Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir Customer Service

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Comreg (the supposed regulator) are just another useless toothless quango with a CEO and office full of staff- pointless.

The eir issue has been there for years regardless of who has owned them, only way to teach the clowns is to fine them say if a query is unresolved in 90 days. €10k or something, hit them where ot hurts, they would soon properly deal with customer complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I contacted the CEO on Twitter, issue sorted in 4 hour's..

Truckermal wrote: »
    I contacted the CEO on Twitter, issue sorted in 4 hour's..

You're lucky- loads of people have done that and nothing, in fairness she must get bombarded.

It shouldn't take that either....

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Frankie19 wrote: »
    I'm hoping the end result is that Comreg are finally given the proper powers to end this type of behaviour seen in the industry
    Dont forget comreg IS the companies just like self regulate the poor
    fire hazard and leaking appartment blocks along with school walls.
    FF\FG deliberately over the years failed to ensure criminal and monetary
    sanctions on the abusers of the citizens.
    All for profit and political favour of vested interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭feelings

I see ComReg is being provided managed IT services by Evros... a company soon to be owned by Eir.

I am sure "measures" will be put in places to ensure no conflict of interest :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

silver2020 wrote: »
    you can fill out an online cancellation. They will ring you to confirm, but it does state cancellation is 30 days from submitting the form
    https://www.eir.ie/support/online-forms/cancellations/

Forget about calling them
    I called their 1905 Customer care number 4 times today. After going through the options the call kept dropping on their side.

Called them again at 18:25 and after going through the options again it said that the line was closed despite it being shown online that the line is open Mon-Fri (9am to 7pm).

The above link not working for me... Getting the below message when I follow the link
    "Sorry, something went wrong
    We can’t seem to find the page you’re looking for… It might have been moved or deleted. If you typed the URL in the address bar, please double-check that you typed it correctly."

Anyone know if it is possible to give notice of cancellation online or via email and if they could provide link/ email address please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

I called their 1905 Customer care number 4 times today. After going through the options the call kept dropping on their side.

Called them again at 18:25 and after going through the options again it said that the line was closed despite it being shown online that the line is open Mon-Fri (9am to 7pm).

The above link not working for me... Getting the below message when I follow the link
    We can’t seem to find the page you’re looking for… It might have been moved or deleted. If you typed the URL in the address bar, please double-check that you typed it correctly."

Anyone know if it is possible to give notice of cancellation online or via email and if they could provide link/ email address please?
    ****show of a pretend customer care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I was looking to see if I was due an upgrade.
    Link on the website doesn't work.
    Phoning customer service doesn't work.
    Online chat support doesn't work.
    Rang my local EIR shop and was sorted in 15 minutes
    (due an upgrade but not worth it)

Hi all, Just to give an update I eventually found a number that got me through to cancel my contract and it is 1800 924 409 (not even sure where I got it at this stage as I was so addled by it all, but suffice to say it does not appear to be readily available online).

Low and behold the first person I spoke to was able to do what I wanted them to do and little or no wait time getting through which was refreshing.

At first he offered me the same package again for €59.98 pm (€10 pm more expensive than what I was paying last year). I said no and he brought it down to €49.98 pm (the same as what I was paying last year). I said no and he brought it down to €39.98 pm. I went with that as I probably won't do any better - Lets call a spade a spade there is no extraordinary provider out there. Also didn't want the hassle of having to port over my phone number to pay as you go or an alternative provider as the contract runs out as depending on my phone for work.

What I got in the end does just seem to correlate to what's available to new customers online - broadband, phone line, free calls and texts on mobile to national mobiles and landlines, EIR sport and Amazon Prime.
    Shame on EIR that they didn't provide me with the last price sooner.

I'm still within the 14 day cooling off period - unlikely I would get it any cheaper of them?

Hi all, Just to give an update I eventually found a number that got me through to cancel my contract and it is 1800 924 409 (not even sure where I got it at this stage as I was so addled by it all, but suffice to say it does not appear to be readily available online).

Low and behold the first person I spoke to was able to do what I wanted them to do and little or no wait time getting through which was refreshing.

At first he offered me the same package again for €59.98 pm (€10 pm more expensive than what I was paying last year). I said no and he brought it down to €49.98 pm (the same as what I was paying last year). I said no and he brought it down to €39.98 pm. I went with that as I probably won't do any better - Lets call a spade a spade there is no extraordinary provider out there. Also didn't want the hassle of having to port over my phone number to pay as you go or an alternative provider as the contract runs out as depending on my phone for work.

What I got in the end does just seem to correlate to what's available to new customers online - broadband, phone line, free calls and texts on mobile to national mobiles and landlines, EIR sport and Amazon Prime.

I'm still within the 14 day cooling off period - unlikely I would get it any cheaper of them?
    Only problem there is you'll still need to deal with them next year and this if anything goes wrong,
    seriously if I got offered it for nothing I'd decline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Only problem there is you'll still need to deal with them next year and this if anything goes wrong,
    seriously if I got offered it for nothing I'd decline

Agreed - I wouldn’t take a service from Eir even it was free ... I value my sanity too much!

That's true lads but also why I said lets call a spade a spade, there is no extraordinary provider out there. Or if there is I'd be keen to hear very positive experiences? Speaking to a friend she had a lot of hassle dealing with Vodafone when she had outages that severely affected her when working from home. They weren't at all helpful. I know too when I was with Sky for broadband it seemed to go down more often but maybe that was just as luck had it. Once it went down for a lot of a week with them. The wait times were nothing near as bad as with EIR as I recall and while they were courteous to deal with (and spoke English in an understandable manner) they could not provide me with an ETA. It wasn't good enough in my book and to be without it for that long and for them to be clueless.

Ideal case scenario is for nothing to go wrong and not to have to deal with them. When I took out the EIR package last year the mobile phone bundle did not go on at the correct price. They were pretty helpful at sorting it out for me at my local EIR shop. The chap had to make a couple of longish phone calls to sort it too.

Believe my lads I'm not in any shape or manner sticking up for EIR or batting their corner and I know there'll be a backlash against me following my commentary. The point I am making moreso is - is there a viable alternative that offers a good/ acceptable balance of customer service; value; dependability?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Don't matter who your provider is (excepting VM and Siro) everything has (Open) Eir as the backend
    Line breaks down - eir has to sort it out
    Their backend is atrocious and the software that plugs into it is buggy as hell

That's true lads but also why I said lets call a spade a spade, there is no extraordinary provider out there. Or if there is I'd be keen to hear very positive experiences? Speaking to a friend she had a lot of hassle dealing with Vodafone when she had outages that severely affected her when working from home. They weren't at all helpful. I know too when I was with Sky for broadband it seemed to go down more often but maybe that was just as luck had it. Once it went down for a lot of a week with them. The wait times were nothing near as bad as with EIR as I recall and while they were courteous to deal with (and spoke English in an understandable manner) they could not provide me with an ETA. It wasn't good enough in my book and to be without it for that long and for them to be clueless.

Ideal case scenario is for nothing to go wrong and not to have to deal with them. When I took out the EIR package last year the mobile phone bundle did not go on at the correct price. They were pretty helpful at sorting it out for me at my local EIR shop. The chap had to make a couple of longish phone calls to sort it too.

Believe my lads I'm not in any shape or manner sticking up for EIR or batting their corner and I know there'll be a backlash against me following my commentary. The point I am making moreso is - is there a viable alternative that offers a good/ acceptable balance of customer service; value; dependability?

Tbh and fair I find VF the best of a not very good lot ref PAYG, had issues for a few months ref siro but in fairness they didn't charge me a cent,

Their live chat is ****e, but the customer care team on twitter do address your issues.

Back to siro I'd minimum of 4different modems before a pair of "engineers" called
    Issues well and truly resolved now.
    Ps know it sounds rude but I realised that to get their notice instead of a DM via twitter I sent them a few public messages outlining my grievances this bucked them up

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had an account with Eir and its predecessors for nearly 50 years with not any significant problems. Then I tried to cancel - because they could not provide me with a service of any sort - and it was a nightmare, all the stuff listed here. I would be very seriously stuck before I would go back to them.

looksee wrote: »
    I had an account with Eir and its predecessors for nearly 50 years with not any significant problems. Then I tried to cancel - because they could not provide me with a service of any sort - and it was a nightmare, all the stuff listed here. I would be very seriously stuck before I would go back to them.

You should get a commendation for bravery at least sticking with that shower for that long

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Had an issue with Eir a while ago and went into one of their stores to try get it sorted as I was having no luck with doing it over the phone.

The guy there didn't even try to hide his surprise and told me that loads of people are going through the same thing. At first Eir tried to blame the whole COVID19 thing but it became very obvious very quickly that it's their whole setup.

Apparently they are trying to hire more staff to fix the issue but are struggling and are losing experienced staff at a rapid rate so I can't see this improving any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You should get a commendation for bravery at least sticking with that shower for that long

On that scale this is a quite recent problem with Eir. There was no issue with them till I wanted to leave, then it was absolute ignorant stone wall. In fact it was only down to the 'talk to' section in Boards that I got anywhere at all - the response was quick and positive, though it did result in yet another lengthy thread about the iniquities of Eir. They have left Boards now, funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Flit clicker

That’s what happens when you hire a token ceo who couldn’t run a tap

That’s what happens when you hire a token ceo

In fairness whilst she is poor, eir have been poor for years regardless of the owner or CEO....it's not a new thing.

To think they probably have a head of customer care paid a six figure salary.

Tried to get their 1GB broadband, a nightmare so abandoned it and doubt I'll ever go near them again, sanity has a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Do us a favor and come back after the bill comes. In a month or two you will find it mysteriously goes up with no explanation. No matter what deal you think you made or a contract the fact is EIR is terrible at billing as well as customer service.

In fairness whilst she is poor, eir have been poor for years regardless of the owner or CEO....it's not a new thing.

To think they probably have a head of customer care paid a six figure salary.

Tried to get their 1GB broadband, a nightmare so abandoned it and doubt I'll ever go near them again, sanity has a price.

How they are in business and treating customers with the way they do means they obviously have friends in the dail, need Pearse Doherty etc to ask questions about comregs ineffective toothless dealings with eir and co

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Had an issue with Eir a while ago and went into one of their stores to try get it sorted as I was having no luck with doing it over the phone.

The guy there didn't even try to hide his surprise and told me that loads of people are going through the same thing. At first Eir tried to blame the whole COVID19 thing but it became very obvious very quickly that it's their whole setup.

Apparently they are trying to hire more staff to fix the issue but are struggling and are losing experienced staff at a rapid rate so I can't see this improving any time soon.

this kinda answers what i came here to ask.
    we live in a village in the sticks, up a mountain, and we have been using a local isp (line of sight antenna to mast) and we have had issues for 2 years now....so, looking around to see what else is available.....no fibre here so standard "up to 30meg" according to eir site, with a time frame of "within 6 months" for fibre (been saying that on site for 3 years for our address)

i was wondering with all this public beating eir has took over customer service, that they will have to become very very good now with customer service....but is that too much of a gamble betting on that ?

dougm1970 wrote: »
    this kinda answers what i came here to ask.
    we live in a village in the sticks, up a mountain, and we have been using a local isp (line of sight antenna to mast) and we have had issues for 2 years now....so, looking around to see what else is available.....no fibre here so standard "up to 30meg" according to eir site, with a time frame of "within 6 months" for fibre (been saying that on site for 3 years for our address)

i was wondering with all this public beating eir has took over customer service, that they will have to become very very good now with customer service....but is that too much of a gamble betting on that ?

Eir simply don't care what ppl think simples

dougm1970 wrote: »

The regulator doesbt care and nor does eir and this problem is not new so I doubt anything is going to change anytime soon.

Enter a relationship with eir at your peril.

The regulator doesbt care and nor does eir and this problem is new so I doubt anything is going to change anytime soon.

Enter a relationship with eir at your peril.

You got that right

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paranoid Bob

Eir customers are having what the company describes as 'intermittent' faults making phone calls. 'Intermittent' in this case meaning no ability to make any phone calls for days.
    How does the customer care respond?
    By removing the option to report a fault on the website, directing customers to the 1901 number, and by removing the option to report landline faults when you call 1901.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paranoid Bob

Eir customers are having what the company describes as 'intermittent' faults making phone calls. 'Intermittent' in this case meaning no ability to make any phone calls for days.
    How does the customer care respond?
    By removing the option to report a fault on the website, directing customers to the 1901 number, and by removing the option to report landline faults when you call 1901.

... and when you do get through to someone (by reporting a broadband fault instead of a landline fault) they just hang up abruptly.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

whiterebel wrote: »
    You need to give Eir 30 days notice, your new provider takes care of everything else.

You don't need to give 30 days notice to cancel fixed services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,242 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    You don't need to give 30 days notice to cancel fixed services.

Contract says No

Advertisement