I was thinking des has a list I'll put in the extra work hopefully get something

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tosh999

Website subteacher.ie is the first port of call for many DP's when looking for subs;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Don't send it to principal, CVs always take days to make it to me. I tried working my way through pile of CVs last week and struggled to get anyone available.

TheDriver wrote: »
    Don't send it to principal, CVs always take days to make it to me. I tried working my way through pile of CVs last week and struggled to get anyone available.

I'm going round the schools, I'm primary and try and meet the principal and hopefully get something iv moved county so difficult to get in :( iv also made business cards to stick in with my cv just hoping I get something :(

tosh999 wrote: »
    Website subteacher.ie is the first port of call for many DP's when looking for subs;)

Thanks I'm primary but that website looks great 😊iv signed up for text sub one text came through for September and I'm on into sub search which I'll turn on next week as I'm officially left my school from next week :)

• Advertisement

I'm going round the schools, I'm primary and try and meet the principal and hopefully get something iv moved county so difficult to get in :( iv also made business cards to stick in with my cv just hoping I get something :(

It's a tough time for subs, we have only had one in so far this year for one day in a medium sized school. Another tip is to have your cv, business card and garda vetting ready to go so if you are lucky enough to be fastest finger on text a sub that they will have your cv on file. This time last year was when I started picking up three days a week, I remember because it was just after the all Ireland football final!

tosh999 wrote: »

Most schools make their own sub list .

It's a tough time for subs, we have only had one in so far this year for one day in a medium sized school. Another tip is to have your cv, business card and garda vetting ready to go so if you are lucky enough to be fastest finger on text a sub that they will have your cv on file. This time last year was when I started picking up three days a week, I remember because it was just after the all Ireland football final!
    Great thanks yeah have everything in my cv all ready to go just hope I get something iv taken a huge chance left my permanent job to move county with my family been applying since May. Dint get many interviews so getting a bit worried have cv business card everything ready to go now so I'll visit all the schools next week fingers crossed I get something :)

Guys,
    Could anyone tell me how much approx a sub teacher makes per hour? Or how much a sub can expect for 22 hours per week?
    Also, are subs paid weekly or monthly? Does the school pay subs,or are they paid by the Dept.?
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Check the DoES website for pay-rates.
    You need to have something in your CV that makes you stand out from the crowd. Find it, highlight it and spread the word. Agree the best chance you have is get on your bike and meet as many Principals/DPs as you can. Looking at trends on education post.ie etc is not very helpful.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Having a car makes you stand out for one thing. It helped me get started because principal's knew I could get there quick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Having a car makes you stand out for one thing. It helped me get started because principal's knew I could get there quick.

Definitely. And you can have a wider scope of possible employers. Be prepared for long journeys.

katydid wrote: »
    Definitely. And you can have a wider scope of possible employers. Be prepared for long journeys.

Hey I'm new to subbing I'm just wondering how often should subs be getting work I'm just subbing day to day but this week very quiet I was expecting at least 3 days a week????? Am I setting myself up for a fall??????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Hey I'm new to subbing I'm just wondering how often should subs be getting work I'm just subbing day to day but this week very quiet I was expecting at least 3 days a week????? Am I setting myself up for a fall??????
    Impossible to know. The autumn is just setting in, so you'll find that more and more people will be out with colds and flus. Mind you, with the new sick leave rules, people are more hesitant to take certified days, so they will struggle into work where once they'd have stayed at home...

Just cross your fingers for a lousy winter :-)

• Advertisement

It's a lot quieter this year than other years. Last year I was working 4 days a week minimum. This year I've only got one day subbing a week. It's very hard when you've got bills to pay. Have you signed up for JSA , they may give you a payment for the days you don't work.

Advertisement