Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Letterman - scumbag?

• 23-05-2015 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ Troy Abundant Vane

Was anyone else slightly baffled by the adulation for David Letterman that was all over the internet this week?

The man has almost no charisma. For evidence of this, see the abomination that was his hosting of the Oscars in 1995.

Not only that, he exploited his power at CBS to conduct multiple affairs with staff members.

When he was in his mid-40s, he bedded Holly Hester, an intern at the station and student at New York University. All while he was married to his wife, Regina Lasko.

The man should have been fired out on his ass after that revelation. Jonathan Ross' career was driven into the ground in Britain was something positively mild by comparison.

No doubt some will come to his defense, but remember, a significant portion of the girls Jimmy Savile had sex with were 18 and over (around 27%).

While what David Letterman did is not nearly as bad as what Savile did, it's still a much older male celebrity using his status as a television personality to sleep with much younger girls who have zero power in their relationship.

Comments

No doubt some will come to his defense, but remember, a significant portion of the girls Jimmy Savile had sex with were 18 and over (around 27%).

You lost me here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

As far as I know,he's only been married to her one about 8/9 years or so.
    He's a bit of a strange one all right but I think you need to get your sh*t straight before posting a sweeping statement like that tbh,do some basic research.
    I may be wrong but....

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭georgieM

Where did you pull that figure out off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Was anyone else slightly baffled by the adulation for David Letterman that was all over the internet this week?

The man has almost no charisma. For evidence of this, see the abomination that was his hosting of the Oscars in 1995.

Not only that, he exploited his power at CBS to conduct multiple affairs with staff members.

When he was in his mid-40s, he bedded Holly Hester, an intern at the station and student at New York University. All while he was married to his wife, Regina Lasko.

The man should have been fired out on his ass after that revelation. Jonathan Ross' career was driven into the ground in Britain was something positively mild by comparison.

While what David Letterman did is not nearly as bad as what Savile did, it's still a much older male celebrity using his status as a television personality to sleep with much younger girls who have zero power in their relationship.

Are you a member of the moral police force?

27% is a significant proportion?!?
    Your maths are shockingly bad......

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

You lost me here.

I think he's trying to point out that two people doing something that is not illegal has something in common with something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ Troy Abundant Vane

As far as I know,he's only been married to her one about 8/9 years or so.
    He's a bit of a strange one all right but I think you need to get your sh*t straight before posting a sweeping statement like that tbh,do some basic research.
    I may be wrong but....

His wife is Regina Lasko. He's been in a relationship with her since 1988. He began sleeping with Holly Hester when she was an intern in the early 1990s.

georgieM wrote: »
    Where did you pull that figure out off?

I pulled it out of Article 2.14 of ‘Giving Victims a Voice’, a joint MPS and NSPCC report into allegations of sexual abuse made against Jimmy Savile under Operation Yewtree.

You can read it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Shocker, man has sex.

What does him having an affair have to do with being a host on television?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Oppression of male sexuality and objectification of men as rapists.

Im insulted.

wah wah equality etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

I pulled it out of Article 2.14 of ‘Giving Victims a Voice’, a joint MPS and NSPCC report into allegations of sexual abuse made against Jimmy Savile under Operation Yewtree.

You can read it here.

And somehow a man having consentual (if unfaithful) sex is that same as a pedophile who molested kids?

Are you fúcking serious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Durty Fecker

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Who needs the daily mail when you have boards. Beautiful.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Shocker, man has sex.

What does him having an affair have to do with being a host on television?

A millionaire in his 40s with his own television show in New York has significant power over a student interning at the place where said show is filmed.

Regardless of whether Holly Hester thinks she was an equal in their 'relationship', she wasn't. It was seedy exploitation, plain and simple.

And he was a fucking shit TV host.

His wife is Regina Lasko. He's been in a relationship with her since 1988. He began sleeping with Holly Hester when she was an intern in the early 1990s.

But when did he marry the girl is my point.......

I really don't see your point anyway,moral outrage at this hour....I'd hate to see your reaction tommorow when the yes vote is passed.

That horse your on must be 18 hand high.
    And......ye posted in ah? The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

it's still a much older male celebrity using his status as a television personality to sleep with much younger girls who have zero power in their relationship.

Why you don't think women can make grown women can make decisions now?
    He gets sex, they probably got promotions.

Why are you being ageist on both counts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

A millionaire in his 40s with his own television show in New York has significant power over a student interning at the place where said show is filmed.

Regardless of whether Holly Hester thinks she was an equal in their 'relationship', she wasn't. It was seedy exploitation, plain and simple.

Seedy is good. Power seedy is even better.

I hope Paul Shafer played him out as he busted his goofy nut all over the little harlet.

But when did he marry the girl is my point.......

I really don't see your point anyway,moral outrage at this hour....I'd hate to see your reaction tommorow when the yes vote is passed.

That horse your on must be 18 hand high.
    And......ye posted in ah? The mind boggles.

Firstly, learn how to use the 'Quote' button properly.

Secondly, I'm 100% pro-same sex marriage, so I'll be delighted if it's passed tomorrow. That has fuck all to do with the adulation for a man who managed to keep the millions rolling in even after his lecherous ways were exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Would you not rather another Good Mass !

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 17,186 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Automatically assuming a man is guilty of such things with no evidence to back it up is disgusting.

5000 shows he did, not bad for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

There very little "equality" in relationships then. Not really up to you to police it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Firstly, learn how to use the 'Quote' button properly.

Secondly, I'm 100% pro-same sex marriage, so I'll be delighted if it's passed tomorrow. That has fuck all to do with the adulation for a man who managed to keep the millions rolling in even after his lecherous ways were exposed.

Hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

I don't give a f*ck of who he f*cked in the 90's. F*ckidy f*ck f*ck op.

F*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

I like him, even if his pencils have erasers at both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Footie??

Letterman was one of the sharpest night host over here. Unlike the unfunny Fallon and fawning Corden et al Letterman made people laugh.

His 6,000 plus shows are a testament to that. The finale was class.

He had affairs. Big deal. At least he was honest about it and didnt deny them like other celebs.

Comparing him to Savile is beyond stupid.

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Letterman was one of the sharpest night host over here. Unlike the unfunny Fallon and fawning Corden et al Letterman made people laugh.

I half-agree with you. Fallon and Corden are both shite.
    SHOVELLER wrote: »
    He had affairs. Big deal. At least he was honest about it and didnt deny them like other celebs.

He only admitted his affairs when he knew they were going to be exposed either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

OP

Are you high?

• He's no Bill Cosby.

Plus he probably has more to him than saying "with the jippity skippity and the bee bop".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I always felt Letterman was a cut above most other chat show hosts and comparing him to Savile is just brainless. "Powerful man has affair"? So fcuking what. Do we compare Clinton to Savile too now? Not even Republicans stoop that low.

As for his ability as a talk show host - some of the stuff he did was great. He didn't always fawn over guests if he didn't like them. See his interview with Paris Hilton from around 07 as a classic example.

See his taking the mick out of Leno in 2010 over the whole Conan/Tonight Show debacle too. It was a tremendous, funny rant.

I understand that his final show was devoid of sentimentality and he spent much of it taking the piss out of himself. That's what marked him out as different for me amongst talk show hosts (particularly US ones). Good luck to the fella. A supremely talented talk show host and if his family can forgive him his other failings, I dont think people on a message board should be getting too upset about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

27% is a significant proportion?!?
    Your maths are shockingly bad......

"I'm sorry, Mr. Emigrate2012 - we're going to have to reduce your salary/penis length/life-span by 27%..."
    Fine by me! It's an insignificant proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I've never agreed with the power dynamic argument when it comes to adults having sex. If you're over 18, you can consent to ride anyone else over 18. In my opinion, regardless of their age or relationship to one another, two consenting adults cannot commit a moral wrong between them.

I furthermore don't believe anyone should lose their job over anything sexual as long as it wasn't illegal. That's ridiculous.

Advertisement