Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭bladespin

overmantle wrote: »
    All this talk of conversion rates makes me appreciate how easy it has become to holiday on mainland Europe, since the introduction of the Euro. Fluctuating exchange rates with sterling etc etc, as well as the potential of time, fuel and hassle, make me think it's hardly worth the effort of shopping in the north.

Don't overthink it, it'll be straight up either worth it or not, very obvious, worrying about a cent or penny difference is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Might be a good weekend to head north, going by the UK election exit polls.

Euro was over 88p a minute ago, if you can convert with revolut or something similar might be worth taking

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Might be a good weekend to head north, going by the UK election exit polls.

Euro was over 88p a minute ago, if you can convert with revolut or something similar might be worth taking

Yes, very good time. Clothes and shoes would be my own focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Official ECB rate today 88.5 pence.

89.61p today, highest in six months.

90p was reached during the last 12 months.

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/policy_and_exchange_rates/euro_reference_exchange_rates/html/eurofxref-graph-gbp.en.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I was hoping it might hit 90 today... Revolut currently around £0.8990

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Does anyone have any experience buying in next home in the north? Prices are much cheaper than the south.

For example a ceiling light we looked at is €265 in the south vs 200gbp in the north. Furniture has even higher savings, we could save €200 on a couch.

89.35p today, there is always a bit of trading/fallback when a currency reaches a local low or high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Aph2016 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience buying in next home in the north? Prices are much cheaper than the south.

For example a ceiling light we looked at is €265 in the south vs 200gbp in the north. Furniture has even higher savings, we could save €200 on a couch.

Yep, is cheaper, they can deliver to south as well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is it possible to do a click and collect for Sainsbury's in Newry or do you need a NI address? Thinking of doing a large shop and popping up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

Hogzy wrote: »
    Is it possible to do a click and collect for Sainsbury's in Newry or do you need a NI address? Thinking of doing a large shop and popping up

Don't think so. We'd hope to do one too, but it doesn't appear to be available anywhere in the north.

https://help.sainsburys.co.uk/help/delivery-collection/cc-where-when

I was hoping it might hit 90 today... Revolut currently around £0.8990

.9055 now

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭J_Dublin15

What these days is the conversion rate on AIB cards?

J_Dublin15 wrote: »
    What these days is the conversion rate on AIB cards?

Banks typically charge 1.75% after the Visa exchange rate.

https://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates

The Visa wholesale rate on 12-Aug is 90.5pence.

Then knock 1.75% off that to get the retail exchange rate.

GBP fell to 91.3 pence yesterday, yet another low.

Lowest in over five years.

Geuze wrote: »
    GBP fell to 91.3 pence yesterday, yet another low.

Lowest in over five years.

Will possibly fall a bit further too but if thinking of buying, buy now.

Anyone popping up to newry from Dublin soon and fancy picking up a bottle of whiskey in Sainsbury's :P

Anyone popping up to newry from Dublin soon and fancy picking up a bottle of whiskey in Sainsbury's :P

Will be up in a few weeks time but chances of your whiskey remaining intact are slim :P

Redbreast at 31 GBP is a bargain.

It's 60 euro in RoI.

.9212 now

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Redbreast at 31 GBP is a bargain.

It's 60 euro in RoI.

Thats EXACTLY what im going for lol!!!!

hahahaha

Anyone going up?

The Quays extension coming along nicely, the glass going on the canopy today. That opening in the Autumn and the pound going like it is there'll be a fair old procession of suvern motors heading north in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

The Quays extension coming along nicely, the glass going on the canopy today. That opening in the Autumn and the pound going like it is there'll be a fair old procession of suvern motors heading north in the coming months.

I was only wondering what it was looking like there at the minute, I'd though the works were a multistory car park I didn't know it was more shops. I'd say getting parking in the run up to Christmas there will be fun if the exchange rates stay as is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭youngblood

can anyone remember the rate the christmas there were queues going into newry etc?

Next Home coming down from Damolly and Marks and Spencer (inc food court) moving over from Buttercrane.

http://www.irishnews.com/business/2017/02/21/news/marks-and-spencer-unveil-plans-for-newry-store-relocation-939452/

The_Quays_-_1.jpg

Next_The_Quays.jpg

youngblood wrote: »
    can anyone remember the rate the christmas there were queues going into newry etc?

hit 0.97779 Dec08, the chart for 10 years.

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=EUR&to=GBP&view=10Y

youngblood wrote: »

http://www.ecb.europa.eu/stats/policy_and_exchange_rates/euro_reference_exchange_rates/html/eurofxref-graph-gbp.en.html

During 2008 the GBP fell sharply.

Jan 2008 = 74p

Min 2008 = 80p approx

Dec 2008 = 90p approx

24 Dec 2008 = 95p

29-Dec 2008 = 97.855 pence - highest ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

5500 wrote: »
    I was only wondering what it was looking like there at the minute, I'd though the works were a multistory car park I didn't know it was more shops. I'd say getting parking in the run up to Christmas there will be fun if the exchange rates stay as is

Id be heading to lisburn at christmas

No guarantee of parity guys or a worsening rate. If you've small items to buy, just to let you know:

A .90 STG rate is about £100= EUR111

A .95 STG rate is about £100= EUR 106

So the difference in rates on a £30 bottle of spirits will be less than 2 euro. There's was value already there in some spirits even 1 year ago due to a lot smaller NI prices as opposed to ROI price - just depends on the brand you're looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Remember that prices in the UK have gone up quite a bit in the last year.

I work with a company that buys from the UK and prices have increased by at least 10% from virtually every supplier due to their own cost increases as much product is made in china and bought in dollars.

Certainly in our case and in competitors, if it's £20 then euro price is €22.

Certainly there will be value in alcohol as tax forms a large part of the cost and its used as a loss leader - but don't make the error of comparing full local off licence price v a promotion price.

Plenty of promotional prices here too.

Advertisement