Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 239 Jones Vs Santos

• 04-07-2019 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

surprised no one had a thread running for this.

anyone give Santos more than a punchers chance?

who will be the upset? 67 votes

Jones to win
    28% 19 votes
    Santos to win
    14% 10 votes
    Nunes to win
    1% 1 vote
    Holm to win
    16% 11 votes
    Askren to win
    1% 1 vote
    Masvidal to win
    11% 8 votes
    Rockhold to win
    4% 3 votes
    Blachowicz to win
    7% 5 votes
    Chiesa to win
    4% 3 votes
    Sanchez to win
    8% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

1.png
    2.png
    3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Personally I'm only interested in the Nunes v Holm and Masvidal v Askren fights. I don't think Nunes will come out as aggressive as she did against Rousey & Cyborg but I'd love if she did. Let's see how Holm would react to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

im interested to see how rockhold does in his first fight at LH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭magic_murph

tommyboy26 wrote: »

It will be tough for him - he’s been out of action for quite a while. Was his last fight against bisping? I think he might of had one other fight since.

It will be tough for him - he’s been out of action for quite a while. Was his last fight against bisping? I think he might of had one other fight since.

He beat branch by tko in sept 2017 then Yoel KO'd him in feb 2018
    yoel also kissed him and said he loved him:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭magic_murph

He beat branch by tko in sept 2017 then Yoel KO'd him in feb 2018
    yoel also kissed him and said he loved him:D:D

Forgot about branch but do remember Yoel - what a legend - looking forward to seeing him fight again.
    Rockhold is just a bit bla for my liking - skilled but his arrogance goes against him - compared to some other fighters where it helps boost them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Between it being a Jones headline and this PPV b0ll0x I had kinda dismissed this one. Although now that I actually look at the card, there are some very decent fights. Ah i'll give it a watch at some stage on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Interested in seeing how Jones deals with Santos given that Santos is powerful and is well able to fire kicks. He demolished Smith with one though I thought Smith took that fight too soon after his loss to Jones

5 round unanimous decision for Jones I reckon based on him keeping distance and picking off a guy who, as a former paratrooper, should be tough enough to go the distance

Really, really want to see Masvidal get the win too, he's been a gem lately in the media and he looked unbelievable against Till. Nunes too, really want to see her cement her legacy with more defences of the belt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭xtal191

Huh? Smith fought Santos well before he fought Jones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

It's been a while but looking forward to this card.

Santos is getting stopped, Jones is going to pick him apart and we'll either see him finished with Jones elbowing him into oblivion from top position or just eating shots against the fence or maybe Jones will decide to snatch his neck in a guillotine.

Nunes by decision
    Askren by decision (hoping Masvidal pulls the upset though)
    Rockhold by decision
    Chiesa by sub

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Autecher wrote: »
    Personally I'm only interested in the Nunes v Holm and Masvidal v Askren fights. I don't think Nunes will come out as aggressive as she did against Rousey & Cyborg but I'd love if she did. Let's see how Holm would react to that.

Yeah they're the two for me aswell. Nunes vs Holly should've headlined an event. Fascinating match up. I can't see Nunes throwing wild overhands at her from the get go or she'll get her head knocked off. Holly is a boxer first remember. One of the best ever.

Fun fact though.

With a win over Holly Holm, Amanda Nunes will have beaten every UFC/Bellator Featherweight & Bantamweight champion in history. It's taken her just a combined 524 seconds to defeat the rest.

Cyborg✔
    GDR ✔
    Rousey✔
    Tate ✔
    Budd✔

• Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I would love if Holm can get the job done but if Nunes comes out aggressive, it will be another quick one, she's an absolute beast.

Gadelha Markos should be a good scrap, some nice fights on the card.

Also, I like the poll, nice easy way to see opinions on multiple fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

If you can sort out a VPN to point to Holland this can be watched for free.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/c980tv/reminder_watch_upcoming_ppv_legally_and_for_free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Autecher wrote: »
    I imagine she'd like that, being a counter striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Can’t wait for Askren v Masvidal. Definitely the people’s main event like Ferguson v Cowboy was.

Hope Holly can pull it out of the bag. I at least think it could go the distance. Will be surprised if Amanda blitzes her and gets an early finish.

Obviously hope Jones gets smoked.

Rockholds LHW debut, mental Diego and Gilbert v Allen are all interesting as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I'd rate Rockhold more than Błachowicz but I'm expecting him to get knocked out clean. Moving up to LHW when Bisping and Yoel Romero knocked him out at MW seems like a stupid move. I expect him to retire if he gets knocked out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

If there is one fighter I dislike it's Luke Rockhold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

d5417268-5166-40b7-91d1-1ce036136663-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds[\IMG]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

First UFC I've been looking forward to properly in a long time.

Would love to see Santos and Masvidal come out on top but think it's too much to ask for them.

Luke Rockhold is getting KOd or ruined over 3 rounds unfortunately.

Hope Diego Sanchez comes out on top against Michael Chiesa and is going into UFC Hall of Fame I believe.

Can't see Amanda Nunes slowing down to let Holm have any chance of competing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So just how much is the PPV in Ireland? I'm not paying it BTW, just curious.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    So just how much is the PPV in Ireland? I'm not paying it BTW, just curious.

20 GBP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭harr

Just Realised this is now PPV , what an absolute pain. I won’t be paying it but I would normally record it to sky box and watch on Sunday morning.
    Why the sudden switch to PPV ? Can’t even Order it through the sky box.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Apparently it's repeated next Friday on BT Sports. So just delete all your social media accounts, take a week off work and live in a tent in the garden til then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Holm to lose and retire afterwards. Calling it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

dulux99 wrote: »
    Holm to lose and retire afterwards. Calling it now.

No chance. Shes just signed a huge new deal. 6 fights.

giphy.gif

If she loses she'll have a rather disappointing 5-5 record in the UFC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Holm is 37 so coming to end but I think Nunes will have some difficulty if Holm can get her kicking game going and keep Nunes away from her.

I think Holm will win by KO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Senor Frog

Blueshoe wrote: »
    If there is one fighter I dislike it's Luke Rockhold.

Seems to be a popular opinion , but tbh I don't get it , it's not a personality contest .He always tried to give his best in the past (outside of overlooking bisbing in their rematch ), he has serious skills on the feet and the ground . He is vocal about drug cheats in MMA aswell, which for me is a major plus in the modern culture of it just being swept under the carpet . If the weight cut was a factor in his chin issues then a rejuvenated Rockhold could be in some entertaining bouts a lhw. Have included him by sub in a very outlandish accum for tonight's card....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Holm is 37 so coming to end but I think Nunes will have some difficulty if Holm can get her kicking game going and keep Nunes away from her.

I think Holm will win by KO :)

Holm has only had head kick success against rousey and correia, 2 of the worst standup fighters in the ufc. Holms punches are nothing more than very repetitive lunge in combinations so she always falls short against skilled fighters. I don't think Nunes will allow herself to get headkicked and Hollys hands are not a threat. You never know though, I think most likely is really boring fight where Nunes keeps her distance, making Holly miss alot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,798 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

cant make a case for santos at all, think jones will break him down and finish him late on

I don't think the nunes fight will be the most entertaining either but she should be able to win it on pts

really looking forward to masvida diego and very curious to see how luke gets on here

Advertisement