Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GRO Records

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Ha, they still haven't updated the banner with the message about new records in early 2019!!

Genealogy Forum Mod

The very first one I looked up has an index reference for a 1918 but no image. :(

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

pinkypinky wrote: »
    The very first one I looked up has an index reference for a 1918 but no image. :(

You might be able to work around that if you search the indexes and find another record from the same page or one with a similar page number.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Yes, I'll give that a try after I get all the others on my list. Typically, it's the only one of a person I'd actually met - my great-aunt.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »

Just found myself in the same boat - born late 1918 so registered early 1919 - hence no image!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Yup I can see the image for my great-grandfather civil marriage cert from 1867 is finally available.

BUT :( images still missing; for example, I just checked death records from the 1870s, none have images.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »

BUT :( images still missing; for example, I just checked death records from the 1870s, none have images.

P.

They weren't included in the update - deaths from 1879 still.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Website very slow. Must be getting slammed.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

So slow. I've got a headache waiting for the page to open. I'm going to leave it for a few days and hope it will settle down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

Yes, very slow. I will also wait a few days. But I'm also a bit disappointed about the early deaths not done yet. That is my primary search period. Still, it's a great gift for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Will images be added at some time?

We can only presume so...

They very under-resourced and not a priority. Think about the fact that we're only getting 2017's release now (albeit with 2018's).

The early marriages and deaths are important but we can still access them the old-fashioned way. I have a list of all the BMDs I need to get (constantly updated) and pay for the ones that are important.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Something else I wish they'd do is put the search box that you enter the names into at the top of the page instead of below the long list of reg districts. Makes no sense to have the primary piece of information demoted to third place.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭p15574

Hermy wrote: »
    Something else I wish they'd do is put the search box that you enter the names into at the top of the page instead of below the long list of reg districts. Makes no sense to have the primary piece of information demoted to third place.

And get rid of the initial captcha and name entry on first search. Does anyone actually enter their own name? I think "a a" has done most of my searches. If they really wanted names they should make you have an account and sign in before being allowed to search.

Yes, it would have made far more sense to have people sign into an account rather than the half-hearted sign-up they provided instead.
    Though by signing into your Gmail account you can at least avoid the dreaded Captcha.

Genealogy Forum Mod

How does the gmail help? I'm always signed into my gmail account but still have the captcha.

Genealogy Forum Mod

When I click the I Am Not A Robot bit while logged into Gmail it bypasses the Captcha altogether.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Hermy wrote: »
    When I click the I Am Not A Robot bit while logged into Gmail it bypasses the Captcha altogether.

Interesting. I hadn't realised that was the reason why I no longer had to solve the Captcha. I've always been logged into Gmail while using the website since the civil records were available. In the early days I did need to always solve the Captcha but it hasn't been necessary for a long time. I thought that it may have been related to IP address or something like that but I tried searching on a different browser and it made me solve the Captcha so you seem to be right.

I feel cheated! I'm always logged in!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Hi all, has anyone ever contacted irishgenealogy.ie if you find a record and the name of the person and details is not on the scanned record if you know what i mean.

Record link below when i download image, that name is not on it. I have reported the issue but never hear anything back. thanks.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details-civil/e294a15517883?b=https%3A%2F%2Fcivilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie%2Fchurchrecords%2Fcivil-perform-search.jsp%3Fnamefm%3DElizabeth%26namel%3DBudds%26location%3D%26yyfrom%3D1911%26yyto%3D1917%26type%3DD%26submit%3DSearch

Have you located the correct image?

It's page 465 but they link to page 463.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭JDERIC2017

Thank you Hermy

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

Hi all,
    Is anyone planning to visit the GRO research room on Werburgh Street today or next week?
    I need to have a birth date in 1966 checked out for a friend. It won't require a photocopy as I'm sure the birth date is noted in the index pages.
    I would really appreciate it if you'll be there. I can PM the details if you let me know.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

Is anyone having a problem with irishgenealogy.ie today. I can't get up the usual search page that allows you put in a name, reg district and year range?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

There was an outage earlier this evening. It recovered. It is gone again.

This is the 3rd time in the last month that I've seen an outage (I never saw one before).

Yes, problems today and yesterday. Various people discussing on twitter. It extends to the NAI's genealogy websites too - all hosted on the same servers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Happy New Year to all on this forum and thank you for all the help in 2019.....

BowWow..

ps - You didn't think there was a download announcement? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

BowWow wrote: »

ps - You didn't think there was a download announcement? :D

No, barking dogs seldom bite :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

josip wrote: »
    No, barking dogs seldom bite :)

Woof, Woof.

Advertisement