Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MotCE - To the Lakes

• 28-01-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭

Alexander waits in the lobby of union station, his contact is supposed to meet him in less than twenty seconds...

"Dobriy den', worried I would not arrive?"

The old man stands in cringy tourist shorts with an equally embarrassingly large camera about his neck.

"Bear you are looking even better than your profile photo. Here are the details..."

He hands Alexander small USB.

"...enjoy! Wait until you are on the train to read them"

He walks off and as he does he tips his hat to another younger taller man, though one who seems to one up him in the cheesy tourist stakes having come from Disneyland recently. This Goofy t-shirt wearer crosses the lobby and strikes up conversation with a young woman.

"Heta, this is the new friend we've picked out for you..."

She's shown a photograph of an attractive looking man in his forties, curly dark hair, sky blue eyes, strong hands and a suit that suggests wealth to match the looks.

"...yeah don't get too excited, the name is Stephan Fawkes head of development at Clarkson biotech, we have reason to believe he's carrying an early prototype of something nasty. Not that he intends to use it, but we need to know what it is. He probably won't be leaving his cabin much, so I suggest you make friends with the officer guarding the door.

Oh and..."

He hands her a credit card.

"...not to much alright"

Sean's superiors had left him all the details he needed. Sophia Abrigo, a minor attaché to the Spanish government was on the train and he was to make sure she made it to the other end alive. Who was a threat to her or why they never chose to tell him. Sometimes he suspected they didn't know.

Eli however had much more detail, he didn't work for a mere government after all. No, HAMMER was an organisation above any such national concerns. He knew there would be an attempt on the life of Sasuke Kobayashi. Not that Eli had to protect him. He just had to capture the assassin who would perform the kill, the dreaded Bloodroot. After or before they made the kill didn't matter.

Meryl stands at the ticket desk.

"Miss, your tickets miss, hello?"

Meryl is a bit dazed, there's something familiar about Eli, Sean, Heta and Alexander. The first people she might have recognised since she woke up.

"Miss? Miss?" Otto and Alexander wait behind Meryl hoping she takes her tickets quick enough. The two quickly recognise the martial training in the other, the subtle motions. Two people with such training boarding the same train. Coincidence? Unlikely, but each know they're here on nothing more than a simple holiday. Right?

Behind them the great detective Jacques Lefebvre stands. His guise as a simple librarian has no doubt prevented anyone from knowing who he is. The assassin Bloodroot, the possible attempt on Miss Abrigo's life, the executive Stephen Fawkes, the fact that something juicy is on Alexander's juicy, that the women in front of him recently woke up from a coma and is connected to all of this in some way. He knows all of this. How could he not, a little bit of judicious hacking of communications on his way here might have given him the edge, but he no doubt would have deduced it anyway.

And finally lugging her case into the lobby is Aurora. The taxi driver helps her with the second case and drops it in the lobby for her.

A nice simple relaxing holiday. She hoped for music, wine and love, but fate had something different in store for her....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

OOC (out of character - this is if you want to ask Four or someone else something as yourself, but not as your character): So Christopher is in the goofy t-shirt ,yeah?

Christopher flashes a charming smile at the young woman.

'Why g'day there Shiela. Are you for boarding this fine express train?'

Meryl takes her tickets and proceeds to the platform. She studies the ticket, looking for the details of her carriage/birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Sean gently approaches Meryl and asks if she's lost? Because she seems confused.

"It's nice to be nice sometimes" he says

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭tritium

Alexander lightly turns the usb in his hand before tucking it safely in a hidden inseam pocket of his jacket. Whatever’s on it it will be important, that much is clear. He considers Otto- other trained agents on a train points to something bigger going on but for now it have to stay a mystery. A mental note to look again at Otto later. Perhaps all of the passengers need the same......He stepped onto the train, hoping his contact had the sense to book him a private seat in the carriage where he could consider all of this....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Aurora makes a joke about not being a photon, and searched the face of her fellow passengers for recognition of her incredible joke. She was lonely since losing Tonto on the Cape.

• Advertisement

tritium wrote:
    A mental note to look again at Otto later.

OOC: That's such a ww thing to say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Jacques flashes a smile at Aurora's joke before settling down with his favourite book - the Great Gatsby. He brought a number of books on board, partially in order to keep up the pretence of being a librarian and partially because he actually enjoyed reading when there was some downtime during a case. He didn't want to go straight to his compartment because he was intrigued as to the behaviour of those boarding the train. He orders a cup of peppermint tea to sip as he reads his book and casually glances at the other passengers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Otto surveys his fellow passengers. He is not very impressed with what he sees.

As hula dancing is unbecoming, he decides to buy a toblerone from the trolley cart instead.

(OOC: Spreadsheet compiled! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Pter wrote: »
    OOC (out of character - this is if you want to ask Four or someone else something as yourself, but not as your character): So Christopher is in the goofy t-shirt ,yeah?
    OOC: The Goofy t-shirt guy is Molly's contact, sorry for the mix up

• Advertisement

Meryl takes her tickets and proceeds to the platform. She studies the ticket, looking for the details of her carriage/birth.
    The ticket indicates she's on the fourth carriage. Not first class, but definitely not shabby either, on most other lines the level of service would be first class.

Looking ahead she sees the fourth carriage is a bright blue colour. A few others have gotten on already but it seems she is well in time.

Fourier wrote:
    OOC: The Goofy t-shirt guy is Molly's contact, sorry for the mix up

OOC: No probs. You want me to remove my response post?

Pter wrote: »
    OOC: No probs. You want me to remove my response post?
    OOC: No it's grand it still works

tritium wrote: »
    Alexander lightly turns the usb in his hand before tucking it safely in a hidden inseam pocket of his jacket. Whatever’s on it it will be important, that much is clear. He considers Otto- other trained agents on a train points to something bigger going on but for now it have to stay a mystery. A mental note to look again at Otto later. Perhaps all of the passengers need the same......He stepped onto the train, hoping his contact had the sense to book him a private seat in the carriage where he could consider all of this....
    One of the attendents takes Alexander's ticket.

"Oh...executive, follow me this way"

He takes Alexander to one of the quieter carriages. There seems to be a large comfortable seat laid out for him with a side table.

An older gentleman smiles as he comes nodding at him from behind an newspaper. They are the only two here.

The attendant turns to him.

"Here's the internet password Sir and would you like tea or coffee while you wait before we leave?"

sullivlo wrote: »
    Aurora makes a joke about not being a photon, and searched the face of her fellow passengers for recognition of her incredible joke. She was lonely since losing Tonto on the Cape.
    Barney92 wrote: »
    Jacques flashes a smile at Aurora's joke before settling down with his favourite book - the Great Gatsby. He brought a number of books on board, partially in order to keep up the pretence of being a librarian and partially because he actually enjoyed reading when there was some downtime during a case. He didn't want to go straight to his compartment because he was intrigued as to the behaviour of those boarding the train. He orders a cup of peppermint tea to sip as he reads his book and casually glances at the other passengers.
    Aurora is directed towards the same cabin as Jacques, carriage five, second class.

Jacques is brought the peppermint tea promptly enough and as he observes Aurora everything he reads suggests an average person on holiday.

Aurora finds herself seated next to two prattling wagons tut-tutting at virtually everything in sight. She notices the man two seats away from her glancing up occasionally in her direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Heta smirks at her contact and tucks the credit card into her bra. 'Don't worry darling, essentials only, I promise'. She giggles internally and licks her lips.
    Taking a closer look at the photograph she memorises the face of her target then folds in in half and adds it to her bra pocket.

She spies a dashing young man in a train officers uniform and sweet talks him into carrying her bags. 'Thank you darling, I just couldn't possibly carry them myself with such a bad back. Can you bring them to my carriage, I'm not quite sure which one is mine'.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    She spies a dashing young man in a train officers uniform and sweet talks him into carrying her bags. 'Thank you darling, I just couldn't possibly carry them myself with such a bad back. Can you bring them to my carriage, I'm not quite sure which one is mine'.
    The young man is obviously quite taken with Heta.

"Ca...Carraige Four miss, I'll...eh of course the bags"

He directs her into Carraige Four, mumbling while showing her her seat.
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Otto surveys his fellow passengers. He is not very impressed with what he sees.

As hula dancing is unbecoming, he decides to buy a toblerone from the trolley cart instead.
    The trolley cart on carriage four fortunately carries toblerones. As he buys it he notices a very attractive young woman enter the train (OOC: Heta) and sits down just opposite him sharing the same table.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Aurora loves a guy who can read, and notices a stranger a few seats away reading “the great gatsby” and immediately draws parallels with the life she lived in Boston, and the stories of Scott Fitzgerald.

Aurora loves a guy who can read, and notices a stranger a few seats away reading “the great gatsby” and immediately draws parallels with the life she lived in Boston, and the stories of Scott Fitzgerald.
    An attendant passes her by.

"Anything you'd like to drink Miss before we disembark?"

She follows her line of sight.

"Or read? There's a small selection"

She hands her a pamphlet, it's mostly classic early 20th century material.

Fourier wrote: »
    One of the attendents takes Alexander's ticket.

"Oh...executive, follow me this way"

He takes Alexander to one of the quieter carriages. There seems to be a large comfortable seat laid out for him with a side table.

An older gentleman smiles as he comes nodding at him from behind an newspaper. They are the only two here.

The attendant turns to him.

"Here's the internet password Sir and would you like tea or coffee while you wait before we leave?"

Alexander asked for coffee, no milk, quickly keys the WiFi code into his phone, then acknowledges the other gentleman in the carriage “ a nice day to start a journey”

OOC : can I check the usb when ready or do I need to find a laptop/ phone connector?

• Advertisement

tritium wrote: »
    Alexander asked for coffee, no milk, quickly keys the WiFi code into his phone, then acknowledges the other gentleman in the carriage “ a nice day to start a journey”

OOC : can I check the usb when ready or do I need to find a laptop/ phone connector?
    OOC: I'll say the phone is usb capable

"Why yes it is. I've taken the journey a few times before, always a nice way to relax after a busy business year. You see I was involved in a complex exchange of oil drilling equipment that..."

The man begins to drone on at length about his company. The USB's contents come up on screen.

Bloodroot, one of the most lethal killers on the planet, is on this train on a contract kill and somebody from Clarkson biotech is here as well, a Stephan Fawkes.

Bloodroot has been hired by Clarkson biotech before. Orders are to kill Bloodroot and to determine whatever the Clarkson representative is up to. Once he finds that out, he is to contact his superiors for further instructions.

The French seem to have sent an agent to deal with Clarkson as well. A Heta Mari with no photo to go with her short profile. Might be an ally, or just get in the way. Alexander's superiors have allowed him to use his own judgement in that regard.

Sean gently approaches Meryl and asks if she's lost? Because she seems confused.

"It's nice to be nice sometimes" he says

“No, I’m ok. Thank you” she says, timidly. Meryl barely raised her head as she spoke

The young man is obviously quite taken with Heta.

"Ca...Carraige Four miss, I'll...eh of course the bags"

He directs her into Carraige Four, mumbling while showing her her seat.

The trolley cart on carriage four fortunately carries toblerones. As he buys it he notices a very attractive young woman enter the train (OOC: Heta) and sits down just opposite him sharing the same table.

Heta causally squeezes the officers bicep as he stows her luggage 'oh you are an absolute sweetheart. Thank you young man'. [OOC: Heta is around 28 so he's not much younger than her]

'Would you be a dear and get me a jasmine tea if such a thing exists on this train? I am parched after all that walking'. She bats her eyelashes and squeezes his bicep again.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Heta causally squeezes the officers bicep as he stows her luggage 'oh you are an absolute sweetheart. Thank you young man'. [OOC: Heta is around 28 so he's not much younger than her]

'Would you be a dear and get me a jasmine tea if such a thing exists on this train? I am parched after all that walking'. She bats her eyelashes and squeezes his bicep again.
    "Yes...I'm sure we have it..."

He runs off and returns shortly.

"Here Miss, your Jasmine tea, I'll ehm pour it...yeah pour it..."

He pours the tea looking at her while trying not to look at her too obviously. Failing of course.

"There. Is that all?"

Otto reads his newspaper. Alas there were no Germann papers available at the kiosk so he makes do with the Toronto Times. He casts a coy eye above the paper at the lady sitting opposite. ‘Young enough to my daughter’ he thinks. Yet as the minutes pass he finds that he has read the same sentence multiple times. She is proving unexpectedly distracting.

"Yes...I'm sure we have it..."

He runs off and returns shortly.

"Here Miss, your Jasmine tea, I'll ehm pour it...yeah pour it..."

He pours the tea looking at her while trying not to look at her too obviously. Failing of course.

"There. Is that all?"

Heta takes a sip and sighs, 'oh that just hits the spot, thank you sir. I didn't catch your name?'
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Otto reads his newspaper. Alas there were no Germann papers available at the kiosk so he makes do with the Toronto Times. He casts a coy eye above the paper at the lady sitting opposite. ‘Young enough to my daughter’ he thinks. Yet as the minutes pass he finds that he has read the same sentence multiple times. She is proving unexpectedly distracting.

Heta catches the man across the table looking at her above his paper and winks at him.

OOC: I'll say the phone is usb capable

"Why yes it is. I've taken the journey a few times before, always a nice way to relax after a busy business year. You see I was involved in a complex exchange of oil drilling equipment that..."

The man begins to drone on at length about his company. The USB's contents come up on screen.

Bloodroot, one of the most lethal killers on the planet, is on this train on a contract kill and somebody from Clarkson biotech is here as well, a Stephan Fawkes.

Bloodroot has been hired by Clarkson biotech before. Orders are to kill Bloodroot and to determine whatever the Clarkson representative is up to. Once he finds that out, he is to contact his superiors for further instructions.

The French seem to have sent an agent to deal with Clarkson as well. A Heta Mari with no photo to go with her short profile. Might be an ally, or just get in the way. Alexander's superiors have allowed him to use his own judgement in that regard.

Alexander wonders who Heta is. He considers the approximately 60 year old lady with a breathing complaint who had been on the platform :D. It could be a ruse but he notes they were heading off platform rather than to the train. Alexander resolves to keep his eyes open and his wits about him- French agents have a good reputation

Muttering about needing the bathroom Alexander steps out of the carriage. He pops briefly into the toilet to smash the usb stick and flush it away. Then he gets his bearings for the layout of the train, trying to figure where his target is likely to be located......

OOC: I'm stopping there for the night, if any of ye want to have your characters continue talking to each other, by all means do.

An attendant passes her by.

"Anything you'd like to drink Miss before we disembark?"

She follows her line of sight.

"Or read? There's a small selection"

She hands her a pamphlet, it's mostly classic early 20th century material.
    Aurora ordered a double espresso, and glanced at the pamphlet of books. Nothing jumped out at her, so she considered trying to catch the eye of the stranger reading a few seats down, perhaps to start a conversation about his book.

• Advertisement

Aurora ordered a double espresso, and glanced at the pamphlet of books. Nothing jumped out at her, so she considered trying to catch the eye of the stranger reading a few seats down, perhaps to start a conversation about his book.

The coffee was delicious, but it left Aurora needing the loo. She wandered through the train and came upon an engaged toilet. Hearing a flush she waited until it became available, and went in after a man, who was wearing a jacket with a tear in the lining, left. She usually tried to avoid using the toilet directly after a stranger, trying to allow time for the air to breathe, but something drew her to the toilet.

When she went in she checked the bowl (to make sure there were no hidden spiders), and was amazed to see a smashed USB key at the bottom of the bowl.

She hesitated briefly, but reached in to grab it. The pamphlet of books on offer didn’t fill her with inspiration, and despite trying to catch the eye of the man with the book, she could see herself getting bored on the trip. She decided to try occupy herself for a brief time, by trying to fix the usb and see what someone didn’t want anyone to know.

Advertisement