Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,123 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Whats wrong with exploring parts of ireland youve never seen this year instead of doing the usual sun holiday in costa del crappo?

I actually did look into it. Prices are ridiculous. First place I looked at was over 100e per person per night. That's before you pay for food & drink and with no guarantee of good weather. If the prices in Ireland were actually reasonable and attractions open, then I would have no problem touring around Ireland.

A rainy week in Kerry where I have nothing to do but book into a pub and pay over inflated prices on drink while paying 1000e to sleep there? Doesn't sound appealing now. And btw I don't usually do anything close to a 'usual sun holiday in Costa del Crappo'.

The cost of holidaying in Ireland is highly exaggerated and the enjoyment of it is heavily understated. I have regularly holidayed in Ireland over the last few years and found there are plenty of good prices out there, better food and drink than you will get anywhere, no tiring travel just drive where you are going with all your stuff, lots of nice places to see and things to do etc etc.

Our plan was to spend our holidays in Ireland this year pre-covid but now we are unlikely to go anywhere even in Ireland to minimise risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I wonder how the residents of the canaries (or inis mor for that matter) feel about people coming in? I'd imagine they'd appreciate if you'd keep the feck out.

Due to health reasons we had to keep to Ireland last year and had lovely visits in Dublin, Waterford, Skibb, & Louisburgh. Airbnb is the way to go as you get get a whole cottage/house which is great for a family group. I've contemplated doing something similar this year but what would we do when we got there? Something like a cycleway and walks might sound tempting but even then you can't do the pub lunch, museums, or shows if you're being sensible so is there a point going? What are ye doing getaway plans-wise this summer as it stands? Not just where but what are you getting up to as far as activities go?

Also, back the the first point, what's the deal between NI and Ireland as far as travel goes? Are they meant to quarantine when they enter Ireland or do they have free run of the place once we open up? If UK spikes would anyone dare shut the border even for health concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I wonder how the residents of the canaries (or inis mor for that matter) feel about people coming in? I'd imagine they'd appreciate if you'd keep the feck out.

From what I hear from residents, Inis Mór Islanders are very divided. Many wanted to hold off on the opening, others wanted restrictions lifted immediately. Nobody seems to have an agreed plan.
    Also, back the the first point, what's the deal between NI and Ireland as far as travel goes? Are they meant to quarantine when they enter Ireland or do they have free run of the place once we open up? If UK spikes would anyone dare shut the border even for health concerns?

If you're travelling on or going to NI you can wander around for up to 3 days I think, cause, you know 3 day rule...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

25% of the new cases from yesterday were international travellers. Seeing more tourists around again over the last week too.

Opening up restaurants and pubs will probably just encourage this more but at least flights will be banned from the US, Brazil, Russia and other country's still struggling to contain the spread from tomorrow.

Worryingly there's a breaking story suggesting the UK has been hiding the true number of new cases there and there are plenty of Brits out and about here already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Price of flights accommodation entertainment food with warm/hot weather beats
    driving accommodation food with a lottery chance of good weather. Ireland doesn't have a lot of things due to the laws of the land and mostly insurance. Hence not mention entertainment.

If and when I want to see Ireland I get there on the day and drive back.... Maybe do a one night bnb depending on travel distance.

Laviski wrote: »
    Price of flights accommodation entertainment food with warm/hot weather beats
    driving accommodation food with a lottery chance of good weather. Ireland doesn't have a lot of things due to the laws of the land and mostly insurance. Hence not mention entertainment.

If and when I want to see Ireland I get there on the day and drive back.... Maybe do a one night bnb depending on travel distance.

I happily do a week away in Ireland most years and in general it’s as if not more enjoyable than going abroad. If you get good weather it beats nearly everywhere imo.

Not sure what entertainment you are on about we have the best pubs in the world, great restaurants and some of the best sights to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

A week of sun or heading abroad just to save a few hundred euro all running the risk of getting corona and possibly dying or giving it to an elderly loved one which is likely a death sentence for them. I sometimes wonder whats wrong with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,438 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think anyone going on a foreign holiday this year is being a selfish t**t.

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think anyone going on a foreign holiday this year is being a selfish t**t.

It would not be unpopular at all bar among the minority of people who refuse to accept how serious the situation is, some of whom can be seen posting their rubbish here.

No one needs to go abroad from Ireland or no one needs to come here bar a very small number of situations. Wee are in a good position now and we could get back to something close to normal if we keep our borders shut. What’s better, have the county operating near normal soon or end up with a second wave and end up having to start introducing restrictions again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Wompa1 wrote: »
    25% of the new cases from yesterday were international travellers. Seeing more tourists around again over the last week too.

Opening up restaurants and pubs will probably just encourage this more but at least flights will be banned from the US, Brazil, Russia and other country's still struggling to contain the spread from tomorrow.

Worryingly there's a breaking story suggesting the UK has been hiding the true number of new cases there and there are plenty of Brits out and about here already.

Maybe they caught the virus from a irish person,

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It would not be unpopular at all bar among the minority of people who refuse to accept how serious the situation is, some of whom can be seen posting their rubbish here.

No one needs to go abroad from Ireland or no one needs to come here bar a very small number of situations.

So a Polish person living here whose parent is dying at home doesn't need to go and visit?

A merchant who makes their living importing stuff into Ireland doesn't need to do any business trips - not even to places with lower virus rates than we do.

Irish workers who are willing and able for fruit picking have magically been found?

And pilots/aircrew who flying in stocks of PPE or who fly out medical devices or pharmaceuticals that we make don't need to be travelling, either.

I'd agree re no one needs to go on holiday. Personally, I still hope that a trip to somewhere sunny might be possible in October. Am not counting on it though, and won't even consider booking until we see the situation in September.

So a Polish person living here whose parent is dying at home doesn't need to go and visit?

A merchant who makes their living importing stuff into Ireland doesn't need to do any business trips - not even to places with lower virus rates than we do.

Irish workers who are willing and able for fruit picking have magically been found?

And pilots/aircrew who flying in stocks of PPE or who fly out medical devices or pharmaceuticals that we make don't need to be travelling, either.

I'd agree re no one needs to go on holiday. Personally, I still hope that a trip to somewhere sunny might be possible in October. Am not counting on it though, and won't even consider booking until we see the situation in September.

If you read my post correctly you would see that for a small number of situations travel would be allowed: that would cover things like visiting sick relatives, funerals etc and of course PPe flight and even food importation on trucks and all that sort of thing should continue.

The fruit pickers should never have been let in, if they really had to find irish people they would have had no choice. Same for a merchant, can be done over zoom like everyone else is doing their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

If you read my post correctly you would see that for a small number of situations travel would be allowed: that would cover things like visiting sick relatives, funerals etc and of course PPe flight and even food importation on trucks and all that sort of thing should continue.

The fruit pickers should never have been let in, if they really had to find irish people they would have had no choice. Same for a merchant, can be done over zoom like everyone else is doing their work.

Farming and food production should always be a priority in times like this Nox.

Farming practices were protected and allowed to carry on for obvious good reasons during lockdown. Keelings adopted the 'pod' module by separating farming staff from the general population, were housed together away from everyone else, were health vetted and got to work. The farmers in North County Dublin did a recruitment drive before and after the backlash and had very little options. Irish workers weren't willing to carry out the work to save the farms.

I have family involved in the berry, fruit and flower production industry in the fertile lands of North county Dublin and the foreign workers didn't cause clusters like the careless beef meatpacker clusters that are popping up all over the midlands!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Maybe they caught the virus from a irish person,

Maybe.

One thing for sure is that if they didn't travel here, they wouldn't be here with a positive COVID-19 diagnosis...

Also, yesterday evening it was revealed that the ban won't be applicable to travel into Ireland. Ireland was invited to participate but we are unable to due to the UK declining to join the ban and us sharing a border with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Wompa1 wrote: »

Also, yesterday evening it was revealed that the ban won't be applicable to travel into Ireland. Ireland was invited to participate but we are unable to due to the UK declining to join the ban and us sharing a border with them.

There's US and UK tourists now, and it's only going to increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Well happy days!

Now ourselves and the UK are the only two countries in Europe accepting American tourists.
    It's in the New York Times today that these are the only two options now for US tourists planning a holiday abroad in the EU.
    That makes us the only sensible option for such tourists,as our virus levels are nothing compared to the UKs.
    So we will all can expect to be enjoying our "staycations" sharing dining rooms and lounges with Americans/Covidians and coming home with more than a stick of rock as a souvenir.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Well happy days!

Now ourselves and the UK are the only two countries in Europe accepting American tourists.
    It's in the New York Times today that these are the only two options now for US tourists planning a holiday abroad in the EU.
    That makes us the only sensible option for such tourists,as our virus levels are nothing compared to the UKs.
    So we will all can expect to be enjoying our "staycations" sharing dining rooms and lounges with Americans/Covidians and coming home with more than a stick of rock as a souvenir.

You've been talking/worrying about spikes etc for well over two months, none have happened.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

You've been talking/worrying about spikes etc for well over two months, none have happened.

And let's hope sensible measures are in place, and are followed, to ensure that it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Black Lives Matter protest may have sparked new Covid spike among 20 to 30-year-olds in Birmingham | Daily Mail Online
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8478133/Black-Lives-Matter-protest-sparked-new-Covid-spike-20-30-year-olds-Birmingham.html

unreal. we were lucky this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

The Salthill funfair seems to be getting ready to open - they've added the passenger cabins to the big wheel in the last few days. There are also barriers for what looks like a queuing system and a Covid info sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

To be honest i would have more time for someone being overly cautious, than i would a flippant and ignorant eejit.This virus can make people seriously ill, and i don't think that people who come across as worried, should be subjected to ridicule.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 11,978 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

To be honest i would have more time for someone being overly cautious, than i would a flippant and ignorant eejit.This virus can make people seriously ill, and i don't think that people who come across as worried, should be subjected to ridicule.

Don't think there was any ridicule, just facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

Called in to All 4 Baby on Tuam Road, they say they're busier than ever now that Mothercare has closed.

Will be a big boost for local businesses in the same sector. They're recruiting, will be great if the Mothercare staff can get jobs in the local baby shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What do you make of this latest news today

https://www.rte.ie/news/health/2020/0703/1151127-virus-report/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storm 10 wrote: »

Unsurprising.

In the same way that pneumonia is the "old man's friend" Covid will have been the cause of death of some people who would have died of something else in the same time period.

The excess deaths id a better measure of the seriousness of this new virus, and is still large enough to be a problem worth addressing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I think it should be in the main Covid thread not the galway chat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I think the last line in the article probably hits the nail on the head
    However, he also said that changes to healthcare delivery – like suspending elective activity in public acute hospitals – might have a lasting impact on health outcomes that could take years to be seen.
    Anecdotally I've heard that a lot of people are avoiding going to doctors, A&E, etc. for things at the moment due to fear of Coronavirus infection. Similarly, I'm sure the provision of healthcare is being effected (regular appointments cancelled, etc.). I'm surprised it's having such an immediate effect. What's most worrying to me is the effect this will have long-term, since things like cancer screenings are not being done. Things where timely intervention are key to survival rates. Would rather they have been started back up before pubs and hairdressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

One new case in Galway yesterday according to the city tribune's Facebook. After a run of 14 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,438 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Actual conversation in city centre hotel:

Customer: Can I have two pints?
    Manager: You must order a meal to get alcohol.
    Customer: I had a meal here last night.

Thoughts are with hospitality staff during this difficult time.

Advertisement